Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th February 2011, 14:40   #1366
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Hindi Movies Thread

Saw Golmaal 3 yesterday on Colours. Was very very disappointed with Rohit Shetty. What happened to his genius touch of Golmaal.

The movie is pathetic with the actors going from Ok to worse through the sequels. Tushar Kapoor who won many hearts in the first movie was reduced to buffonery in this movie. This movie sucks big time.

Rating: 0.5/5
Old 15th February 2011, 23:16   #1367
PPS
Senior - BHPian

^^ Completely agree with you. Me too saw it on Colors, was a waste of time.
Has anybody seen this movie called 'Maharathi' starring Paresh Rawal, Boman Irani, Neha Dhupia. Its one of the most under-rated movies !
Old 16th February 2011, 00:00   #1368
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PPS View Post
Has anybody seen this movie called 'Maharathi' starring Paresh Rawal, Boman Irani, Neha Dhupia. Its one of the most under-rated movies !
I have! I really liked it - good mix of all elements and interesting story

I think I even posted a mini-review on this thread after seeing it.

Been quite a while since I saw it though. Just might watch it again soon!
Old 16th February 2011, 03:10   #1369
Senior - BHPian

Saw Yeh saali Zindagi followed by Dil to Baccha hai Ji.

Yeh saali is worth watching again. Very interesting characterisation and great job by the casting director. The Dilli Haryanvi dialect however is utter nonsense. The producers would have done well to have hired a language expert and it would have raised the level of the final presentation.

Dil is just that, a Baccha. Madhur Bhandarkar is capable of much much better work as we have seen before.
Old 16th February 2011, 12:54   #1370
Distinguished - BHPian

Wanted to watch "Yeh Sali Zindagi" and bought wrong tickets for " Patiala House".

Man, did i go through some serious torture.

Story of a Cricketeer wannabe sacrificing for his father's illogical concept of he should not represent Englishmen despite living in England. Fast forward 17 years, At age of 34, he gets an opportunity to redeem himself. He bowls 6 balls and is included into English team. If that was the case, every gulli cricketeer would have been in the national team. Film-makers give our intelligence a fraction of credit.

He does it for his entire family who are gutless spines who cannot stand in front of "Bauji" A.k.a Rishi Kapoor

First half is so unbearable I was squirming in my seat through out and second half is also equally boring except for the last 15-20 minutes which was just about average predominantly due to some bollywood style "tension" of final match.

Askhay again in a loser role "again". How was it different from his "Housefull" act? I seriously feel he should get back into action roles again. maybe the police officer kind. I got so bored looking at Askhay's long ( read : Sad, Bored and Dejected) face throught the film

Anuskha Sharma has a nice face ( sometimes it reminds me of a smooth egg) but, she hammed badly, was terribly artificial with those wide fake grins. Her acting was plain forced and overacting would be a mild word.

There are plenty of cliches and ridiculously all other members of the extended family have ambitions that are counter to the "indian" culture. Someone wants to be a french gourmet chef, rapper, marry a foreigner and one lady wants a yash chopra marriage. Gawd!

Regarding rest of the cast, Not a single person suits in their role or whom you can remember as they were outright digusting to look at and about their acting skills, nothing said the better. In such movies, usually a character's acting usually lingers for a long time.

Even Rishi Kapoor was wasted in his role. Compare his sardarji act with Anupam Kher's in YPD. No prize for guessing who acted better.

They tried doing a Bend It like Beckam which failed miserably. When I think of a well made sports movie like "Chak De" this kind of laidback and just for heck movie-making makes me furious.

Overall, horrible storyline, even worse acting and pathetic musical score makes this movie a big "FLOP"

1/5

Last edited by mobike008 : 16th February 2011 at 12:57.
Old 16th February 2011, 13:02   #1371
Distinguished - BHPian

^^ I understand your frustration, sometime back i promised myself that i would never go for a Akshay Kr movie again unless everyone recommends it. I hope you have not seen Chandni chowk to China.

BTW Yeh saali zindagi is a nice movie, don't miss it.
Old 16th February 2011, 13:14   #1372
Team-BHP Support

Recently I bought the DVD of Tees Mar Khan. Why did I buy this flop movie? That is because I thoroughly enjoyed Farah Khan's earlier spoof kind of movies like Mein Hoo Na and Om Shanti Om. Also, I thought the film would be as crispy as the song Shiela Ki Jawani.

BIG MISTAKE!

Ok, there were lots of funny spoofs on movies and even commercials. So it was tolerable as long as the spoofs were delivered. The thread-bare story is about Akshay's attempt to steal antiques from a train. Right after interval, Akshay's plan suffers a major setback. At the same time, script writer loses his brain, director loses his/her sanity, we lost our patience. Switched off the TV after that. I am not at all curious about the rest.

Last edited by Samurai : 16th February 2011 at 13:33.
Old 16th February 2011, 13:19   #1373
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by .anshuman View Post
^^ I understand your frustration, sometime back i promised myself that i would never go for a Akshay Kr movie again unless everyone recommends it. I hope you have not seen Chandni chowk to China.
Thank god. I didnt watch CCC and TMK despite those songs luring you to watch their brainless acts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Recently I bought the DVD of Tees Mar Khan.
Thank yourself, you werent at someone else's mercy. Atleast you were able to switch off the TV.

My mom went with a few of her friends to TMK in a theatre and they walked out in 30 minutes flat.
Old 16th February 2011, 13:35   #1374
Team-BHP Support

Compared to TMK, Chandni chowk to China is Oscar worthy.
Old 16th February 2011, 16:21   #1375
BHPian

Quote:
Compared to TMK, Chandni chowk to China is Oscar worthy.

Read this somewhere: "If you can survive Tees Maar Khan and Chandni Chowk to China, Patiala House is a cake walk! "
Old 17th February 2011, 10:32   #1376
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PPS View Post
Nice recommendation. Thanks. Watched it yesterday. An extremely well made and gripping movie with heavy weight cast in terms of acting skills, Paresh Rawal, Naseeruddin shah, Boman Irani, Om Puri Phew!!
Old 17th February 2011, 10:38   #1377
BHPian

Watched Yeh Saali Zindagi

I loved the movie. All the actors did a splendid job. Irrfan Khan and Saurabh Shukla were at their natural best.
There were way too many characters in the movie, all of them fitted perfectly in their respective roles.

It was a very nice comic/action/thriller I have seen in a long time.

I would recommend you to watch it in theater. When it comes on TV, you are only going to hear BEEPS.

A few scenes in the 2nd half seems like a drag, but overall its a very fast paced movie.

I would rate it 4/5.

WARNING: The movie has way way too much of profanities. Not advisable to watch with family.
Old 17th February 2011, 10:39   #1378
BANNED

Quote:
Recently I bought the DVD of Tees Mar Khan. Why did I buy this flop movie? That is because I thoroughly enjoyed Farah Khan's earlier spoof kind of movies like Mein Hoo Na and Om Shanti Om. Also, I thought the film would be as crispy as the song Shiela Ki Jawani.

BIG MISTAKE!

Ok, there were lots of funny spoofs on movies and even commercials. So it was tolerable as long as the spoofs were delivered. The thread-bare story is about Akshay's attempt to steal antiques from a train. Right after interval, Akshay's plan suffers a major setback. At the same time, script writer loses his brain, director loses his/her sanity, we lost our patience. Switched off the TV after that. I am not at all curious about the rest.
Quote:
Originally Posted by aa_asif View Post
Read this somewhere: "If you can survive Tees Maar Khan and Chandni Chowk to China, Patiala House is a cake walk! "

I have a quick fix formula to make TMK a SUPER DUPER HIT

Put Rajnikant's pic on the movie poster

BTW, i am shocked to see such High budget,Brainless movies getting released in the recent years.

No one notices wonderful movies like Udaan or Phas gaye re Obama.
Old 17th February 2011, 11:10   #1379
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAVAN KADAM View Post
BTW, i am shocked to see such High budget,Brainless movies getting released in the recent years.

No one notices wonderful movies like Udaan or Phas gaye re Obama.
The golden period of Hindi Cinema in it's whole history has to be mid-90's to mid 2000's. Some of the best movies got made in this time
- Satya
- Company
- Gangajal
- Sarfarosh
- Zakhm
- Thakshak
- Ek Hasina Thi
- Dil Chahta Hain
- Ghulam
- Hu Tu Tu
- Hindustani
- Lagaan
- Dilwale Dulhaniya Le Jayenge
- Deewana Mastana
- Love Ke Liye Kuch Bhi Karega.

Last 5 odd years have been pretty pathetic with the only movies I liked being
- Johnny Gaddar
- Sarkar
- Apharan

Last edited by carboy : 17th February 2011 at 11:11.
Old 17th February 2011, 18:35   #1380
Distinguished - BHPian

@Carboy, your mostly right about the golden era. I added a few that I liked to your list that came to mind on the spur.

Will add more later on as i am sure there still would be few more

The golden period of Hindi Cinema in it's whole history has to be mid-90's to mid 2000's. Some of the best movies got made in this time
- Satya
- Company
- Gangajal
- Sarfarosh
- Zakhm
- Thakshak
- Ek Hasina Thi
- Dil Chahta Hain
- Ghulam
- Hu Tu Tu
- Hindustani
- Lagaan