Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears

Old 26th November 2018, 17:58   #481
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dry Ice View Post
If I have the max liability equivalent already with me, I don't need to go through the hoops to get the claims addressed etc. I have also heard of rampant bill inflation as soon as one mentions insurance on the hospital bill desk. So is it really worth the trouble? Why not simply save and pay out of your pocket?
I have done the same thing for my father's health insurance. I did not buy it this year as the premium was too high. Instead, I have made provisions so that I will have the coverage amount whenever any medical emergency arises.
Ketan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th December 2018, 14:05   #482
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Health insurance queries? Ask me!

Its that time of the year when I renew my Health Insurance and this year again got a shocker in the name of Insurance premium. Max Bupa hiked the premium this year again by 1.5k in the name of medical inflation. They had hike the premium last year by 9k in the name of product enhancement and medical inflation.
Any bought Max Bupa health Insurance? Medical inflation is the new black hole.
ghodlur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th February 2019, 13:48   #483
BHPian

Query for the experts. I am 44 yrs,spouse 38 yrs, 1st child 4.5 years, 2nd child 4 months old. I have an group insurance from a bank for 5 lakhs which includes my 66 year old father and 59 year old mother. Premium was about 13k and increased to 18k from this year. I have had 3 claims in past 6 years of this policy and all were honoured without much hassle. Hence planning to continue the policy as it would be expensive to insure my parents.

Now I have a second insurance for me,spouse and first child for 5 lakhs from Apollo-Munich since 3 years with restore option and the premium is about 15k expected to increase to 19k next year(as per brochure).

Now planning to enhance the coverage and include the child. I have 3 options/offers before me.

1.To take the same group insurance one more policy excluding my parents. Premium amounts to 11k.

2.Continue Apollo Munich with premium increase of 2k for the younger child and 21k premium from next year.

3.MaxBupa through one of the PSU bank is offering 10 Lakhs with restore option for 22k for first 2 years and 35k for next 10 years and 52k for the subsequent 10 years(the children would get excluded midway in this period). MaxBupa is offering 20 Lakhs with restore option for 25k for first 2 years, 41k for next 10 years and 60k for the subsequent 10 years(the children would get excluded midway in this period)

Somewhat confused with these options. The existing policies has room rent limit of 5k/day, which is just enough for now, as many bigger hospitals single room rent is between 4.5 to 6 k.

Can some experts thrash out the options and bring some clarity?
aadya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th March 2019, 15:59   #484
Senior - BHPian

Does anyone here have Cancer Insurance? Can it be purchased by itself or is it only available as an add-on to other health insurance?
I was looking at Cancer cover provider by HDFC Life & their brochure says that Congenital Cancer is not covered. Now how exactly do we know whether it's congenital or not?
Anyone have any advice about cancer policies?
carboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th March 2019, 16:15   #485
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy View Post
...cancer policies?
LIC has Cancer Cover available. Give it a look.
Chetan_Rao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th June 2019, 16:50   #486
Distinguished - BHPian

Dear Team,

I plan to port from my current insurer. Can anyone confirm if my accrued NCB is also ported or I lose it? Also, is there anything else that I lose when porting from one insurer to other?

Thanks in anticipation of advice.

Regards,
Saket
saket77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th June 2019, 19:56   #487
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saket77 View Post
I plan to port from my current insurer. Can anyone confirm if my accrued NCB is also ported or I lose it? Also, is there anything else that I lose when porting from one insurer to other?
The NCB will also be ported. In other words the amount accrued with the NCB will be eligible for claims without the Insurer's clause of pre existing diseases.
Old 24th June 2019, 20:53   #488
Distinguished - BHPian

Thanks for the heads up!

My current base policy is of 5.5lacs. There is 1.1 lac NCB accrued in the same. The policy I’m opting now is for Rs. 5 Lacs. They say my NCB will be carried only if I choose a sum assured higher than my current policy. Is this correct?
saket77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th June 2019, 07:50   #489
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saket77 View Post
Thanks for the heads up!

My current base policy is of 5.5lacs. There is 1.1 lac NCB accrued in the same. The policy I’m opting now is for Rs. 5 Lacs. They say my NCB will be carried only if I choose a sum assured higher than my current policy. Is this correct?
That's correct in a way. Your total medical coverage presently is 6.6L. When you port and want to use the NCB, it will be required to buy an Insurance cover of atleast 6.6L so that your medical coverage will start at the that amount from the day 1 and will not need any waiting period which is the case for pre existing diseases or some illness which are not covered from day 1.

I would suggest to buy an cover for min 6L. Please note that it is advisable to keep increasing the health insurance with every passing year however fit you may feel you are.
Old 25th June 2019, 11:14   #490
Distinguished - BHPian

How is star health? Any of you have availed its service?

My friend has availed his health insurance from Apollo which will cover his family till 80 years of age with premium being paid till 60 years. Premium is high for approx 50K per annum. Can't afford this high as of now.
Sheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st August 2019, 09:05   #491
Senior - BHPian

I am told portability of Health Insurance beyond 55 years of age is not permitted. Is that correct?
Gansan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd September 2019, 09:23   #492
Senior - BHPian

Need advice as both my parents are only covered with health insurance of 5 Lakh. Dad (66) never considered them very useful, but now I want both my parents to be covered for ~20L, atleast.

Present policies :

2L from United India Insurance,

3L from Universal Sompo General Insurance and

5L for some wellness coverage which she was tricked into buying (I wouldn't regard as relevant).

I was given 2 quotes by HDFC for 2 levels of top-up, but I want to buy insurance that covers more than the basic limits that their present policy. My mom will turn 60 in Mid-September and I would like to buy before that.
GrammarNazi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th November 2019, 12:54   #493
BHPian

Hi All,

I have a floater health policy for my spouse, our daughter and I from Star (Star Comprehensive) for a SI of 5L since 2016 for which I have been paying a premium of Rs 14k + tax.

Its up for renewal this month and I find that the premium has been hiked to 23k + tax! Upon enquiry was told that the age of the oldest member in the policy is considered in their 'age slab' to determine the premium. My spouse is turning 46 next year and the premium escalation is as per the 46-50 slab. Of course they refused to share any further breakup. For reference, no claims made in the last 2 years. They do not have a NCB feature unlike what we get in vehicle insurance.

This is almost a 70% escalation and I am forced to look for other options. Any input from members? I understand all the jazz about age slab/medical escalation etc but 70%?
hothatchaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th November 2019, 13:05   #494
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hothatchaway View Post
This is almost a 70% escalation and I am forced to look for other options. Any input from members? I understand all the jazz about age slab/medical escalation etc but 70%?
45 is generally considered a big line to cross in health insurance. Statistics show that the probability of getting chronic diseases is much higher after 45. Many health insurance companies let you buy insurance without a medical test before 45 but very few them allow it after 45 (Star does allow it, I think, but many others don't).
But always better to compare with other vendors.
carboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th November 2019, 17:15   #495
BHPian

I have a policy with religare health for past 5 years and no claims have been made. My concern is if i should continue with them or port out due to the recent controversy around singh brothers.

If its advisable to port out which one is best in the lot at the moment interms of claim settlement and ease of claim.
.sushilkumar is offline   Reply With Quote