Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 17th February 2011, 18:42   #1381
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Hindi Movies Thread

^^

Agree with most of the movies in the list. Some of them are remakes.
Old 23rd February 2011, 03:17   #1382
Senior - BHPian

Saw two movies

Saat Khoon Maaf

The Movie is based on a Ruskin Bond's short story, Susanna's Seven Husbands. The movie is about 'Saheb' (Priyanka Chopra) & her experience with different husbands who all end up dead.

The movie is very gripping, brilliant performances by all. Priyanka is proving her mettle with every movie that she does & is simply superb in this movie as well. The casting & characterizations are perfect. For a Vishal Bhardwaj film the music is pretty average if not poor.

A must watch movie

4.5/5

Yeh Saali Zindagi

The movie starts on an interesting note, then the director gets busy with another story & then another & then another and then somewhere he realizes that he needs to link up all these different stories.The intros continue till almost interval. Its a mix up of different stories with some really loose screenplay. You wouldnt expect this from a director like Sudhir Mishra

So what really works for the movie?
The dialogues are street language hence funny most of the times. The star cast is great, with such actors you can make even the most boring picture worth watching for a while. Chitrangada Singh looks pretty hot & acts equally well, one wonders as to why we dont get to see more of her

Overall

2.5/5
Old 23rd February 2011, 12:34   #1383
Senior - BHPian

Few movies which i watched and liked in the recent past:

All rating is out of 5.

Yeh Saali Zindagi:4.5
Mirch: 4 (def not for people who have too much of male ego)
Due Date:4 (more of Bheja fry stuff, but even bheja fry guy's bheja also will get fried seeing this)
Old 25th February 2011, 01:42   #1384
Senior - BHPian

Just came back from 7 Khoon Maaf.

As already stated previously, its an awesome movie but warning that again not everybody will like it. The movie is "A" rated and this movie actually means its rating. So please don't take young children to the movie like a few morons who had taken come with their children and staged a walkout in the middle.

The acting by all is very good, but what takes the cake is the small nuances that make the production quality much above regular bollywood film. For e.g.: The white characters don't talk in fluent hindi but in the same way that they would have normally spoken. Priyanka Chopra's make to show her aging is really fantastic.

Overall 4/5 Must Watch!
Old 25th February 2011, 02:42   #1385
Senior - BHPian

Saw 7 khoon maaf on Tuesday. Dark, damp squib. A fantastic story by Ruskin bond (who incidentally plays a small cameo in the film) completely wasted. Could have been so much more gripping and involving.

Priyanka Chopra tries so hard and every time a technical flaw pulls her right down. Not that it would make much difference if the technical flaws were rectified. In Kaminey she learnt to speak Marathi like a Maharashtrian and managed it somewhat, but she spoke Hindi like a regular North Indian.

In '7 khoon maaf' too while playing an aged woman, she has got the look somewhat but a couple of closeups of her hands give the game away. Her hands are that of a young woman, the skin firm and tout unlike the wrinkled hands of an older woman with sagging, loose skin however genteel a life she might have lived.
Old 25th February 2011, 07:57   #1386
Senior - BHPian

Saw '7 khoon maaf' and to say it is one of the super duper-nonsense movies I have seen since last year. I go to theatres for entertaining movies and this movie just do the opposite. Even the movie does'nt show '7 khoon' clearly either the scenes were changed at the time of murder or something else happened. There was no TRAP for even one murder to call it an intelligent one and the no reason for Priyanka to do 7 murders, the stupid philosophy of director I could'nt understand, such a shame. All of this resulted in the end of me beinge the 8th victim of Priyanka.

Last edited by mercedised : 25th February 2011 at 08:02.
Old 26th February 2011, 15:02   #1387
BHPian

Guys I watched a movie called "Barah Aana" recently. The film is really good and tells the tale of a watchman, waiter and chauffer who are neighbors in a slum. These guys get lured into crime because of their desperate circumstances.

A very entertaining film with a good story and brilliant acting by Naseeruddin Shah and the dude who plays the watchman. It's a pity that good Indian cinema barely gets noticed while mindless commercial films with stupid item songs hog all the limelight.
Old 26th February 2011, 15:05   #1388
Distinguished - BHPian

Saw 7 Khoon Maaf last week, it surely is a dark and different movie but i really liked it.
Old 27th February 2011, 12:56   #1389
Senior - BHPian

7 Khoon Maaf, the best movie i have seen from a long time. Very gripping..like some one said, strictly for adults.
Old 28th February 2011, 15:55   #1390
BHPian

Any reviews on "Tanu Weds Manu"?
Old 28th February 2011, 16:09   #1391
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheetumanu View Post
Any reviews on "Tanu Weds Manu"?
Stay away.
I want my 500 bucks back.

I did not expect this from dud movie from Madhavan. But he plays his role well.
Kangana tries too hard to do a Jeet@jab we met. And fails miserably.
Jimmy Shergill tries a rough character role and fails miserably.

And story is......hey what story?

The biggest letdown of course has been the portrayal of the Hindi Belt.
The director simply could not get it right.

Wait and within a month or two this movie will be on Colors or some other channel.

Again: I want my 500 buck back.

OT: Ravi Kishan was convincing though.

Last edited by download2live : 28th February 2011 at 16:14.
Old 1st March 2011, 08:00   #1392
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfheart View Post
Guys I watched a movie called "Barah Aana" recently. The film is really good and tells the tale of a watchman, waiter and chauffer who are neighbors in a slum. These guys get lured into crime because of their desperate circumstances.

A very entertaining film with a good story and brilliant acting by Naseeruddin Shah and the dude who plays the watchman. It's a pity that good Indian cinema barely gets noticed while mindless commercial films with stupid item songs hog all the limelight.
Thanks. I watched this y'day and liked this movie. Neat narration, decent performances all around. Please let me know of more movies of this kind.

Last edited by JMaruru : 1st March 2011 at 08:32.
Old 1st March 2011, 13:31   #1393
JVH
Senior - BHPian

7 khoon maaf

While there are mixed reviews written here about the technical flaws and the movie being on the dark side, I for one, loved the movie being unique. Maybe was tired watching the mindless slapstick comedies and so this was a great change. We were warned about the movie being unkind to kids and like someone here posted, some parents walked away with their kids in the middle of the movie itself.

Despite its flaws, I think the movie is very well made. A great storyline is the strength of the movie. Narration lacked dum and could have been better. Some actors are definitely under utilized but I guess with the story being such, it was expected.

This was a powerful role for Priyanka but I still feel she isn't there yet at the tops as far as the critical fame is concerned.

Would love to see movies of similar kind.

Rating - 3.5/5
Old 1st March 2011, 15:02   #1394
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMaruru View Post
Thanks. I watched this y'day and liked this movie. Neat narration, decent performances all around. Please let me know of more movies of this kind.
I'm glad you liked it. Here are a few Indian films that went unnoticed but are very good films.
Attached Thumbnails
The Hindi Movies Thread-8d03e_04122008191359_1.jpg  

The Hindi Movies Thread-dasvidaniya2.jpg  

The Hindi Movies Thread-ho-sakta-hai-2006.jpg  

The Hindi Movies Thread-johnnygaddar.jpg  

The Hindi Movies Thread-straight1.jpg  

The Hindi Movies Thread-japanese-wife-rahul-bose-raima-sen-chigusa-takaku-aparna-sen.jpg  

Old 2nd March 2011, 19:49   #1395
Distinguished - BHPian

Saw Tanu weds Manu last night. Strictly average movie. Kangna should give up acting, poor acting + even worse accent makes her intolerable in this movie.

2/5

Most Viewed