Team-BHP - The Forex Thread
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Shifting gears (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifting-gears/)
-   -   The Forex Thread (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifting-gears/56164-forex-thread-2.html)

I am Back.

Well I am traveling in following order

Bangkok - PATTAYA KUALA LUMPUR- Singapore .

Looks like I am going to following places for shopping ( Be tour operator )

Bangkok -> MBK

Malaysia -> Sungie Wang Plaza

Singapore -> VIVO city ( Is it worth to dich this and go to Mustfa/ nearbuy for electronic shopping? )

How are above malls , Are they good for just window shopping or I can do actual shopping?

As suggested by members I am planning to take Majority amount in SGD. But for the rest of the amount can I take INR and convert it in Malaysia/ Bangkok ?

I want to avoid double/ triple conversion (If I don't do that much shopping )

INR->UDS->Malaysia/XYZ

else if no shopping INR->UDS->INR

Skip VIVO.

For electronic go to Funan Plaza or Sim Lim Square. You will get more choices.

Quote:

Originally Posted by hrishig (Post 1253298)

Singapore -> VIVO city ( Is it worth to dich this and go to Mustfa/ nearbuy for electronic shopping? )

You wont really find the prices in Mustafa center to be cheaper than other places.

The only advantage for shopping there is the unbeatable "All under one roof" option. From electronic items to jewellery. From branded watches to groceries. From clothes to sporting goods, you get almost everything there.

Not to forget the currency excange there where you get good exchange rates and also a travel agency that offers good deals on airline tickets.

Have a good trip! :-)

u can also try prathunam plaza for electronics and indra market for replica watches n stuff [ both are close by] in bangkok.. suan-lum night bazaar is also a good option for night shopping with food n drinks.. MBK is good for some exclusive latest in fashion etc stuff..
going to mustafa market is useless.. u find stuff in india at the same prices.

Sungei Wang is okay but not worth it (i stayed next door so i know all the shops/prices :D)

Sim Lim square is where you need to go. Bargain like mad, and be careful of what you buy - they are not palika, but you still need to check.

there's a lovely camera shop at the top floor (in one of the aisles). Oriental or something

hi friends,
i am going to singapore and malaysia for one week on management tour sponsored by indian tourism, govt. of india. As this is my first experience to go abroad and also first tme to travel by flight. So i just need little guidance for the same, as this trip is sponsored so all the expenses will be bourne by the government. i am just carrying 50k with me for shopping. please tell me how to carry money- hard cash or i can use my indian banks ATM card there to take out money. also what are the things i can purchase from singapore which will be worth buying?
Also how much item i can carry back to india without paying custom duty?
Actually there are many questions but i thought of starting this way, i googled too but dont get a clear idea.
i am waiting in anticipation as my flight is scheduled for 26th october.

Do we have any updates on this?

Found somewhat similar old thread

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifti...hailand-2.html, However could not find place in pune to get best deals in pune.

Dealers like Cox and Kings etc and nationalised bank does offer deals at higher rates. Can somebody please suggest money exchangers in pune offering best deals for forex especially Singapore Malaysia THAILAND

Thanks.

i am also looking for same.
i checked with axis bank found like this.
axis bank have travel/currency card.
you can buy it at the fees of rs 150+tax and top up the amount in inr for usd or sing dollar.
the currency is loaded at present market rate. e.g. if you are loading 35000rs for sin dollar and market price for today is rs 35/dollar, then net 1000 sin dollar is loaded on your card.
when you use it abroad, for every transaction, they charge you equivalent 2 usd as fee despite transaction amount.
axis bank has branch in singapore.
so, if you withdraw all amount in one stoke from axis bank atm in singapore, transaction charges will be minimum, say rs 100.
check with axis bank for this info and correct it.
as of today, this is smarter way to keep currency transaction cost to minimum.
let us know your plan about currency so that i may also get benefited for our future trip to malaysia and singapore.
this plan is suitable to you if your first destination is singapore.

Thanks Ashish.

Actually this is good way of taking care of hassles of carrying around cash - at some added cost (150+taxes + 2$ for every transaction). Useful info.

So what will happen to unused currency? Will they buy it back? at what rate?

However , concern is getting this currency at cheaper exchange rate. Last time i checked $ rate with cox and kings - Rs. 49.10 while actual dollar exchange rate was Rs 46.90. No doubt , there are some taxes involved that they need to pay :-).

So i am looking for somebody who can provide me same $ at rate lesser than most of banks or travel agents do. in pune !

Quote:

Originally Posted by idea1979 (Post 1635879)

So i am looking for somebody who can provide me same $ at rate lesser than most of banks or travel agents do. in pune !

Just go to justdial and look for foreign exchange dealers, there are many. They will give you a much better rate than any of the banks. Do take $ in 50$ and 100$ denominations, you will get a better exchange rate for that.

I remember Kiran (MF) had exchanged currency at an exchanger in Koregaon Park, end of the lane adjacent to German Bakery. I believe he gives some good rates. I can't recall the name of the exchanger. Kiran should be able to provide more details.

Quote:

Originally Posted by hemanthisgreat (Post 1635907)
Just go to justdial and look for foreign exchange dealers, there are many. They will give you a much better rate than any of the banks. Do take $ in 50$ and 100$ denominations, you will get a better exchange rate for that.

Already did Just Dial thing, but most of numbers are old and cant be used. :Frustrati like for LKP forex.

Quote:

Originally Posted by FATAL3RROR (Post 1635909)
I remember Kiran (MF) had exchanged currency at an exchanger in Koregaon Park, end of the lane adjacent to German Bakery. I believe he gives some good rates. I can't recall the name of the exchanger. Kiran should be able to provide more details.

Thanks. Will try and PM kiran. Is it his alias here?

No clues . Please help

arre yaar.

take CASH to those places. Places there offer better forex rates than Indian places anyday.

/been to all of them!

Otherwise if you are paranoid, UAExchange or your local shady guy.