Search this Thread
Old 17th December 2022, 08:07   #4126
BHPian

Re: The Hindi Movies Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latheesh View Post
20 years ago I went for a movie (first day first show), Jaani Dushman
Hello Latheeshji ,
Salutations to you for this act of valor. You endured during the ambush, you are one strong man.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latheesh View Post
Does Ram Setu come anywhere close to Jaani Dushman?
It is blasphemous of you to compare JD with such low standard movies like Ram Setu. In my opinion, Jaani Dushman should be included in school curriculum so that children start appreciating quality movies at a very young age. The dialogues, acting, VFX, songs- pretty much everything is part of folklore. If naming your kids on your favourite movie was made mandatory, a lot of people in their 30's would have Jaani Dushman Kumars, JD Singhs, JD Johns, JD Khans,etc. running around. This was THE favourite movie of a lot of kids.
Obviously Ram Setu is far behind. But watch it only if you have no other movies to watch that day and are a fan of the adventure/treasure hunt movies. But I am sure you too will lament the opportunity wasted by this movie. I am not watching any Akki movie in theatres anytime soon.

Remember that peak-level secular locket from Raj Babbar to ward off spirits across all faiths? Part of folklore man, folklore....

The Hindi Movies Thread-jaani-dushman-locket.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABHI_1512 View Post
I watched the trailer of the movie while watching some another movie back then in the theater and one look at Sonu Nigam and it was all over for me ! The original movie was still watchable to a certain extent at least !!
Abhi bro, this is a 'Do not judge a book by its cover' case. They have literally claimed it in their title that it is an ANOKHI KAHAANI. If you really haven't seen it or have no idea about its story, then I strongly suggest you call over friends who are on the same page with you and watch this movie with them. You will forge an unbreakable bond with your friends post the session.

Thank you guys for reminding me about this. I am going to play the legendary haunting Aajaa....Aajaa song on loop today. With the multiple Aajaa in the lyrics, the song in itself is a loop.

Last edited by AnnaRocks : 17th December 2022 at 08:09.
AnnaRocks is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th December 2022, 14:31   #4127
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnaRocks View Post
GOVINDA NAAM MERA on Hotstar
No Spoilers.
Murder-mystery. Very good performances by the leads and supporting cast. The murder angle and humor initially gives a feel of this movie going the 'Monica O My Darling' way, but then it takes a deviation and becomes way too predictable. An above average watch at best.
Saw the movie today and I totally enjoyed it. The first hour if you can bear, then the second hour will surely entertain. Vicky Kaushal in the comic role has added a new dimension to his acting calibre. I would say the best performance in the movie was from Renuka Shahane, she killed it with her role even though miniscule. All in all I would recommend this movie for a one time dekho for sure.

Rating: 4/5.
ghodlur is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 18th December 2022, 17:15   #4128
BHPian

Movie: Govinda Naam mera

Where: Disney Hotstar

A decent well written comic thriller after a long time. All actors performed brilliantly. Vicky kaushal is a special talent, Renuka was brilliant, Kiara Advani did very well, Bhumi Pednekar was class, Sayaji Shinde was a riot. All the supporting cast right from the maid to the builder who appears in just 3 scenes leave a mark. I didn't find it predictable at all. I felt it faltered a bit at the middle but it all made sense later on. The last half n hour was intense. Overall a fun watch over the weekend.

Rating: 3.5 / 5
400notout is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th December 2022, 18:09   #4129
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
Saw the movie today and I totally enjoyed it. The first hour if you can bear, then the second hour will surely entertain.

Rating: 4/5.
Thanks. I am only about 30 minutes into the film and find it going nowhere so far. Maybe I will give it a shot later.
Old 18th December 2022, 18:50   #4130
Senior - BHPian

Ok. So, I tried the first 30 mins and stopped. Looking at the above posts, I’m going ahead and will watch the full movie. It’s hard watching Vicky trying to act goofy. And that’s when I stopped.
Old 20th December 2022, 16:57   #4131
Senior - BHPian

Few movies which I watched recently.

Freddy - 3.5/5
Good one time watch. Very good attempt from Kartik Aryan, a break from his typical lover boy image. The twist in the middle was unexpected but rest of the story is plausible. I got drawn to the movie due to the awesome song "Kaala Jaadu". Arijit and his magic is addictive and infinite. Only if the movie had as much mystery as portrayed in the song.
Song -

Goodbye - 3/5
Good movie, thought provoking for some, but quite an emotional ride. Amitabh Bachhan is unstoppable even at 78 years. Rashmika is good too but the Hindi-Tamil mixed accent gets unbearable at most times. There was a very similar movie in Marathi called Baapjanma.

Yashoda - 1/5
Hindi dubbed version of the Tamil movie Yashoda. What a disappointment ! The trailer was so amazing. After her rocking performance in Family Man-2, we were really looking forward to awesome action from Samantha, but the story, screenplay and direction is flawed and all over the place. I gave 1 star only for Samantha, otherwise, one can/should easily avoid this movie.
ajay_satpute is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st December 2022, 13:07   #4132
BHPian

Yashoda on Prime - Skip. They mixed up a khichdi of The Island, Level 16 and Wanted(Pokkiri) and added some cosmeceutical surrogacy scam to the mix. Everyone except Samantha were paid to overact. An Illuminati level mafia that has agents everywhere- from hospitals, police, government to deserted roads and forests has only one main security guard in their primary research facility. Logic has died a thousand deaths like this in the movie. Samantha tries hard to carry this bad movie on her shoulders. This could have been a good thriller if executed well.

Thank God on Prime - Film follows the standard Indra Kumar template. Take a 20-30 year old formula(Taqdeerwala, Bruce Almighty, Vaah Life ho to Aisi, etc), add a few Whatsapp forwards and mix a few scenes which regularly gives us the "I have seen this somewhere but cannot recollect where" vibe and you have an Indra Kumar film ready. The intention is good and has a few emotional moments too but again, the forced slapstick humor is high in volume. If you liked Dhamaal, Grand Masti, Golmaal category of movies, you might like his one. Else, skip.
AnnaRocks is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st December 2022, 17:30   #4133
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Any volunteers for Cirkus? Caught the eye of my family, but I am very scared to go see it in the theatre, after all the recent disasters by Bollywood.
Old 31st December 2022, 18:00   #4134
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Any volunteers for Cirkus? Caught the eye of my family, but I am very scared to go see it in the theatre, after all the recent disasters by Bollywood.
Avoid. Heard it's extremely crappy - even by Rohit Shetty's movie standards which in the past have generally been a safe bet on the humor angle (e.g. Golmaal series).

Lately I see a clear pattern of extremely crappy Bollywood movies that get launched on the big screen while those on the OTT are a mix of good and bad options.
ninjatalli is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 31st December 2022, 22:13   #4135
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I'm a big fan of Rohit Shetty and his bunch of weird characters who he repeats in most of his movies.

His movies are colorful and mindless slapstick comedies. But,it's great fun for those 2.5 hours and a stress buster for me and our family.

Cirkus got some terrible reviews and everyone in family wanted to avoid.

I was hell-bent in watching it. So, I booked 6 tickets for Thursday this week.There were only 2 shows in Cinemark in Salem, New Hampshire (11:00am and 6:00pm).

Booked on Thursday at noon for evening show. Within an hour, our ticket was cancelled and money refunded.

Reason cited :

"There was nobody present in 11:00am show, therefore we are cancelling the 6:00pm" show.

I can't imagine a feedback worse than this for a Rohit Shetty film.

Please avoid.
mobike008 is offline   (22) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2023, 11:07   #4136
BHPian

Phone Bhoot on Prime
I did not have much expectations from Phone Bhoot and this film did justice to my expectations. . Although the film repeatedly highlights via dialogues that it does not take itself seriously and neither wasn't expecting logic in this film, it did not click with me. People who have stayed away from reels & memes for some years might find some funny punches here and there. A lot of pop culture references are added to the mix including Ghostbusters. They also throw us a dare at the end by announcing a sequel. Sheeba Chaddha as Chikni Chudail stands out among the performances. You won't miss anything if you skip this.

Code name: Tiranga on Netflix
This one aims to be a BABY(Neeraj Pandey one) but misses the target by a 1000 miles. Some beautiful landscapes and an FPS mode action scene towards the climax are the only good things I found in this film. None of the characters are convincing starting with Parineeti who has given her worst performance amongst her films that I have seen. It was in the news that she had trained a lot for this role. She does well in her bubbly/talkative type characters, but this role was a no-no IMO. There is a love angle which is supposed to be a deciding factor in the story but that too does not have any juice in it. Skip.

The above two movies and some other recent Bollywood flicks makes me think: What is going wrong with these films? Are these stories narrated in a way to the cast and producers and finally executed in another way? How does one put their money to make such bad films one after another? How do good actors and big names agree to do such movies? Even the Hindi remakes of South blockbusters starring A-listers bombed in 2022, at least 5 of them that I recall. Hoping 2023 turns out to be a better year. Happy New Year to you all.
AnnaRocks is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2023, 14:21   #4137
BHPian

Govinda Naam Mera - Rating 4/5

Watched with low expectations and found it funny and entertaining all the way. Good acting by the entire cast, particularly Vicky, Bhumi, Kiara, Renuka - with some decent twists in the tale. The general story of middle-class loser chasing money with some thrills and comedy reminded me of "Lootcase" with Kunal Khemu. I had quite liked it too.

Paisa wasool - if you are not looking for anything profound. Clean comedy - watchable with kids

Last edited by RoadTiger : 3rd January 2023 at 14:23.
RoadTiger is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th January 2023, 20:16   #4138
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnaRocks View Post
The above two movies and some other recent Bollywood flicks makes me think: What is going wrong with these films? Are these stories narrated in a way to the cast and producers and finally executed in another way?
The mainstream Bollywood industry is dying the same way that the music scene died in the USA (and thus, mainstream English music worldwide has suffered). The internet has changed our habits and moved the money / viewership to streaming. Bollywood is cutting the branch it sits on with terrible new films, making even diehard film lovers like me shift loyalty to shows.
GTO is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 9th January 2023, 20:40   #4139
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
The mainstream Bollywood industry is dying the same way that the music scene died in the USA (and thus, mainstream English music worldwide has suffered). The internet has changed our habits and moved the money / viewership to streaming. Bollywood is cutting the branch it sits on with terrible new films, making even diehard film lovers like me shift loyalty to shows.
I think audience taste in movies changes atleast once in a decade, primarily between two themes -

Action oriented OR
Family/Romance/Light comedy.

Bollywood right now is still pumping out movies where the story is primarily set in urban India or foreign locales, with focus on lifestyle of well-to-do families. Atleast one of the character (male or female lead) is a multi-millionaire. However, the audience's taste seems to have shifted to classic action movies. If you look at the hits from South India (RRR, KGF 1/2, Baahubali, Kantara, Pushpa etc), you will get an idea about what the audience wants right now.

But I wouldn't write Bollywood off like that. It has been through similar phases in the past too, but we have seen Bollywood adapt. String of action movies in 1990s were followed by Karan Johar type movies in 2000s. String of Karan Johar type movies were followed by action movies like Wanted (which remade Salman Khan's career) in 2010s.

Last edited by SmartCat : 9th January 2023 at 20:45.
SmartCat is online now   (6) Thanks
Old 10th January 2023, 20:38   #4140
BHPian

From the trailer, the next blockbuster from Bollywood seems to be like this!

Bollywood still is not learning and trying to make quick bucks! I am sure this will have one of the biggest openings!
Attached Thumbnails
The Hindi Movies Thread-pathaan.jpg  

RaghuVis is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed