Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th May 2019, 10:00   #3316
BHPian

Re: The Hindi Movies Thread

I watched "Drishyam" on Netflix yesterday with my family. It was on my watchlist for a long time; but somehow was not able to catch it earlier.

What a movie! The story is the king here. Few have mentioned that the build up is slow. I agree, but that is exactly why when events start to unfold they suck you in and don't let up until the last scene. A bit like a roller-coaster; slow rise building up anticipation before all hell breaks loose. Most actors have done a splendid job; few exceptions but they don't detract you from enjoying the movie.

If you have not yet watched it, please do so when you are relaxed and have enough time at hand to enjoy the slow build up.

4.5/5
Old 10th May 2019, 11:43   #3317
BHPian

Manto (2018, Bollywood) - 5/5

The best release of 2018. I am surprised I missed it so far.
  • Perfect script and direction by Nandita Das
  • Full justice to the role by Nawazuddin Siddiqui
  • Special appearances by Javed Akhtar, Rishi Kapoor, Ranvir Shorey, Gurdas Maan, Paresh Rawal, Divya Dutta, and Ila Arun

What else can you ask for? The film not only moves around the life of author Saadat Hasan Manto, it perfectly covers emotions of the folks and the condition of Mumbai and Lahore during and after the partition without going over the top with drama or patriotic songs. The way it covers Toba Tek Singh and Thanda Gosht is simply unbelievable.

Streaming on Netflix.
Old 12th May 2019, 14:56   #3318
BHPian

Photograph: 4.5/5

I'd seen the trailer a couple of months back and knew I'd love the film. However, forgot about it after that and never heard of it again since it probably didn't do well at the box office either.

Came across the movie while browsing through Amazon Prime last night, and saw it. Beautiful, is one word to describe it. I love simple films and stories that revolve around my favourite cities (Calcutta, Bombay), and this was just that. Nawazuddin Siddiqui killed it, as usual. I've been following Sanya Malhotra's work ever since I first saw her in Badhaai Ho (haven't seen Dangal), and her portrayal of a simple teenaged girl deserves a mention too.

I probably won't watch it again but it's worth one watch, and will definitely make you smile.

Last edited by boniver : 12th May 2019 at 15:04.
Old 25th May 2019, 17:16   #3319
Distinguished - BHPian

Watched Mard ko Dard on Amazon today.
What a brilliantly executed movie!
True, it's an action flick, but the humor is so intelligent! And radhika madan is absolutely gorgeous. Like, jaw dropping, OK.
It's well told, the story never drops your interest, and the guy is very well trained. All in all, it does not disappoint anytime.

Rated 5/5
Old 26th May 2019, 06:51   #3320
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Someone please watch Modi and update . I love political films, but not sure if it's in the league of greats like Rajneeti or Sarkar.
Old 26th May 2019, 06:52   #3321
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Someone please watch Modi and update . I love political films, but not sure if it's in the league of greats like Rajneeti or Sarkar.
One review said it is on the fictional side. I'm planning to skip it (Not that I watch movies )
Old 26th May 2019, 22:34   #3322
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
True, it's an action flick, but the humor is so intelligent! And radhika madan is absolutely gorgeous. Like, jaw dropping, OK.
It's well told, the story never drops your interest, and the guy is very well trained. All in all, it does not disappoint anytime.

Rated 5/5
Just now checked Amazon Prime Videos but not listed.??
Old 26th May 2019, 23:35   #3323
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajivr1612 View Post
Just now checked Amazon Prime Videos but not listed.??
My bad. It's Netflix. I go through everything through the fire stick, so sometimes forget where I saw what.
Old 27th May 2019, 21:38   #3324
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

Rated 5/5
Completely agree with your rating.

Very good movie. Tight editing, decent acting.

Thanks for recommending.
Old 2nd June 2019, 05:37   #3325
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Rated 5/5
Oh my God what a gem!!

Absolutely brilliant. I agree about Radhika Madan as well
Old 3rd June 2019, 10:12   #3326
Senior - BHPian

Chopsticks

Saw on Netflix yesterday. It stars Mithila Parkar or web series fame, Abhay Deol and Vijay Raaz.

Straight clean story with some undertones. Excellent execution. Loved it. Very light hearted movie but enough learnings.

Rating: 4/5
Old 3rd June 2019, 10:31   #3327
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileCruncher View Post
Chopsticks

Saw on Netflix yesterday. It stars Mithila Parkar or web series fame, Abhay Deol and Vijay Raaz.

Straight clean story with some undertones. Excellent execution. Loved it. Very light hearted movie but enough learnings.

Rating: 4/5
I am abut three quarters of the way through it. It's nice so far, and I have always liked Mithila.
Plus, there's a special connection there with Bhpians, innit, with the red car?
Old 3rd June 2019, 14:01   #3328
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
I have not watched it. But one of my friends who is a history buff (particularly about India) and has great knowledge about Indian politics in general had this to say "If you had a choice between watching Modi, the movie, for free or banging your head against a wall, choose the wall. You will be happier at the end of it."
Old 5th June 2019, 23:19   #3329
Senior - BHPian

Bharat

I had the misfortune of accompanying a big fan of Salman Khan to watch the movie Bharat today. If you want to put yourself through a torture session for 2 hours and 35 minutes, go for this movie. The part of the movie that you will really enjoy is the INTERVAL. Thank God for small mercies! This one does not deserve any rating at all.
Old 6th June 2019, 12:28   #3330
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by boniver View Post
Photograph: 4.5/5
Watched it yesterday and really enjoyed the storytelling - pace, acting and the way it closes out. While nawazuddin is in a league of his own, Sanya Malhotra is a revelation.Would rate it 4/5

Quote:
Mard ko Dard
Liked the quirky story telling but the action was a little over the top for me. Would rate it 3.5/5

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileCruncher View Post
Chopsticks
such a clear, clean and elegant movie. thoroughly enjoyed it. Would rate it 4.5/5

any reviews of Pataakha?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks