Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th January 2023, 08:23   #4141
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Hindi Movies Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaghuVis View Post
From the trailer, the next blockbuster from Bollywood seems to be like this!

Bollywood still is not learning and trying to make quick bucks! I am sure this will have one of the biggest openings!
You mean wide open theatres a la Cirkus ?? But while they are trying to make mishmash action movie, it somehow looks jaded. All this business of patriotic agents versus hired videshi goons with high tech weapons led by a desi antagonist is becoming all too familiar. It was alright even up to a movie like say, War, which had literally nothing but fighting as its one page script with a small bit of a twist borrowed from Face Off, but beyond that it is tiresome. As an aside, I thought the last really super film that SRK acted in was Raees. He was totally in his elements, as was Nawaz. This seems to be caricaturish in comparison.
fhdowntheline is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th January 2023, 09:41   #4142
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartCat View Post

Bollywood right now is still pumping out movies where the story is primarily set in urban India or foreign locales, with focus on lifestyle of well-to-do families. Atleast one of the character (male or female lead) is a multi-millionaire.
I partly agree with you. But the biggest issue I think with Bollywood right now is lack of honesty with characters. We have seen many movies, for example, on LGBTQ characters by "mainstream" producers/directors. But all were either fixated to high society/rich/millionaire characters/families which common audience cannot relate to, or were plain caricaturish. Same subject was done in a more palatable way in Badhai do.

Even worse is when they try to touch upon mass sensitivities with actors that have never experienced a true middle class. I watched Mili few days ago (the one with Jhanvi Kapoor in the lead). Set up in small town of Dehradoon just for the namesake. No effort was made to research how locals talk, interact, societal characteristics, nothing.

And then, this trend of mindless copying of formulae that are working. Mindless action will not take you anywhere if not backed with the intent of an action scene that audience can relate to (we need to buy in the stakes of a fight scene).

With such good content available on OTT, viewers will only go to the theater for an experience. Now increasingly, people avoid going first-day, first-show, rather rely on word of mouth to decide if the movie is really worth 500 bucks a ticket (plus 1000 for a small popcorn ).
Nav-i-gator is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th January 2023, 11:05   #4143
Distinguished - BHPian

On a slightly different note, SS Rajamouli's recent flick RRR was nominated for best foreign film and best original song for Golden Globes awards (2023).

The film's catchy musical number, Naatu Naatu, was awarded the best original song, beating heavyweights like Taylor Swift and Rihanna. This is the first Indian (and Asian) song to win the Golden Globe.

Source: BBC
ninjatalli is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th January 2023, 10:05   #4144
BHPian

Re: The Regional movies thread!

For those who like something Hatke.

The Hindi Movies Thread-trikal.jpg

Shyam Benegal's 1985 Film Noir presents the story of a Goan Family towards the end of Portuguese rule in Goa (probably around 1961-62). The film was shot in the ancestral home of the cartoonist Mario Miranda.

Its freely available for watch in YT.
srini1785 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 13th January 2023, 14:32   #4145
Team-BHP Support

A very off beat movie on a taboo subject on Netflix.

Thai Massage : https://www.imdb.com/title/tt20838498/

Its about a very decent man who has lost his wife and then realizes he will never have sex again.

This creates a crisis of sorts because of how we relate to the most normal of needs into a topic that should never be spoken about.

I highly recommend watching this movie.

It is a little slow in parts. But the acting is brilliant and everyone is extremely relatable.
bblost is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th January 2023, 15:49   #4146
Distinguished - BHPian

Uunchai- Amitabh Bachchan, Anupam Kher, Boman Irani, Neena Gupta, Sarika

Story of three friends trying to fulfil a wish of their 4th friend of a trek to the Everest Base Camp. I am not a big fan of the type of Hindi films being made now a days (most of them), but full marks to the makers here in making a clean film focusing on friendship between 3 elderly men. It is mostly a good watch due to the great chemistry between all the leads.

On the downside, a little too long which meant some unnecessary dramatics getting added. Also, maybe my ignorance, but felt the trek portion to be too simplified with only a few long shots on the difficult terrain and the beautiful scenery. In fact, the day before final stretch to the base camp, they seem to be staying in a nice house and Parineeti Chopra is sleeping in a room that looks like suite complete with a large bed and fancy blankets. I did not know that an Everest Base Camp trek provided such luxuries. - But maybe I am totally wrong.

Last edited by Axe77 : 21st January 2023 at 10:18. Reason: Minor typo
Rajeevraj is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th January 2023, 14:32   #4147
Senior - BHPian

Drishyam 2

Streaming: Amazon prime

An apt sequel to the first one, a similar intriguing, engaging and a thriller in the second installment too. The twist although not in the league of the first one was still worth it. Effortless acting by Ajay Devgan, Tabu, Rajat Kapur. Not much meat for acting for Akshaye Khanna in the movie but nevertheless stood out. Change of director also did some good to the movie, but still regales to the 2nd best after the the first one. Full recommendations for a one time watch

Rating: 4/5
ghodlur is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th January 2023, 14:42   #4148
KPR
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
[b]Uunchai- Amitabh Bachchan, Anupam Kher, Boman Irani, Neen Gupta, In fact, the day before final stretch to the base camp, they seem to be staying in a nice house and Parineeti Chopra is sleeping in a room that looks like suite complete with a large bed and fancy blankets. I did not know that an Everest Base Camp trek provided such luxuries. - But maybe I am totally wrong.
I couldn't tolerate the movie. Somehow finished by fast forward. Parineeti character was like . 1/5.
KPR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th January 2023, 15:20   #4149
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
Uunchai- Amitabh Bachchan, Anupam Kher, Boman Irani, Neen Gupta, Sarika

Story of three friends trying to fulfil a wish of their 4th friend of a trek to the Everest Base Camp. I am not a big fan of the type of Hindi films being made now a days (most of them), but full marks to the makers here in making a clean film focusing on friendship between 3 elderly men. It is mostly a good watch due to the great chemistry between all the leads.

On the downside, a little too long which meant some unnecessary dramatics getting added. Also, maybe my ignorance, but felt the trek portion to be too simplified with only a few long shots on the difficult terrain and the beautiful scenery. I did not know that an Everest Base Camp trek provided such luxuries. - But maybe I am totally wrong.
Quite frankly, I did not expect much from Sooraj Barjatiya whose work includes the likes of Prem Ratan Dhan Payo and Main Prem Ki Deewani Hoon
But it was a decent watch. I thought Amitabh's backstory with Nafisa should have been expanded a bit, and the fact that Danny actually doesnt think much of Amitabh's professional success was an interesting side. The trek depiction was pretty lame though. I would rate it overall as 3/5.
fhdowntheline is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th January 2023, 07:53   #4150
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KPR View Post
I couldn't tolerate the movie. Somehow finished by fast forward. Parineeti character was like . 1/5.
You said it. It was slow and I felt all big names were wasted. Parineeti was kind of irritating. I stopped midway. I was actually looking forward to this but was a disappointment.
Old 21st January 2023, 09:04   #4151
Distinguished - BHPian

Mission Majnu - 2.5/5

Weak story spoils the show here. Despite that the actors have done their job well (except Rashmika who just fails to get into her character) but they needed better dialogues too. Having watched Raazi, I couldn't help but compare how much better Raazi was.

Being a Ajay Devgan fan, I was waiting for Drishyam 2 to arrive on OTT. But again, I was disappointed. I had watched the original already and knew the story would be the same. But I noticed (once again) how the Bollywood over-do the glamour of the sets/actors making it less palatable. And Shriya Saran was a misfit for the role. Overall a 3.5/5 for me.
ashis89 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2023, 09:47   #4152
Distinguished - BHPian

Chhatriwali - 3.5/5

Another preachy movie about sex education with a good story. The first half was fun and very well executed with moments of laughter. Towards the end, it feels like a drag. Again all the actors have done a very good job except Rakul Preet Singh who can't emote at all.

On a side note, I hope we get to see more of Satish Kaushik in upcoming movies

Available on Zee5.
ashis89 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2023, 22:41   #4153
Team-BHP Support

Looks interesting. Unusual storyline about a superstar who doesn't have a driving license. Akshay Kumar seems to be making fun of himself too ("I make 4 movies a year, and 2 web series on OTT too")

Old 22nd January 2023, 23:07   #4154
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartCat View Post
Looks interesting. Unusual storyline about a superstar who doesn't have a driving license. Akshay Kumar seems to be making fun of himself too ("I make 4 movies a year, and 2 web series on OTT too")

https://www.Youtube.com/watch?v=lS1KScfdr70
It's a remake of 2019 Malayalam movie Driving License.
rajivr1612 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2023, 01:14   #4155
Team-BHP Support

Spent (wasted) a Sunday watching these two movies on Netflix:

1- Mission Majnu = 1 star

Abslute crap movie and a very cheap copy of Raazi. I mean the basic premise remains the same but the screenplay, dialogues, story is pathetic. The cast contains all good actors and they've done well (except the female lead who is average) but everything else let them down. Please avoid.

2- Monica, Oh My Darling = 2.5 stars

This one is more watchable in comparison. I loved the background score and everyone in the movie delivers good performances. It's a who-dun-it that does not quite end very strongly. Still, a one time watch maybe.
Eddy is online now   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks