Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears

Old 9th May 2019, 10:00   #3316
BHPian

Default Re: The Hindi Movies Thread

I watched "Drishyam" on Netflix yesterday with my family. It was on my watchlist for a long time; but somehow was not able to catch it earlier.

What a movie! The story is the king here. Few have mentioned that the build up is slow. I agree, but that is exactly why when events start to unfold they suck you in and don't let up until the last scene. A bit like a roller-coaster; slow rise building up anticipation before all hell breaks loose. Most actors have done a splendid job; few exceptions but they don't detract you from enjoying the movie.

If you have not yet watched it, please do so when you are relaxed and have enough time at hand to enjoy the slow build up.

4.5/5
pnredkar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2019, 11:43   #3317
BHPian

Manto (2018, Bollywood) - 5/5

The best release of 2018. I am surprised I missed it so far.
  • Perfect script and direction by Nandita Das
  • Full justice to the role by Nawazuddin Siddiqui
  • Special appearances by Javed Akhtar, Rishi Kapoor, Ranvir Shorey, Gurdas Maan, Paresh Rawal, Divya Dutta, and Ila Arun

What else can you ask for? The film not only moves around the life of author Saadat Hasan Manto, it perfectly covers emotions of the folks and the condition of Mumbai and Lahore during and after the partition without going over the top with drama or patriotic songs. The way it covers Toba Tek Singh and Thanda Gosht is simply unbelievable.

Streaming on Netflix.
sunilch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12th May 2019, 14:56   #3318
BHPian

Photograph: 4.5/5

I'd seen the trailer a couple of months back and knew I'd love the film. However, forgot about it after that and never heard of it again since it probably didn't do well at the box office either.

Came across the movie while browsing through Amazon Prime last night, and saw it. Beautiful, is one word to describe it. I love simple films and stories that revolve around my favourite cities (Calcutta, Bombay), and this was just that. Nawazuddin Siddiqui killed it, as usual. I've been following Sanya Malhotra's work ever since I first saw her in Badhaai Ho (haven't seen Dangal), and her portrayal of a simple teenaged girl deserves a mention too.

I probably won't watch it again but it's worth one watch, and will definitely make you smile.

Last edited by boniver : 12th May 2019 at 15:04.
boniver is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25th May 2019, 17:16   #3319
Senior - BHPian

Watched Mard ko Dard on Amazon today.
What a brilliantly executed movie!
True, it's an action flick, but the humor is so intelligent! And radhika madan is absolutely gorgeous. Like, jaw dropping, OK.
It's well told, the story never drops your interest, and the guy is very well trained. All in all, it does not disappoint anytime.

Rated 5/5
mayankk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2019, 06:51   #3320
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Someone please watch Modi and update . I love political films, but not sure if it's in the league of greats like Rajneeti or Sarkar.
GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2019, 06:52   #3321
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Someone please watch Modi and update . I love political films, but not sure if it's in the league of greats like Rajneeti or Sarkar.
One review said it is on the fictional side. I'm planning to skip it (Not that I watch movies )
condor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2019, 22:34   #3322
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
Watched Mard ko Dard on Amazon today.
What a brilliantly executed movie!
True, it's an action flick, but the humor is so intelligent! And radhika madan is absolutely gorgeous. Like, jaw dropping, OK.
It's well told, the story never drops your interest, and the guy is very well trained. All in all, it does not disappoint anytime.

Rated 5/5
Just now checked Amazon Prime Videos but not listed.??
rajivr1612 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2019, 23:35   #3323
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajivr1612 View Post
Just now checked Amazon Prime Videos but not listed.??
My bad. It's Netflix. I go through everything through the fire stick, so sometimes forget where I saw what.
mayankk is online now   Reply With Quote