Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th November 2018, 19:55   #3226
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Hindi Movies Thread

Wanted to watch Thugs of Hindostan, mostly because of of Aamir Khan. But it will be some time before it hits the theatres in my place. Meanwhile, came across this review on HuffPost. Couldn't stop laughing.
Old 18th November 2018, 12:21   #3227
Team-BHP Support

Saw Gold, based on indepedant India's first Olympic Gold medal in Hockey.

A nice movie that highlights the story surrounding the hockey team striving for a Gold for "India" not British India; also gives a terrifying glimpse of what Partition must've been.

Quite a few creative and cinematic liberties taken for the sake of the movie but a good watch nonetheless.

4.5/5
Old 18th November 2018, 12:51   #3228
Team-BHP Support

Saturday was spent watching re-runs of two very well made movies - Khosla ka Ghosla and Johny Gaddar.

Both are classics in their respective genres ! 5 stars
Old 29th November 2018, 12:11   #3229
Senior - BHPian

Watched below three movies last week to do justice to Amazon
Prime Subscription( which was ignored due to the overdose of Netflix).

Patakha (2/5)

I watched this movie just because of Vishal Bhardwaj. I always liked the rawness of Vishal's direction in Omkara, Ishquia and Haider kind of films. However, Patakha was a big disappointment for me. It felt like a half-cooked attempt to make a movie from a very poor script. However, Bhardwaj is always amazing is setup and casting. Vijay Raaz and Sunil Grower were amazing it in their roles.

Mitro (3/5)

I dumped into this movie due to its Gujarati and Ahmedabad background. If you are fond of watching a romantic drama with some laughs, a good cast, and a good heart, then Mitro is a treat. Mitro is very basic and straight-forward. The story is nothing new but it's told in an interesting manner. This movie talks about generations gap and marriage system without compromising on entertainment value. However, I find it very predictable.

Karwaan (3.9/5)
Irfan Khan (oops Irrfan Khan). Do we need any other reason to watch this movie other than the man himself? I don't.

But then this movie has another reason which inspired me to watch it. Road Trip. A road trip movie clubbed with the brilliant performances by Salaman Dulquer and Irrfan. I never knew anything about this Dulquer guy. At first look, he looked like an Ekta Kapoor kind of TV serial guy. However, he never failed to impress me with his amazing on-screen presence and acting skills. Once again Irrfanbhai was amazing with his oneliners. A must watch.
Old 29th November 2018, 12:51   #3230
//M
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJM1214 View Post
I never knew anything about this Dulquer guy. At first look, he looked like an Ekta Kapoor kind of TV serial guy. However, he never failed to impress me with his amazing on-screen presence and acting skills. Once again Irrfanbhai was amazing with his oneliners. A must watch.

Dulquer Salmaan is apparently a fellow bhpian too.

We have a full thread dedicated to his automobile collection, here's the link : https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/super...r-salmaan.html (The 369 Garage : Mollywood's Petrolhead Father-Son Duo (Mammootty & Dulquer Salmaan))

For your viewing pleasure only.
Old 29th November 2018, 18:16   #3231
Senior - BHPian

2.0 review (Hindi version - 3D)

I do not remember when I had seen a movie "first day, first show". Technically this was the second show at 9:00 a.m. this morning. But had to do it for my son.

How was the movie? That is a tough question to answer. I would give this movie 4/5 for visual effects. It was as good as any Hollywood movie. Nothing was overdone and everything looked very good. I would encourage people to watch it just for the huge effort that has gone into the visual department alone. Not delving into other details for now.
Old 29th November 2018, 23:09   #3232
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJM1214 View Post
Karwaan (3.9/5)
Irfan Khan (oops Irrfan Khan). Do we need any other reason to watch this movie other than the man himself? I don't.
A must watch.
After reading your glowing post about Karwaan, I decided to watch it this evening.
My parents and I thank you for the lovely time we had watching a good clean comedy.
The chemistry of the lead cast was fantastic.
Seeing Amala after a long time was a treat too.
Irrfan Khan steals the show with his zingers.
Dulquer was his usual best. He is great in Mahanati too.

Thank you for this movie suggestion.
Old 2nd December 2018, 08:53   #3233
Team-BHP Support

Saw Rajma Chawal, a Netflix original movie starring Rishi Kapoor.

Started off decent but went terribly downhill. Lousy acting/over-acting from the supporting cast.

2/5
Old 2nd December 2018, 23:55   #3234
Senior - BHPian

Tumbbad - 4.5/5 - that's how good this film is.
A must watch for the horror genre aficionados, being a rare horror film that makes you think, and question human greed. Mind you, I generally avoid jump in the dark and gory kind of movies, and this one suit my taste perfectly.
If only the middle third would have been paced slightly better, there would not have been any flaws to find in this gem of a movie.
Old 3rd December 2018, 00:45   #3235
Senior - BHPian

Another vote for Tumbbad - 9/10
Right from the word go, this movie builds up the dark, gloomy and creepy atmosphere and keeps you totally hooked till the end. Also, I found the story and the idea different and original. I believe the movie has been made on a shoe-string budget. Otherwise, some of the effects could have been better.Highly recommended.

Also watched Gold as had got good reviews here and elsewhere. But I was disappointed. Akshay's Kumar character was confusing and the film failed to provide the emotional high which is typically associated with a good sports movie. I feel the story was great and a better director or screenplay could have elevated this movie to the next level. Rating -5/10. Average.
Old 8th December 2018, 18:15   #3236
BHPian

Movie: Kedarnath

Rating: 2.5/5

Review:

Like many people here, I go through many reviews of a film before I decide to spend money on watching it. I know folks who dismiss movies which are rated average and prefer to go for better rated movies only like Dangal, 3 Idiots, Batman etc. In case you belong to that category, I doubt you would be inclined to watch Kedarnath.

The movie is a typical love story set in Kedarnath, a place in Uttarakhand known for its Shiva temple. Sara Ali Khan, daughter of Saif Ali Khan, makes her debut in this movie with Sushant Singh Rajput featuring as her partner. The first half of the movie is very slow with the script barely focusing on all the characters of the movie. The second half highlights the natural disaster which struck Uttarakhand in 2013 killing more than four thousand people. The music in the movie is below average and the script/acting will barely manage to keep you interested in the movie. My rating of this movie is influenced positively by the beautiful sights of Kedarnath shown in the movie.

In short, there is nothing exciting in the movie but one can manage to endure this 2 hour movie by enjoying the breathtaking views of Kedarnath and appreciating the raw yet promising acting of Sara Ali Khan.
Old 17th December 2018, 12:04   #3237
BHPian

Andhadhun has arrived on Netflix and what a fantastic movie it is! Sriram Raghavan has done an excellent work here along with the stunning acting performances by Tabu and Ayushmaan. Was craving for this type of movie for a long time. Cinema like this restores my faith upon Bollywood.

A must watch. 5/5 from me.

Also watched Stree. 4/5 rating from me. The movie leaves a strong message.
There is something common in the storyline of both Andhadhun and Stree. Watch them and you'll realize what.

Next on line is Tumbbad.
Old 17th December 2018, 13:32   #3238
Senior - BHPian

Watched MULK finally on Amazon Prime. Rating: 4/5

I really liked the movie. Stellar performances by Tapsee and Rishi Kapoor. Overall, the director has managed to keep the pace till the end and there is not a single dull moment. The court scenes in the second half are pretty good and are the heart of the movie.

A very sensitive topic handled really well by the writers and the director.

For me the top 3 Hindi movies of 2018 are as follows:
  1. Andhadhun
  2. Tumbaad
  3. Karwaan
I think the year belonged to Ayushman Khurana for the sheer versatility and picking up good and unconventional movies and making the most of the opportunities. And among the actresses, my personal top choice is Alia Bhatt for the amazing performance in RAAZI.
Old 22nd December 2018, 23:53   #3239
BHPian

Saw ZERO.. one of the finest performance from Shahrukh.. Enjoyed the movie.
Don't know why the critics didn't like it though.
Old 23rd December 2018, 07:11   #3240
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Watched Do Dooni Chaar with the family. A cute light-hearted watch (don't expect any Oscar stories though) about the daily financial struggles & dreams of a middle-class family. I never liked Rishi Kapoor, but he is really top class in this movie. Will give it 3.5 / 5 stars.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherlocked View Post
Andhadhun has arrived on Netflix and what a fantastic movie it is!
Thanks! Was waiting for a review. Will watch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajay_satpute View Post
Watched MULK finally on Amazon Prime. Rating: 4/5
How come I don't see it on Prime Video?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks