Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th June 2009, 13:39   #76
Senior - BHPian

After brain storming for last the 4-5 days, I have came to following conclusions.

a) Reliance is cheapest in market, provides best facilities still people don't have faith on it. Currently on Reliance, major diseases will in-coverage from next year onwards.
b) CholaMandlam seems to be nice to me, but somehow hospitals covered aren't that much i.e covers only 1400 hospitals in contrary to 2400-3000 Hospitals covered by competition companies
c) Bajaj-Allianz want's us to pay for every facility we want - like they do not include daily cash and major critical diseases in their basic policy, they want customer to purchase it as another policy.
d) Apollo-DKV offers same features as cholamandlam but is relatively new in business, so are less reliable. It is costly as well, for 3 lakh cover premium comes around 8.5K. Lifelong renewable.

At last I am strucked between Reliance and Apollo !! Any pointers…

Last edited by ashthedivx : 17th June 2009 at 13:40.
Old 17th June 2009, 14:15   #77
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashthedivx View Post
After brain storming for last the 4-5 days, I have came to following conclusions.

a) Reliance is cheapest in market, provides best facilities still people don't have faith on it. Currently on Reliance, major diseases will in-coverage from next year onwards.
b) CholaMandlam seems to be nice to me, but somehow hospitals covered aren't that much i.e covers only 1400 hospitals in contrary to 2400-3000 Hospitals covered by competition companies
c) Bajaj-Allianz want's us to pay for every facility we want - like they do not include daily cash and major critical diseases in their basic policy, they want customer to purchase it as another policy.
d) Apollo-DKV offers same features as cholamandlam but is relatively new in business, so are less reliable. It is costly as well, for 3 lakh cover premium comes around 8.5K. Lifelong renewable.

I have decided to go for Reliance Healthwise policy for my parents. 5 L floater cover, INR 6,800 premium. Thinking of supplementing that with a 2/3 L floater cover from the nationalized ones (which will cost Around INR 10k/annum)

Any thoughts on Star Health? They claim to be a niche medical insurance company with no 3rd party TPA (i.e. all in house). They offer a number of policy options and premium pricing is quite competitive too)

Last edited by nishantgandhi : 17th June 2009 at 14:17.
Old 17th June 2009, 16:07   #78
BHPian

Quote:
Count me in too

Any pointers for Star Health? How reliable and effective they are?
Old 18th June 2009, 11:29   #79
Senior - BHPian

Does anyone has the mediclaim from IFFCO-TOKIO???
It seems to be a good policy and as someone has said covers maternity costs
Old 18th June 2009, 13:41   #80
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harjeev View Post
Does anyone has the mediclaim from IFFCO-TOKIO???
It seems to be a good policy and as someone has said covers maternity costs
Upon my survey, they seems to be costliest. For Maternity coverage, lookout for Royal Sundram they also provide the same facility at lower cost. In case you aren't planning a baby recently then you can also look out for Apollo DKV as well, but they give the such coverage after 4 year waiting period only. I found them comparable to reliance as well.
Old 18th June 2009, 13:43   #81
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nishantgandhi View Post
Any thoughts on Star Health? They claim to be a niche medical insurance company with no 3rd party TPA (i.e. all in house). They offer a number of policy options and premium pricing is quite competitive too)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rudrah View Post
Count me in too

Any pointers for Star Health? How reliable and effective they are?
Haven't heard about Star that much, I suppose they are pretty popular down to south. But here in Delhi, people are like "It is a Star TV Subsidiary Company ??"
Old 18th June 2009, 14:51   #82
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjvora_2000 View Post
Now I have to tell you the most unfortunate part of health insurance, for above age 45 (Yes 45), getting new policy!!!

Very very difficult task.
In chola entry is till 55 and if they are covered as dependent parents then up to 65 you can cover them.
Yesterday I spoke with Reliance customer care for Health insurance, he says as per regulatory board, the family floater consists of self + dependents like spouse and kids. When asked what about parents, says we need to take a separate ones??

Is this true for all Health Insurance companies or Reliance bluffing me!

Pregnancy is not covered in Individual policy (Surprised or is it globally?)

They say they used to have 2-3 TPAs but now maintained 1 TPA only to avoid conflicts and better service, a company called as 'Medi Assist'

Please advise..
Old 19th June 2009, 10:40   #83
BHPian

Which one, Mediclaim or Health Insurance?

I'm in a dilema whether to opt for Mediclaim or Health Insurance.

My friend who used to work for Life Insurance says Mediclaim is better than Health insurance as its a waste of money!

Please advise which one is better to opt for? Also please suggest which company we can check out.
Friend suggested: Royal Sundaram and Birla

Background: Married with 1 year old daughter with Parents (59 and 61)
Old 19th June 2009, 10:58   #84
BHPian

It is better to take health insurance oneself, regardless of whether one is covered by company or not. Regarding the company of choice, one option is star health insurance <http://www.starhealth.in>.
Old 19th June 2009, 11:14   #85
Senior - BHPian

Its better to take personal health insurance even if company provides it. I have taken personal Mediclaim health insurance for my family other than the health insurance provided by the company.

Advantages:

I use company insurance for making the claims. I get deduction on premium of personal health insurance every year as I do not use it.

Most Important - As the age of family members goes up, it is difficult to get insurance for the individual and the overall premium would be high- so earlier the better. It was difficult to get my mother added to the personal health insurance for family.

I get direct deduction from income tax for the health insurance premium every year.

If I leave my job at any point in time, I would have personal health insurance to use.
Old 19th June 2009, 11:27   #86
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rudrah View Post
Yesterday I spoke with Reliance customer care for Health insurance, he says as per regulatory board, the family floater consists of self + dependents like spouse and kids. When asked what about parents, says we need to take a separate ones??

Is this true for all Health Insurance companies or Reliance bluffing me!

Pregnancy is not covered in Individual policy (Surprised or is it globally?)

They say they used to have 2-3 TPAs but now maintained 1 TPA only to avoid conflicts and better service, a company called as 'Medi Assist'

Please advise..

I believe he ain't bluffing you as even according to Indian Law after getting married you will be entertained as an different identity solely whether it is Financially or Lawfully. You need to pick up different policy for parents.

If you planning something in immediate year I would suggest to go for Royal Sundram one, as they have a clause they will entertain the claim only if baby is born after 10 months of policy inseption date. So better is plan to your way.
Old 19th June 2009, 12:56   #87
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sreenidhibr View Post
It is better to take health insurance oneself, regardless of whether one is covered by company or not. Regarding the company of choice, one option is star health insurance <http://www.starhealth.in>.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatienceWins View Post
Its better to take personal health insurance even if company provides it. I have taken personal Mediclaim health insurance for my family other than the health insurance provided by the company.

Advantages:

I use company insurance for making the claims. I get deduction on premium of personal health insurance every year as I do not use it.

Most Important - As the age of family members goes up, it is difficult to get insurance for the individual and the overall premium would be high- so earlier the better. It was difficult to get my mother added to the personal health insurance for family.

I get direct deduction from income tax for the health insurance premium every year.

If I leave my job at any point in time, I would have personal health insurance to use.
Thanks Sree and Patience!

I do not have Mediclaim from my company. Hence i was looking out for Health Insurance. But as said my friend advises me to buy a Mediclaim instead of Health Insurance.

Note. I'm very much new to Health insurance and all.

When I spoke with Reliance Health Insurance support, they said for Parents i've to take a separate policy as under Family floater, only me, spouse and kids will be covered! Thats the rule. I'm not sure if this is true!

I don't know how Mediclaim is different than Health Insurance and effective too.
Old 19th June 2009, 13:01   #88
BHPian

Quote:
I believe he ain't bluffing you as even according to Indian Law after getting married you will be entertained as an different identity solely whether it is Financially or Lawfully. You need to pick up different policy for parents.

If you planning something in immediate year I would suggest to go for Royal Sundram one, as they have a clause they will entertain the claim only if baby is born after 10 months of policy inseption date. So better is plan to your way.
Frankly my friend clearly told me to avoid Reliance products because of claim issues though their preimums are cheap. Says the inside people don't even know the in and outs of the policy and rules and might face problem if i'm stuck with claims.

He suggested me Royal Sundaram but also told me to go for Mediclaim than a Health Insurance as its a waste of money.

What is the difference and advantage and disadvantage between the both?
Old 21st June 2009, 23:13   #89
BHPian

As the thread starter, i forgot to update this thread . Anyways, my parents (who are 59 and 56) bought the policy from reliance...their plan is like this:
- Premium is arnd. 13k per annum
- 3 Lakh cover individually to each one per annum
- At present, it doesn't cover surgical expenses but after 4 yrs. it would...
- Premium would decrease by 10% every year for no claims..
- They were asked to submit few medical tests like the ECG, blood sugar, etc before getting the policy

The rest of the detail i don't much as most of the research was done by my father...

And yes, reliance does have the maximum no hospitals in their network...
Apollo DKV is expensive and no. of hospitals is really less...few months back even the Apollo hospital, New Delhi wasn't covered...if you wanted treatment at Apollo, you have to goto Noida ...donno if its changed now..
Old 22nd June 2009, 09:47   #90
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haste View Post
Apollo DKV is expensive and no. of hospitals is really less...few months back even the Apollo hospital, New Delhi wasn't covered...if you wanted treatment at Apollo, you have to goto Noida ...donno if its changed now..

I suppose you inquired about Apollo hospitals coverage at very basic stage of company's inception. Right it is giving a cashless cover in around 4000 Hospital across India.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks