Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 25th December 2009, 17:13   #556
Senior - BHPian

3 IDIOTS -

I am not here describing or writing a review on this movie as I'd expect almost everyone to watch this movie

The movie is easily one of the best movies ever made and is a Laugh Riot ( First Half ) and a feel good movie.

Aamir is easily the best actor in the Indian Film Industry.

Just go and watch it people !! You will not be dissapointed. I give it a 4.5 / 5 just for the sake of it. It easily deserves a 5 * !!
Old 25th December 2009, 18:34   #557
Senior - BHPian

3 Idiots is unarguably the most amazing film in the last decade or so. The effort put in by the entire team is clearly visible. I dont remember watching such a film since RDB. I's easily give it 4.5/5, but as vkochar mentioned it deserves a 5/5. Dont miss this for anything at all.
Old 25th December 2009, 19:32   #558
Senior - BHPian

X-Machine - Problem with RDB was it had a unhappy ending and with this movie - you laugh throughout and it truly is a feel good movie.

No doubt - it is one of the best movies ever made and the best for this decade.
Old 26th December 2009, 10:46   #559
Senior - BHPian

3 Idiots

This one is a very nice entertaining laugh riot (for most of the part). It bears the Rajkumar Hirani stamp of direction and that is a good thing.

Aamir and Madhavan play college guys - Aamir pulls it off mostly but Madhavan seems an ill fit in the college role. Sharman is good as usual. Kareena is her Jab We Met self - bubbly.

Yes you will get a feel of different films when you watch this one - Munnabhai, DCH, RDB and then some more.

I had my reservations about how the movie would turn out since it was based / inspired by 5 point someone, which is not a very good book in the first place (too filmy). But Hirani has apparently been inspired to take a few scenes from the book and not the entire book itself, which is a very good thing.

The acting is very good but you get a sense of deja vu. Aamir has done this role many times before as has Sharman Joshi. Madhavan also has done at least one role like this before. Kareena repeats her JWM avtaar. The real hero for me was MR CHATUR - awesome performance from him and the icing on the cake was Boman Irani (though I could relate to his doctor role in Munnabhai a lot).

Music is average, a couple of songs work well on the screen. The college scenes look real.

A lot of cinematic liberty has been taken in the movie and Manmohan Desai type miracles happen too . The climax just fizzles out the whole good feeling of watching a good movie - it's too cheey and filmy for my liking.

Verdict - 3.5/5.
A worthy one time watch with lots of cinematic liberty taken but in the end AAAL IS WELL.
Old 26th December 2009, 19:54   #560
BHPian

3 idiots - Superb movie, I would give 4.5/5 for this one. during intervel, SMSd to all my friends to see this movie.
Rajiv Masand had given 3/5 & his views were thrashed by every one in ibnlive.com.

This is one of the best in this decade.
Pengong tso looks stunning & ending was good too.

Watching it again next week !!!
Old 27th December 2009, 02:27   #561
Senior - BHPian

3 Idiots - I agree with N_C and think this movie doesn't deserve more than 3/5. For me, it is as good or bad as any other comedy hits of the year like Azab Prem... and All The Best.

While there are few good jokes, like the one with the hindi speech and the one about Gujarati food names, there are also the old ones like the Pencil and Pen, Pizza and Ambulance!

Then there is the baby delivery scene and the baby kicking on hearing all is well! Honestly, that is a little too much for a 'movie of the decade'! If it wasn't for the message/theme of this movie, everybody would've trashed it, IMHO.

As for as the performances go, the only person that leaves an impression is Mr. Chatur!

Last edited by safari_lover : 27th December 2009 at 02:40.
Old 28th December 2009, 03:22   #562
Senior - BHPian

Saw 3 idiots couple of days back.
For mr movir of the year. Rest is already said.

My rating - 4.5/5
Watching it again with my gf tomm'
Old 28th December 2009, 03:41   #563
Senior - BHPian

3 Idiots is indeed a slick movie with Aamir doing what he does best and surprisingly Raju Hirani has managed to tame Karina Kapoor's usual histrionics and extract a decent performance from her too.

However, at the end of it all the base line story is similar to "Taare Zameen Per" as in do not force your wishes/dreams/diktat on your children and let them take take their own paths. It is like the multijet 1.3 on the inside and Swift, Indica, Punto, Ritz on the outside! Not that there is anything wrong with that line of thought but while it is acceptable in the automotive world it becomes repetitive for a movie and that too coming from the same artist.

The treatment of course is completely different and entertaining. My mother wants to watch it again and so do I.
Old 28th December 2009, 12:53   #564
Senior - BHPian

Watched 3 Idiots Yesterday.

I too agree with NC & Safari Lover. This movie is a concoction of Munna Bhai, DCH, TZP et ctc. The jokes are from Internet, The actors & characters carried on from earlier movies, Jaddu ki Jhaapi was replaced by All izz Well. Heck even music is like it was in Parineeta.

Also I wonder why is it called 3 idiots when its all about 1 guy who is different & two of his room mates who were more or less same as some others in batch.

So overall it is a new presentation of something which has been done before.

Having said that this is a pucca entertainment movie & surprisingly Aamir Khan pulls it off effortlessly as a college student. The direction is good, the feel is fresh & scenes make you go back to your college days memories.

So while it lacks any new story being told feel to it, it is definitely a must watch for some light moments & pure entertainment that it offers.

Rating 3.75
Old 28th December 2009, 13:34   #565

I just watched 3idiots and totally enjoyed it

W
Old 28th December 2009, 15:09   #566
Senior - BHPian

Why is Three Idiots seen only as a laugh riot, didnt you get the slaps with each laugh on:

- Our education system
- Parent pressure and expectations
- Big ego's of College lecturers
- Our age old fetish towards Engineering and Medical profession.

and how the whole system works to reward the bookish knowledge and toppers and demotivate the rest. if not, please see it again and enjoy the slaps.
Old 28th December 2009, 15:25   #567
Senior - BHPian

These slaps were already delivered in TZP & Munnabhai MBBS.
Old 28th December 2009, 16:14   #568
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technocrat View Post
These slaps were already delivered in TZP & Munnabhai MBBS.
I beg to differ, Rajkumar Hirani is picking up different walks of life for these everytime. Its only that we dont realize it as we are so embedded into it.
Old 29th December 2009, 00:12   #569
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadu View Post
Why is Three Idiots seen only as a laugh riot, didnt you get the slaps with each laugh on:

- Our education system
- Parent pressure and expectations
- Big ego's of College lecturers
- Our age old fetish towards Engineering and Medical profession.

and how the whole system works to reward the bookish knowledge and toppers and demotivate the rest. if not, please see it again and enjoy the slaps.
The two funniest parts of the movie was that "rape" (Balatkar) speech and the party where they have to deliver the baby! HAHAHA Kareena was showing them YouTube clips of how the baby was gonna come out; as a medical student i can definetly relate to that
Old 29th December 2009, 11:12   #570
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliAtenza View Post
The two funniest parts of the movie was that "rape" (Balatkar) speech and the party where they have to deliver the baby! HAHAHA Kareena was showing them YouTube clips of how the baby was gonna come out; as a medical student i can definetly relate to that
I think another really funny scene was when they had to submit the exam papers and Rancho "Kya Aap Jante Hai Hum Kaun Hai?"

Most Viewed