Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 4th June 2020, 15:39   #556
BHPian

Re: Health insurance queries? Ask me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohit_Quad View Post
So is it worth investing in a separate policy, when i have my wife's company policy?
Depends on the circumstances.
If it is stable employment, and if the cover is adequate?;
will it continue for post retirement?

since it becomes more difficult to get insurance cover as we grow older, or as pre-existing illnesses develop (diabetes, BP, etc). Also insurance policies have waiting periods (multi years) for pre existing conditions, and certain specified treatments

so to deal with the above, some folks get independent insurance coverage while they are still comparitively young and healthy in the hope that the insurance will be available when they need it most. You can choose your own approach based on your needs keeping the above in mind.
grazd is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th June 2020, 00:44   #557
BHPian

Hello everyone.

Bought health insurance today due to Covid scare. I paid ₹5066/- for 3 lac one person cover. I wanted to buy Arogya Sanjivani, but insurance offices are less interested to sell it. Paid & was out in half hour, only thing inquired - is Covid covered.Stay in proximity to an Medical College.
5k is lowest among all & comparable to online SBI Arogya Sanjivani quote. Avoided private sector for the if & buts. One small claim can easily cover this investment, but I plan to build my insurance history.

Provider : New India Assurance /MED SAVE HEALTH INSURANCE TPA PVT. LIMITED

Any advice will be appreciated.
Old 25th June 2020, 06:17   #558
BHPian

Re: HDFC Ergo?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ontheway View Post
I am also in the same boat. Never liked HDFC, and avoid using it for insurance or banking needs. As per my uderstanding and some search on policybazaar, Apollo Munich has been renamed 'HDFC Ergo Health' and HDFC Ergo's existing business still goes as just HDFC Ergo. Claim settlement ratio is given as 92% for HDFC Ergo Health and 97% for HDFC Ergo (Source: Policybazaar).
Did you renew your health insurance with 'HDFC Ergo'? My policy is due for renewal in couple of weeks. I am in a dilemma whether to renew the policy with 'HDFC Ergo' OR move to some other provider.

Does any here have first hand experience of claims process with 'HDFC Ergo'? Please advise!
Old 25th June 2020, 10:59   #559
BHPian

Re: HDFC Ergo?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMaruru View Post
Did you renew your health insurance with 'HDFC Ergo'? My policy is due for renewal in couple of weeks.
Nopes. No personal experience with HDFC Ergo. Had bad experience in one of its bank branches, and decided not to do business with it ever again if I had a choice.

You can take a look at their claims settlement ratio, compare it with others in the business and then decide.
Old 25th June 2020, 12:12   #560
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMaruru View Post
Does any here have first hand experience of claims process with 'HDFC Ergo'?
Switching health insurance in the given scenario is best avoided. If i were you, i would continue for another year atleast just in case of hidden small text terms of diseases predisclosure etc with any new company. I had closed all my dealings with hdfc in the year 2000 when i had a bad experience at one of their branches with a lady employee who was treating her clerical staff very poorly. She was also delaying my request to preclose my DDs and attending to customers who came in after me. I had to create a scene to get my job done. I do have a home loan now with them for the past 4 years but that incident in 2000 has remained with me.
Old 4th July 2020, 20:02   #561
Senior - BHPian

I will be buying Health Insurance for the first time in my life, so need some advice.
I'm self employed, aged 42, and want to buy one for wife (36), son (8) and myself. Had shortlisted Star Health Comprehensive as it covered Maternity, Dental and Ophthalmic. But I have been asked by friends to reconsider.

My requirements are:
- 10 lakhs cover (is that enough?)
- Cashless at Kasturba Hospital, Manipal
- Maternity benefits would be good to have

So, which policy is recommend in terms of ease of claim, other benefits, etc. ?
FYI, none of us have any pre-existing conditions.

Also want to buy one for my mother (aged 70).

Last edited by samaspire : 4th July 2020 at 20:02. Reason: typo
Old 5th July 2020, 00:53   #562
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by samaspire View Post
- 10 lakhs cover (is that enough?)
Please take a higher amount, go as high as your budget permits.
I have medical through my company with additional topup paid by me for about 30L for a family of 5 (mom is 72). I have also taken additional insurance for my wife and two kids personally for 25L. This is to protect them post my demise to ensure insurance continuity. The personal one is from Apollo Munich (Now HDFC Ergo).
Old 8th July 2020, 09:08   #563
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

So, which policy is recommend in terms of ease of claim, other benefits, etc. ?
FYI, none of us have any pre-existing conditions.

Also want to buy one for my mother (aged 70).
Quote:
Originally Posted by diyguy View Post
Please take a higher amount, go as high as your budget permits.
I finally bought the Aditya Birla 1cr. Health Policy from Policybazaar.com for Rs.23,500 (2 Adult + 1 Child). It's a combination of 2 policies - 5 lakhs + 95 lakhs super top-up.
Old 8th July 2020, 09:26   #564
BHPian

Quote:
I finally bought the Aditya Birla 1cr. Health Policy from Policybazaar.com for Rs.23,500 (2 Adult + 1 Child). It's a combination of 2 policies - 5 lakhs + 95 lakhs super top-up.
Seems to be a mouthwatering proposition, insurers like star will quote close to what you have paid for just a 5 lakh cover.

Are there any specific terms and conditions for the 95 l top up amount?
hothatchaway is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 8th July 2020, 09:35   #565
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hothatchaway View Post
Seems to be a mouthwatering proposition, insurers like star will quote close to what you have paid for just a 5 lakh cover.

Are there any specific terms and conditions for the 95 l top up amount?
Actually my final shortlist included Star Comprehensive 10 lakh policy for 25,000. The advantages of Star over this is that it offers Maternity, Dental and Optical cover after 2 years. But when specifically asked about PPE cover, I was informed that Star would not cover it, while Aditya would. That sealed the deal for me.

This Aditya Birla policy is exclusive to Policybazaar and it's sold as one package. It's 15,000 for the primary 5 lakh policy + 8000 for the super top up.
samaspire is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th July 2020, 14:12   #566
BHPian

I am looking for a health insurance policy for my parents aged 56 and 51. Both of them have mild hypertension without any other problem. What would be the best company for health insurance? I am looking for 10 lac sum insured.
Old 12th July 2020, 17:31   #567
Distinguished - BHPian

I am also looking for a personal health cover for me and family, after a lot of deliberations I have zeroed on Bajaj Allianz and Max Bupa. Premium is around 31 for Mac Bupa and around 36 for Bajaj Allianz for a 50 lac cover.

Can any one who might have used the services please advise of how was the experience.
Old 12th July 2020, 18:15   #568
Senior - BHPian

Is there any option like zero depreciation in health insurance ?
Old 12th July 2020, 18:45   #569
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by black12rr View Post
Is there any option like zero depreciation in health insurance ?
Many insurers will bump up your coverage amount for every claim free year, so if your initial sum assured is 5 lakh and you don't claim anything, your coverage for the next year could be 10 lakhs. You make a claim and you are back to 5 the following year.

Your premium is determined basis your age, insurers do this in blocks of 5. So if you are paying a premium of 15k at the age of 45, you can expect to pay 25k when you hit 46, as you then enter the 46-50 slab and make the insurer nervous about your advancing age.

Thankfully the insurers still do not see us as material assets which depreciate, but please don't give them ideas.
Old 12th July 2020, 19:18   #570
Senior - BHPian

I think I didn't explain properly , when there is a bill , customer have to pay consumables , it can be 10 % , 20% or any amount of bill , any insurance that even pays these.

Most Viewed