Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 26th October 2018, 21:05   #3211
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: The Hindi Movies Thread

Watched Mulk Yesterday. Liked it very much.
Beautiful acting from the entire cast. Rishi kapoor and Tapsee Pannu to Prateik babbar, Ashutosh Rana and Rajat Kapoor. A sensitive topic shown without being offensive. Wonderful screenplay. If in Pink played the role of an accused, here has played the role of a defence lawyer and she has done a commendable job. Rishi Kapoor as a ethical, responsible retired Muslim lawyer gels so well into the character. Of course as a movie, some scenes of the court are not complete reality...but that much theatrical freedom is acceptable.

I'd rate it 4.5/5

Last edited by hemanth.anand : 26th October 2018 at 21:10.
Old 29th October 2018, 08:33   #3212
GTO
Team-BHP Support

With no reviews yet on the much-hyped ‘Bazaar’, I thought I’ll be the guinea pig on Team-BHP this time and saw it yesterday. Couldn’t wait as I’m a big fan of business movies and have watched all business flicks (whether Hindi or English) at least twice.

Well, Bazaar = 2.5 / 5 stars. At best, watch it at home when it hits the tube, but don’t waste the time, effort & money to go to the cinema.

Saif is smart & classy as always, and I found Radhika Apte to be super HOT, although she’s not a conventional beauty & her acting skills are just okay. Rohan Mehra was a poor choice though & I guess he made it here only because he is Vinod Mehra’s son. Very wannabe, tries too hard in the film. Overall, the plot is lame & the ending is terrible. Even the desperate attempt to show Kothari as a "gujarati" is a failure (ask me, I'm a gujju).

Some online reviews said that this movie is inspired by “Wall Street”. No way – there is simply no comparison to that iconic 1987 film & Gordon Gekko.

If you want to watch a really good Hindi movie on business, start with “Guru”, then the likes of “Corporate” & “Gafla”. Guru is inspired by the Dhirubhai Ambani story, while Gafla is on the Harshad Mehta scam.
GTO is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th October 2018, 09:52   #3213
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Guys, please update on Saheb, Biwi Aur Gangster 3 if anyone's seen it. Media reviews aren't encouraging. Thanks!
I bought the Zee5 subscription to watch Saheb, Biwi and Gangster. I loved both the first and second instalment. However, the third instalment was very very bad. Never accepted this kind of poor storytelling from Tigmanshu Dhulia.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemanth.anand View Post
Watched Mulk Yesterday. Liked it very much.I'd rate it 4.5/5
Thanks for the review, Sir. Going to watch it to utilize my Zee5 subscription.
SJM1214 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th October 2018, 11:12   #3214
Team-BHP Support

I saw Sanju on Netfilx over the weekend.

As a movie, it is quite entertaining and you never get bored at all. However, it has made me dislike Sanjay Dutt even more.

Sanju = 3.5 stars
Old 29th October 2018, 11:30   #3215
BHPian

Watched Newton on Amazon prime over the weekend. 4/5

Very clever, and quite entertaining take on the reality of "world's largest democracy" and what it means to the people farthest from the touch of it. Liked the movie a lot.

I feel the gap between meaningful and entertaining cinema is slowly closing. Quite a handful of movies these days are blending subtle social messaging with high entertainment value. And at the forefront of this turnaround is Rajkumar Rao. What an actor he is! Can pull of any kind of character with ease and relatability. Only other mainstream actor I can think of who can do that is Nawazuddin Siddhiqui.

Also watched Badhai ho in movie hall. Again a laugh riot without being over the top in comedy and without being preachy about the social angle it explores. 3.5/5

Last edited by Nav-i-gator : 29th October 2018 at 11:36.
Old 29th October 2018, 11:53   #3216
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
I saw Sanju on Netfilx over the weekend.

As a movie, it is quite entertaining and you never get bored at all.
I agree, quite an entertaining movie, and until the end it was like watching Sanjay Dutt on screen; Ranbir is just brilliant!

And this is one movie where I felt Sonam Kapoor has done a good job
Old 29th October 2018, 11:57   #3217
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
And this is one movie where I felt Sonam Kapoor has done a good job
Hahahahaha

As a supposedly strong fashion icon of India, her current run post her marriage is the best role she has or is playing, on and off the red carpet. As for movies, I don't think that is area of interest.

#offTopic

P. S. Her Neerja role was considered to be quite good. Never watched it so dunno if that is really true.
Old 29th October 2018, 12:25   #3218
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nav-i-gator View Post

Also watched Badhai ho in movie hall. Again a laugh riot without being over the top in comedy and without being preachy about the social angle it explores. 3.5/5
Watched Badhai Ho yesterday. After watching the trailer, knew what was expected of the story. Ayushman Khurana's show all the way but others have also fared well.

Felt that the film is very specific to Indian culture - someone from west may not understand what the film was all about !!!

Rating : 3/5
Old 29th October 2018, 12:26   #3219
Team-BHP Support

Watched Badhai Ho over the weekend.

Stellar acting from Neena Gupta and Gajraj Rao, who has steadily become a terrific actor through multiple web series/short films.

This movie is one you can watch lazying around or with family and come out happy; it isn't one of those brainless movies that brother dishes out, nor one that blows your mind off.

3.5/5
Old 29th October 2018, 13:39   #3220
Distinguished - BHPian

Watched Soorma Yesterday.
Nicely made biopic on hockey player Sandeep Singh.
Apart from Diljit Dosanjh, Angad bedi, Taapsi Pannu and Satis Kaushik have done really well. Almost all are very close to reality, I read that his girlfriend and wife in real are 2 different people, the director has tweaked this part and shown that one singe person. They have also changed her name it seems. that's ok as the focus of the movie is more on his skill and determination to his sports. I only remember seeing on news about the incident where he was shot accidentally, but his comeback from that is amazing. Overall a good watch.

I'd rate it 3.5/5
Old 30th October 2018, 17:23   #3221
Senior - BHPian

Anyone watched Bazaar?

Hows the movie? (Would be watching with family). I'm happy to choose if it's 3/5.
Old 30th October 2018, 18:27   #3222
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrammarNazi View Post
Anyone watched Bazaar?

Hows the movie? (Would be watching with family). I'm happy to choose if it's 3/5.
Guess you can instead watch Badhai ho .
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Well, Bazaar = 2.5 / 5 stars. At best, watch it at home when it hits the tube, but don’t waste the time, effort & money to go to the cinema.
I did watch Badhai ho on the weekend and concur with the reviews here. It is not a laugh riot nor a romantic movie but puts across the message in a very simple manner. The show entirely belonged to Gajraj Rao more than Ayushman Khurana.
Old 1st November 2018, 13:08   #3223
Senior - BHPian

Badhai Ho
Thoroughly entertaining. Good clean comedy. Casting and acting are top notch and thankfully no unnecessary songs to break the flow. Story is predictable but makes up with the screenplay.
Rating - 4/5
Old 1st November 2018, 18:13   #3224
Distinguished - BHPian

Watched Gold yesterday. Decent watch. Second "Hockey" movie after Soorma last week
This one was a little too much dramatized. Akshay's character is confusing to be honest. He is overtly patriotic or an alchoholic. Nothing in between. Inspired by real life incidents but lot of names are not real. But scores in the Hockey matches are real. Being set in the 1930s to 1948, the costumes, furniture and others are well done. Overall all actors have done a good job. If not a masterpiece, nobody will be dissatisfied after watching this.

I'd rate it 3/5
Old 6th November 2018, 13:00   #3225
Distinguished - BHPian

Watched Satyamev Jayate on Amazon. One word - Rubbish!
The story may have been accepted in the 80s, acting is average from Manoj Bajpai, Kohn Abraham and everyone. A totally nothing movie. Don't waste your time like me.

I'd rate 1/5

Most Viewed