Search this Thread
Old 9th April 2017, 10:41   #3016
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: The Hindi Movies Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
Has anyone seen "Naam Shabana"

How is it?
Watched it last week. I must say I was disappointed. Considering the fact that I loved "Baby", I was hoping similar standards.
The movie has a very weak story. The whole movie is broken into 2 parts - 1st half shows the personal life of Shabana which led her to join the "forces" in the second half. Lots of good actors are wasted due to lack of role.

Acting is very good as expected. Movie can be passed and can be watched on TV later.

Overall 2.5/5
Old 10th April 2017, 08:24   #3017
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivek95 View Post
I watched it on the second day of release. There's nothing exceptional about the movie, but keeps you engrossed throughout. An average one time watch but far better than nonsense movies like Jolly LLB2. I would rate 3/5.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashis89 View Post
Watched it last week. I must say I was disappointed. Considering the fact that I loved "Baby", I was hoping similar standards. The movie has a very weak story. The whole movie is broken into 2 parts - 1st half shows the personal life of Shabana which led her to join the "forces" in the second half. Lots of good actors are wasted due to lack of role.
Thanks for the feedback!

Yes, it was a good movie and as you rightly said nothing spectacular but, it was engrossing till the last frame with last 15-20 minutes getting dragged

Overall, good acting by Tapsee Pannu and she is rising up quickly as an action star. Prithviraj was excellent too in his portrayal of the villain

It's a good watch for sure

3/5
Old 15th April 2017, 00:55   #3018
BHPian

Begum Jaan = Tata Bolt (no offence meant to owners)
Need I say more ?

What looks good on paper doesn't deliver in real life.
The Engine read script despite unique failed miserably due to driver (script writer /director in this case) . If you can make a creative connection between the car and the black hole in space then do watch the movie. Yes the period in which it's set and the theme are as far apart as my example. Not to mention the art director failed completely in providing the correct background (example - modern day bangles and hooks in star cast clothes or the super bright headlamps of car which was impossible in British Raj cars)
The accelerator pedal read Vidya was a dud. Doesn't matter how much you press there was no movement. Vidya failed not just in getting in the character but also in the basic of natural dialogue delivery.
The brake pedals read naseer, rajit and Ashish though sharp in their bite (talent) just got wasted again.
The pistons read the other six seven girls less said the better. I hope I don't have to see any of them ever in a movie.
The biggest failure is the director Shujit Mukherjee who failed to give the ride quality which felt bumpy, bone (mind ) jarring and clueless.
The two best part of the movie was Interval and Ending.

I do hope these directors learn that showing skin and using swear words are not enough to sell a movie.
Old 2nd May 2017, 20:27   #3019
BHPian

Baahubali 2: The Conclusion

One word Epic! The movie is grand, the best part is when you feel that the VFX is just as part of the regular scene. There is definately an issue with Scaling when VFX takes over, but being a first regional production to achieve such a grand scale is astonishing.

Credit is to due, where Credit is deserved. You have to forgive some of the liberties taken by the director to really enjoy the movie. When you go for a movie, there is no point being overly critical if you like the movie 2/3rd of its way, which is what I felt. Hats off to the presense of Prabahas in certain scenes ( Maybe its the Slo-Mo camera work ) but it does work in putting his brand as the deserved king!

Trial scene is excellent and so is Anushka.

Must watch in theatres..or you will be nitpicking it on TV for sure!

Rating 4.5/5

Gazi Attack:
Too dramatic and blatant 1st half bad copy of Crimson Tide ( Just makes you appreciate Gene Hackman and Denzel Washington's acting) and the use of torpedoes was way over my liking!

1/5.
Old 7th May 2017, 10:36   #3020
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fraz33r View Post
Must watch in theatres..or you will be nitpicking it on TV for sure!

Rating 4.5/5
Many thanks! Was waiting for a review of this big movie on the thread. It's already grossed 250 crores or so in India . Mom's been keen on going for it, so will now take her.

Or alternatively, she can watch Bahubali while we watch Furious 8 in the adjoining theatre . Still to see it.
Old 7th May 2017, 11:37   #3021
BHPian

Baahubali 2 is definitely a must watch in theaters.

I see a lot of people watching it on their laptops, etc. and then cribbing about it: Iss movie mein aisa kya hai jo public pagal hui ja rhi hai?? (What's so special about this movie that people are going mad over it??)

You have to watch it in theater to believe it, to experience it, to appreciate it and to love it.

Bollywood can't even think of making a movie like this mainly because the budget in the usual Bollywood movies is reserved for satiating the egos of the mega stars and only about a sixth of the budget is used for content creation.

In this movie however, at least a bigger portion of the budget has been utilized towards content.

Background score also sounds brilliant although the song lyrics could have done better for the Hindi version.
Cinematography, sound design and editing is top notch.

Last edited by Aditya : 29th May 2017 at 08:01.
Old 11th May 2017, 15:22   #3022
BHPian

Baahubali 2: The Conclusion

Must watch in a theater because of the VFX and sound effects. South movies are way ahead of the Bollywood mainstream movies due to the importance given to art and creativity. (Try and watch the Malayalam movie Pulimurugan and you will know what I mean)
Couple of issues I found was 1) the length of the movie 2) the song lyrics in hindi.
The sequence I liked the best was Prabhas and Anushka shooting multiple arrows using one bow. Though the end effect of each arrow finding the right target every time defies logic and physics but hey, who cares in a movie, right?

Rating : 4/5
Old 13th May 2017, 17:44   #3023
BANNED

Watched Bahubali. It is definitely an achievement in Indian cinema to make a movie of this scale. All the VFX scenes are spectacular. But, hands down the best scenes are those of the Pattabhishekam (crowning of the new King). That grandeur and the ceremonial sweeps made that sequence an absolute delight. Kudos to the director and the team for this piece of work that must have drawn every fiber of energy out of them.

But, having said all that, I do feel that this story could end up reinforcing the notion that sons are more valuable than daughters. I say this despite the fact that the power of the women characters in the movie is as plain as daylight - Sivagami and Devasena are some of the strongest characters in Indian cinema........... And yet, it is entirely possible for some people to selectively appreciate the strengths of the male characters in the movie and completely miss the role of the women. I sincerely hope that that doesn't happen though.

P. S.

The power of the male characters is discussed constantly and played out in multiple dimensions - be it their physicality, or their ability to draw on endless reserves of will and strength to never fall in battle. Case in point is Balladeva who appears to have only gotten stronger with time. It is also hinted at that Bahubali Sr. would have never died had it not been for the fact that it was Kattappa who stuck that knife in his back. And heck, even Kattappa is shown to be practically invincible. Old age has nothing on these men. At least, that's the message.
Old 14th May 2017, 10:58   #3024
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Sarkar 3 = 2 / 5 stars

Sarkar 1 was excellent, 2 was okay, 3 is best watched on TV at home (if you're a fan of the series).

The movie has nothing new in terms of the story; a lot of the same stuff repeated including the dialogues ("aadmi ki soch...."). I feel the talented Manoj Bajpai was wasted in this role. Not even understanding why Jackie Shroff had a part here - all of his scenes are annoying. Equally, I might add that Amit Sadh has done his role justice, especially in the second half where he's very convincing.

The end has an interesting twist. But overall, it's a waste of a movie.
Old 14th May 2017, 11:12   #3025
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sukhoi30 View Post
Though the end effect of each arrow finding the right target every time defies logic and physics but hey, who cares in a movie, right?
That is somewhat acceptable. What I found annoying was the final battle scene with soldiers being hurled hundreds of meters and across enemy walls. That was too much. In fact the final battle seemed a bit rushed to me. But overall it was good to watch.
Old 20th May 2017, 20:18   #3026
Distinguished - BHPian

Hindi Medium

This movie deals with a very relevant subject of Indian mentalities and our perceptions of how inability to speak in English automatically makes you a "Ghati or Desi" . And, as rightly highlighted in the movie, we have no problems if an Italian or a French stumbles in basic English. Yeah, it deals with our hypocrisy !!

It's a story of an affluent couple in Delhi from Chandi Chowk with a weak English background but with a strong desire bordering to almost an obsession of giving an excellent English education to their daughter. The story deals with what all they go through to get their daughter an admission into a premier school that accidentally turns into hilarious situations

Irrfan Khan and Saba Qamar (Pak Actress) as the couple totally ruled the movie with a special mention for Irrfan's acting and dialogue delivery that turned the whole movie into a laugh-a-minute riot (especially till the intermission). This movie delivers humor subtly and is completely enjoyable. A truly amusing movie after a long time in Bollywood

Excellent supporting act by Deepak Dobriyal both during the funny moments and some during emotional moments that might leave a lump in your throat.

I will be disappointed if Irrfan Khan is not given an award for his effortlessly funny act (even a "Best Comedian" award would be appropriate for his wonderful acting) !!

Bollywood is overdoing the now popular Delhi rustic style but, this movie carries this theme quite well than most others.

Great direction, dialogues and a story-line that deals with a valid social issue narrated in a light and fluffy manner.

Highly recommend to watch this movie !!

4.5/5

Last edited by mobike008 : 20th May 2017 at 20:19.
Old 24th May 2017, 04:08   #3027
BHPian

Back from Hindi Medium and what an amazing movie. It is incredibly funny in the first half, much more than I expected. Who knew Irfan could make you genuinely laugh out loud?! It kind of unravels in the end with the usual preachy goodness message that movies try to climax with, but overall a solid watch with great performances, specially from Irfan and Deepak Dobriyal (pappi). Very funny, and very touching. There's heart in the film, and it is in the right place. Go watch.
Old 24th May 2017, 13:37   #3028
BHPian

Hindi Medium

I won't digress from the the other reviewers. It is really a great story and the first half is really hilarious. After a long time able to see a hindi movie with entire family and see everyone enjoy together.
Full marks to Irfan, Saba and Deepak. Awesome and realistic portrayal of the characters.

4/5
Old 28th May 2017, 22:03   #3029
BHPian

Hindi Medium

Honestly I was of an opinion that Irfan Khan is not such a good actor but his acting in this film has made me think otherwise. Saba Qamar and Deepak Dobriyal have given excellent performances. Direction is top notch.

The story line is very relevant in light of the present day school admissions. Again it also reflects the current generation parents' ideas about "educating" their wards and their false sense of elevated status if their wards are studying in "elite" schools.

5/5
Old 28th May 2017, 22:09   #3030
Team-BHP Support

Hindi Medium = 4.5 stars.

Will not add anything new to the reviews already posted except corroborate the rating. If you can ignore the last 5 minutes, it is a fantastic movie. And the movie seems to be doing good on word of mouth publicity - it was a full house on a Friday late night show.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks