Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: what kind of job u do?
Conventional 67 67.00%
Unconventional 35 35.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 100. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 21st September 2007, 21:42   #76
BHPian

right now conventional.....a prosthodontist...now getting in to a phd with cross over to psychology...plan to be a health care MBA in another 5 years.....dreams keep evolving and thats the most fun part
Old 21st September 2007, 23:09   #77
BHPian

At Present,im in 12th std
Want to be a professional dj after that...i know its a very different one and about 95% of the people present here would think that it cannot be called as a proper job but just watch out for me after 6-7 years

Btw..anybody else into djing here?
Old 22nd September 2007, 10:46   #78
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by redrage View Post
I am new to this job profile and i enjoy every bit of of it.I absolutely relish my job as i got to visit TATA (chinchwad, Pune) and Mercedes Benz Sindelfingen (main plant) in Stuttgart. That Benz visit was one of the most amazing experience's in my life. Got to see the complete Final assembly of the S class (these guys assemble 194 cars in a span of 8 hrs - 1 shift duration, cras which are exported all over the world including India. With various engine options including the AMG!). It was mindblowing and i was amazed to see Robotics and precision at its very best. I had a sore neck almost trying to cover the place with my limited time i spent there. I am completly enjoying!
Lucky you, redrage! Am sure it would have been a fantastic experience......we had visited the Mahindra plant and enjoyed every bit of it. I can only imagine what it must have been like to see S-Class being assembled. How about a high-lights thread? What you found most fascinating? Where do they really stand out?
Old 23rd September 2007, 20:48   #79
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
How about a high-lights thread? What you found most fascinating? Where do they really stand out?
I wanted to do the same, but i dont have any snaps! which would completly not do justice to what i saw and if i do pen down the same.

Sorry to go OT but this is what little i have to share:
I would definetly say that the most facinating part of the assembly visit was when the interiors(Seat - manual assembly , dashboard - robots) get assembled onto the bare chassis by KUKA Robots. The precision of these machines are something which can drop jaws! We moved onto the next fitment after the interiors were assembled and saw a custom AMG S Class getting a Complete glass roof. Again pick and place robots which first tilt the roof after gripping, apply a glue like substance, Rotates and takes the roof up and places it on top! Mindblowing ! Then we moved the basement ( the assembly building is like a labyrinth ) where the chassis get integrated to Powertrain/Gearbox. We waited for the same white s class we saw with sun/moon roof fitment in the basement. The vehicle is brought down from the top with the help of conveyers and is placed on the powetrain unit, Bosch tightening systems comes into play here and the marriage is made!

Then our time ran out and we had to leave, none the less a great experience!
Old 24th September 2007, 10:36   #80
BHPian

TRTC Delhi

Quote:
Originally Posted by suren181 View Post
Are you from NTTF or GTTC Mendi?
Well I am from TRTC in Delhi.
Old 4th October 2007, 09:34   #81
BHPian

Hmm.. Rather conventional job for me in a Management consulting firm.. But what the heck I love every moment of it

I hope my organization strikes a deal with one of the automotive manufacturers for management consulting and then I can really enjoy the best of both worlds!
Old 18th July 2011, 03:00   #82

Re: Your Job: Have you lived your dream?

Well i do not know, whether this qualifies to be conventional or unconventional. But here it goes,

Finished my X and was in my XIth when my aunt told my mom, that i should be doing Tool and Die Making, since people who have done that were placed in Singapore and Australia

And so, that was it. Tool and Die Maker is what i became

Worked hard for a plastic component manufacturing company in coimbatore for sometime

Moved to bangalore and worked in the cutting tools manufacturing industry (Carbide technology)

Got tired of manufacturing , moved into designing of BIW lines (Automobile production line)

Got tired of designing, moved into Simulation ( Robotics as they call!!) completely enjoyed my time, went abroad to customer places saw how they work, saw the robots in action, saw the robots being manufactured

Got promoted to various roles, right from dirt digging to dirt selling

Confused as to where i stand today in terms of roles, but still trying to sell and dig at the same time at a customer place far out from India who actually happens to manufacture for GM, Chrysler (They are still in business ???)

So i do get tired of my jobs sometimes, sometimes it sucks because of the never ending deadlines, but boy-o-boy love i do!

Its kinda having a dream with in a dream and realizing everyday morning, that this is what i dreamt yesterday

So all in all having a blast, come Monday morning would be again cursing he customer who hardly understands english
Old 24th September 2011, 23:59   #83
BHPian

How do you decide your profession?

Hey Bhpians,

Couldn't find a related thread, so creating one.

We have members with all possible kinds of professions. We've got Doctors, engineers, Architects, bankers, CA's, self made entrepreneurs.

It would be nice to hear your stories. What you do, How you ended up doing it, what you really wanted to be, etc. Because Choosing a profession is a big thing. You have to be happy doing it, and it is influenced by many factors like family, opportunities, sacrifices.

I'm creating this post as I've just graduated (I'm an automobile engineer!) and planning my next step. And am finding it quiet complicated as every profession has it pros and cons [ hell lot of possibilities in every sector now a days...dont wanna choose the wrong one!]. A profession is going to be a big part of life, and all i want is to lead a happy life. and happiness doesn't necessarily mean money. It includes a balance of time between what you have to do and what you love doing.

Go Ahead, share your stories, the pros and cons of your profession, things you like about it, and things you don't, your dream job...additional inputs are welcome!
Old 25th September 2011, 10:01   #84
Senior - BHPian

Re: How do you decide your profession?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhawcash View Post
Hey Bhpians,

Couldn't find a related thread, so creating one.

We have members with all possible kinds of professions. We've got Doctors, engineers, Architects, bankers, CA's, self made entrepreneurs.

It would be nice to hear your stories. What you do, How you ended up doing it, what you really wanted to be, etc. Because Choosing a profession is a big thing. You have to be happy doing it, and it is influenced by many factors like family, opportunities, sacrifices.

I'm creating this post as I've just graduated (I'm an automobile engineer!) and planning my next step. And am finding it quiet complicated as every profession has it pros and cons [ hell lot of possibilities in every sector now a days...dont wanna choose the wrong one!]. A profession is going to be a big part of life, and all i want is to lead a happy life. and happiness doesn't necessarily mean money. It includes a balance of time between what you have to do and what you love doing.

Go Ahead, share your stories, the pros and cons of your profession, things you like about it, and things you don't, your dream job...additional inputs are welcome!

Another 8 months will tell me where I will be working. IT or core company (Mech Engg). Lost out on a very good opportunity as I didn't make it to the MnM campus recruit. Hopefully Toyota will come to my campus..

That aside, I have given myself 7 years in work. After that I plan to start something on my own. Never been the one to take orders.
Old 25th September 2011, 10:30   #85
Team-BHP Support

I did my BTech in computer science in '08 and got placed in a top mobile company right after college. I'm into this job writing embedded software ever since. My parents run a business managing retail supplies of pharmaceuticals and FMCG goods to pharmacies and supermarkets in Bangalore. I enjoy doing my techie job on weekdays and helping my parents a bit on weekends.

I am really not interested in climbing the corporate ladder in the long run. I will at some point takeover the business and 5 -10 years down the line, would like to make enough money, buy a coffee estate in the western ghats and settle down, setup a tourism venture somewhere there, live a sedate life without the hustle and bustle of the city, travel to different places in my free time and enjoy life. Wow, dreams, dreams! *Sigh*
Old 30th September 2011, 06:23   #86
BHPian

I'm a freelance software developer and work with .NET, PHP, and core Java. It started off about a year ago when I had to quit work to attend a class prior to starting on my dissertation. I've been freelancing ever since. I might be taking up regular work in about a year after handing in my dissertation though.
Old 14th November 2015, 21:57   #87
Senior - BHPian

Recently entered IT industry after finishing my education.

My initial one year experience in IT has taught me lot of things. The rat race, the stiff competition among peers to get that increment. The politics involved. Sexism too. For strange reasons, I have seen female employees getting more onsite opportunities than the male counterparts. A debatable topic but that's true. All of my batchmates have reported this. Same happened while recruitment also. Anyways that's a different story.

Though I enjoy doing my job, sometimes I feel, where I am heading after all. Is it just the money for which I am doing my job and be prepared for the fear of responsibilities in future, having enough moolah to buy my dream car!

Don't know to be honest. As of now all I see myself to be part of the mad rat race of the IT world, where the motive of a software engineer is to become a senior software engineer in next two years, then an analyst/team lead in next five years, then a project manager in 7-8 years, a project head in 10-12 years, delivery head in 13-15 years and then maybe your company's CTO in about 20 years time.

Even though it may be easy to read but the thought of becoming a company's CTO is not really easy with kind of competition I am seeing all around.

How to keep up, how to bear the pressure.

Often I feel I may need to switch to MBA related jobs to escape the IT route.

As of now earning enough and living independently looks like to be living your dream. But I don't know if that was truly our long-term dream. Obviously earning money and staying independent is a necessity after finishing formal education.
Old 15th November 2015, 20:24   #88
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluevolt View Post
Recently entered IT industry after finishing my education.

My initial one year experience in IT has taught me lot of things. The rat race, the stiff competition among peers to get that increment. The politics involved. Sexism too. For strange reasons, I have seen female employees getting more onsite opportunities than the male counterparts. A debatable topic but that's true. All of my batchmates have reported this. Same happened while recruitment also. Anyways that's a different story.
I am not sure of your age but it seems like you are in your 1st job. So you might probably be in the 21-25 age bracket. Few things which might help which I have learnt by experience and by reading experiences of other people:

1. Life is tough!

2. The most important/toughest thing in your life will be to stay happy.

3. You will never be able to escape the feeling of an empty life - a life running after jobs/money/family and other things

4. Life is unfair - It is naive to think that everything in life should be as per fairness principle.

5. You will find deserving people not getting their fair amount of success and undeserving people getting ahead in life. You just have to learn to deal with it!

6. Always focus on learning and increasing your knowledge base. Never ever think that you have learnt enough.

I have tons of things to say! But for now, I think my points will have potrayed how negative I am about life. I am sure people here will tell me that life is simple and stuff. But I believe in one thing - everyone have their own struggles and problems. There is no point in comparing yourselves to others.
Old 15th November 2015, 21:38   #89
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saanil View Post
I am not sure of your age but it seems like you are in your 1st job. So you might probably be in the 21-25 age bracket. Few things which might help which I have learnt by experience and by reading experiences of other people:

1. Life is tough!

2. The most important/toughest thing in your life will be to stay happy.

3. You will never be able to escape the feeling of an empty life - a life running after jobs/money/family and other things

4. Life is unfair - It is naive to think that everything in life should be as per fairness principle.

5. You will find deserving people not getting their fair amount of success and undeserving people getting ahead in life. You just have to learn to deal with it!

6. Always focus on learning and increasing your knowledge base. Never ever think that you have learnt enough.

I have tons of things to say! But for now, I think my points will have potrayed how negative I am about life. I am sure people here will tell me that life is simple and stuff. But I believe in one thing - everyone have their own struggles and problems. There is no point in comparing yourselves to others.
Exactly, I agree on all the mentioned points. Thanks for them.

In fact I have seen many these instances in my small tenure in corporate. Will complete one year very soon. It is my first job in IT industry, fresh out of college, just turned 25.

I realise life was actually simple before - in school, in college. Everything seems to be lost as the childhood faded. And with real manhood begun, Now actually seeing the true colors of life and people, indeed it is not that simple.

And looks like there is no escape as well!

Last edited by bluevolt : 15th November 2015 at 21:39.
Old 16th November 2015, 13:14   #90
BHPian

Well after completing XII, someone advised to go for DME saying that Tata hires them every year. Well DME it was for the next three years and after completing that I wanted a degree so completed BE.

During BE realised that I liked programming more than anything else so attended the DAC course in CDAC here and since then for the last 10 years I have been in software development. I do enjoy my work but lately since joining a services organization, it seems that most of the times it is mindless work. Hoping to switch now to a more interesting job but apart from the times when I wished I was a pilot, this is what I wanted to do

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks