Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th March 2010, 18:17   #721
Distinguished - BHPian

Booked into " Road, Movie" tomorrow evening.

Like i said somewhere else on this forum, hope Abhay does not ditch me
Old 4th March 2010, 18:51   #722
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post

He does off beat movies all the time however i am not sure about this one. Saw the trailer which didn't excite me so will wait for your review.
Old 5th March 2010, 13:14   #723
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by oss View Post
Man, i should have read this thread earlier. It would have saved me the pain of having to sit through MNIK for what seemed to be an eternity.

The first half atleast was ok, but the second half was so melodramatic, I was bored to death, and just couldn't get out as the car was stuck in the middle. Can't get out unless the rest of the cars ahead or on the sides are moved.

I don't know what the hell was Karan Johar thinking, but i am sure SRK, being smart would have realised this is not going to fare well in the box office, and created the drama by pulling Sena into the controversy.

Yes, Khan's acting was good, but too much of it, and it seemed pointless after sometime, with all that dumbo stuff going on.

I would rate it 2/5, one point each for the acting of SRK & Kajol; nothing more.
I went through the torture of watching "My Name is Khan" last evening with family. I was resisting seeing this movie because my gut instinct told me this would be crap, which after seeing it realized was almost.

I didnt like SRK's acting. He was not consistent. Some scenes he acted well but many a times either he over-did or under-did the autistic bit. Infact, the young SRK dazzled me with his autistic acting. First one, not the second young one.

Kajol was wonderful as usual but in some places she was shrieking through the roof. Wish i carried some cotton pads. No doubt some places both of 'em have a great chemistry.

Story was main culprit, total crap. Elaborate racism shown which was not the case in US. Infact, Sikhs went through a lot of issues then muslims due to their appearance. Infact, if i compare, Kurbaan was much tigher, better storylined and fantastic to watch for this subject.

Songs and Music was non-existent. Not a single hummable tune.
Surprising, knowing its a KJ movie

I felt like laughing when they showed SRK and troupe saving those folks in Whilhemina, Georgia. That entire bit was straight from a comedy movie. There was not a single US govt rescue office ( knowing their rapidity in response towards any calamity), if you notice only a circular area is water clogged near the church. How much more lame the story teller and director can be?

As OSS mentioned, i was squirming in my seat right after intermission ( first half was OK) as its too darned long and asked mom and wifey atleast 4-5 times "can we go?" but, being the ladies they are who are fed hours of family drama on TV, they responded with a nasty glare at me.

2/5 ( I would have given this a dud, but there were some scenes of SRK and Kajol that's worth these 2 stars)
Old 5th March 2010, 14:12   #724
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Whew, my understanding of you saying those awards are "cosmetic" in nature is they are just nice decoration pieces which in reality are worthless. Hope people dont take these awards seriously and compare them to likes of Arjun Awards et.all
Sorry for going OT, but Saif Ali Khan became a Padma Shri. Now I feel things need to be taken very very seriously(cause matters seem to be going out of hand).

Last edited by Jayabusa : 5th March 2010 at 14:14.
Old 5th March 2010, 14:16   #725
BHPian

Quote:
I went through the torture of watching "My Name is Khan" last evening with family. I was resisting seeing this movie because my gut instinct told me this would be crap, which after seeing it realized was almost.
Echo. It's JUNK.
Old 5th March 2010, 15:49   #726
Senior - BHPian

Anyone watched Road, Movie?
Old 5th March 2010, 16:10   #727
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latheesh View Post
Anyone watched Road, Movie?
I am booked in today at 7:45pm
Old 5th March 2010, 16:51   #728
Senior - BHPian

Please update this thread with your review.
Old 5th March 2010, 20:15   #729
BHPian

Road movie.. rated as 3 star by rediff.com.. but awaiting for review.. from somebody who has actually seen it..
Somehow, I always feel that abhay deol, gives a different touch to every movie of his ...
Old 5th March 2010, 20:29   #730
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Looking forward to a review buddy! I wanna see this movie!
And yes, let's hope abhay doesn't ditch us
Old 6th March 2010, 10:24   #731
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry10 View Post
He does off beat movies all the time however i am not sure about this one. Saw the trailer which didn't excite me so will wait for your review.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Latheesh View Post
Please update this thread with your review.
Quote:
Originally Posted by yatinchoubal View Post
Road movie.. rated as 3 star by rediff.com.. but awaiting for review.. from somebody who has actually seen it..
Somehow, I always feel that abhay deol, gives a different touch to every movie of his ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by anekho View Post
Looking forward to a review buddy! I wanna see this movie!
And yes, let's hope abhay doesn't ditch us
Here you go !

Watched " Road Movie" last evening

It would be an understatement to say i was disappointed. This movie is so slow it can put art-movies to sleep. It falls in that genre ( dont know if such genre exists) where each dialogue is blurted after a long pause keeping you on tenterhooks.

Some scenes like that is good to build up your excitement. But, hello, i cant bear it for an entire movie.

Story in gist, Abhay's father is into hair oil making business and expects his son to sell their products. Naturally, our dapper friend ain't interested so he goes on a ride to deliver an old chrysler to someone as a favour to his uncle. This beaten-up chrysler can also be turned into a movie screening machine. So movie is about how he endures this journey meeting a few interesting characters riding through parched desert and luring folks to watch cinema in exchange for " Water" and other small favours.

This movie is about Abhay discovering himself and takes this journey to deliver the truck in exchange for "something" which you will know when you see the movie !

Cinematography is beautiful. Stark desert with blue skies and just a few objects in the frame.

Abhay Deol was not his best in this movie. He has gone so thin, you would think he is from Ethopia. However, Satish Kaushik stole the show with his endearing smile

That young fella ( Mohammad Faizal) was hilarious in a few scenes
I particularly loved one scene at the end of movie between Abhay and Yashpal Sharma which was funny like hell ( you know a comedy scene with a straight face types) and kind of a mock-up advertisement and my rating slightly tilted upwards for this crazy scene.

Tanishita Chatterjee was dark, hot, sultry to the core!

Overall, entire movie's length is only 1.40 minutes but, is so slow that I'll bet you will look at your watch a few times. Not to mention the multiplex was almost half empty on the first day itself.

Dev Benegal we aren't yet ready for such un-conventional films yet

1.5/5 ( Just for a few hilarious scenes)
Old 6th March 2010, 10:56   #732
Senior - BHPian

I am a huge Abhay Deol Fan and I am surprised they are not showing ROAD here in Agra in both Fun Cinemas & BIG Cinemas !!

Crazzy !!

Reading the above review I am a bit surprised BUT I guess it would be slow. Robert De Niro has taken rights to distribute the movie in the US. It is also getting a lot of critical acclaim in international movie fields. there is something in the papers everyday about Road.

Let's see - I wll still watch it if it comes next week to Agra. Else DVD !
Old 6th March 2010, 11:49   #733
Senior - BHPian

@mobike-
Guess so i was right after all.
Sigh! No good movie to see this weekend :(
Old 6th March 2010, 15:32   #734
Senior - BHPian

atithi tum kab jaoge

a light-hearted movie that makes you smile, cry and makes you emotional at various points of time.

the comedy is quite situational and also has funny one-liners.

the screenplay also has devotional scenes which is smartly injected into the story and it makes the graph go higher.

the acting is exceptional, paresh rawal steals the show, ajay devgan acts superbly, konkana sen is a natural, satish kaushik is good too. music is on the situational side and neither pleases nor bores.

on the whole, the movie is sensible, light comedy, humor and has strong flow of emotion at various points of screenplay making this a must watch with family.

for once we get a feel good movie after 3-idiots.

4/5. 1 less because of songs and some unwanted scenes.
Old 6th March 2010, 16:09   #735
Distinguished - BHPian

@Chevelle, nice to see that review. That's next on my list.

I am a big fan of Paresh and Boman Irani. I try not to miss their movies.

They are one of the finest actors of current era.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks