Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 10th July 2015, 11:15   #1546
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Recipes / Discussions on cooking from Team-BHP Master Chefs

For those who are in search of a strong hing, try SSP Hotel special Hing. Although i do not know the actual percentage, it is very strong and the scent is heavenly. Available in 250 gram boxes and above

@DerAlte sir, the one in Rajajinagar Industrial area is SSP only. It is on the same line as that of Advaith Hyundai Service center

http://www.sspandian.com/industrial-use

Last edited by sagarpadaki : 10th July 2015 at 11:29.
Old 10th July 2015, 12:21   #1547
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
For those who are in search of a strong hing, try SSP Hotel special Hing. Although i do not know the actual percentage, it is very strong and the scent is heavenly.
Where could we get this SSP Hotel Special Hing? I haven't seen this in grocery shops in and around JP Nagar.
Old 10th July 2015, 13:11   #1548
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMaruru View Post
Where could we get this SSP Hotel Special Hing? I haven't seen this in grocery shops in and around JP Nagar.
You have to ask around in few local kirana and wholesale grocery shops. You will not get them in super market shelves.
Old 11th July 2015, 18:12   #1549
Senior - BHPian

In the last two Fridays, I have tried two different dishes: kangaroo and crocodile meats.

I bought kangaroo steaks marinated in herbs and garlic, and put them in oven directly. The meat was very lean. It did not release any fat, when it was in the oven.

Crocodile meat looked like fish fillet, but was very tough to cut. So I first cooked it in pressure cooker, and then stir fried it with ginger, garlic, chillies, turmeric powder and onions. It was pretty soft by then, and tasted like fish. But it looks like, creates more heat in the body than chicken. The whole of the following day (today) was ruined, because of uneasy stomach.
Old 13th July 2015, 15:25   #1550
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
... Hing is generally used for legumes and not meats. ...
It was the traditional garlic substitute used in Hindu cooking. Aloo ki subji served in UP (with Pooris or Kachoris) wouldn't be what it is without Hing. Ditto original Dum Aloo (not the modern interloper with onion-based gravy). Niramish cooking of non-veg (there can't be a worse oxymoron), usually fish, is with Hing and not garlic.

The difference in the two branches of Kashmiri cooking is just that - one uses Hing, Sonth, Aniseed and Yoghurt, and the other garlic, ginger, onions and tomatoes.

Quote:
... SSP Hotel special Hing. Although i do not know the actual percentage, it is very strong and the scent is heavenly. Available in 250 gram boxes and above ...
Quote:
... You will not get them in super market shelves.
Thanks, Sagar, for confirming the SSP name. They almost got burnt down by the rampaging mob during the last Cauvery galata!

The Hotel Hing is vailable in Metro C&C. It has the same %age of hing as their blue-box Hing. The 'Hotel' part is just bulk packing.
Old 13th July 2015, 15:52   #1551
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohanjf View Post
In the last two Fridays, I have tried two different dishes: kangaroo and crocodile meats.

I bought kangaroo steaks marinated in herbs and garlic, and put them in oven directly. The meat was very lean. It did not release any fat, when it was in the oven.

Crocodile meat looked like fish fillet, but was very tough to cut. So I first cooked it in pressure cooker, and then stir fried it with ginger, garlic, chillies, turmeric powder and onions. It was pretty soft by then, and tasted like fish. But it looks like, creates more heat in the body than chicken. The whole of the following day (today) was ruined, because of uneasy stomach.
Crocodile and Kangaroo meat ? EEK

Is it even legal to eat Meat of these animals?

EDIT: As a rule of thumb, and i don't want to be preachy, avoid as far as possible meats of bigger animals and animals who are difficult to catch and slaughter (eg. due to their agiltiy or being dangerous to humans).

Last edited by DCEite : 13th July 2015 at 16:00.
Old 13th July 2015, 16:13   #1552
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCEite View Post
Crocodile and Kangaroo meat ? EEK
Is it even legal to eat Meat of these animals?
Yes, it is perfectly legal in Australia. I'd seen it in the markets but never had the guts to try

Kangroo meat is pretty tough is what most of my friends said - who did try it.

Australia has great foodie culture (much like us). Their food is really diverse. Love their breakfast, which is available all through the day!

Last edited by pratyush6 : 13th July 2015 at 16:16.
Old 13th July 2015, 18:56   #1553
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMaruru View Post
We use Hing a lot and the SSP hotel special one as well , I checked with my wife and looks like she sources it from a shop in Chickpet and also there is a shop in Yelchanahalli on Kanakapura road which has it, let me know if you need phone number for any of the shops.
Old 13th July 2015, 19:09   #1554
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mazda4life View Post
I checked with my wife and looks like she sources it from a shop in Chickpet and also there is a shop in Yelchanahalli on Kanakapura road which has it, let me know if you need phone number for any of the shops.
Please provide me the contacts of the shop at yelechanahalli. We stay closer to kanakapura road.
Old 25th July 2015, 14:31   #1555
Senior - BHPian

I didn't want to post this requirement on the home appliance thread as folks here would be better equipped to give suggestions.

I want to get a food processor and my requirements are pretty basic:
1. It should be able to make dough
2. Should help with any and every vegetable/fruit chopping
3. Should be able to make juices of hard fruits as well as veggies (Carrots etc.)

I have no idea where to even begin from or if there are other pre-requisites that I should know of before buying one.
Old 25th July 2015, 14:37   #1556
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pratyush6 View Post
Yes, it is perfectly legal in Australia. I'd seen it in the markets but never had the guts to try

Kangroo meat is pretty tough is what most of my friends said - who did try it.

Australia has great foodie culture (much like us). Their food is really diverse. Love their breakfast, which is available all through the day!
Kangaroo is normally eaten rather rare. Cook it too much and it becomes like chewing on a rubber tyre.
Old 25th July 2015, 18:30   #1557
BHPian

Really happy with thisPhilips Food Processor- Amazon.in.
Old 25th July 2015, 19:02   #1558
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fine69 View Post
I didn't want to post this requirement on the home appliance thread as folks here would be better equipped to give suggestions.

I want to get a food processor and my requirements are pretty basic:
1. It should be able to make dough
2. Should help with any and every vegetable/fruit chopping
3. Should be able to make juices of hard fruits as well as veggies (Carrots etc.)

I have no idea where to even begin from or if there are other pre-requisites that I should know of before buying one.
One single machine, reasonably priced, will not do all the three jobs. Some are available but they will cost much more than three dedicated pieces.

1. For dough you need a dough mixer. You can see them in many cooking shows. It is a mixer with swiveling head, with the mixing head rotating slowly in a large circle and the mixing blade rotating a bit faster.
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00CCRKCQG?psc=1

2. For chopping you need a chopper attachment. Otherwise you can do with a grater attachment included in most food processors.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/VonShef-Mult.../dp/B00P2I74PO

3. For juices, I find that dedicated juicer which will separate juice and the solids works better than any attachment to a mixer.
http://www.amazon.in/Juicers/b?ie=UTF8&node=1380070031
Old 25th July 2015, 23:09   #1559
BHPian

I have the same processor @Resfeber has linked above and it can meet all the requirements @fine69 is looking for. Works fine for a family of two: we prepare dough for bread with it, chop pretty much any vegetable we use. I can't confirm the carrot juice part though because we've never tried that.
Old 27th July 2015, 20:03   #1560
BHPian

Yes, even I use a dedicated juicer. It is a Philips too. I use it to extract juice from Carrot and Beets, even with regular cleaning it stains the inner walls of the extractor. So it is better to invest in a dedicated juicer.

Most Viewed