Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th May 2015, 14:02   #2791
Team-BHP Support

Re: The Hindi Movies Thread

Tanu Weds Manu Returns

Rating - 4/5

This is a typical bollywood entertainer. The logic is flawed at places, the end a little predictable but everything else is pretty much perfect. Characterisation, direction, music, acting, humor, editing, direction etc is absoutely fantastic.

Kangna Ranawat rocks (moreso as Datto), and so does everyone else right from Pappi to Chintu to Kangna's on screen brother.

Its a must watch family movie.

PS: Almost all characters are carried forward from the first part, so ensure that you've seen TWM before you go for this sequel.

Last edited by Eddy : 25th May 2015 at 14:47.
Old 25th May 2015, 14:36   #2792
Senior - BHPian

Tanu Wed manu Returns: 4/5

TWMR is a very good movie, with lots of funny moments, fantastic one liners and all actors putting life into their characters. Kangana Ranaut is just brilliant, especially the Haryanvi girl Dattu with short hair. The other star of the movie is "Pappi", Deepak Dobriyal. He constantly keeps us laughing with his quirks. Music is almost in the background, except the "swagger" song. Go watch the movie. The movie loses few points because of the predictable ending and some unnecessary time wasted in the 2nd half.
Old 25th May 2015, 14:50   #2793
Team-BHP Support

Tanu Weds Manu Returns - 4/5

Except for some parts in the second half which felt a bit dragged, this was truly entertaining. To sum up in two words - laughter riot!

Kangana acted really well, especially the other role with the Haryanvi accent. Pappi’s one liners and the responses were hilarious! Good music as well. A Saturday night well spent IMO.
Old 25th May 2015, 15:08   #2794
BHPian

Tanu Weds Manu Returns - 3.5/5

It is a out and out entertainer. I like Hindi movies which is shot in India with Indian landscapes and backgrounds. Typical bollywood movies shot in foreign locales and stories based on NRIs is very irritating. That said, "Queen" is an exception as the story is different.

Highs :
- Kangana Ranaut and Kangana Ranaut
- Amazing and mature acting by almost all characters esp. Pappi ji.
- Crisp editing keeps you engaged to the story. Not one bit boring.

Lows :
- Music could have been better.
- In the 2nd half; scenes like Kangana drinking and loitering on the roads of a Haryana town (even bumping into a drunkard) seemed little too far fetched than reality.
- Jimmy Shergill seemed wasted in his role. He just had to deliver a few dialogues and didn't seem to matter in the story line.
Old 28th May 2015, 09:00   #2795
BHPian

I actually did not like Tanu Weds Manu Returns, except for the dialogues and acting in the first half.
Anand Rai likes impulsive characters as was seen in Ranjhanaa too. But the writing is not par for it or the characters seem misfit with the overall lovey dovey nature of the script.
He begins well but tends to lose the plot with morally loaded dialogues.

2 scenes of Kangana, one of dance in the baarat and change of emotions and the haircut/wig bit was nice though. Good work as director and actor.
Old 28th May 2015, 10:09   #2796
Senior - BHPian

Really sad that there are hardly 1-3 Hindi movies per year that one can pay to visit in a theatre. All we get is nonsense, sycophancy, and total garbage.

We have a very old industry and even then there are more movies coming out of small nations that are actually worth seeing than the Hindi language garbage. That way, our industry is regressing seriously in quality.

If you prefer Hollywood, even an average Hollywood movie has better production quality and tightness. Even the better TV serials are much better than our movies.

One thing that sickens me is this anti smoking fraud that is perpetrated in our movies. Show a person dying of smoking at the beginning of the movie. That is fair enough. But what is outrageous is smoking throughout the movie with a small disclaimer at the bottom. Case in point: NH10. Anushska smokes a lot in the movie but I was hard pressed to find a health warning on the cigarette pack (see the SUV scene). Even more disgusting is that before whacking the villain, she lights up as if cigarettes are a stress buster. I can bet some amount that some cigarette company paid for the generic product (ie, cigarettes) plug.
Old 1st June 2015, 11:55   #2797
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Watched Piku last night.

Nice movie, most parts of it are light-hearted fun.

But I certainly didn't find the flick as good as how everyone else raves about it. Amitabh's performance is A+ as always. Deepika is good, but if she left an impression on you, go watch Tanu weds Manu. In acting calibre, Kangana blows Deepika out of the water.

Will give Piku a 3.5 / 5. Good, but not excellent.
Old 8th June 2015, 16:58   #2798
Team-BHP Support

Any reviews on Dil Dhadakne Do ?
Old 8th June 2015, 17:10   #2799
BHPian

About Dil Dharakne Do....
This is not my review, these are words my wife has dictated to me.
Nice star cast, Ranbeer Singh was really good, great sense of humour, good storyline, a fresh look at contemporary family dynamics.

Wife's Rating -- 4/5. Better than Piku.
Old 15th June 2015, 18:38   #2800
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy;
Any reviews on Dil Dhadakne Do ?
Not the best from Zoya , so many characters ( but she did not let them develop) its survived due to some witty one liners otherwise story is not so good.

Farhan and Anuska are in guest appearance ( very short role)

3/5 one time watch at best.

I went in with great expectation due to ZNMD but was
Old 17th June 2015, 03:20   #2801
Senior - BHPian

Seriously, 4/5 rating for Tanu Weds Manu Returns? That movie doesn't deserve anything more than 3. I would give it 2.5-3 out of 5 and that's because of the first half which had some nice funny moments. Second half was just too predictable and got boring towards the end. Just another over-hyped movie.
Old 17th June 2015, 09:28   #2802
BHPian

Tanu weds Manu returns - 2.5 /5.

2 for Kangana Ranaut's acting and 0.5 for the first half of the movie
Old 17th June 2015, 09:41   #2803
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaushik_s View Post
Seriously, 4/5 rating for Tanu Weds Manu Returns? That movie doesn't deserve anything more than 3. I would give it 2.5-3 out of 5 and that's because of the first half which had some nice funny moments. Second half was just too predictable and got boring towards the end. Just another over-hyped movie.
Kaushik,

People have liked the movie a lot because its a refreshing break from the nonsensical crap that is being thrown at us over last 3-4 years. There have been very very few exceptions. So whenever there is an exception, the movie is going to get a good rating, which is very natural IMO. Just because someone thinks TWMR is 4/5, does not make it a masterpiece of a movie. Its people's rating based on their likes. It is not some official ARAI Fuel efficiency bench mark.

Just out of curiosity, which according to you is a movie which deserves 4/5 rating?
Old 20th June 2015, 16:22   #2804
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajay_satpute View Post
Kaushik,

People have liked the movie a lot because its a refreshing break from the nonsensical crap that is being thrown at us over last 3-4 years. There have been very very few exceptions. So whenever there is an exception, the movie is going to get a good rating, which is very natural IMO. Just because someone thinks TWMR is 4/5, does not make it a masterpiece of a movie. Its people's rating based on their likes. It is not some official ARAI Fuel efficiency bench mark.

Just out of curiosity, which according to you is a movie which deserves 4/5 rating?
LOL Ajay, please don't take it too seriously . I can understand that these are just personal preferences when it comes to movies and sorry if I've hurt your feelings.

But anyway, I hope you didn't mean to say that TWMR is the best movie in last 3-4 years. It's far from anywhere from being the best in 3-4 years. Rating 4/5 movies to me also keep on changing as time goes by. Also 4 out 5 would mean that a movie would be really awesome and would still feel the same on a re-watch after years. I have liked movies like RDB, ZNMD, DCH etc when they came out. But will they be in my 4/5 rating now? Not very sure about it.
But anyway, during 2014 I liked few movies like Ugly, Highway, Dedh Isqiya, Citylights etc. They may not be 4/5 movies or even considered good movies by many, but in my opinion they are better than TWMR. In fact I would still put Tanu Weds Manu as better than TWMR.
Old 20th June 2015, 22:02   #2805
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaushik_s View Post
LOL Ajay, please don't take it too seriously . I can understand that these are just personal preferences when it comes to movies and sorry if I've hurt your feelings.
Double LOL !!! :-D

Feelings is the last emotion when it comes to movie reviews/opinions. Absolutely no need to apologise.

Infact no one should take any movie reviews seriously. You never know who will like which movie. Some really s****y movies have made 100 crores plus. Some nonsense dances have won Best Choreography Awards and so on and so forth.

BTW, i am looking forward to ABCD2. Dances look really promising. And thumbrule is that dance movies dont have stories. ;-)

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks