Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 29th January 2023, 14:07   #4171
Kln
BHPian

Re: The Hindi Movies Thread

The best part about pathaan was john abraham. Otherwise extremely loud, crass, horrible cgi, forgettable music and overall yawn inducing. Watch it only if you love srk. Spent 900₹ per ticket for a 4dx seat, regret levels are at 100

2/10
Kln is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 29th January 2023, 15:09   #4172
Senior - BHPian

After bashing a lot of Hindi movies on this thread, I liked watching Pathaan
Nope, I wasn't paid to write this.

Read again, I am not saying I liked the movie Pathaan, rather, liked the process of watching it in a theatre full of idiots just like me who were there to just celebrate SRK and John Abraham and 'herogiri' in general.

I had to shut the part of my brain that deals with logic, science and intelligence in general else I would not have enjoyed the experience.

For those like me who have seen SRK or Salman from the beginning of their career and have their own reasons for 'worshipping' them, they will simply like his screen presence. This movie is not for everyone and definitely not meant for watching at home. Watch it with the craziest of your friends or family members in a theatre packed with like minded people.

I will criticize the movie left right and center if I watch it at home or with a bunch of friends/relatives who are all about the art of movie-making. Yes, Pathaan is loads of crap, copied/inspired scenes and script that's borrowed in bits and pieces from all other action movies you have watched. But, the fun is in laughing your butts off of it, admiring SRKs ease, whistling and drooling at his six-pack, his charming smile that he pulls off so easily even today, hearing the girls scream when he tilts and spreads his hands (trademark) or does some action-packed stunt, and getting some life goals from John Abraham's physique and personality, even if it lasts till the time you are inside the hall.

And even after that, the film manages to keep you pinned to your seats, because the plot, though predictable, makes you want to watch till the end as you want to know what dialogue the hero and villain will have or if there is some crazy action of cameo awaiting, or if there is another brain-cell damaging sequence that the director has to offer. The fun is in absorbing all of it in the right spirit. In general, you won't miss anything if you don't watch the movie, like I said, 'how' you watch it makes the difference
NiInJa is offline   (21) Thanks
Old 29th January 2023, 16:35   #4173
Kln
BHPian

An interesting phenomenon in the age of youtube and insta reels I've observed is how hindi film music has become so superficial, plasticky. I challenge you to recall 5 unique, original, memorable songs that really touched you in the past 5 years - you'll be hard pressed to come up with a full list.

The need to churn out 'reel able' music has led to an endless slew of remakes and bland, tasteless music that won't create a single ripple in your mind. The music of Pathaan actually gave me a headache. It is so bizzarely devoid of any soul. It reminds me of factory produced fast food. It's like an AI was told to create the song that is most likely to have reels and dance steps on Instagram.

What a tragic loss, hindi films used to have some of the best music.
Kln is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 29th January 2023, 19:15   #4174
BHPian

There are no bad movies, only bad ticket prices. Pathaan is an amazing movie, if the ticket price is less than Rs 40. Anything more is just money wasted.
But I guess, for die hard fans, there is no cost too high to see their favourite stars on screen.
superbad is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 29th January 2023, 19:19   #4175
BHPian

Movie: Pathan

Where: Moviemax

Backstory: Having worked on the film my views are quite biased as for me it was very important that the film worked. This is the first film which has my name in the credits and is an actual hit. But did I like the movie? It's a bit tricky to answer that simply.

In preparation while working on Pathan, I saw 'War' to get an idea of how Siddharth Anand thinks. But I haven't seen any 'Tiger' film yet.

Between office and family duties, I finally found the time today to book tickets with my Wife and 5 year old.

Theater experience: One of the worst. We are usually worried about the kid making noise so take the rearmost seat in case he gets bored he can use the phone that is if he's not sleeping. As a result me and my wife were on separate rows next to 2 couples. The young couple next to me were continuously and unapologetically arguing and just wouldn't shut up on the other hand the couple next to my wife were in the process of making a baby. My son didn't sleep but he was less disturbing than these specimens. So my viewing experience was quite hampered much similar to my Bhediya experience.

The movie: I found it better than 'War' as the action in this is paced much better. The action peices and BGM is loud but effective. But similar to War, Siddharth Anand doesn't know what to do when there's no action. There are subtle twists but the in between scenes are so flat that it hardly gets you invested in the story. All the actors do a decent job. And similar to War the antagonist makes a better impression than the lead. SRK doest great and delivers effortlessly, however John's character feels more powerful. I felt the second half was much better than the first half.

The VFX is inconsistent as it is a covid affected film. Many sequences are shot in studio which would have turned better if it was on location. Also there are some technologies which haven't been utilized properly. Expect detailed embarassing visuals to come out once this is released on OTT.

The response: My show was 90% full and so are most of the others, yes not all houses are packed but 90% occupancy for a 1700rs (VIP/insignia) ticket is not bad I would say. Average ticket prices in Inox are around 450 to 500 bucks. As an insider let me assure you that box office results are not PR manufactured, in that case no movie would flop ever. This film has set the cash registers ringing and that would require a case study in itself.

Analysis: If you are an SRK fan, this is a treat. For neutrals, some may enjoy if they don't expect top class cinema. The southern movies are still better when it comes to massy cinema. So for me KGF > Pathan. Rajamouli is beyond comparison.

Pathan has worked for bollywood and SRK fans but the search for a great big scale hindi film will continue.

So I believe if you liked 'War' Pathan will work even better. It's a stylised spy action thriller which is well paced and packs in a lot of glamour. Low expectations will lead to lesser stress.

If you plan to watch it, do it on a cheap single screen with die hard SRK fans and it would be a much better experience.

Rating: 3/5

2 for the movie, 1 for my association Could have given .5 more if not for the awful theater experience.

Trivia: Amitabh Bachchan played SRKs dad in "Kabhi khushi kabhi gham" at the age when SRK is playing Pathan.

Edit: My wife, an ardent SRK fan loved Pathan. My son also watched all action peices with utmost attention.

Last edited by Axe77 : 31st January 2023 at 05:08. Reason: As requested. (Protagonist —> Antagonist)
400notout is offline   (28) Thanks
Old 29th January 2023, 19:36   #4176
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by superbad View Post
There are no bad movies, only bad ticket prices. Pathaan is an amazing movie, if the ticket price is less than Rs 40. Anything more is just money wasted. But I guess, for die hard fans, there is no cost too high to see their favourite stars on screen.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kln View Post
The best part about pathaan was john abraham. Otherwise extremely loud, crass, horrible cgi, forgettable music and overall yawn inducing. Watch it only if you love srk. Spent 900₹ per ticket for a 4dx seat, regret levels are at 100
I am a very rare visitor to movie halls. When I do, I surely want my money's worth. As such, I am surprised when I see multiplexes charging a bomb even in these tough times (for Bollywood) and people willing to pay it, in pursuit of three hours of vicarious happiness.

But then, the perception of value is highly subjective.

The Hindi Movies Thread-img_20230129_164319.jpg
dailydriver is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th January 2023, 21:07   #4177
Kln
BHPian

Anyone going for Pathaan at PVR, beware - we were subjected to 40 minutes of adverts and pre movie trailers. And to make up for it, they cut out the interval all together. What a horrible experience.
Kln is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 30th January 2023, 01:26   #4178
BHPian

Caught a late night show of Pathaan yesterday at the PVR near my residence.

Went with no expectations, and found the movie to be surprisingly entertaining - especially in the second half. While almost every trope and action sequence reminded me of the James Bond and MI movies (albeit with much inferior VFX), there were still some sequences that surprised in a good way. What also worked for me was the movie's blistering pace coupled with SRK's charisma and Deepika's oomph. Plus there was attention to detail in terms of creating back stories for the lead characters (though they should have created one for M from Skyfall too). John Abraham held his own and more against SRK and outdid himself especially with his wicked grin.

I found the film to be worth the price of my ticket (less than 250 bucks) and a great addition to the Dhoom and Holiday/Baby genre (this movie could have passed off as Dhoom 4 if it had starred Abhishek Bachchan instead of SRK). This film is a hoot to watch as long as you leave your brains at the theatre door. However, imho Baby is still the best Hindi spy movie that I have seen in recent times. Pathaan is a baby compared to Baby.
Neversaygbye is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 30th January 2023, 10:06   #4179
BHPian

Slightly Off-Topic.

For those who are doubting the collections of Pathan.

It is running on 5500+ screens. Assuming every screen has at least 4 shows. Every show has at least 75 people (Average of blank screens and house full screens). The average Ticket price is very high for Pathan. In Multiplexes, the minimum rate is 380 going up to 2500 in some cases. Let us consider an average of 300.

5500 * 4 * 75 * 300 = 49.5 Crore

75 people in a theatre mean occupancy of below 40%. I don't think the numbers are bloated to the level it is being accused of.

I hope this does become the highest-grosser. At the end of the day, a real movie fan will tell you that irrespective of whether you love the actor or not, it is a below-average movie that defies every logic available in science and common sense. The Hindi film industry which churns out the worst of Indian movies off late can rest on Pathan's laurel to showcase their standard!

PS: I have not watched the movie. My observation is purely based on the reviews seen on the web and this thread.

PPS: There used to be a lot of making fun of Telugu/Tamil movies when the action scenes defy logic and science. Hope Hindi movie fans can now add this to that lot.
RaghuVis is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 30th January 2023, 10:29   #4180
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 400notout View Post
Trivia: Amitabh Bachchan played SRKs dad in "Kabhi khushi kabhi gham" at the age when SRK is playing Pathan.
To be exactly accurate, AB was still playing the main hero role in movies like "Lal Baadshah" when he was the age SRK is now currently. But in 2 years time frame, SRK would be at the age what AB was in Kabhi Khushi Kabhi Gham. Let's see if he still gets to do a movie like Pathaan in 2 years time frame

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaghuVis View Post
Slightly Off-Topic.

For those who are doubting the collections of Pathan.

It is running on 5500+ screens. Assuming every screen has at least 4 shows. Every show has at least 75 people (Average of blank screens and house full screens). The average Ticket price is very high for Pathan. In Multiplexes, the minimum rate is 380 going up to 2500 in some cases. Let us consider an average of 300.

5500 * 4 * 75 * 300 = 49.5 Crore

75 people in a theatre mean occupancy of below 40%. I don't think the numbers are bloated to the level it is being accused of.
Fair point. And to be honest, given the high revenues recent Indian movies are seeing, 50 Crore inr even for such a short time frame isn't a big deal. It'll be interesting to see the revenue in a month from now. That's where the reality of a superhit will become clear.
Old 30th January 2023, 10:37   #4181
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by 400notout View Post
Movie: Pathan

Where: Moviemax

Backstory: Having worked on the film my views are quite biased as for me it was very important that the film worked. This is the first film which has my name in the credits and is an actual hit. But did I like the movie? It's a bit tricky to answer that simply.
Nicely written review and interesting to hear thoughts from someone who’s worked on the film. What role did you play if that’s something you’re happy to share?

On the VFX, without going into the covid or other technical problems some things that could have just been presented better (from a pure common sense perspective) is for instance, putting on goggles on the actors for the scene where they’re flying in that winged contraption. Its little touches like that in films like the MI series, that shouldn’t be overlooked anymore in mainstream Indian cinema.

I’m happy the movie did well for various reasons. Its an ok watch if you recognise you’re going to be treated to mindless drivel and treat it as such. Not dissimilar to some of the action flicks Salman dishes out which make for mindless watch for his fans.

But honestly, its been a while since there has been a large scale movie from Bollywood that has truly impressed. And Bollywood has no lack of ability in dishing out proper quality hits. Its just been elusive for a while now. Hope they can get their rhythm again on this aspect. I’ve loved films like Zindagi Na Milegi Dobaara, Dil Dhadakne Do, Bhaag Milkha, Gangubai and many others. In contrast, more recent efforts like Toofan have been disappointing. Brahmastra - another recent big budget effort was utterly ludicrous on pretty much every front.

I do hope we can see some high quality productions again soon.

Quote:
And similar to War the protagonist makes a better impression than the lead.
I think you mean “antagonist” here instead of “protagonist”. Happy to edit if you confirm.
Axe77 is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 30th January 2023, 10:56   #4182
BHPian

Saw the supposedly phaadu trailer and decided against.

Just can't bring myself to pay for work of people who prioritize showing the stars' pretty faces with perfectly groomed hair over physics
The Hindi Movies Thread-screenshot_20230130092424_youtube.jpg

See what I mean? How in the world can someone flying with a jet pack can have his hair look like this? Let's not even get started on whether that thing can fly

Thanks, but no thanks!
Romeo_Mike is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 30th January 2023, 11:31   #4183

I loved the movie. Why all the hate ?

It is a simple action movie at its core. People don't have any problem watching impossible action sequence when watching Hollywood movies. Why all the hate if the same is done at our own country's movie industry ??
iloveboost is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th January 2023, 11:38   #4184
Team-BHP Support

Watched Pathan yesterday, and I actually enjoyed the movie. There are loads of cliché and logic-defying action, but I felt SRK managed to pull this off really well with his swag and screen presence. Bollywood needed something like this, especially after a string of dud remakes and biopics. Deepika did her part well, not just ornamental and true to the character arch of a leading lady in a movie of this genre. Contrary to the popular opinion, I thought John Abraham was just ok – staying stiff and the evil grin suited the role but that was pretty much about it.

And it was IMAX worth – rating 3/5
vb-saan is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 30th January 2023, 13:35   #4185
BHPian

Saw Pathan in theaters last week. My first "Bollywood" movie in a theater post the pandemic. The movie was mediocre in my opinion. Was a poorer remixed version of War (which was executed much better) and Ek Tha Tiger.

That said, the overall viewing experience was great. The theater was packed, the decibel level of the crowd was high. This is an out-and-out SRK movie, and you would want to watch this only for SRK. Logic/Physics be damned. But the action was pacey. Second half better than the first. And despite the mediocre storyline would rate the overall theater-watching experience a 4/5. Watched it in IMAX 2D format.

Note: The entry scene of SRK had the crowd cheering, hooting, applauding, whistling. He certainly has a fan following. My 10 year old son, was up on his feet clapping away to glory and that for me was complete paisa vasool.
sachinayak is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed