Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th September 2017, 18:53   #3046
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: The Hindi Movies Thread

Just returned home from watching Daddy.

The good: Storyline (I LOVE gangster movies) & Arjun Rampal's acting.

The bad: Slow pace. Story lacks punch - it's certainly no 'Satya' that has you on the edge of your seat.

But definitely worth one watch. Rating = 3.5 / 5 stars. If you watch it in the theatre, you won't regret it. If you watch it on TV later, you won't regret not going to the theatre.

Old 11th September 2017, 09:01   #3047
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
I watched it on Saturday. As you rightly pointed out, it lacked the punch of the original gangster movies like Satya OR depicting violence like it was shown in Rakhta Charitra.

I reckon it's not easy to make these movie like RGV as he specializes in this category

Overall the movie was slow and not gripping at all

Arjun Rampal did a fabulous job and there were quite a few unknown faces in the movie who too stood out briefly and I particularly like Babu Resham

If you decide to skip it. No big loss

2/5
Old 11th September 2017, 09:38   #3048
Team-BHP Support

Sameer has been getting good reviews but is being shown only on ONE screen in Delhi and that too in the morning. Really want to catch up with this one. The lead actor is someone I like - he was the one who played Jessica's killer in Nobody Killed Jessica.
Old 11th September 2017, 13:30   #3049
BHPian

Quote:
I too love gangster movies. Just watched the making videos of Daddy on youtube. Looks like it was an adventure in itself.

Shooting in shady locations with shady characters. Some local dada threatening to break off Arjun's legs. Rats falling off the ceiling with Arjun having to pick it up. Receiving a call from the real Daddy. These are some of the behind the scenes included in the videos.

These kind of videos makes one realise that making films is not all fun and laughs and these people go to extreme lengths in order to make a film.
Old 16th September 2017, 18:58   #3050
GTO
Team-BHP Support

If someone plans to watch Lucknow Central, please share a review here.

Am a big Farhan Akhtar fan and used to watch all of his movies without checking reviews (Rock On, Luck by Chance, Bhaag Milka Bhaag etc.). However, after wasting a couple of hours on that disaster called Rock On 2, I've learnt my lesson.

Thanks!
Old 16th September 2017, 19:16   #3051
BHPian

Hindi Medium.

Watched with no great expectations but movie picks up pace slowly and it was a laugh riot in places. Overall, a good engagement throughout and worth a watch, especially if you can relate to Delhi/Hindi speaking belt. The story line is simple and conveys a subtle message about inequalities in our society.

3.5/5
Old 23rd September 2017, 20:04   #3052
BHPian

Watched "Newton" today.

A political comedy satire, which is India's entry to the Oscars, is definitely a worth watch for its depiction of the election process in the Naxal affected Chhattisgarh forests.

Excellent acting by all the actors, especially Rajkummar Rao and Pankaj Tripathi. Photography is excellent.

Rating : 4.5 / 5
Old 23rd September 2017, 21:23   #3053
BHPian

Quote:
If someone plans to watch Lucknow Central, please share a review here.

Am a big Farhan Akhtar fan and used to watch all of his movies without checking reviews (Rock On, Luck by Chance, Bhaag Milka Bhaag etc.). However, after wasting a couple of hours on that disaster called Rock On 2, I've learnt my lesson.

Thanks!

I did watch it, and frankly was not that impressed. The story line is engrossing in parts but overall the movie is really predictable!

I am the same, a big Farhan Akhtar fan, but still could not bring myself to watch Rock on 2 and that seemed to be a good decision!
Old 2nd October 2017, 19:23   #3054
Team-BHP Support

Saw Newton today.

I'd heard and read a lot of the movie so went to the theatres and was frankly disappointed.

Sure, the movie brilliantly captures the sad state of affairs of people caught in the crossfire between the Govt. and the rebels (Maoist/Naxals). But that's only for a fleeting couple of minutes.

The bulk of the movie is about how an idealist (Rajkumar Rao) wants to go about things according to textbook: he will fight the Army men (who are reluctant to risk their lives just so some votes can be cast) sent to protect him just so can get people to vote, will make sure the polling booth is operational for the entire time that is expected to be such.

The movie is less about the life of the tribals, and more about how this one person wants to be punctual and diligent.

A few laughs here and there, some touching photography and some punch lines. And very slow.

Definitely not worth the hype.

In fact, when the movie ended, a lot of people were surprised it did.

Old 2nd October 2017, 20:34   #3055
Senior - BHPian

Precisely why I watched Judwaa 2 by spending 14$ ! I expected Newton to be good, but slow to watch in a theatre.

Coming to Judwaa 2, same story line as the first one. Varun Dhawan is a treat to watch. I see a bright future for him. He does his coming acting as well as serious roles with perfection. He can become the next door boy and the next door gunda ! Jacquiline is becoming the comedy queen, mostly seen in comedy movies !

Overall, all the desi people laughed heartily in the theatre along with me ! If you want some relaxed evening, good punchlines and good cominc timings, go watch Judwaa 2. (It is one of the better Sajid Khan movies )
Old 4th October 2017, 19:46   #3056
Senior - BHPian

Watched Judwaa 2.

First things first I like Varun Dhawan and enjoy his movies. This one was ok. I tried not to compare it with the original with Salman but they kept too many references to that movie and that's what made it more and more obvious on how this movie is desperately trying to cash in on the original. Nothing wrong with that except that it only made me feel how better the original was & Salman was simply great in that role.

Too many cliches and artistic liberties which is not new for DD movie but felt a little out of place after his recent movies.

Anyways overall its a nice watch just wish they had kept it more original & Varun wasn't forced to mimic Salman's mannerisms.
Old 4th October 2017, 22:27   #3057
Oxy
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soumyajit9 View Post
Overall, all the desi people laughed heartily in the theatre along with me ! If you want some relaxed evening, good punchlines and good cominc timings, go watch Judwaa 2. (It is one of the better Sajid Khan movies )
It is not a Sajid Khan movie.

It's directed by David Dhawan (Varun's father), the same guy who made the original Judwaa.
Old 4th October 2017, 22:31   #3058
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technocrat View Post
Watched Judwaa 2...... wish they had kept it more original & Varun wasn't forced to mimic Salman's mannerisms.
Totally agree on that point. The ending extra scene was so damn unncessary.
Felt like a Salman Khan paid act

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oxy View Post
It is not a Sajid Khan movie.
It's directed by David Dhawan (Varun's father), the same guy who made the original Judwaa.
Oops ! I thought it was Sajid's ! My bad. Makes me more happy then
Old 21st October 2017, 20:24   #3059
Senior - BHPian

Had the misfortune of watching Golmaal Again (tagged along with the family who had liked one of the golmaal movies). You would do yourself a great favour by skipping it, unless you are a great fan of such kind of movies. Even my family was feeling bad that they spent time and money to watch this one.

I did not like "Judwaa 2" one bit. The original Judwaa was still quite good in both Telugu (the original version) and Hindi too.

Last edited by pjbiju : 21st October 2017 at 20:35.
Old 22nd October 2017, 11:33   #3060
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjbiju View Post
Had the misfortune of watching Golmaal Again
Oh my god, what a headache of a movie! I wish your post was a couple of hours earlier; would've saved me the agony.

Incredibly stupid, old & tired-looking actors, nonsense story & everyone trying too hard to make you laugh. I walked out after the interval preferring to spend my time behind the wheel instead .

Sure, the 1st half has a couple of laughs, but I can get more of them from a 10-minute YouTube video. Even Johnny Lever (who I'm a big fan of) failed to make anyone laugh .

Rating = 0 / 5 stars. An insult to the audience's intelligence. Sad because I loved the earlier Golmaals.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks