Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 11th March 2020, 19:41   #3451
Senior - BHPian

Watched Tanhaji on Prime. Really well made movie. Of course, creators have taken some creative liberty. Ajay Devgan is damn good and action sequences are excellent. Going to watch again. Show it to the kids for sure.
ajay_satpute is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th March 2020, 13:02   #3452
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Hindi Movies Thread

Tanhaji : 1/5

After hearing good reviews thought lets try it since its on Amazon now. I was shocked to see such poor graphics. It can shame Bahubali in that sense, such horrible it was. It looked more of a cartoon movie
nitinralli is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th March 2020, 15:30   #3453
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajay_satpute View Post
Watched Tanhaji on Prime.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitinralli View Post
Tanhaji :
After hearing good reviews thought lets try it since its on Amazon now.
Is it really on Prime? Or you guys meant Hotstar? I cannot find it on Prime.

Last edited by saket77 : 12th March 2020 at 15:32.
Old 12th March 2020, 16:09   #3454
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saket77 View Post
Sorry my bad, you are correct it's on hotstar. Anyways don't waste your time watching it, better watch any other cartoon movie
Old 12th March 2020, 17:18   #3455
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saket77 View Post
Sorry, It's on Hotstar. I actually liked it. It's a fast paced story with really good background score and VFX suitable for the story. Obviously you cannot compare the VFX to Avengers or Avatar kind.
Old 13th March 2020, 03:36   #3456
BHPian

4/5 Tanhaji.

A riveting movie, which has fast pace and decent visual effects. It is one time watch for me, although some selected scenes are worth watching again.
bhardwhu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th March 2020, 19:31   #3457
Senior - BHPian

Tanhaji-

Oh my god!! Such a badly made movie. I mean if you remove the maratha sentiment from it, there is nothing to talk about in this one.

The graphics are worse than what would be in an animated movie.

I thought Indian cinema cannot outdo the crappy graphics of Bahubali. Well I was wrong. Bahubali looks like a high budget hollywood movie in comparison!!

In Tanhaji even the minor special effects are made to look amateurish with no good performances to talk about either.

Give it a miss. Unless you want to be embarrased!
vibbs is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th March 2020, 17:37   #3458
BHPian

Tanhaji

2/5

Second all thoughts, a great subject a great story and one great warrior, all wasted for the sake of song and dance routines - ill timed.

The greatest part of the Battle of Sinhagad was in the manner the Fort was scaled, the Fort was and still is surrounded by forests. Hardly any time was given to cover this aspect.

The effects were shabby and clearly low-budget, can't seem to understand that a period movie which will need to use graphics, why won't they budget it accordingly.
It would have still been a fitting tribute if at the end the fort in its current state would have been shown along with the statue of the Sardar himself.
Trojan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st March 2020, 02:27   #3459
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojan View Post
Tanhaji

2/5

Second all thoughts, a great subject a great story and one great warrior, all wasted for the sake of song and dance routines - ill timed.

The greatest part of the Battle of Sinhagad was in the manner the Fort was scaled, the Fort was and still is surrounded by forests. Hardly any time was given to cover this aspect.

The effects were shabby and clearly low-budget, can't seem to understand that a period movie which will need to use graphics, why won't they budget it accordingly.
It would have still been a fitting tribute if at the end the fort in its current state would have been shown along with the statue of the Sardar himself.
Somehow these graphics looked very good in 3D on the big screen.

Does the TV version look that bad
Old 31st March 2020, 05:06   #3460
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhardwhu View Post
4/5 Tanhaji.

A riveting movie, which has fast pace and decent visual effects. It is one time watch for me, although some selected scenes are worth watching again.
It may have been entertaining, but its a pathetic VFX effort. Also, there is this new silly wave of eulogizing one character and demonising his or her opponents. Udaybhan (Saif) is so evil that it gets amusing after a while. He is shown killing his own men in a maniacal manner, relishing a roasted croc and what not (agreed its an exotic bushmeat in some parts of the world but still, what the heck are you trying to prove?) Over dramatising, little attention to the political aspects that were more interesting. Just a mass entertainer.
Somehow I feel Panipat is a very underrated and misunderstood movie. It too had its share of drawbacks, but still focused on the events more than any other recent historical movie (Bajirao, Padmavat, Laxmibai).I haven't watched Kesari or Sye Ra Narasimha Reddy, so those who have, may comment.

Last edited by fhdowntheline : 31st March 2020 at 05:14.
Old 31st March 2020, 07:02   #3461
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fhdowntheline View Post
It may have been entertaining, but its a pathetic VFX effort. Also, there is this new silly wave of eulogizing one character and demonising his or her opponents. Udaybhan (Saif) is so evil that it gets amusing after a while. He is shown killing his own men in a maniacal manner, relishing a roasted croc and what not (agreed its an exotic bushmeat in some parts of the world but still, what the heck are you trying to prove?) Over dramatising, little attention to the political aspects that were more interesting. Just a mass entertainer.
Somehow I feel Panipat is a very underrated and misunderstood movie. It too had its share of drawbacks, but still focused on the events more than any other recent historical movie (Bajirao, Padmavat, Laxmibai).I haven't watched Kesari or Sye Ra Narasimha Reddy, so those who have, may comment.
Kesari is another entertaining movie I liked. I agree that VFX are not up to the mark in Tanhaji but the pace is fast and entertaining. I would rate Kesari at 3.5/5. A one time watch for me.
bhardwhu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th April 2020, 09:54   #3462
Team-BHP Support

Watched Angrezi Medium last night on Hotstar.

Unfortunately, this movie doesn't live up to Hindi Medium, since comparisons are inevitable. On its own, Angrezi Medium does have its moments and a good number of them but the plot is way too stretched with typical cliches, and worse, used repeatedly. The story is also disjointed; there is build up to a plot and then it is just left off without explanation.

Irrfan shines, as usual; and so do Radhika Madan, Deepak Dobriyal and Pankaj Tripathi (in his 5-min role). The rest of the big ticket cast (Dimple Kapadia, Ranvir Shorey, Kareena Kapoor) don't have impactful roles.

Given these quarantine times; this is a decent watch with family. 3/5
libranof1987 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th April 2020, 16:30   #3463
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
Watched Angrezi Medium last night on Hotstar.

Unfortunately, this movie doesn't live up to Hindi Medium, since comparisons are inevitable. 3/5
Totally agree. Hindi Medium was a very well written movie with a very relevant topic (although that is not a constraint always).

Angrezi Medium has a weak story line and the girl is not up to the mark. You can only stay throughout the movie due to the super Irfan Khan. What an actor! He can carry such average story on his shoulders all the way. Deepak Dobrial is also good as the supporting actor.

I also agree that a very strong cast of Dimple, Kareena and others is wasted.

Watch it only if you have nothing else to watch.
ajay_satpute is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th April 2020, 15:45   #3464

Not sure if this should be here or in the regional movies thread but since I'm talking about the Hindi dubbed version will mention it here.

Saw Raatchasan dubbed in Hindi (don't be fooled by the Hindi title).

One of the best thriller movies I have seen in recent times. I was on the edge of the seat for most of its running. It was voted the 2nd best movie of 2018 but sadly the Hindi speaking belt will never know about this and the ridiculous Hindi title doesn't help

IMDB: 8.7/10 and available on YouTube in Hindi. Link Below:

Bulls14 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th April 2020, 20:50   #3465
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulls14 View Post
Raatchasan dubbed in Hindi
+1 That.
Ratsachan is a good watch and is also available on Hotstar in malayalam. The background music also adds to the intensity of the movie and if you are Hans Zimmer or a Nolan fan, its easy to recognize the score. The track is called no time for caution from Interstellar
procrj is online now   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed