Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 2nd July 2018, 22:52   #3136
BHPian

Re: The Hindi Movies Thread

Man. Sanju turned out to be such a let down. What started off as an interesting biopic, with story elements which were fun, and previously unknown, turned out to be a preachy, overdrawn mess by the end of it. It's like a tribute film to Sunil Dutt, an apology for Sanjay Dutt's mistakes, and an all out assault on (print) media.

Seemingly midway, the story just vanishes, and there's a long drawl about making up for mistakes or lost chances. Ranbir wasn't too good either. He is more imitate-y than bringing a version of Sanjay Dutt, his interpretation of the role to the screen. There's no flair to him here, no essence. Watch him win all the awards next year.

Well. Hirani disappoints this time. Properly, because this had so, so much potential. Aamir would've probably made it better.

PS: anyone who thought Ranbir does a good Sanjay Dutt should stick around till the post credits song. Dutt's mere presence in that song relegated Ranbir to a child actor, someone who's yet to learn how to be in front of the camera. Sanjay always had this presence on screen, this flair that Ranbir hasn't yet scratched.
Old 2nd July 2018, 23:23   #3137
Senior - BHPian

Sanju
It's a treat to watch. Brilliant acting by Ranbir, no one could have done a Sanjay Dutt better than him. In some shots you may feel it's actually Sanjay Dutt on screen. Direction, editing, screenplay is top notch. Script could have been better as they only focused on 2 aspects of his life while ignoring many. They may have tried to glorified Sanjay Dutt but in my eyes he came out as an entitled idiot who only created troubles for his family and his father trying to amend them. Will rate it 4/5.
Old 3rd July 2018, 02:09   #3138
BHPian

After watching SANJU, one realises that the only time Sanjay Dutt actually used his brain was when he cajoled Rajukumar Hirani into making 'SANJU'.

A must watch!
Old 3rd July 2018, 06:34   #3139
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
Watched Mukkabaaz which was being streamed on one of the dish channels.

Gripping story, powerful performances by Vineet Kumar Singh, Zoya Hussain and Jimmy Shergill. Loved the typical North India (UP style) slang and ways of communications (esp with the mouth full of pan/tobacco).

Pictures like these are a true revelation of the state of country, more content driven, less commercial.

Rating:4/5
I watched it pretty late. Easily one of the better films this year. Just pure performance by all the leads. I couldn't think of any lead actor who didn't do a good job.

And, Vineet Kumar; simply outstanding, hands down the best acting in a movie this year.

PS. The songs are hilarious!
Old 4th July 2018, 18:15   #3140
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinesh_Malhotra View Post
After watching SANJU, one realises that the only time Sanjay Dutt actually used his brain was when he cajoled Rajukumar Hirani into making 'SANJU'.
That movie will be Munna Bhai M.B.B.S. Before that Sanjay Dutt was a criminal convict, a perennial bad boy of Bollywood. Munna Bhai changed all. He became a 'misunderstood' man of Bollywood, requiring all the care & support . He has done well after that, though with the long arm, & purse of his dad.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueyTechie View Post
Watched Race 3 and Sanju.
Race 3 : 1/5 . This movie was a race between all actors to find out who will act the worst. It was a horrible movie and this coming from a Salman fan.
The concept of Race series movies is that every character in the movie is selfish and each one is trying to pull other down. This doesn't gel with the concept of 'Bhaijaan', who does good to good people . The Race 3 is dead on arrival.
Old 8th July 2018, 08:48   #3141
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinesh_Malhotra View Post
one realises that the only time Sanjay Dutt actually used his brain was when he cajoled Rajukumar Hirani into making 'SANJU'.
So true, he is unbelievably DUMB. Mahesh Bhatt & the police inspector who interrogated him both said that he doesn't have any brains.

One example: After having been in and out of jail, and while his case was going on, he was still in touch and very friendly with the underworld. In the year 2000, the cops recorded a colourful conversation between him & Chotta Shakeel from Taj Hotel Nashik.

He also went on to cheat on the one woman (Rhea) who stood by him through his TADA cases.

I feel really sorry for Sunil Dutt. Sanjay ruined 30 years of Sunil's life.
Old 9th July 2018, 17:52   #3142
BHPian

Watched Sanju yesterday and I found it pretty average. Maybe I went in with really high hopes after hearing and reading all the reviews. There wasn't much to the story, it just felt like a movie made specifically to cleanse the image of the actor instead of telling us his life story. Towards the end, it just felt like a tribute and an apology to Sunil Dutt.

Also, the story arc isn't really interesting as it just felt like a recap of events that happened through his life coupled with his explanation for his actions. Honestly, a bona fide documentary with a narration from Sanjay Dutt would have been more interesting. Some of the secondary characters are also completely unnecessary, like Anushka Sharma who's extremely bad in this movie.

It is watchable only because of the 3 main leads in this movie, Ranbir Kapoor, Paresh Rawal and Vicky Kaushal. I think it would've been a complete borefest if it would've been in less capable hands.

Special mention to the background score which completely ruins the big moments in this film. It is straight out of saas-bahu serials.
Old 11th July 2018, 21:53   #3143
Senior - BHPian

Vodka Diaries - 4/5

A good suspense plot. The plot is kept wrapped in secrecy till the last 10 mins of the movie. A good watch.
Kay Kay Menon takes the cake for his acting skills.
Mandira Bedi is an eye sore for some reasons.
Raima Sen does just to her role.
Sharib Hashmi does just to his role. If you haven't watched Fimlistaan, do watch it. This guy is a typical off beat star.
Old 12th July 2018, 20:51   #3144
BANNED

After a much delayed viewing, I am giving this film a big thumbs up. I am not a Bollywood diehard. But, I am a huge film fan, and this film made for great entertainment and some serious thinking afterward.

Many reviewers in the media have commented that this movie is a version of Sanjay Dutt’s life that has been conveniently airbrushed to portray him in good light. I have no doubt that it is. In fact, Rajkumar Hirani, astute filmmaker that he is, uses a clever plot device early in the film to highlight the fact that any story, and particularly biopics, can have many versions, and that what we are about to view is essentially only one such version as the director chooses to show it to us.

But, coming back to that criticism of shaping a narrative favorable to the protagonist, I think that those reviewers are, in some ways, missing the point altogether. Because this film is not just about Sanjay Dutt. If we wanted that tale, we can get it from the papers. No, this film is a story about a family. A family that made the journey to hell and back. A family that is from the films, but isn’t only about the films. Indeed, for all the dysfucntional labels that film folks attract, it appears that this family has been remarkably functional through all their trials and tribulations. And that too not inspite of their film backgrounds; but at times because of it. I particularly liked how the Sunil Dutt character keeps drawing on the words of famed Bollywood lyricists to extract the strength needed for his life’s battles. The Dutts are very much a family in ways that we know and expect families to be. Tight. Strong. Loyal.

The film’s narrative explores the bond between the protagonist and his parents, and in particular with his father. I can’t claim to have seen the Dutts from up close. But, I do remember a news conference that father and son gave together back in the 90s when Sanjay was at the peak of his legal battles. At that time, one could clearly discern the father-son bond; also hard to miss were the clear overtones of the Dutts being in the fight of their lives. What’s remarkable is that I walked out of Sanju having experienced the exact same vibration that I felt when I watched the Dutts fight off a rabid set of reporters in that ancient news conference. In that sense, the film rang true to me.

At the heart of it all, this film is a story about the heroic powers of a parent. We have seen this theme explored admirably in films like Drishyam and Secret Superstar. But, it is in Sanju that we see it fleshed out to span a full lifetime. A lifetime of long and lonely battles fought valiantly by a parent to protect his son from the world. A lifetime of forbearance and restraint in the face of pure and unadulterated adversity. A lifetime spent in fearless confrontations and stubborn refusals to surrender one’s dignity. A lifetime spent living a monkish existence amidst all that opulence. A lifetime spent willing one’s child to find his rightness, even as that very child finds ingenious ways to sabotage his own life.

For most of us viewers, the hard part would be to comprehend as to how Dutt Sr. managed to not forsake his son for all the misery that Sanjay heaps on the family. But then, we also get to see those flashes of pure brilliance when, for the briefest of moments, Sanjay manages to find that elusive strand of the family DNA. It’s then that we see him transform into the ethereal. It’s then that we see a son that any parent would kill for. Riddle solved!!

Talking about performances, Ranbir owns the role of Dutt. In fact, it’s going to be hard to think of Sanjay Dutt and not have Ranbir’s image pop into my head. But, if Ranbir is really good. So, is the rest of the cast. Vicky Kaushal plays the simple friend with true vigor and great aplomb; and Paresh Rawal hits it out of the park as Sunil Dutt. Incidentally, it must have been hard to play the senior Dutt, given that Mr. Dutt’s stoic personality offers no handles to an actor attempting to render the character. Still, Paresh Rawal does an amazing job in bubbling up the emotions and the subtexts in his scenes. Kudos!! Who says great acting needs to be full of histrionics!!

And then, there’s that song “Kar har maidan fateh“!! It is arguably not in the same league as other josh inducing numbers from, say Sultan or Bhaag Milkha Bhaag. But, when viewed in the context of the film, it is an amazing piece of work. More so because Manisha Koirala literally kills it as Nargis in the few seconds that she appears in that song. Simple messages and uncomplicated expressions. This song reminded me of the visual language of Shah Rukh’s and Ashutosh Gowarikar’s Swades.

Go watch this film. It will be the truest Bollywood experience that you will have.
Old 12th July 2018, 21:36   #3145
Distinguished - BHPian

On a humorous note (and probably very true); Rajkumar Hirani could have saved a LOT of money by employing Dr. Sanket Bhonsale instead of Ranbir. Who is this Dr. Sanket, do you ask?

Have a look

P.s. There are several more videos of his; some even at award ceremonies and reality / dance shows.
Old 13th July 2018, 01:44   #3146
Senior - BHPian

Watched "Vodka Diaries".

The story takes various twists like any other suspense thriller! Mandira Bedi looked sickly. They could've swapped her with Raima Sen.

2/5, just for the cinematography.

Last edited by GTO : 13th July 2018 at 17:43. Reason: No spoilers please :(
Old 13th July 2018, 21:24   #3147
Senior - BHPian

My Birthday Song - 4/5 (IMDB)

Acting - Sanjay Suri is a stellar actor, no second thoughts about it. Supporting cast did their roles nicely.
Direction - Sameer Soni. Good to see him grow from a brilliant actor to a director.
Plot - An exciting plot with lots of twists and turns, that keeps you guessing what happens next. Is this true or fake. Wrong guesses each time.
Verdict - A good one time watch that will make you happy. Run time is just 90 mins.
Old 17th July 2018, 20:58   #3148
Senior - BHPian

Sanju

As expected its a Raju Hirani entertainer. So as far as a movie goes its worth watching. However I do understand why some people didn't like it. I too find it glorification of a drug addict who is still known as a heavy boozer.

I admire Raju Hirani for discreetly hinting at Sanju's poor work ethics(the scene with Mahesh Manjrekar) and selection of Munnabhai movie as an image make over exercise by his father.

An yes biggest eye opener is the portrayal of continuous efforts by Sunil Dutt. Though they didn't show how he gave up his seat for his son's release.

Anyways as a movie its a good movie and hence I would rate it 3.5/5
Old 19th July 2018, 15:19   #3149
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by asingh1977 View Post
Gurgaon

Hard hitting, gut wrenching, and excruciating on the senses. Specially if you live here. I would rate this 4/5.
Thanks for the recommendation! Very different story & direction from the usual stuff we see. Thoroughly enjoyed it, although I thought the final 20 minutes were the worst part of the movie. No spoilers allowed on Team-BHP so won't elaborate .

Will give it 3.5 stars. Worth 1 watch for sure on Netflix.
Old 23rd July 2018, 09:51   #3150
Senior - BHPian

Dhadak

Dhadak is a pathetic remake of Sairat. Sairat would have been a much better movie with some better editing. The way Sairat told the story was great and very natural. Avoid Dhadak at all costs, especially if you have watched the Marathi original Sairat. You will not forgive yourself for going to the cinema to watch this one. And for those who have not watched Sairat, watch it. No stars for this one.

Most Viewed