Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th August 2013, 16:05   #2371
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anand123 View Post
. Deepika was good. Her tamil pronunciation was much better than what I expected. Satyaraj was wasted.
power of a mass entertainer!!
Deepika has matured as a good actress. She is very pretty indeed and from what I am told, very pleasant as a person too. Being a Southerner from a pucca background and having for a long time been based here in Bangalore, it is but to be expected that her Tamil pronunciation is good, considering that there have been Tamil people of a certain level of quality and society living in Mysore and Bangalore for absolutely ages.
The film Chennai Express is clearly not calculated to appeal to the more intellectual or more fastidious amongst us but I am 100% sure it does its job nicely as a mass entertainer.

Last edited by shankar.balan : 15th August 2013 at 16:06.
Old 16th August 2013, 17:52   #2372
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: The Hindi Movies Thread

Chennai Express: Overhyped. Deepika's tamil accent was good and the only other thing that I can praise about the movie is that there was no double meaning/ cheap comments which are mostly used in contemporary comedy movies. Else, there was nothing much in the movie and if one misses the train, is not missing much.

I give it a 2/5.
Old 16th August 2013, 22:12   #2373
BHPian

Watched Rang De Basanti yet again on TV on the Independence day and still feels good. One of the finest movies made in Indian cinema - that too with a message.

Isn't it the magic of Aamir Khan that an ordinary director becomes extraordinary after working with Aamir. Some examples - Aashutosh Gowarikar (Lagaan), John Matthew Mathan (Sarfrosh), Rakeysh Mehra (RDB), Kunal Kohli (Fanaa). Hats off!!
Old 18th August 2013, 13:55   #2374
Distinguished - BHPian

Finally watched Commando. Quite a nice movie. The Guy has worked a lot on his body. Stunts performed were one of the best in our industry and what I loved most was that there was no Dabang like stupid effects where people are flying in the air at the slightest punch or kick.
Rating: 3.5/5. Worth a watch.
Old 18th August 2013, 23:15   #2375
Senior - BHPian

Enough Said

The Hindi Movies Thread-1116118_700381753309019_676572974_o.jpg

courtesy of facebook
Old 24th August 2013, 10:38   #2376
Senior - BHPian

Saw Madras Cafe yesterday. I fail to understand the fuss in Tamil Nadu over this movie. It doesn't take any sides and doesn't potray anyone as good or evil. The movie doesn't try to preach or influence you into taking sides and I really liked that about this movie. It's a semi fictional movie about the Sri Lankan crisis & the assassination of Rajeev Gandhi.

The entire cast has gone a very good job, the direction except in the first 15-20 minutes is gripping and the movie has been shot really well in some very scenic location's in South India. It's a gritty, realistic movie that unlike most spy thriller's doesn't potray the hero or any organistion as some sort of super hero that saves the world.

Very good performances by John, Siddharth Basu & the guy who played Bala. Even the actor who played Prabhakaran looks a lot like him. The heroine's has very little to contribute here.

Don't go nit picking as, like I said, it' s semi fictional movie about the Sri Lankan crisis.

Madras Cafe is a must watch.

I give it a 4/5 rating.

Last edited by amit : 24th August 2013 at 10:40.
Old 24th August 2013, 11:02   #2377
Distinguished - BHPian

Madras Cafe

It's a unique and glaringly different and brave movie by Shoojit Sircar considering his previous movie was a totally different theme. This movie must have required lot of research both for script as well as scouting for locations. It's almost like a war movie that is common in Hollywood and is directly ably by SS

It's about the civil war in Sri Lanka and how it gave birth to the idea and execution of Rajiv Gandhi.

Everyone has done a good job but, the people who stand out is Bala and Prabhakaran. Infact, Bala was fantastic !!!

John was mediocre in this movie and he cannot potray intense roles. He is looking ugly as he is growing older. But, becoming wiser and producing movies with lovely content.

Nargis Fakri was a total miscast, She only speaks in English throughout the movie, Not a single word of hindi. Wonder what difference it makes for a Indian born foreign national speak in Hindi? Looked absurd and ridiculous. Question asked by John in hindi and she replies in English

Most of the starcast is repeat from Vicky Donor and many character actors from the popular sony serial " Crime Patrol" are now coming into movies. Well deserved as Crime Patrol on TV has one of the finest actors potraying their respective characters

Another credit to the movie, not a single song. It's indeed worth a watch if your not a lover of lead running around trees singing songs.

3.5/5
Old 27th August 2013, 08:56   #2378
Senior - BHPian

Saw Chennai Express last Saturday (on wife's insistance). Absolutely "Bokwaas" movie. The common man literally under estimated the movie. SRK hamming, Deepika getting the accent all wrong, too much Tamil with no sub titles. The story loses the plot from the start.

Can someone tell me why was the scene between SRK & the dwarf included in the movie?

They showed Chennai Express 12163 taking the Konkan Railway route baffling even the top brass of the Railways as to where was the train actually headed. They should have titled the movie "Netravathi Express" instead.

All in all waste of money (Kiran aka sa_kiran must be chukling as he had warned me).

Ratings: 2/5
Old 29th August 2013, 16:03   #2379
Distinguished - BHPian

Chennai Express

I will go out on the limb and say that it wasnt a bad movie. I kind of enjoyed the movie atleast till 70% of the length even if it required you to act dumb throughout and forces you to block on the intelligent sensor that keep fighting your brain cells and screaming out in agony

I was busy fighting those cells and parallely enjoying the movie

SRK talks so much in this movie, I felt he must have added dailogue delivery of 2-3 future movies into this one unknowingly. He is good in his usually hamming way. God knows why he is a superstar....

Deepika was lovely, loved her accent, her coy looks and her half saree attire. I never liked her in the past but, in this one, she was cool

Lot of flaws in the movie which is uncommon for RS movies but, some of the scenary was breathtaking.

Dont know why the south movies always need to depict ugly faces, huge bodied men ( one of them was so big, i dont think i saw someone that size in real till now) and SICKLE which is trademark of Telugu movies to depict voilence

Overall, it was a brainless movie with nice scenary...I cannot say i didnt enjoy, i liked it to some extent

P.S: We spent 200 bucks for the ticket on sunday for afternoon show, couldnt go. And, as wifey was hell bent on seeing it, rebooked again for late night show by paying another 350 bucks. Overall, we too contributed 550 bucks to make it a top grosser

2.5/5
Old 29th August 2013, 17:13   #2380
Senior - BHPian

I think people are now watching Chennai Express to see why its a hit and contributing more towards its boxoffice !

It was not a bad movie. Did Sachin score a 99 in 2013? Villages looked too artificial with bright lights etc
Old 29th August 2013, 18:22   #2381
BHPian

I saw CE yesterday.
It should have been named as chennai excess.
Everything from unnecessary characters, story clichés to SRK acting was in excess.
Only saving grace was Deepika ! The way she has acted deserves lot of appreciation. Finally someone else gets a praise for acting in a srk movie.
Old 29th August 2013, 18:29   #2382
BHPian

Anyone here who's heard of or watched a film called Listen...Amaya? Farooque Shaikh, Deepti Naval and Swara Bhaskar? Released on the 1st of February...

Reviews?
Old 29th August 2013, 21:28   #2383
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bIte tHe bulLet View Post
Anyone here who's heard of or watched a film called Listen...Amaya? Farooque Shaikh, Deepti Naval and Swara Bhaskar? Released on the 1st of February...

Reviews?
I did catch it it pieces while wifey was watching it. Looked decent enough. Topic is a bit unusual ...great acting all around! Sorry can't give you a detailed review but I'd say its a good one time watch. It was nice watching them together again after so long.
Old 30th August 2013, 01:43   #2384
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
They showed Chennai Express 12163 taking the Konkan Railway route baffling even the top brass of the Railways as to where was the train actually headed. They should have titled the movie "Netravathi Express" instead.
Dont expect Rohit shetty to choose any other shooting location other than GOA. He is obsessed with Goa. Even in his previous movies, he did the same (with exception of singham which was a total GOA story and awesome direction) and this movie is no different.

What's important is even before chennai express released he disclosed this in most of TV channels like zoom, Channel V, MTV etc. most of the movie was shot in goa with sets of TamilNadu. so when i booked this movie i walked eyes closed since i know rohit shetty is good at it, that is showing GOA beautifully. classic example Dudhsagar falls

I appreciated him though that he showed rameswaram bridge in the movie. Superb cinematogaraphy. Please try and understand Rohit shetty is only good at action, comedy and selecting best cinematographers. This is not a typical RS movie since production house belongs to SRK and i dont blame Rohit at all. if rohit needs to be his own self he needs to stop working with SRK in future for sure.
Old 30th August 2013, 02:18   #2385
Senior - BHPian

Watched Madras Cafe

Great direction, tight screenplay & fast pace storyline. Kudos to the director.

John had absolutely no clue which expression to give when, he had just 2-3 different expressions which he used throughout the movie irrespective of what was required. Probably his worst performance so far.

Luckily for him everything else works for the film.

Overall casting was a mixed bag. Some were casted brilliantly while some were lame.

3.5/5

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks