Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st July 2020, 19:00   #3496
BHPian

Re: The Hindi Movies Thread

GULABO SITABO - Among the best movies I have watched in a long time. 9/10 from my side.

I absolutely loved the story. Its such a unique subject. Pace is slightly slower but story is continuosly moving forward. Loved the acting of all the actors. Vijay Raj (from Archeological department ) was brilliant as always.

Before watching the film, I had not watched the trailer or saw the cast. 20 minutes into the film and then I realised its Big B . He has done a fabulous job.

Although I do not believe much in 'ratings', still was surprised when learnt about the average reviews given to it.
Mynameis is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st July 2020, 20:20   #3497
Senior - BHPian

Yaara - was terrible. Expected better fare from Tigmanshu Dhulia, and the terrific cast. The story just meanders, with mindless music throughout. Giving it a 2/5 rating (just for unusual ending)
Old 1st August 2020, 20:29   #3498
BHPian

Watched Shakuntala Devi on Amazon Prime. It was a good one time watch movie. Vidya Balan was the show stealer, acted brilliantly. The whole movie was around her. Also, the movie gave brilliant insight into who Shakuntala Devi was, her stature, her achievements and how she made our country proud. The story of Shakuntala Devi is just incredible and would recommend everyone to watch.

Rating I would give is 4/5.
sahil624 is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 1st August 2020, 20:57   #3499
BHPian

Raat Akeli Hai (Netflix) - 3/5

Murder mystery, recently released on Netflix. Watched it today based on reviews in media. Acting and storyline is average, I had expected something better from a Nawazuddin Siddiqui movie. One time watch.
ast.ggn is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st August 2020, 22:09   #3500
Distinguished - BHPian

Lootcase

Watched this movie on Hotstar yesterday. A simple comedy cum thriller and a good one time watch. Kunal Khemu has acted well and supported by good actors like Vijay Raj, Gajraj Rao, Ranbir Shorey. Would have loved more screen time for Vijay Raj and his 'gyaan' from 'National Geographic'!

Lootcase: 3.5/5

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 2nd August 2020 at 19:49. Reason: Corrected as requested. Thanks.
ashis89 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st August 2020, 22:11   #3501
Distinguished - BHPian

Raat Akeli Hai

Never thought I would say this for an Indian whodunnit, but Agatha Christie would be proud of this one.

The narrative and direction is superb, as are the performances. Nawazuddin is in his elements here, as is Radhika. But the stellar cast rallying all around them are the real show-stealers here.

Perfectly woven and perfectly cinematographed. The only reason I am not giving it a higher rating is because the script needed a bit more tightening.

* * * ½ stars
RavenAvi is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2020, 00:11   #3502
PPS
Senior - BHPian

Watched 'Raat Akeli Hai' on Netflix. At best its an above average movie, thanks mainly to Nawazuddin. Perhaps could have been scripted better. Doesn't get too exhaustive inspite of a runtime of 2.5 hrs.
PPS is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2020, 08:08   #3503
BHPian

Shakuntala Devi on Amazon Prime.

Nothing about Mathematics here. More of mother - daughter melodrama and personal relations. The film portrays Shakuntala Devi as more of possessive and over caring mother who tries to correct the wrong done to her as a child. Even then what happened in the childhood is sorely missing except for a few minutes in the beginning.

Did not like Vidya Balan's acting also. Silly one liners and lot of unnecessary laughs is irritating at times.

Rating : 2 / 5
AltoLXI is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2020, 08:50   #3504
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AltoLXI View Post
Shakuntala Devi on Amazon Prime.

Nothing about Mathematics here. More of mother - daughter melodrama and personal relations. The film portrays Shakuntala Devi as more of possessive and over caring mother who tries to correct the wrong done to her as a child. Even then what happened in the childhood is sorely missing except for a few minutes in the beginning.

Did not like Vidya Balan's acting also. Silly one liners and lot of unnecessary laughs is irritating at times.

+1. Felt the same. Move could have been better. Should have conveyed it in a better way. Such an amazing prodigy. Can't blame Vidya Balan too as the real person was exactly like this.
Old 2nd August 2020, 09:26   #3505
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashis89 View Post
Lootcase: 3.5/5
+1
It was a good one time watch. All the supporting actors did a decent job. Loved the subtle humor all around.
Old 2nd August 2020, 09:55   #3506
Distinguished - BHPian

Watched Shakuntala Devi as well as Lootcase. Shakuntala Devi was pretty decent. Mostly held together by Vidya Balan's performance. Probably too much to tell and hence felt rushed. But a person everyone should know about and hence a movie to be watched.

Also enjoyed Lootcase. A simple theme seen many times in the past, but well put together and well acted.

Biggest joy about these 2 was the fact that both were family friendly and could be watched with kids- Especially Lootcase. Was getting tired of the fact that pretty much everything coming on the OTT platforms was adult themed and sometimes for no real reason at all. Additional points to the makers of Lootcase for delivering a clean comedy.
Rajeevraj is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2020, 10:32   #3507
Senior - BHPian

Raat Akeli Hai

It was a mixed bag experience. Started promisingly with the fast pace, went quite slow in the middle with some repetitive things, ended with a satisfactory conclusion. Acting was top notch from the supportive cast and make no mistake this is a complete Nawazuddin Siddiqui movie. It's his brilliant performance which holds the movie together. I wish the script could have been a little better as the story was nothing new. Overall it's strictly one time watch.

Rating - 3.5/5
harry10 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2020, 11:21   #3508
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

I can't agree more. If anything, I would say the weakest aspect of the movie is Vidya Balan's acting.

Made me stop watching the movie halfway.
Old 2nd August 2020, 13:50   #3509
Senior - BHPian

Shakuntala Devi (2/5)
You're absolutely right. Why does have to do the same act from her Dirty Picture. Oversmart, insipid lines, giggles, taunts - are so overdone. Switched off within 20 mins of watching. On a side note, (growing up), me and my dad were in total awe of this lady. Dad even took me to her show, and I was besmirched. So was looking forward to this movie
Quote:
Did not like Vidya Balan's acting also. Silly one liners and lot of unnecessary laughs is irritating at times
Old 2nd August 2020, 17:34   #3510
BHPian

Raat Akeli Hai (3.5/5)
Saw this on Netflix. A pretty good movie, worth a one-time watch. A bit sharper editing (cut out those needless songs) would have taken it a notch higher. But still, one of the better movies in the recent past. Good performances, by the lead actors and the entire supporting cast. Worth a watch, certainly.
sachinayak is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks