Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd December 2018, 08:19   #3241
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
Any reviews for Tumbadd ? Seems like an interesting film but has mixed reviews and Hindi movies have generally not done justice to the horror genre.

Saw a bunch of movies recently.
Tumbbad: 9/10
Andhadhun: 8/10
Rajma Chawal: 4/10. Terrible honestly. I just forwarded my way through a lot of it because I had nothing to do.

Tumbbad is truly a rare gem - a class apart from most stuff out there. Should not be missed even though I am not a fan of that genre.

Andhadhun is classic Sriram Raghavan slick with Pooja Surti's top class editing as usual. Big fan of all their work - Ek Hasina Thi, Johnny Gaddar, even Agent Vinod was decent though not to what I consider his standards.

PS: Watched about 15 - 20 mins of Gold. It looked so badly made that I cut my losses early. The quality of the hockey scenes was awful. The acting completely forced. 1/5 for the 20 mins I got through.
Old 23rd December 2018, 09:49   #3242
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Hindi Movies Thread

Watched 2.0 last night with family and was highly disappointed. I admit I went with high expectations as I loved Robot a lot and I had lot of faith in Shankar.
The problem with 2.0 is that it seems like Shankar just wanted to show the world what VFX can do. I admire him for his vision but here is hardly any substance in the story-line. What made Robot unique was the blend of humor, emotions and VFX which is missing in 2.0 The movie is extremely one dimensional and so,it becomes repetitive after sometime with similar action sequences. Akshay Kumar's flashback story was decent but could have been more impactful. The introduction of 2.0 was done without any proper buildup and the climax was overstretched. And where did the 3.0 come from? My family members wanted to leave the theater 10 mins before the ending due to the overstretched climax.

My rating would be 2/5 for showing the world that an Indian movie can have vision and VFX which can rival or better Hollywood

P.S. Zero seems to got really bad reviews from critics. Is it that bad?
I was planning to watch as it looked good from the trailer and also, I do have a soft corner for SRK.

Last edited by adimicra : 23rd December 2018 at 09:50.
Old 23rd December 2018, 10:48   #3243
Senior - BHPian

Caught 2 more movies back to back - Andhadhun (4.5/5) and Badhai Ho (4/5).

The more I see of this guy Ayushman Khurrana the more I am impressed with him. Picks up movies which takes on social taboos (Vicky donor, dum laga ke haisha, shuv mangal savdhan, badhai ho) which newcomers would consider too risky and superstars would consider too small, alongwith dark comedies like Andhadhun, and executes them to perfection.
Old 23rd December 2018, 11:02   #3244
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post

How come I don't see it on Prime Video?
My bad. I watched MULK on Zee5.

Watched Tumbbad again. What a well made movie ! Someone had rightly mentioned in one article. The greedy nature of the characters is much more scarier than the gory characters. The horrorn is in the attitude.

Kudos to the team of Tumbbad for delivering a masterpiece. The camerawork is simply brilliant.
Old 24th December 2018, 10:35   #3245
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adimicra View Post
P.S. Zero seems to got really bad reviews from critics. Is it that bad?
I was planning to watch as it looked good from the trailer and also, I do have a soft corner for SRK.
Zero has far exceeded my expectations.. of it being bad. Critics have been too kind with it, and I say it as a person who watches with family only SRK movies when it comes to Bollywood.

For a man who has acted in movies like Swades, Chak De, Veer Zaara, MNIK, Paheli, RNBJ etc in his late 30's/40's.. to a man doing progressively nonsensical movies in the early 50's like Dilwale, Harry met Sejal, Chennai Express, Happy New Year and now Zero.

Something is wrong with the Bollywood of today, there is no editing, there is no storyline and it seems like the real talent of the actors is being sucked out thanks to the dialogues, direction and editing. Anushka Sharma and SRK are great actors.. but in Zero their acting is even worse than that of Katrina and that is saying something. SRK is going down the acting ranks slowly because he isn't able to reinvent himself as he ages, VFX can only do so much. This despite the fact that he chose more mature roles and acting when he was 2 decades younger. Gone is the lover-boy age.. time to pick some substance over entertainment, class appeal over mass appeal.

Zero seems like a movie where every 2nd page of a book is torn off, where a story which is supposed to develop over 1.5 hours is condensed down to 15 minutes only so that the songs and dancing can be squeezed in at the maximum (as is the standard for all Indian movies) and yet again NASA which seems to be a favorite for Indian movies rears its ugly head. All movies require some suspension of disbelief but here you need to shut off the thinking entirely, the "leave your brains at home" movie. Those who have never seen a Hollywood movie might be amazed when seeing SRK as a shorter version of himself, but for someone who grew up with Hollywood movies it doesn't quite matter.
Old 31st December 2018, 20:17   #3246
BHPian

Watched Simmba today.

Will give it a 6/10

Acting is good. Plot is fine too but loses it off and on with some bits overdone.

Watching a Hindi movie after ~2-years! Couldn't believe they still have dances and songs going on all along!

Seeking some good reviews for Tumbbad above. Will try and catch up with it.
Old 1st January 2019, 01:08   #3247
Senior - BHPian

Did some backdated catchup.

Tumbbad - 4/5 - Fresh storyline. Nicely executed.

Stree - 3/5 - Fresh storyline. Average execution. Rajkumar Rao was fit.
Shraddha Kapoor was a misfit for the role.

Andhadhun - 4/5 - Fresh storyline. Nicely executed. Kept hooked on to the end.

Badhaai Ho - 4/5 - Fresh storyline. Excellent execution.

Sui Dhaaga - 4/5 - Very nice concept. Well executed. Anushka was fit. Varun was a misfit. He still looked like a rich kid and not a poor guy

Manmarziyaan - 4/5 - Excellent execution. Very nice portrayal of emotions of current generation.

Ghoul (TV Series) - 4/5 - Fresh storyline, interesting concept. Too bad, just 3 episodes in season 1.

Last edited by Soumyajit9 : 1st January 2019 at 01:10.
Old 1st January 2019, 16:22   #3248
Senior - BHPian

Watched Simba the other day.

Second worst film by Rohit Shetty after Chennai Express (I guess he keeps doing this after a few hits). I knew this was a no brainer movie but my other body parts too kept saying that this was worst. Over acting by Ranveer Singh, wooden faced Sara ali khan with no expression at all, too loud other marathi actors. No plot at all, half of the theatre was out after interval when the outcome was very much clear. All in all felt miserable for contributing to Rohit shetty's bank account.

My rating: 1/5.
Old 1st January 2019, 21:36   #3249
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
All in all felt miserable for contributing to Rohit shetty's bank account.

Poor guy needs to recover the funds lost by blowing up 2-3 Scorpios, then all the cable-driven stunts like flying 1000 feet after a hero-punch and rigging exploding cars after a bullet-fire don't come cheap.

Story kaiko maangta re? Masale dalo, rapchik actress lagao scene pe aur Scorpio ko hawa mein udao.. 100 crores in the kitty. The Rohit Shetty formula.

Rohit Shetty, Farah Khan, Sajid Khan, the holy trinity of mass movies and the 3 biggest reasons why I laugh at the audience sensibilities.
Old 1st January 2019, 21:51   #3250
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackasta View Post
The more I see of this guy Ayushman Khurrana the more I am impressed with him. Picks up movies which takes on social taboos (Vicky donor, dum laga ke haisha, shuv mangal savdhan, badhai ho) which newcomers would consider too risky and superstars would consider too small, alongwith dark comedies like Andhadhun, and executes them to perfection.
+100

Recently conducted Actor's Roundtable by Rajeev Masand had Ayushman and other similar/good actors in which they discussed something on the above point, among other aspects. Excellent discussion than the usual banter that generally happens on RM's shows/roundtable discussions.

Old 6th January 2019, 07:22   #3251
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miyata View Post
Watched Simmba today.

Will give it a 6/10
Quote:

Thanks guys for saving me a couple of hours. Big fan of Ranveer, so was waiting for some BHPian reviews.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soumyajit9 View Post
Andhadhun - 4/5 - Fresh storyline. Nicely executed. Kept hooked on to the end.
With so many positive reviews, will watch it on Netflix .
Old 6th January 2019, 20:12   #3252
BHPian

Quote:
Watched Simba today. Much better than KGF I watched last week. Maybe I went without too much expectations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dark.knight View Post
Poor guy needs to recover the funds lost by blowing up 2-3 Scorpios
Only one Scorpio right, unlike other Shetty films? And that too it was not blown up but came to a screeching halt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Thanks guys for saving me a couple of hours. Big fan of Ranveer
Ranveer's acting has been good - at least in the first half. Was never Ranveer's fan but Padmavat changed my opinion about him. Sara's role is almost non existent.

My rating : 2.5 / 5
Old 6th January 2019, 23:14   #3253
BHPian

Dudes, watched Tumbaad & Andhadhun based on the reviews here. What's the greatest bollywod thriller you have seen? Due to lack of quality I had to migrate to Korean movies. Also I love to know which horror flick scared the hell out of you. I still remember Veerana, Sippy Brothers were the dyon during those days. Recommendations are most welcome
Old 6th January 2019, 23:40   #3254
Team-BHP Support

Off the top of my mind, and in no particular order

Kaun
Kahaani
Khiladi
Ittefaq (old)
Johny Gaddar
Ek hasina thi
Raazi
Drishyam
Talaash
Jewel thief
Wednesday
Manorama 6 feet under
Kartik calling Kartik
Bluffmaster

Supernatural thriller = 13B
Old 11th January 2019, 14:56   #3255
BHPian

Sui Dhaaga: 4.5/5

A beautiful movie that shows the journey of an entrepreneur (the need, struggles, hopes, ups and downs) in a very humble and honest way. Except for a couple of typical Bollywood dramatic scenes, the whole movie is nicely made. I felt Anushka and Varun did full justice to their roles. Can't believe I completed this 2 hour long Bollywood movie in a single seating.
Glad such nice films are being made nowadays.

Last edited by Sherlocked : 11th January 2019 at 15:06.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks