Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 24th April 2019, 13:56   #3301
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Hindi Movies Thread

Watched gullyboy over the weekend on Amazon Prime after seeing such great reviews. But sadly, somehow it felt like the other movie Secret-Superstar. Both come from humble background with immense talent and whatever they touch turns into gold without any considerable competition as if rest of the world is just served things on a silver plate. It was not a bad movie per say , but not anything out of world either for me.

My Rating : 3/5

Having said that Ranveer & Alia's screen presence and the rap-part was what helped me sit through the entire duration. These two are great performers
Old 24th April 2019, 16:15   #3302
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoumenD View Post
Watched gullyboy over the weekend on Amazon Prime after seeing such great reviews. But sadly, somehow it felt like the other movie Secret-Superstar.
I think I had mentioned it earlier, Mumbai folks will relate to the movie more than others. Especially the subtle nuances around the Dharavi, Central Line, spaciousness of the houses etc.

I have watched the movie a couple of times already and feel emotional every time I watch it.

Last edited by aah78 : 2nd May 2019 at 17:18. Reason: Browser spacing fixed.
Old 28th April 2019, 10:18   #3303
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
as if rest of the world is just served things on a silver plate
It's loosely based on a true story - related link.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileCruncher View Post
I think I had mentioned it earlier, Mumbai folks will relate to the movie more than others.
True. Most of the negative reviews are from non-Mumbai folk.
Old 28th April 2019, 14:57   #3304
BHPian

Saw Gully Boy last week on Amazon. I for one, really liked the movie. It was a brilliant effort from the whole team and I enjoyed it! The ending was a bit abrupt but on the flip side, the songs were just amazing.

On a lighter note, in the movie it's shown that Murad(Ranveer) is unhappy with the job of a driver. Well, I'd be more than glad at the opportunity to drive cars like S Class and XFs part time while doing my graduation

Cheers!
Old 28th April 2019, 15:16   #3305
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I think I had mentioned it earlier, Mumbai folks will relate to the movie more than others. Especially the subtle nuances around the Dharavi, Central Line, spaciousness of the houses etc.

I have watched the movie a couple of times already and feel emotional every time I watch it.
I am a non Mumbai bloke and I think Gully Boy is a fantastic movie.

Last edited by aah78 : 2nd May 2019 at 17:18. Reason: Quoted post fixed.
Old 28th April 2019, 15:23   #3306
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Most of the negative reviews are from non-Mumbai folk.
Quote:
I think I had mentioned it earlier, Mumbai folks will relate to the movie more than others.
Wo wo wo. Relax!!! First it wasn't a negative review. Just somehow felt a similarity with the other movie (secret superstar). About non-mumbai folks or for that matter any non-region-specific folks , they are as much the audience for the movie isn't it? So I guess there's nothing to feel offended if someone isn't on the same page

Had this been the usual run-of-the-mill Facebook forum , wouldn't even have bothered to voice our views. But TeamBhp stands for a much more matured platform, so hoping this doesn't trigger anything further. Peace
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
It's loosely based on a true story - related link.
Thanks for the info. Never knew this.

Last edited by SoumenD : 28th April 2019 at 15:49.
Old 28th April 2019, 15:29   #3307
Distinguished - BHPian

Watched Gully boy yesterday on Prime. Wonderful movie.

The part I liked most were the scenes and situations that helped Muraad (Ranveer) come up with those lines. The drive with his employer's daughter crying in the backseat leading to Doori as an example.

Then the camera work around Dharavi is just beautiful
1. Safina (Alia) and her mother are talking while there's a big bread tray moving in the background,
2. when Safina leaves after a short meet and we are left with a drone shot of a bridge
3. A drone shot of when Muraad leaves the ground without even saying bye to his friends and enters a small Gully

Overall story may be similar to the many such rise-from-nothing movies, it's still not boring at all. Everyone have done good justice to their roles and every role was perfectly pitched.

And the Lyrics...superb. Be it rap or be it any other Genre, I don't remember when was the last time when all songs of a movie had good lyrics. I do not know why but I felt the lyrics were first written and then an entire movie was made around it.

My wife hadn't watched it yesterday. As I'm writing this, I'm watching the movie now for the second time along with her.

I'd rate the movie 4.5/5
Old 2nd May 2019, 11:30   #3308
BHPian

Tashkent Files

Since most of the folks these days are focused on Avengers, I thought it would be worth highlighting a Bollywood movie as a decent alternative to Avengers. The movie is Tashkent files and it is likely that many of you may not have heard about it due to negligible marketing from the producers. The movie opens by introducing the central character, played by Shweta Prasad, who works in the field of political journalism and is desperate for good story. Shweta has done fantastic roles as a child artist in films like Makdee and Iqbal and has also been a part of several television serials.

One fine day, Shweta receives a phone call from an anonymous caller who gives her a tip and supplies her with relevant evidences to research and publish a story. The story relates to the unresolved mystery regarding the death of Lal Bahadur Shastri who was India’s 2nd Prime Minister. Once the story is published, there is a huge political uproar which results in the formation of a committee who is tasked to investigate the matter. The rest of the movie revolves around the various discussions and debates between members of the committee who go through all available evidences related to Shastri’s death.

This movie was really an eye opener for me as I have never explored the history of Independent India beyond the subjects which are taught in school. As an example, everyone knows 2nd October as the birth anniversary of Mahatma Gandhi but very few people know that it is also the birth anniversary of Lal Bahadur Shastri. I would urge everyone to watch this movie. There are certain elements of the movie which might seem politically motivated but that should not be a reason to skip this movie. This film was a great learning experience which made me realize that there should be greater emphasis in schools on learning Indian Political history in greater detail.

Last edited by Saanil : 2nd May 2019 at 11:34.
Old 2nd May 2019, 15:12   #3309
Senior - BHPian

Gullyboy is a great movie.

It is a path breaking movie of sorts, in my opinion. Carrying an entire movie on the rap theme in India is a monumental task. Ranveer Singh delivered a stellar performance, not just in acting but also in the singing department.

I personally feel that Alia steals the scenes in which she appears on the screen. She is one heck of an actress, arguably the best female actress of current generation.

What I totally admired about the 17 odd songs in this movie is that no song has crossed the boundary of decency in terms of lyrics. The movie is all about characters who are trying to break out of their "bahot hard" life and being rebellious, still Zoya has managed to keep the dialogues and lyrics in control. Kudos !

Is it a masterpiece movie? NO. But it's a fantastic path breaking movie and credit goes to Zoya. I have always admired the work of Zoya since her 1st movie (Luck by chance). She is only going up in her graph of quality story driven movies.
Old 2nd May 2019, 16:04   #3310
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saanil View Post
Tashkent Files
This movie was really an eye opener for me as I have never explored the history of Independent India beyond the subjects which are taught in school. As an example, everyone knows 2nd October as the birth anniversary of Mahatma Gandhi but very few people know that it is also the birth anniversary of Lal Bahadur Shastri. I would urge everyone to watch this movie. There are certain elements of the movie which might seem politically motivated but that should not be a reason to skip this movie. This film was a great learning experience which made me realize that there should be greater emphasis in schools on learning Indian Political history in greater detail.
+1 this movie was a good watch and also breaks your heart a little. History is definitely written by the victors.

Rate this movie a 3.5. The actors in this movie did a great job.

Maddy
Old 2nd May 2019, 17:34   #3311
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saanil View Post
Tashkent Files

<Snip> The story relates to the unresolved mystery regarding the death of Lal Bahadur Shastri who was India’s 2nd Prime Minister. Once the story is published, there is a huge political uproar which results in the formation of a committee who is tasked to investigate the matter. The rest of the movie revolves around the various discussions and debates between members of the committee who go through all available evidences related to Shastri’s death. <Snip> ...greater emphasis in schools on learning Indian Political history in greater detail.
Neither a regular spectator nor fan of the usual flurry of "bollywood" movies, except for the offbeat ones.

Was intrigued by the teasers of this one and decided to watch it. I'm glad that neither the time nor money spent were wasted by the decision!

The premise of the movie is relevant purely because of the shady manner in which it was dealt with by the then Indian govt., and also the in-your-face way in which certain related persons were also eliminated. Heck, the young independent nation's 2nd premiere was murdered in a foreign land under most conspicuous conditions, and none raised a finger then, they let it pass !?

The director has done a fair job in presenting a relatively esoteric topic that too from before most of our births - heck, my father himself was around 10-ish when the incident happened so even some from previous generations wouldn't relate much to it ! To substantiate the docu-movie effect, he has included actual footage of interviews/interactions of many persons associated with the case - like Shastri ji's sons, Anuj Dhar etc. Cast ensemble is also quite good, and (purely personal opinion) except for certain "unnecessary" verbal duels between the characters they've done a fair job. In particular I felt Pallavi Joshi's role was a bit overboard; Mithun da rocked, as well as Shweta as the protagonist, Naseruddin didn't have much importance. Felt the set of proceedings - the partially lit room with old paraphernalia - fits perfectly with the topic handled & mood.

Overall I'd rate the movie same as @maddy42 mentioned : 3.5 / 5.

!!!Spoiler alert!!!

The film ends with not much concrete evidence of the subject matter, but leaves certain clues for the spectator to presume. The director may have his own reasons to (mildly) implicate a particular entity for the gruesome incident, but to be fair to what/who ever may be implicated, I felt the actual onus of Shastri ji's death could be on any of the (major) 3 probable ones presented in the movie! All 3 had their own reasons to get him eliminated, to run their agenda. So in the end, it still remains a mystery, and possibly will remain so!

Last edited by KrisTvpm : 2nd May 2019 at 17:43. Reason: Minor additions - 2more lines
Old 2nd May 2019, 18:25   #3312

Quote:
Watched gullyboy over the weekend on Amazon Prime after seeing such great reviews. But sadly, somehow it felt like the other movie Secret-Superstar.
I'm surprised no one mentioned it on this thread, but Gullyboy is actually heavily inspired by a 2002 Hollywood movie '8 Mile' starring Eminem. Being a huge Eminem fan, I have watched it many times and though I haven't watched Gullyboy, but watching its trailer and song videos instantly reminded me of 8 mile.

PS: Eminem's popular song Lose Yourself is actually part of the soundtrack of 8 mile
Old 5th May 2019, 07:35   #3313
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by wr10forever View Post
I'm surprised no one mentioned it on this thread, but Gullyboy is actually heavily inspired by a 2002 Hollywood movie '8 Mile' starring Eminem.
Big Eminem fan here too!

Yes, even the rap battles are inspired by this:
Old 5th May 2019, 08:17   #3314
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Saw Badla on Google Play, so watched it with the family.

Will give it a 3.5 / 5 star rating. Good acting by Amitabh (obviously) & Amrita, but I found Taapsee to be very average. Interesting story + ending.

Okay watch @ home and am glad I didn't go to the theatre for this. Now, I save cinema visits only for top-class movies, as all new movies are anyway available for streaming in 1 - 2 months of release.

Last edited by GTO : 5th May 2019 at 08:19.
Old 6th May 2019, 17:50   #3315
Senior - BHPian

Watched Uri yesterday on Zee Cinema!

Fast moving nice movie. Good watch. However what came across strongly is "Vicky Kaushal"

That guy is definitely going places. Manmariyan and Uri show his acting prowess.

Rating: 3.5/5

One a sidenote, Zee Cinema has launched a new ad. The tune of the ad is very catchy but what I liked even more is the tag line / copy.

Last edited by MileCruncher : 6th May 2019 at 17:56.

Most Viewed