Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 25th January 2023, 20:33   #4156
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (4)
Re: The Hindi Movies Thread

Pathaan: I'm disappointed with this movie! The action is simply mediocre. Every scene looks like a copy of some hollywood movie especially Mission Impossible series and every dialogue is spoken like some recorded message. There is nothing special about the plot or dialogues or humour. I guess the director put many hollywood movies in a blender and named it Pathaan!

This movie has many idiotic scenes and one such high level stupidity is the scene where SRK deactivates an incoming missile by throwing a phone (can't remember) at it. The only good thing is the cinematography.

I don't know who thought of casting John Abraham as the villian. Seriously, he looks like a hero and SRK looks like a villain. At least they could have made something right by changing their roles. And Salman Khan! You have to watch his entry to understand what I'm saying!

I would rate it 2/5 because I went with high expectations plus I liked one song. Keep it low and you'll be happy.
CarNerd is offline   (28) Thanks
Old 25th January 2023, 21:13   #4157
Senior - BHPian

Pathaan: I can't rate it since I dozed through half the movie. Maybe I was tired. I don't remember anything spectacular, either action, screenplay, or dialogue. Both John Abraham & Deepika look good but SRK is a letdown, the standout feature being his unkempt, ugly hairstyle.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarNerd View Post
I guess the director put many hollywood movies in a blender and named it Pathaan!
That might have worked. But Pathaan seems to be a mishmash of Saif's Race, Salman's Tiger, Hrithik's War.
msdivy is online now   (8) Thanks
Old 26th January 2023, 09:07   #4158
BHPian

Pathaan’s trailer didn’t make me want to go watch it, but since yesterday, pretty much every movie reviewer on YouTube is gushing about it.

I had a fleeting moment where I wanted to watch it in theaters. Then I saw the two posts above
pandey.jai is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th January 2023, 10:38   #4159
Distinguished - BHPian

^^

That's the weird part. Any Pathaan review that you look at, has praised the movie like anything. Even the critics have good things to say. The rating numbers vary between 60% to 95%! But the trailer shows an altogether different picture
ashis89 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th January 2023, 17:35   #4160
BHPian

Just out of the theatre.

One word: A-V-O-I-D !

Spend your long weekend doing something that you don’t like; but not this movie. Please.
ashvek3141 is online now   (11) Thanks
Old 27th January 2023, 10:02   #4161
Distinguished - BHPian

Pathan

For watching a movie in a theater, in general, a Hindi film would be my 3rd or even 4th preference after Malayalam, Tamil and English. The only exception is if it is a SRK movie. Not that I am a die hard fan of him and all, but there are very few actors who can pull off that aura/charm/larger than life image on screen and he is on top of that list in my opinion. And I do like watching such movies that are classified as 'mass or mindless entertainment'.

With that context, I liked Pathan. It is an age old plot, the action sequences are a mixed bag. Some are good, some are way too artificial. There is no real originality in it. Having said that, it hits all the right notes for a majority of the audience to enjoy it. SRK has worked hard on it. Looks fantastic, brings in his trademark elements at the right points. I liked John Abraham, a villain who keeps winning before finally losing. And the cameo from Salman at the right places and at the right time.

It is neatly packaged, relies on SRK to pull it off-which he does and going by the audience response in a packed multiplex for a 10.30pm show, I think they all loved it.

All in all, I think the RRRs, KGFs, Pushpa etc have shown that people do need and love a well executed entertainer from their favorite stars and Pathan is definitely one of these and long pending from Bollywood.

I may be in minority here , but my Rating is 3.5/5

Last edited by Rajeevraj : 27th January 2023 at 10:04.
Rajeevraj is offline   (31) Thanks
Old 27th January 2023, 10:19   #4162
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
Pathan
It is neatly packaged, relies on SRK to pull it off-which he does and going by the audience response in a packed multiplex for a 10.30pm show, I think they all loved it.
Booked for Sunday afternoon show in a IMAX hall here. Been ages since I watched a Bollywood movie in a cinema hall
vb-saan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th January 2023, 11:28   #4163
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarNerd View Post
Pathaan: I'm disappointed with this movie! The action is simply mediocre...
Quote:
Originally Posted by msdivy View Post
Pathaan: I can't rate it since I dozed through half the movie...
Quote:
Originally Posted by pandey.jai View Post
Pathaan’s trailer didn’t make me want to go watch it, but since yesterday, pretty much every movie reviewer on YouTube is gushing about it...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashvek3141 View Post
Just out of the theatre.
One word: A-V-O-I-D...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashis89 View Post
That's the weird part. Any Pathaan review that you look at, has praised the movie like anything...
Seriously! Every critic and reviewer has praised this move like it is Bollywood's pinnacle and SRK the epitome of the Bollywood star.
With such deluge of accolades, I wonder if SRK has indeed reinvented himself.

His last movie in theater for me was Happy New Year (2014) and for sure I cursed myself later.
No plans of watching Pathan anytime soon.
ValarMorghulis is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th January 2023, 14:21   #4164
Senior - BHPian

Mission Majnu

Streaming: Netflix

Contrary to a few reviews on the thread which rated the movies as crappy, I somehow found the movie not great but good for a watch. The spy movies always fascinated me and felt the movie could have been made even more interesting and edge of the seat types. Siddharth Malhotra acted well although he couldn't mouth the pathani dialect & dialogues with ease. None of the actors actually stood out but the story IMHO was good enough.

Rating: 2.5/5
ghodlur is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th January 2023, 21:58   #4165
BHPian

Pathaan

Went for the late-night show here in Bahrain - the cinema hall was packed as expected. Some comments about the movie:

What I liked
  • It's nice to have SRK back after a long hiatus and the unwatchable 'Zero' movie.
  • John Abraham was a strong villain with a believable backstory.
  • Excellent choice of locations.
  • The movie was at the end of the day really entertaining, fast-paced etc.

What I disliked
  • As with Indian movies in general, VFX was terrible.
  • Physics had a field-day, gravity (literally) is dead in the movie.
  • Not much character development except for the main characters, so you don't really feel the impact when some characters are killed off.
  • The plot kept jumping around

To be fair, I got what I expected when I entered the theatre. The movie used tried and tested spy movie concepts - wouldn't say copied from Mission Impossible since their concepts itself is strongly influenced by James Bond harking back into the 60s. These are established tropes.

Physics and logic was offcourse non-existent in the movie as is the case with popular movie these days like RRR but at the end of the day, the movie was indeed an entertainer.

Overall, I would give a 3.5/5.

Last edited by Eddy : 28th January 2023 at 01:56. Reason: As requested
dragracer567 is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 28th January 2023, 07:41   #4166
Senior - BHPian

I am puzzled by reports of Pathan being a huge hit with bookings claim because a cursory glamce at BookMy Show for tickets in places like Mumbai or Pune shows tickets being available in several cinemas across timeslots. It seems just a big PR buzz more than anything else. The last SRK movie I enjoyed was Raees. He more than held his own against the much vaunted Nawaz. I am not sure if this one is anywhere close to that role.
fhdowntheline is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 28th January 2023, 07:50   #4167
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Pathan

--
With that context, I liked Pathan. It is an age old plot, the action sequences are a mixed bag. Some are good, some are way too artificial. There is no real originality in it. Having said that, it hits all the right notes for a majority of the audience to enjoy it. SRK has worked hard on it. Looks fantastic, brings in his trademark elements at the right points. I liked John Abraham, a villain who keeps winning before finally losing. And the cameo from Salman at the right places and at the right time.

--
Agree to all the points

Pathaan:

Compared to this current slew of Bollywood movies being dished out, Pathaan is the movie put out for the masses (its box-office collections reflects this too). It is not so bad as put out by some here, but watchable once for sure.
Would rate K.G.F. 2 way above this movie.

Rating 3/5

Last edited by volkman10 : 28th January 2023 at 08:05.
volkman10 is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 28th January 2023, 11:55   #4168
GTO
Team-BHP Support

All the rave reviews are bought out directly or indirectly, guys. It's a spin, like how automotive media is bought out by the car manufacturers.

Here, they are offered:

- Access to the star (interviews) or a block if bad review

- Advertisements

- Cash or gifts

- Early screenings

- Invitations to parties, movie sets...

- Etc.

It's big business. Even if a few crores are spent in buying out professional reviewers, it more than pays for itself with the early ticket sales (although word-of-mouth eventually catches up with a bad movie in the ensuing days). Sad to see how easily IMDB is manipulated.
GTO is offline   (29) Thanks
Old 28th January 2023, 15:08   #4169
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Pathan

With that context, I liked Pathan.

I may be in minority here , but my Rating is 3.5/5
I agree. I saw the movie today. I had zero expectations. The only thing I like about Shahrukh Khan is screen presence and he has loads of that in this movie.

I knew it would be a throw logic out kind of movie. So I decided to enjoy it. I must say I did.

Yes there is no logic for most of the time and Laws of physics are conspicuous by their absence. I guess if you expect it to be like that you can enjoy it.
vibbs is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 28th January 2023, 18:38   #4170
Distinguished - BHPian

An Action Hero - 3/5

Ignoring some loopholes in the story and the stretched action sequences, it was fun watching Ayushmaan Khurrana and Jaideep Ahlawat in this thriller. Keeping logic a little aside, it's a good one time watch. I would have liked a longer role of the daroga, Jitender Hooda.

Available on Netflix.
ashis89 is offline   (6) Thanks

Most Viewed