Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 4th April 2009, 13:43   #31
BHPian

Kalpesh, I am just back from Baroda and the heat is hellish. One observation though, the place I was staying is a ground floor room and then there is terrace above. All our relatives sleep on the Gaddas put up on terrace. They remain there the whole day too thus not letting the room below not heat as much. Though the other room which was not insulated with gaddas was boiling hot.

so you might want to try this option too. Everyone in Gujarat has Godlis as we call it. So just spread it out on the terrace. will bring down the temparature by 6 to 7 degrees atleast.

All the best. phew.

Mansi
Old 4th April 2009, 13:48   #32
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalpeshc View Post
Bowing just won't cut it. We need another blog ...soon. This is not for fun sake - it's for information and knowledge as Navpreet put it
lol OT: I'm going back to Europe in 2 weeks. I'll write about that OK?

My poor father is in Bikaner right now, travelling. He must be boiling right?
Old 4th April 2009, 17:18   #33
BHPian

A Civil engineer's opinion

Given that your kid is 5 months old, I am going to get a little paranoid and suggest the whole nine yards and one for spare...upto you to mix, match and scrap.

1. For top end:
The radiation that hits your roof accounts for about 80% of the heat inside the room. This has to be tackled in a 2 layered theory. People have already suggested the layers, but separately. Hay on the roof slab, and asbestos sheets, like a false top slab, supported on parapet walls. Since you have family there, it shouldn't be extremely difficult to arrange for some asbestos-on-hire. The hay on the slab just makes sure the entrapped air between the asbestos and the roof doesnt heat up the slab.

2. For the windows:
Even when you have tackled the roof, Kutch wind will give you trouble. I suggest khus with white cloth on the outside which you can sprinkle with water periodically during the hottest hours of the day. make sure that under no circumstance is your kid exposed to the hot air draughts. And try keeping him on plenty of fluids at all times. You can also try heavy drapes.

With the two working together, I am sure you would have a 29-30 degrees situation inside the room. Thats manageable.

A no-no for two things: Do not keep a desert cooler on for extended periods of time with a kid around. The constant moisture spray is not what his lungs are ready for. Also, thermocole heated up is carcinogenic. So stay away from those ideas.

Having said all that, I am about to embark on a 1500 km ride on my Enfield from Hyderabad to Kolkata tomorrow morning. Some of the hottest parts of the country. Lets see how I manage to beat the heat
Old 5th April 2009, 17:48   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Having said all that, I am about to embark on a 1500 km ride on my Enfield from Hyderabad to Kolkata tomorrow morning. Some of the hottest parts of the country. Lets see how I manage to beat the heat
A dude who can do that is already a super cool guy. All the best for your trip and thanks for the detailed suggestions.
Old 5th April 2009, 18:22   #35
BHPian

kalpeshc:
Hi,
Have you sorted out the problem? I happened to live in an outback somewhere close to Haryana-Rajasthan border. I am actually from down south. The place I lived becomes extremely hot as your hometown. What I saw people, the locals, do was that they build their homes with thick walls. However, the new homes are plain concrete with flat roof. But they spread hay on top of the house.

I found coolers most effective in dry heat. You need to have good ventilation while running the cooler. Ideally it would be the cooler installed in one window and another window kept open which ensures proper circulation with no moisture condensation in the room.

In your home probably you can buy some lenght of shade net (the woven net that is used in the garden, comes in various colours such as green, most common, to black. It is also available with various sunlight-blocking capability like 50% to 90% or so.) and fix it on top of your roof. Use four poles to rig it and buy some lenght of stay-wire (available in hardware stores) and tie it up in criss-cross manner. Spread the net on top and secure it with some more stay-wire on top of it. It will easily withstand wind. The whole contraption will be easy on your pocket and it will be long lasting too. I use this in my Hyderabd home now. Found to be very effective.

I humid places ac is the best choice. Coolers can only add to the woe.
Old 6th April 2009, 01:12   #36
BANNED

For Dry heat i think its best to opt for the Cooler.Evenings you can try spraying water at the top.that would cool things.You can also try some heat reflecting paints.i dont think cool cement would help reflect the sun.heat reflecting ceramic powder is good option!!

Hey i forgot to add.The best option would be to use some ceramic paint additive at you mix in with ordinary house paint to insulate and reflect heat.Try this!!
Old 6th April 2009, 11:19   #37
BHPian

Update.

I am still in Mumbai but have already requested my brother (who stays at our Surat home) to get a particular 'chemical/paint/solution' applied which apparently is quite popular in Surat. This solution (for want of a better word) actually is supposed to be extremely effective to reduce the heat - it is more like a paint than cement.

Basically, one of my maternal uncles had been to some Swaminarayan temple in Gujarat (don't remember the place though), where they had beautiful gardens and a marble walkway leading towards the temple. The marble walkway used to heat up a lot in the afternoons and since you were not able to wear any footwear inside the premises, it is quite impossible to walk on that hot walkway in the afternoons. It seems that that wide walkway has a white mini walkway incorporated in the center which is this particular solution applied on top of the marble. That path is actually quite cool and you can easily walk barefoot even at noon on that solution applied patch!

Will try and get more details on the name of the solution/paint/chemical..
Old 16th April 2009, 14:08   #38
BHPian

@kalpesh, Were you able to get more details on the product!
Old 16th April 2009, 22:11   #39
BHPian

Sorry for the delay in the update.

It was actually an anticlimax. The product is just a simple variant of 'chuna' which is called 'Thanda Ghar' in the shops around here. Unfortunately, I did not see the packet so cannot confirm whether that is the brand name or just a slang used for this product. But it is extremely white and reflect sun rays off the roof. It does not actively cool your room below the roof but it does prevent it from heating up abnormally.
So I feel both my ground floor and first floor rooms having similar temps. In the past the first floor rooms were like a furnace in the summers. The 'chuna' costs around 60 rupees per packet and covers around 22*10 area. You just have to wash your roof and apply it using a brush or a hard plastic broom (more quicker and effective). Extremely cheap for the value it provides.
Old 17th April 2009, 04:06   #40
BHPian

someone on this forum has an excellent 3 star hotel in VApi. a/c with genset. nice food and very nice hospitality.

Vapi - Surat = andheri Churchgate. not bad.

Cheers
Old 17th April 2009, 07:50   #41
BHPian

Thanks for the info Kalpesh.
If the product prevent heat building-up, its definitely a vfm. Hows the Kid doing amidst the weather!
Old 16th March 2019, 22:32   #42
Senior - BHPian

Re: Beat the heat - suggestions required

Bumping up a thread that is almost 10 years old.

Need recommendations to beat the heat - do the heat reflective paints really work? I am looking at some of these as the options to add a coating for the Roof to beat the summer heat.

1. Allied Koolmax: http://alliedmetallurgical.com/allied_koolmax

2. Excel CoolCoat: http://xlcoatings.com/

3. Star Cool Shield: http://starshield.in/star-cool-shield/

Here is a video that claims some kind of analysis as well:

Please share your experiences with these or similar products. Are these a worthy investment and how long do these last?
Old 17th March 2019, 00:49   #43
BHPian

I got a similar product from Amazon in 2016.
I'm a DiY guy and I painted the terrace of my 30x40 home with it
The difference in interior temperature after the terrace paint was stunning. We could stay indoors without a fan.
Earlier, the bed, chairs and all other items would be hot to touch even at night.
The paint would have pushed for another year maybe but I thought it was loosing it's reflective properties due to dust accumulation and general dulling with time.
So I did a repaint this year and the results have been good.

I would surely recommend it.
Pick something which has a high SRI and get a thick coat done on your roof.
perty is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th March 2019, 08:54   #44
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by perty View Post
I'm a DiY guy and I painted the terrace of my 30x40 home with it
The difference in interior temperature after the terrace paint was stunning. We could stay indoors without a fan.
Earlier, the bed, chairs and all other items would be hot to touch even at night.
The paint would have pushed for another year maybe but I thought it was loosing it's reflective properties due to dust accumulation and general dulling with time.
So I did a repaint this year and the results have been good.

I would surely recommend it.

May I know which prodduct you bought.
Planning to get the coating done at my parents place in Mysore this summer.
Old 17th March 2019, 17:38   #45
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by perty View Post
Thanks for sharing your experience. Do you remember what is the specific product you used?

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedmiester View Post
May I know which product you bought.
Planning to get the coating done at my parents place in Mysore this summer.
Based on my analysis so far, the following three are the top contenders:
1. Star Cool Shield : Rs.16.34 per sq.ft (SRI 130)
2. Excel Cool Coat : Rs.14.86 per sq.ft (SRI 122)
3. Allied Koolmax : Rs.13.60 per sq ft (SRI 120)

Star Cool Shield folks had called me and claimed that they have the highest SRI rating as compared to any product in India at 130. They also claimed this rating is the second highest in the world and that they export the product also to other countries. They also claimed a durability of 7+ years...

I also checked a local store and they had something quite inexpensive called "Surya Kool" (URL).

Most Viewed