Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th November 2022, 12:47   #4081
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: The Hindi Movies Thread

Monica, O My Darling Netflix

Another little gem from Vasan Bala after Mard ko Dard Nahin Hota. One of the suspenseful murder mysteries with ample nostalgic elements. The music itself is killer and sets up the movie very early with Huma Qureshi crooning Ye Ek zindagi kaafi nahin hai. Starcast is fabulous with guest appearances from his previous movie as well. Dialogues are whacky and it was great to hear Captain Zattack again on the screen after the movie Hum. Any other references will kill the fun. Highly recommended.

Rating: 4/5
ABHI_1512 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 15th November 2022, 18:31   #4082
BHPian

Brahmastra - 2/5. Cringe-worthy and nonsensical dialogues for the most part - probably written by an underpaid juvenile. The initial romantic track and the orphanage story was very poorly written. The end with Love as the greatest weapon of all - was laughable or cringeworthy depending on one's mood - only believable by those in puppy love.

SRK's cameo act at the start was perhaps the best part of the film. VFX was good by any standards though agree that fire didnt look like fire. Overall, kids may find it entertaining in parts - but you missed nothing if you didnt watch the movie.

A film that had the potential to be a whole lot better - with a better story, screenplay & dialogues
Old 16th November 2022, 11:48   #4083
Senior - BHPian

Brahmastra - 2.5/5
The movie is watchable and enjoyable in parts.
The concept is good, backed up by great VFX, apart from the climax scene which looked from an old TV serial. However, as everyone said, the dialogues are the real culprit - childish and unintentionally funny, which spoils the entire experience. Having said that, I am still looking forward to the second part - if the makers can learn from the shortcomings and address those, it can be a great cinematic experience.

Monica my darling - 4/5
Honestly, I didn't expect much but it turned out to be a pleasant surprise. I like dark comedies with thrill and suspense, this movie has executed it brilliantly. The screenplay is tight, gripping and funny at the same time and holds your attention throughout. Also, great performance from the lead actors. Highly recommended
adimicra is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th November 2022, 12:36   #4084
Team-BHP Support

I opened BookMyShow after a long time and found there is a Amitabh movie called Uunchai.

It was U rated and the casting seemed nice.

Told my kids we are going for a movie. They agreed to come for PopCorn.

But honestly it was a very nice movie. Clean script, not very preachy and beautiful roads.

I highly recommend this family friendly movie.
bblost is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 16th November 2022, 12:51   #4085
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
But honestly it was a very nice movie. Clean script, not very preachy and beautiful roads.

I highly recommend this family friendly movie.
Indeed, Rajshri movies are usually clean and family oriented. Unchai is nicely done, although a similar kind of movie exists is Bangla as well but here in this one, the angle of friendship adds a separate dimension to the whole part.
Old 19th November 2022, 15:06   #4086
Senior - BHPian

Dhoka: Round D Corner.

Streaming: Netflix

Zero marks for anyone coming up with such a title. Whats with Round D Corner, felt more like giving directions. The film plot is a big Dhoka to those who watched. Less said about the movie plot, the acting and the music the better. Totally recommend to avoid at all costs. You are better off exercising for 1.5 hrs instead of watching this one. God knows why Madhavan accepted this movie? Talent like Aparshakti Khurana have gone waste.

Rating: 0.5/5
ghodlur is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th November 2022, 15:47   #4087
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
Dhoka: Round D Corner.

Streaming: Netflix

Zero marks for anyone coming up with such a title. Whats with Round D Corner, felt more like giving directions. The film plot is a big Dhoka to those who watched. Less said about the movie plot, the acting and the music the better. Totally recommend to avoid at all costs. You are better off exercising for 1.5 hrs instead of watching this one. God knows why Madhavan accepted this movie? Talent like Aparshakti Khurana have gone waste.

Rating: 0.5/5
+1
I started this last night but couldn't go beyond the first 10 mins (couldn't digest the accent of AK).

Monica O my darling was a fun thriller. Mostly predictable story but the actors have done a good job with the respective roles. Radhika Apte felt like a misfit (Gulshan would have been the right choice). A 3/5.

Having watched 12 Angry Men (4/5), I had always wanted to watch the Hindi remake - Ek Ruka Hua Faisla. A quick check on Justwatch showed that the movie isn't available. But I took a chance and searched on YouTube. The full movie was available l, that too the original non-pirated full version. The acting of some of the angry men was a notch below but overall a very good watch. Reminds us that a good story + acting can be engrossing even if shot in a single room. A 3.5/5.

PS: if a movie isn't available as per Justwatch, it is worth a search on YouTube.

Last edited by ashis89 : 19th November 2022 at 15:52.
ashis89 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th November 2022, 16:54   #4088
Team-BHP Support

Drishyam 2

The first 90 minutes were a snoozefest. Totally boring and had me reach out for my mobile for time pass.

The last 60 minutes were totally the opposite. Quite interesting and make up for the initial boring stuff.

Ajay Devgn does a good job, so does the support cast of Rajat Kapur and Tabu. I am not a fan of Akshaye Khanna's mannerisms so I might be biased when I say that he didn't do too well. The weakest part of the cast is the one who plays Mrs Ajay Devgn. Can't act to save her life. Kally Mama has a cameo, and he was his regular entertaining self.

Overall = 3.5 stars

PS: Like part 1, is this one also based on a book?
Eddy is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 19th November 2022, 16:57   #4089
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
PS: Like part 1, is this one also based on a book?
The Drishyam franchise is a copy/remake of Malayalam movies of the same name.
Old 19th November 2022, 17:02   #4090
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashis89 View Post
The Drishyam franchise is a copy/remake of Malayalam movies of the same name.
Yes, I am aware of that. The original movies are based on The Devotion of Suspect X, a Japanese novel.

I'm wondering if the sequels are also based on a book. Should be an interesting read.
Eddy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th November 2022, 21:00   #4091
Senior - BHPian

https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...w/95627139.cms

End of an era- especially for those of us who have seen the Phool Khile Hain Gulshan Gulshan programs on BW TVs - Tabassum was one of the most elegant and refined TV talk show hosts, even before the term itself became part of the entertainment lexicon. Her impeccable diction and camaraderie with the guests (who were huge stars ) was a thing to watch out for.
fhdowntheline is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th November 2022, 21:27   #4092
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Yes, I am aware of that. The original movies are based on The Devotion of Suspect X, a Japanese novel
The seeds of the plot could have germinated from the novel (in that both are based on the ingenious alibies concocted by the protagonist), but the Drishyams that have come out in various Indian languages are a completely different set of crops.

I doubt if the movies can really be said to be the visual adaptations of The Devotion of Suspect X.

Inspired, may be, based on, not so much .
dailydriver is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st November 2022, 11:12   #4093
BHPian

Quote:
Yes, I am aware of that. The original movies are based on The Devotion of Suspect X, a Japanese novel.

I'm wondering if the sequels are also based on a book. Should be an interesting read.
Due to this post, I was inspired to watch the japanese movie and I was not disappointed. Thanks.
Yes, the plot is different, but the idea of distracting the detectives of the crime based on original alibi and a changed date is used as the theme here in this movie.
cs_rajesh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th November 2022, 12:10   #4094
BHPian

Watched Rorschach starring Mamooty on OTT. It was a very decent watch. Thriller with super natural touch. Don't want to give away the plot so I will stop here but some how whatever few Malayalam movies I have watched(with subtitles or hindi dubbing) they always seem to provide some fresheness in storyline, and not always revolve around "whom to marry, how to marry and when to marry" themes that drive the indian cinema scriptwriters across the board.
huntrz is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th November 2022, 13:31   #4095
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntrz View Post
Watched Rorschach starring Mamooty on OTT. It was a very decent watch. Thriller with super natural touch. Don't want to give away the plot so I will stop here
It was a very unique movie and although a little slow, a very good watch. It was surprisingly a huge theater success in Kerala considering it was a slow burn experimental movie.
Rajeevraj is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks