Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 23rd April 2023, 10:06   #4231
BHPian

Re: The Hindi Movies Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashis89 View Post
All the characters have created enough suspense about the protagonist Bholaa so it remains to be seen how Ajay plans to make the sequence.
I guess Ajay will look at the source material and copy paste get inspired.
pandey.jai is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th April 2023, 22:07   #4232
Distinguished - BHPian

Tooth Pari in Netflix was a fun watch.
3.5/5

Selfie in Hotstar is best to be avoided.
2/5
Samba is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st May 2023, 10:46   #4233
Senior - BHPian

Finally watched ‘Pathaan’ over two sittings. I used to be a huge SRK fan from Swades/Chak De days but lately his movies are just, well, cringy. Watching salman khan was even funnier. The man looked so stubby and could barely move. The only bearable part of the movie was John probably.

And to call this movie a blockbuster.

Rating 1/5

Last edited by SoumenD : 1st May 2023 at 10:51.
SoumenD is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 1st May 2023, 11:37   #4234
Senior - BHPian

U Turn

Streaming: Zee

Based on the original 2016 Kannada movie, this one almost makes it watchable. Having watched the original, wanted to see what was different in the Hindi version and nothing was in fact this was a Copy paste kind of treatment given to the movie. The twists may appeal to some . I liked the acting of Aliya F in the lead role, rest of the cast was Ok. Those who havent watched the original movie might find this one an interesting watch. One time watch for sure.

Rating: 2.5/5
ghodlur is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2023, 16:02   #4235
Team-BHP Support

My daughter and I have started watching old classics. She really enjoys them now. We want to watch Dev Anand's "Jewel Thief" but the picture/sound quality on youtube is not good enough.

Is there any other way to enjoy the movie? Anyone has a DVD that I can borrow/purchase?

Justwatch.com does not throw any results.
Eddy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2023, 16:51   #4236
Senior - BHPian

PS2.

PS1 was a good one so my expectations were high with this. Very disappointed by the climax. Makes no sense what they did with the storyline in last 30 minutes. Best watch it when it comes on OTT.

RATING - 2.5/5
Old 11th May 2023, 01:48   #4237
Senior - BHPian

The Kerala Story - 4/5

Not dwelling into the story review. Appreciating the extra ordinary movie and the guts of the makers to attempt a film on such a sensitive subject. Brilliant acting by the lead actress and the others and some nice visuals of Iran - Afghanistan border.

Last edited by balenoed_ : 11th May 2023 at 01:50.
balenoed_ is offline   (30) Thanks
Old 11th May 2023, 10:43   #4238
BHPian

The Kerala Story
Rating: 4/5

The movie isn't some extraordinary cinematic experience or a lesson in the art of filmmaking.
What the movie is: Mediocre
What the movie isn't: A fake story or propaganda. But kudos to those involved in the making of this movie in actually broaching such an important topic.

I mean there are actual victims sharing their plight on camera and stating facts. There are hundreds of cases in the news from India to Europe to America. So, hats off that truth is finally being showcased on a big screen and the terrorists' organizations being exposed.

PS: The movie is an out an out hit. With barely any costs or huge star cast fee, it is making money hand over fist. The theater yesterday was houseful for every.single.show.
ValarMorghulis is offline   (45) Thanks
Old 13th May 2023, 18:34   #4239
BHPian

Mrs Chatterjee vs Norway on Netflix
Rating 5/5

Outstanding performance by Rani Mukherjee. It's based on a true story. Making an industry out of foster children, or making them orphan using stupid laws leaves you enraged, sad at the same time.
Looking at such cases or laws around abortion in these countries really shakes your beliefs on their developed nation status.
StepUP! is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th May 2023, 22:12   #4240
Distinguished - BHPian

IB71

Based on a true incident that happened in 1971. Every movie has some shortcomings and this also has its share. But it was a good watch overall. 3.5-4 stars out of 5 from me.
BoneCollector is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 14th May 2023, 09:16   #4241
BHPian

Kerela story

Rating 0/5.

The movie is a poorly made propaganda. The story line is paper thin. Some dialogues merely repeat popular opinions of certain organisations verbatim. The screenplay projects women as gullible targets that have to be protected through religious teachings.

Last edited by buzzy_boy : 14th May 2023 at 09:21.
buzzy_boy is offline   (37) Thanks
Old 14th May 2023, 09:24   #4242
BHPian

The Kerala Story is a poorly made propaganda film that’s based off half-truths. It greatly misrepresents and misquotes the numbers. I think promoting or demoting such movies goes against the ethos of Team BHP, which disallows political and religious discussions.
one-77 is offline   (21) Thanks
Old 14th May 2023, 09:37   #4243
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by one-77 View Post
I think promoting or demoting such movies goes against the ethos of Team BHP, which disallows political and religious discussions.
I don't believe that the discussing the Kerela story goes against the ethos of Team BHP. It is a movie that has been certified by CBFC. In the spirit of free-speech, forum members who have watched the movie are entitled to share their views.

The movie is about a polarizing subject. Naturally, there'll be irreconcilable difference in views. However, such differences shouldn't preclude debate IMHO.

My 2-cents: I can understand that you are troubled by the movie (like me). But, don't underestimate the intelligence of the common-man/person. There's a saying in Tamil which translates to "one can't fool everyone all-the-time". Both the extreme-right, and the extreme-left, will keeping learning that for the rest of human history.

Last edited by buzzy_boy : 14th May 2023 at 09:47.
buzzy_boy is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 14th May 2023, 10:06   #4244
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValarMorghulis View Post
[b]The Kerala Story

What the movie isn't: A fake story or propaganda. But kudos to those involved in the making of this movie in actually broaching such an important topic.

I mean there are actual victims sharing their plight on camera and stating facts. There are hundreds of cases in the news from India to Europe to America. So, hats off that truth is finally being showcased on a big screen and the terrorists' organizations being exposed.
Making movies on real-life stories is good, but care must be taken to ensure that only absolute verifiable facts be shown OR put glaring disclaimers that there is an amount of fiction in it. For example- the 32000 number is not verifiable in any of the sources- government (national/international) or otherwise.

The stories may be true, but the numbers give the picture of the gravity of the problem. If you have 1 thief in town, it is one thing. If half the town is full of theives, it is another. So if someone says that so-and-so town is full of theives where in reality only 3-4 of them are theives, think of the impression you put in the other person's head. There is definitely an amount of truth in the statement, but not all of it is true.

I would question (as others have questioned) the movie makers to bring facts on the numbers they quote.

If the numbers are really true, it is a failure of both state and central governments and all the intelligence agencies on covering up this fact and that this should come out only through movies.

So are we saying that the future of real information is only movies? That the intelligence agencies, the crime branch etc. are now to rely on movies for real information?

Free speech is a double edged sword. Let there only be 100% truth in free speech, else there is nothing "free" about it. It comes at a cost

Last edited by Car-go-man : 14th May 2023 at 10:10.
Car-go-man is offline   (27) Thanks
Old 14th May 2023, 11:18   #4245
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Car-go-man View Post
Free speech is a double-edged sword. Let there only be 100% truth in free speech, else there is nothing "free" about it. It comes at a cost
Well summed up.

Everybody is entitled to free speech, but the govt. should stay out of it. Instead, they're encouraging lies.

It has become a trend among govt. sponsored Individuals to first tell a big lie and apologize in private. How can a figure of 3 to 32k match up. It should've been 30k or at the most 25k. Where is 3 and where is 32k.

Will you buy a Car with a claimed mileage of 32,000 kms per litre of Fuel vs actual figure of 3 kms per litre. The very first customer will sue the company and the rest of the citizens see to it that the company shuts down its operations.

Central govt. agencies should be ashamed, since they control the international affairs, but since the figure of 3 is so miniscule, no one is questioning.

More than 1.5 lakh citizens die in road accidents in a year, that's about 400 per day. Let's concentrate on this.
jaaz is offline   (5) Thanks

Most Viewed