Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 18th June 2018, 10:55   #3121
BHPian

Re: The Hindi Movies Thread

Gurgaon

Hard hitting, gut wrenching, and excruciating on the senses. Specially if you live here.
I would rate this 4/5.
Old 18th June 2018, 20:49   #3122
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by promit View Post
Lust Stories - 3.5/5

Just watched this latest Netflix release. It's 4 short films of roughly 30 minutes each directed by 4 well known directors
My rating would be 0.5 /5 : except for the second one by Zoya A , all other are forgettable and tries very hard to be cool, trendy ... I absolutely hated the one by Anurag K as there are way too many holes and is an insult to viewer's intelligence.
Old 27th June 2018, 13:42   #3123
Senior - BHPian

Watched Mukkabaaz which was being streamed on one of the dish channels.

Gripping story, powerful performances by Vineet Kumar Singh, Zoya Hussain and Jimmy Shergill. Loved the typical North India (UP style) slang and ways of communications (esp with the mouth full of pan/tobacco).

Pictures like these are a true revelation of the state of country, more content driven, less commercial.

Rating:4/5
Old 29th June 2018, 22:56   #3124
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by asingh1977 View Post
Gurgaon

Hard hitting, gut wrenching, and excruciating on the senses. Specially if you live here.
I would rate this 4/5.
Re-iterating what asingh said. Its dark and gut wrenching.
The movie is slow, but absolutely realistic storyline and good acting.

I recently saw a few movies of Akshay Oberoi and the guy has some good potential. Should get more movie offers to shine on the silver screen.
Old 30th June 2018, 10:31   #3125
Senior - BHPian

Sure, if you want your date to Zzzzzzzz. Lol.

Guys, anyone watched Sanju?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sathya.bhat View Post
I just saw now that October is available in Amazon Prime. I should be a good date night movie.
Old 30th June 2018, 14:20   #3126
Senior - BHPian

Watched Race 3 and Sanju.
Race 3 : 1/5 . This movie was a race between all actors to find out who will act the worst. It was a horrible movie and this coming from a Salman fan. We all wanted to walk out after the first 30 mins of the movie but sat through the movie and enjoyed making fun of the movie itself. 1 is just for the cool cars shown in the movie.

Sanju : 4/5 . A good movie. Ranbir Kapoor has managed to bring out Sanjay Dutt personality brilliantly on the screen. Watch out for Vicky Kaushal. Top notch acting. First half showcased so much of one aspect of his life that in the end they had to try very hard to portray other aspects of his life in second half. A very enjoyable watch.

P.S : People were so moved that they were standing and clapping when the movie ended. I saw one old lady sobbing so much that she was asked by the management people if there was any problem.

Last edited by TorqueyTechie : 30th June 2018 at 14:25.
Old 1st July 2018, 09:13   #3127
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Watched Sanju last night. Agreed with TorqueyTechie on the 4 / 5 stars. Taking away 1 star because it is more about glorifying Sanjay Dutt rather than being a real-life film with hard-hitting facts. Bollywood will protect its own at the end of the day and the film misses many parts of his life. But still, it is worth the trip to the cinema and you will thoroughly enjoy the film. Movie is long though, so be prepared to spend 3 hours in the cinema, but there's never a boring moment.

Ranbir got the role of a lifetime and he has done full justice to it. As one reviewer said, by the end of the movie, you'll forget that its Ranbir and think it's Sanjay Dutt you're watching. Epic, epic acting! Everyone else is superb too, including Paresh Rawal (as always) and Vicky Kaushal (as Kamlesh).

Not too many have a life that you can make a movie on. I mean, a movie on the life of Aamir Khan, Salman or even Amitabh Bachchan would be rather boring. But Sanjay Dutt has seen so much drama in real life that it makes for an incredible story.

Go and watch it with your family. You'll love it. Lots of laughter, and loads of emotional moments too.

I always thought Sanjay Dutt was an idiot and it's even more so after the movie. But Sunil Dutt - he's the real hero of the story.

Last edited by GTO : 1st July 2018 at 09:15.
Old 1st July 2018, 16:38   #3128
Team-BHP Support

I loved Sanju too and you are right - Ranbir totally stole the show. He was spectacular. Amongst other performances I never really liked Anushka and Sanju does nothing to change that. I am a big Paresh Rawal fan but I actually thought he pretty much played Paresh Rawal. I hardly saw any Sunil Dutt in him. Disappointing performance.

Kamli was a standout performance too - I had seen him in Love Per Square Foot and he has delivered another stellar performance.
Old 1st July 2018, 17:51   #3129
Senior - BHPian

Loved Sanju. The actors were brilliant (except Paresh Rawal, he's done nothing special).

Isn't the man a survivor ? He's persevered thru what I believe is as bad as drugs, the notorious Indian media.

As a fiction movie, its sufficiently good for a 4/5, but we can't ignore the fact that it tacitly glorifies a convicted criminal who was basically a privileged brat. So -1. Final verdict 3/5.
Old 2nd July 2018, 12:44   #3130
BHPian

Watched Blackmail yesterday. Worth a watch. Not good at rating anything, but for me should fit anywhere above 3.5+. Watch it for Irfaan Khan.

I am surprised (apologies if this is mentioned by someone already) - No Mention of "Parmaanu - The Pokhran story". Though it claims to be work of fiction with plot picked from real life incidences. This movie is worth a watch.
No comments on acting of anyone, just the plot is catchy. Could have been better. Will at least fill one with pride what the "then" government(s) did to make this fail & then finally happen, even after so much vigilance by external agencies (even if half of the situations are true).
Old 2nd July 2018, 17:56   #3131
Senior - BHPian

I firmly believe in "To each his own", but I completely fail to understand why Indians are investing their hard earned money on watching the movie "Sanju".

Why is it even worth creating a movie based on his life? What is so great about his life? In most reviews I have read, I feel that most of his wrongdoings are being glorified and sugar coated to make them sound like sacrifices.

Anyways, before people start throwing bricks at me, I will sign off. But I am shocked this movie is earning crores of INRs.
Old 2nd July 2018, 18:17   #3132
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajay_satpute View Post
I firmly believe in "To each his own", but I completely fail to understand why Indians are investing their hard earned money on watching the movie "Sanju".

Why is it even worth creating a movie based on his life? What is so great about his life? In most reviews I have read, I feel that most of his wrongdoings are being glorified and sugar coated to make them sound like sacrifices.

Anyways, before people start throwing bricks at me, I will sign off. But I am shocked this movie is earning crores of INRs.
Sorry for the off topic. I am glad and surprised at the same time that there is someone who exactly shares my thoughts. I politely protest in a similar way when someone comes to me talking about how good the movie is and that I should definitely watch it. What is so great about him and his life that I should waste my time on watching his movie, no, definitely not in line with my thought process. By the way it's not hard to understand why this movie was made in the first place To each his own anyways.

Last edited by vivek95 : 2nd July 2018 at 18:18.
Old 2nd July 2018, 20:26   #3133
BHPian

Quote:
Right. Indian Express review has this:

Quote:
Make no mistake, this film is about proving that bad boys are not intrinsically bad ; the poor things are are led down the path of evil by others. While Sanju doesn’t shy away from touching upon Sanjay Dutt’s involvement with the Bombay blasts, and doesn’t draw back from showing him consorting with assorted dodgy characters with their links to the underworld, it does these things lightly, forgivingly, with a laugh and a wink.
Personally I feel the film sends a wrong message to the younger generation by sending a message that...

Quote:
Both bad boys with great, supportive fathers and a ‘jaadu-ki-jhappi’ which pulled them out of the abyss
Quote:
Anyways, before people start throwing bricks at me, I will sign off.
Not me. The opinion is divided even among my friends and family members. Many do not want to watch this film.
Old 2nd July 2018, 20:55   #3134
Distinguished - BHPian

Note: This is an OT post

I get the argument that movies like these glorify the actor's lifestyle while hiding his/her mistakes as innocence/ignorance /<emotion>.

But then our movies are full of wrong messages

1. Objectifying women
2. That it is ok to tease (read:harass) women with the aura that is the easiest way to "patofy" them
3. Illegal routes are the easiest to getting rich
4. You ain't in the wrong till you get caught (which unfortunately is very true these days)
5. Item numbers - tell me again, why do we need them?

I could go on and on. Hope you get the drift.

Last edited by ninjatalli : 2nd July 2018 at 21:03.
Old 2nd July 2018, 21:15   #3135
Distinguished - BHPian

Watched Sanju and came out with mixed emotions. I don't like Sanjay Dutt even more after watching this movie. Also the film is biased towards him and his father. While the father son friend bonding is shown to be very strong strong, I don't approve of the son at all.

However I must say, anyone who appreciates acting skills and cinema should watch this movie. Ranbir Kapoor has done an exceptional job playing Sanjay. Equally good were Paresh Rawal and Vicky. Just leave the story aside and watch it for the acting. I had this exact intention but was drawn towards the story as well.

Sanju - 4/5

Most Viewed