Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th February 2010, 10:37   #646
Senior - BHPian

My Name is Khan

Everyone knows the story by now - so I won't delve into that.

The performances are first rate - but saying that SRK matches Dustin Hoffman is stretching things too far. He is good no doubt and he will get all awards next year for sure but this even though a very polished performance is NOT his best IMO. That honour still lies with the character of Sunil in Kabhi Haan Kabhi Naa.

Kajol (oh how I hate her) walks away with the performance of the movie in the 2 scenes that she has. Killer performance from her.

All others are good. The music is not great - it's good and the picturisation actually helps the songs.

The movie could have been shorter by easily 30-40 minutes. And even though Karan Johar has done a good job in directing a movie that is not candy floss like his usual movies - cinematic liberty is aplenty in the movie and at times you can see him almost go into that territory but he holds back.

Verdict - 3/5
. 1 star is exclusively for Kajol's 2 scenes.
Old 15th February 2010, 12:15   #647
Senior - BHPian

MNIK

I agree with N_C when he says the movie could've been 30-40 minutes shorter.

The first half is decent but it's in the second half that Karan Johar makes you want to sleep! Overtly dramatized and stretched like a chewing gum.

It's the performances that you like about this movie. SRK has done a very good job, as said by everybody.

And, Kajol just shows why she is one of the best actresses of her time! Her performance in a couple of scenes is just superb!

All in all I would rate this movie at not more than 3. And that only for performances.

PS - I think this movie would fetch SRK his first(?) National award

Last edited by safari_lover : 15th February 2010 at 12:22.
Old 15th February 2010, 17:02   #648
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by normally_crazy View Post
My Name is Khan

Everyone knows the story by now - so I won't delve into that.

The performances are first rate - but saying that SRK matches Dustin Hoffman is stretching things too far. He is good no doubt and he will get all awards next year for sure but this even though a very polished performance is NOT his best IMO. That honour still lies with the character of Sunil in Kabhi Haan Kabhi Naa.
+1 to that. SRK's finest role was that in KHKN and i never liked any other movie of his except maybe Chak De to some extent and other New York setted movie, forgetting the name.

According to SRK, even he considers KHKN as his best role. What a movie that was
Old 15th February 2010, 17:40   #649
Senior - BHPian

Watched Ishqiya

The Hindi Movies Thread-ishqiya.jpg

Brilliant performances by the lead stars & also performances by Nandu & Mr Verma were very good. As expected the film is a bit raw & its about two con men who are running away from gang lord from whom they have stolen money.

In their pursuit to seek a safe place they end up meeting Krishnaji who is widow of someone they had met long time ago.

The story takes a twist when they realize that she too is like them & then starts a series of twist & turns which keep you wondering "what next" .

What I liked was both the lead actors maintained the correct accent(of Bhopalis) through out the movie.

As some one said the end is a bit disappointing. Also I failed to understand why a well shot desi movie turns to a western type of ending(direction wise) depicting a poor attempt at being a poor copy of John Woo & Tarantino styles.

My Rating 3.5/5

p.s. Vidya Balan is oh so not Heroine types, she looks fat & old

Last edited by Rehaan : 21st November 2017 at 16:56. Reason: Old post. Small typo :)
Old 15th February 2010, 18:59   #650
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by normally_crazy View Post
My Name is Khan

The movie could have been shorter by easily 30-40 minutes. And even though Karan Johar has done a good job in directing a movie that is not candy floss like his usual movies - cinematic liberty is aplenty in the movie and at times you can see him almost go into that territory but he holds back.

Verdict - 3/5
. 1 star is exclusively for Kajol's 2 scenes.
NC, you'll be amazed to know the actual runtime of the movie was 3h33m. They had to go back on the editing table to chop the nonsense. Thanks to the editor, we'd to suffer a little less.
Old 15th February 2010, 19:12   #651
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technocrat View Post
As some one said the end is a bit disappointing. Also I failed to understand why a well shot desi movie turns to a western type of ending(direction wise) depicting a poor attempt at being a poor copy of John Woo & Tarantino styles.

My Rating 3.5/5

p.s. Vidya Balan is oh so not Heroin types, she looks fat & old
Ditto rating.

Actually, I had heard from so many people that the ending was bad that my expectations were rock bottom. So I actually enjoyed the ending too.
Old 15th February 2010, 19:31   #652
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
According to SRK, even he considers KHKN as his best role. What a movie that was
Correct me if I am wrong but that film did not do too well to be considered a hit even. Thats what I heard. Also people like Amitabh in different roles and films but the character of Azad is still etched in my mind of Main Azad hoon. Great performance and acting but the most people thought otherwise.
Old 15th February 2010, 19:54   #653
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by safari_lover View Post
The first half is decent but it's in the second half that Karan Johar makes you want to sleep! Overtly dramatized and stretched like a chewing gum.
+1.
I appreciated the movie until SRK goes and saves an American village from a Hurricane. A nice serious movie was ruined by Karan Johar pushing the limits too far.

Overall a tear jerker from start to finish. Public was severly dehydrated after the show from all the sobbing.
Old 15th February 2010, 21:10   #654
vsh
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prince_pervez View Post
Correct me if I am wrong but that film did not do too well to be considered a hit even. Thats what I heard. Also people like Amitabh in different roles and films but the character of Azad is still etched in my mind of Main Azad hoon. Great performance and acting but the most people thought otherwise.
yes, you are right, film did not do too well. but it was really a nice movie. songs are melodious. actually one song was based on a track of Boney M. I think director was kundan shah who made the serial CIRCUS for DD. A nice serial with shahrukh and renuka shahane, remember it? i think the movie failed due to its abrupt end.
Old 18th February 2010, 11:06   #655
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower View Post
+1.
I appreciated the movie until SRK goes and saves an American village from a Hurricane. A nice serious movie was ruined by Karan Johar pushing the limits too far.
This is the same what I heard from a die hard SRK fan.
Old 19th February 2010, 02:08   #656
Senior - BHPian

^^^^
what a useless movie. and all these news channel esp. NDTV pitting it against 3 idiots are morons.
Old 20th February 2010, 02:26   #657
oss
BHPian

Man, i should have read this thread earlier. It would have saved me the pain of having to sit through MNIK for what seemed to be an eternity.

The first half atleast was ok, but the second half was so melodramatic, I was bored to death, and just couldn't get out as the car was stuck in the middle. Can't get out unless the rest of the cars ahead or on the sides are moved.

I don't know what the hell was Karan Johar thinking, but i am sure SRK, being smart would have realised this is not going to fare well in the box office, and created the drama by pulling Sena into the controversy.

Yes, Khan's acting was good, but too much of it, and it seemed pointless after sometime, with all that dumbo stuff going on.

I would rate it 2/5, one point each for the acting of SRK & Kajol; nothing more.
Old 20th February 2010, 08:27   #658
Distinguished - BHPian

Last evening saw " Click" starring Shreyas Talpade, Sada and Sneha Ulaal

I went because i love this genre. As expected, it was a straight scene to scene lift from the Jap movie " Shutter"

Movie has a B/C grade feel to it right from the begining down to the beaten up red-esteem hero drives.

First half was C gradish feel, post interval it improved to B gradish and some of the scares will really spook you out and must say well executed.

Wish it had better actors ( i dont like Shreyas, he looks like an auto driver), tighter script and little more budget this movie could have been a winner.

Watch " Shutter" which is several times superior.

Only saving grace of the movie was the name of Shreyas character which was after me ( Avi )....

2/5
Old 20th February 2010, 13:23   #659
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
Last evening saw " Click" starring Shreyas Talpade, Sada and Sneha Ulaal

I went because i love this genre. As expected, it was a straight scene to scene lift from the Jap movie " Shutter"

Movie has a B/C grade feel to it right from the begining down to the beaten up red-esteem hero drives.

First half was C gradish feel, post interval it improved to B gradish and some of the scares will really spook you out and must say well executed.

Wish it had better actors ( i dont like Shreyas, he looks like an auto driver), tighter script and little more budget this movie could have been a winner.

Watch " Shutter" which is several times superior.

Only saving grace of the movie was the name of Shreyas character which was after me ( Avi )....

2/5
Hey Dude,

I plan to watch the movie tonight buit mirror gave it a 1/5 review and says that the effects are crap. the review makes comparisons with Casper the friendly ghost and Vikram Betaal!

The thing is that being a hardcore horror buff, nothing peeves me off like a crap horror movie. Is this worth a watch or should I skip it?
Old 20th February 2010, 13:29   #660
Team-BHP Support

^^ I too am a fan of this genre. Just for reference, which do you think is the best Hindi movie belonging to this genre ?

What are your views about 13B ?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks