Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd January 2016, 16:50   #1591
Senior - BHPian

re: Recipes / Discussions on cooking from Team-BHP Master Chefs

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy View Post
... Can we sprout Safed Mattar like we sprout Moong beans etc?
It does sprout, but takes a whole lot longer. The sprouts from the green (dried) peas are sweetish, but the ones from the white peas don't have much taste.
Old 22nd January 2016, 16:59   #1592
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
It does sprout, but takes a whole lot longer. The sprouts from the green (dried) peas are sweetish, but the ones from the white peas don't have much taste.
Does that mean that for the White Vatana, the taste goes away on sprouting as compared to before?
Old 22nd January 2016, 17:05   #1593
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Does that mean that for the White Vatana, the taste goes away on sprouting as compared to before?
Since for white variety the peas are harvested from the pods much later (when the pods turn white and dry) than the green ones - more mature seeds. Sprouting doesn't take away the sweetness - it isn't there to start with. Try soaking some in hot water and taste (without soaking, you will risk chipping your teeth).
Old 22nd January 2016, 18:07   #1594
BANNED

Quote:
Since for white variety the peas are harvested from the pods much later (when the pods turn white and dry) than the green ones - more mature seeds. Sprouting doesn't take away the sweetness - it isn't there to start with. Try soaking some in hot water and taste (without soaking, you will risk chipping your teeth).
Thank you, DerAlte.

Currently I am making misal with a mix of sprouted moong bean (the small not dry ones) and sprouted matki beans. I was thinking of adding something more - what would you recommend - sprouted white dry or sprouted green dry?
Old 22nd January 2016, 18:54   #1595
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
... what would you recommend - sprouted white dry or sprouted green dry?
The sprouted dried green ones, or even sprouted fresh ones (moisten them, and hang them in a wet cloth at a warm place. Make sure cloth is wet till they sprout).
Old 22nd January 2016, 21:25   #1596
BHPian

Quote:
Something wrong with the pic. I am cock-eyed, and I am going cross-eyed looking at it! Looks amazing - just like what I have had in Goa.

Recipe pleeeeeej!
Sorry about the picture, I was trying fiddle with the image size and it got messed up! :-(.

Thank you very much for the comments!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
@gabrielthomas: Please post the recipes.

This is a thread for sharing recipes not just showing off how good (and you are very good) a chef you are.
Err...I really did not mean to show off. I thought Cafreal had a generic recipe which anyone could find easily, that is why I did not post the recipe.. apologies!! :-(

Here is the recipe that I followed:

What you will need for Cafreal Masala
  • Coriander Leaves (~ 8 in number)
  • Ginger (~ 2 inch)
  • Garlic (15 Cloves)
  • 1 Tablespoon Poppy seeds (Khus Khus)
  • 7 Peppercorns
  • 1 Big piece of Cinnamon
  • 1 Tablespoon of Jeera
  • 5 Cloves

Preparation
[1] Get whole Chicken Thighs with skin on. Wash and make gashes in the thigh. This will enable the masala to seep inside and blend with the meat.
[2] Wash and marinate the chicken with Salt, Tamarind water, Turmeric powder, Ginger Garlic paste(optional)
[3] Leave it aside for 15 to 30 minutes.
[4] Grind the items listed for Cafreal Masala into a nice paste.
[5] Apply this Cafreal Masala into the pre-marinated chicken.
[6] Leave it for 3 to 4 hours. Best results are yielded when its left overnight.
[7] After hours of marination, prepare a grill plate by splashing it with some oil.
[8] Now place the marinated chicken thighs on the plate and grill them on both sides till they are cooked about 80%.
[9] After they are done, place them in a pre-heated oven (250 C) and allow them to get roasted for about 10 mins. By this, they will be 100% cooked.
[10] Now, serve them on a plate and garnish with Onions and tomatoes with a wedge of Lemon.

Happy cooking!!
Old 26th February 2016, 17:31   #1597
Senior - BHPian

What's a "safe" recipe for cooking pork chops with commonly found ingredients at home. The ones I got have no fat on them and are in deep-freeze for the last one week because I'm not sure what's the right way of cooking them.

By safe I meant something that gives me a taste similar to that of north indian/mughlai gravies as this'd be the first time I'd be cooking and eating pork chops. I have eaten lots of bacon in the past and absolutely love it but have no clue about pork chops.
Old 26th February 2016, 22:41   #1598
BHPian

Anyone likes Tamil Nadu style sambar for idlies? I had been to Ooty and found both the chutney and sambar to be incredible. Please share the recipe for making sambar and chutney !!
Old 27th February 2016, 10:19   #1599
BHPian

@Blue_V: I think it's safe to attribute the good taste of vegetarian food in Ooty to the ingredient - the fresh vegetables - than to the actual recipe itself, in my opinion.
Old 27th February 2016, 13:10   #1600
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fine69 View Post
What's a "safe" recipe for cooking pork chops with commonly found ingredients at home. The ones I got have no fat on them and are in deep-freeze for the last one week because I'm not sure what's the right way of cooking them.

By safe I meant something that gives me a taste similar to that of north indian/mughlai gravies as this'd be the first time I'd be cooking and eating pork chops. I have eaten lots of bacon in the past and absolutely love it but have no clue about pork chops.
We make two kinds of Pork Chops
1. Naga Style, where we add Naga Chlly Pickle and Bamboo shoot and cook for at least one and a half hour on slow heat.
2. Fried/Grilled Pork Chops. Just Marinate the chops overnight and fry/grill them. They should take between 8 and 20 minutes, depending on the thickness.

If you want to make gravy you just substitute pork for mutton in any Indian recipe. The rest is same, including cooking time.

I have found that marinating any meat from overnight to two days improves the taste a lot, as the spices find time to migrate inside the meat.
Old 4th March 2016, 22:17   #1601
Team-BHP Support

Some of my attempts at cooking food.

Old 13th March 2016, 16:15   #1602
BHPian

Bedekars Mango Chutney Recipe

I've been looking for this chutney on the store shelves but it was confirmed by the company that they no longer produce my beloved Bedekars Mango Chutney :-(

Any of you chefs out there know the recipe used? IIRC the mango slices used to be crisp, possibly due to soaking them in alum solution. Home-made chutney just doesn't taste the same.
Old 13th March 2016, 19:02   #1603
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue_V View Post
Anyone likes Tamil Nadu style sambar for idlies? I had been to Ooty and found both the chutney and sambar to be incredible. Please share the recipe for making sambar and chutney !!
Seeing as you're from Bangalore, the sambar in Tamilnadu is spicier.

The coconut chutney too has umpteen variations in ingredients and garnishing depending on the localities and respective culinary habits.

The chettinad style is one of the more prevalent among restaurants.

You could get quite a few recipes online!

Wishing you tasty breakfasts :-)
Old 15th March 2016, 13:03   #1604
BANNED

Where can I buy food grade menthol/mint crystals or oil?
Old 16th March 2016, 20:25   #1605
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Where can I buy food grade menthol/mint crystals or oil?
These are usually available in the wholesale markets. Ask around in the smaller shops that sell stuff for panwallas. The crystals are packaged in a small 'dibbi' (cylindrical plastic box).

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks