Team-BHP - Beat the heat - suggestions required
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Shifting gears (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifting-gears/)
-   -   Beat the heat - suggestions required (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifting-gears/56100-beat-heat-suggestions-required-5.html)

Quote:

Originally Posted by vsrivatsa (Post 4574831)

Attachment 1868124
Roof looks like it has snowed in Bangalore stupid:

Attachment 1868125
Snow Capped Roof of Bangalore

Looks like a really big house! Do you think heat maybe seaping in from the untreated side walls?

Finally, before the summer starts full blown and with a 5 month old at home, bought a 10kg can of LuminX reflective paint and applied it over the weekend.

https://www.amazon.in/gp/product/B07...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It was a bad breaking job, but I think it was worth it since bedroom I applied it over doesn't have that baked feeling since last few days. It was a 10kg bucket and as per instructions, 20% dilution is required. I probably did 40% dilution since I wanted a bit more area covered. This may have compromised on the heat absorption a bit. Nevertheless, the difference can be made out. I am hoping it will last for atleast couple of summers.

Quote:

Originally Posted by tharian (Post 4767869)
Finally, before the summer starts full blown and with a 5 month old at home, bought a 10kg can of LuminX reflective paint and applied it over the weekend..

Was this applied on terrace?
Did you have to mix it with any primer etc?

Any ideas about it's efficacy on the indoors of the house?:thumbs up

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1985Darkkid85 (Post 5043098)
Was this applied on terrace?
Did you have to mix it with any primer etc?

Any ideas about it's efficacy on the indoors of the house?:thumbs up

Yes, on the terrace only above one room. You only need to mix water as per instructions.
It did make a difference this year too although it's been a year since applied. The terrace is tiled, so it will peel off over time if you dillute it too much. It most effective when applied on a rough surface.

I would say it is effective since I can make out the difference between that room and other rooms. But the effectiveness will reduce over time as the coating fades off or gets dirty

Quote:

Originally Posted by tharian (Post 4767869)
Finally, before the summer starts full blown and with a 5 month old at home, bought a 10kg can of LuminX reflective paint and applied it over the weekend.

https://www.amazon.in/gp/product/B07...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It was a bad breaking job, but I think it was worth it since bedroom I applied it over doesn't have that baked feeling since last few days. It was a 10kg bucket and as per instructions, 20% dilution is required. I probably did 40% dilution since I wanted a bit more area covered. This may have compromised on the heat absorption a bit. Nevertheless, the difference can be made out. I am hoping it will last for atleast couple of summers.

How to apply it? Use a paint brush or paint roller?

Will the subsequent rainy season erode this coating if applied on a rough surface?

Quote:

Originally Posted by sagarpadaki (Post 5043373)
How to apply it? Use a paint brush or paint roller?

Will the subsequent rainy season erode this coating if applied on a rough surface?

A paint roller will be easier to apply with. On a rough surface, it will stick better even during the rains. On tiles, especially if it is walked on often, it will start peeling off especially if the coating is thin.

Quote:

Originally Posted by tharian (Post 5043245)
I would say it is effective since I can make out the difference between that room and other rooms. But the effectiveness will reduce over time as the coating fades off or gets dirty

I moved to the suburbs of Chennai recently and my rental villa gets super hot since there is no cover from the sun, no structures near by, no tree shade etc. I am getting all rooms acs installed and these will be used sparingly (hoping) but the electricity bills will burn more than the Sun I imagine. I am considering LuminX paint that has suddenly gone out of stock on Amazon. I will need maybe 20-25kg and am wondering if the 18-20k will be worth it in terms of roi on electricity savings.
We have this headroom for the stairs going up to the terrace, I imagine the top and maybe the side walls should be painted too?

Quote:

Originally Posted by diyguy (Post 5301980)
I moved to the suburbs of Chennai recently and my rental villa gets super hot since there is no cover from the sun, no structures near by, no tree shade etc. I am getting all rooms acs installed and these will be used sparingly (hoping) but the electricity bills will burn more than the Sun I imagine. I am considering LuminX paint that has suddenly gone out of stock on Amazon. I will need maybe 20-25kg and am wondering if the 18-20k will be worth it in terms of roi on electricity savings.
We have this headroom for the stairs going up to the terrace, I imagine the top and maybe the side walls should be painted too?

I am not sure how big your terrace is, but if it is the whole terrace you need painted, 20kgs seems right to start off with. Don't dilute over 20% as then the effect and longevity will reduce.
I applied it over one bedroom mainly and a part of the hall. But the bedroom was the most effective in terms of keeping the heat out mainly because hall was not fully covered. I don't think you need to apply it on the wall.

This is the third summer with temperatures wound 35c in Bangalore, the afternoons sees the fan in speed 2.

Quote:

Originally Posted by tharian (Post 5302129)
This is the third summer with temperatures wound 35c in Bangalore, the afternoons sees the fan in speed 2.

Fan at speed 2 is shocking to me, I've been wetting my face and body during the daytime to tolerate the heat here. I've taken the plunge and ordered the 5kg box as the 20kg is out of stock. I think the terrace is about 750sq ft excluding the headroom. I will try it first over the first floor living room and hope it makes a difference. Sunday project is ready!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by diyguy (Post 5302625)
Fan at speed 2 is shocking to me, I've been wetting my face and body during the daytime to tolerate the heat here. I've taken the plunge and ordered the 5kg box as the 20kg is out of stock. I think the terrace is about 750sq ft excluding the headroom. I will try it first over the first floor living room and hope it makes a difference. Sunday project is ready!!

Well, humidity is much lesser in Bangalore, so that helps as well.
If you are applying it over one room, make sure that room is fully covered, or it won't be effective.

Also, get a roller brush with a long handle, it will be much easier to apply without having to bend.

Quote:

Originally Posted by tharian (Post 5302701)
Also, get a roller brush with a long handle, it will be much easier to apply without having to bend.

Thanks was planning to do this. Do I need to apply a primer prior to applying this? I read about the 20% water to be mixed but not sure if the area has to be treated prior. Other than a wash and clean of the floor, was wondering if a primer is needed or if gaps should be plugged with Patti etc

Quote:

Originally Posted by diyguy (Post 5302743)
Thanks was planning to do this. Do I need to apply a primer prior to applying this? I read about the 20% water to be mixed but not sure if the area has to be treated prior. Other than a wash and clean of the floor, was wondering if a primer is needed or if gaps should be plugged with Patti etc

No primer or patti required. Just wash and clean the surface well and let it dry before applying.

Though this thread is about suggestions to handle the building getting heated, here is one that works well to handle body heat during summers: washing the feet helps cool down the body.

Quote:

Originally Posted by tharian (Post 5302129)
I am not sure how big your terrace is, but if it is the whole terrace you need painted, 20kgs seems right to start off with. Don't dilute over 20% as then the effect and longevity will reduce.
I applied it over one bedroom mainly and a part of the hall. But the bedroom was the most effective in terms of keeping the heat out mainly because hall was not fully covered. I don't think you need to apply it on the wall.

I guess then that the paint is still making a noticeable difference in your house. While checking out this paint on Amazon saw one review (amongst a lot of positive ones) that mentioned the seller had placed an incentive for positive feedback in the package. After that I stopped looking at the Amazon reviews.

Is it possible for you to estimate how long we can expect this paint to last? Evaluating this option at my parents house where I need to cover about 1000+ sqft and what is holding me back is that I expect that since the house is on the main road the terrace would be effected by pollutants (not to mention the heavy rains here) which would reduce the effectiveness of this coating in maybe like 2 years or so.

Unless this paint is washable and it's adhesion can be improved on a concrete surface with a primer coat first.

Quote:

Originally Posted by JithinR (Post 5305935)
I guess then that the paint is still making a noticeable difference in your house. While checking out this paint on Amazon saw one review (amongst a lot of positive ones) that mentioned the seller had placed an incentive for positive feedback in the package. After that I stopped looking at the Amazon reviews.

Is it possible for you to estimate how long we can expect this paint to last? Evaluating this option at my parents house where I need to cover about 1000+ sqft and what is holding me back is that I expect that since the house is on the main road the terrace would be effected by pollutants (not to mention the heavy rains here) which would reduce the effectiveness of this coating in maybe like 2 years or so.

Unless this paint is washable and it's adhesion can be improved on a concrete surface with a primer coat first.

My guess on a concrete surface, like in the pictures few pages before, it should last 3-4 years, provided it doesn't fade away or get dirty.
If applied in the proportion they have mentioned, I think it will stick to the concrete surface and last for few years without peeling off. Constant walking on the painted surface will dirty it as well as chances for peeling off.

In my case, it was on a tiled surface and I was assuming it will peel off in couple of years. Surprisingly, it has lasted since 2020 summer and has peeled off very slightly in few spots and the whiteness is still there.

Whereas my neighbor who applied it over his full apartment soon after I did, it lasted just a year and started peeling off because that area is often walked over and it looked like he applied a thin coat as well.

Pollutants should not affect it much. I stay close to a flyover and a railway line and it hasn't affected the coating.