Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: what kind of job u do?
Conventional 67 67.00%
Unconventional 35 35.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 100. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 16th November 2015, 13:19   #91
Senior - BHPian

Re: Your Job: Have you lived your dream?

I am not sure what we mean by conventional.
But I voted for it.

I am a hospitality industry professional and am into the Sales Strategies and Marketing domain.

This is not my dream job though.
Earlier in my life, I always wanted to join Marine Engineering. It somehow did not materialize.

Now, as time passes, I want to be a traveler and write reviews and blogs, visit new places and try out new cuisines. And to top it all, be paid for doing these!!!
Old 16th November 2015, 13:28   #92
BHPian

Voted Conventional.

~7.5 years in the IT industry, post MBA in 2008 - currently a Marketing Manager in a big IT firm.

Was always interested in technology right from my childhood, so IT industry was the natural choice even though I don't have an engineering degree.

Till now, have done a decent mix of business development, account management and product marketing across product and service companies.

Have experienced quite a bit of the usual accompaniments of working life - politics, back-biting, killer rat race, favoritism etc etc.

Would love to get the heck out of the rat race but you know, life happens and responsibilities keep on increasing.

Earn, spend, save, invest and at the same time enjoy what you do and find your true calling in life! Wishful thinking, life is tough for everyone, deal with it.

Cheers
Parth

Last edited by Parth46 : 16th November 2015 at 13:35.
Parth46 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th November 2015, 14:07   #93
BHPian

The moment i stop enjoying what i do, i move on to cause less stress to everyone around. Life is too short just to do one thing .
With that --> was a shop floor engineer, Database programmer, DBA, Java developer, Perl/python programmer and manager, MBA grad, Investment banker in private wealth management/prime brokerage & futures clearing and for last one into electric hybrid vehicles, ECUs and container generation leadership role.

Last edited by FuelInjector : 16th November 2015 at 14:09.
Old 18th November 2015, 21:19   #94
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parth46 View Post
Voted Conventional.

~7.5 years in the IT industry, post MBA in 2008 - currently a Marketing Manager in a big IT firm.

Was always interested in technology right from my childhood, so IT industry was the natural choice even though I don't have an engineering degree.

Till now, have done a decent mix of business development, account management and product marketing across product and service companies.

Have experienced quite a bit of the usual accompaniments of working life - politics, back-biting, killer rat race, favoritism etc etc.

Would love to get the heck out of the rat race but you know, life happens and responsibilities keep on increasing.

Earn, spend, save, invest and at the same time enjoy what you do and find your true calling in life! Wishful thinking, life is tough for everyone, deal with it.

Cheers
Parth
Were you in IT industry with your MBA degree? How the transition happened from IT to MBA? Also was that transition smooth in terms of pay etc. I am also in IT but may want to go into MBA related field in future.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuelInjector View Post
The moment i stop enjoying what i do, i move on to cause less stress to everyone around. Life is too short just to do one thing .
With that --> was a shop floor engineer, Database programmer, DBA, Java developer, Perl/python programmer and manager, MBA grad, Investment banker in private wealth management/prime brokerage & futures clearing and for last one into electric hybrid vehicles, ECUs and container generation leadership role.
So how was your experience while changing from one distinct field to another. How you were able to convince your new organisation that why you are switching from IT to MBA and then to Banking etc!

Looks like you seems to have enjoyed working in all these profiles
Old 19th November 2015, 08:43   #95
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluevolt View Post
So how was your experience while changing from one distinct field to another.
Great experience. Its very difficult in the beginning. New place, new environment, new colleagues, new method of working etc. but somehow i have always enjoyed when am outside my comfort zone.

Quote:
How you were able to convince your new organisation that why you are switching from IT to MBA and then to Banking etc!

Looks like you seems to have enjoyed working in all these profiles
Honestly think am lucky. But on deeper thought, i feel all my managers were highly entrepreneurial and willing to take a chance . Am sure they must have had a plan B if i was not doing my job well after getting the role.
Old 19th November 2015, 10:59   #96
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
As of now all I see myself to be part of the mad rat race of the IT world, where the motive of a software engineer is to become a senior software engineer in next two years, then an analyst/team lead in next five years, then a project manager in 7-8 years, a project head in 10-12 years, delivery head in 13-15 years and then maybe your company's CTO in about 20 years time.
The days of becoming a project manager in 7-8 years are long gone and rightly so. If you want to remain in the IT industry and suceed, keep yourself technically up-to date and aim for the technology roles. The middle management roles are the ones which can/are easily eliminated and you will see fewer and fewer management roles as the years go by.
Old 20th November 2015, 10:00   #97
BHPian

Ahh it's wonderful to finally see a thread like this. I actually don't have a job, started off doing my own thing and so far, it's been a pretty fun, crazy, slightly stressful but highly productive ride.

So in short, am I living my dream? Well, things have indeed ended up a lot better than I expected them to be. So yes, I am somewhat living a dream life.
Old 20th November 2015, 14:00   #98
BHPian

Yea - good to see this thread. I started off in sales and then got into outsourcing. Not in frontline mind you, but more of transition and solution architect role. Did PM for quite sometime and now in a consulting function. And that is good. It is one dream job to have, but i would not say the end of the road. That is still a bit far away

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks