Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd May 2016, 11:51   #1636
Team-BHP Support

Re: Recipes / Discussions on cooking from Team-BHP Master Chefs

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
BBlost,

That said, if we look at the 2 videos above, the first dish looked better plated than the second.

I would put the rice in a dish or a mould, add some colour using steamed veggies, and chop the chicken into smaller cubes. See links below.
https://yakitatemoment.files.wordpre...10/plating.jpg
http://www.pepper.ph/wp-content/uplo...-Salpicao1.jpg
Thanks Navin.

I will try my best to improve on these things.
Old 3rd May 2016, 11:57   #1637
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy View Post
What is the secret to making the crispyness of onion bhaji/pakoras last? When it's hot, it's crisp - however, after an hour or so, it becomes soft. No water was added to the besan while making it.
try sprinkling/mixing in batter little cornflour or rice flour on it before frying for that crunchy crust
Old 3rd May 2016, 15:35   #1638
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy View Post
Baking soda or baking powder? How much to add?
Baking powder (contains soda and some mild acid like citric acid), 1/2 teaspoon mixed / sifted with besan.

If you are not adding water, the baking powder will have to work with the moisture of the onion, and it may not be that efficient.

Try mixing rice flour into besan, about 20% worth. Should work better than baking powder.
Old 10th May 2016, 19:24   #1639
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue_V View Post
Anyone likes Tamil Nadu style sambar for idlies? I had been to Ooty and found both the chutney and sambar to be incredible. Please share the recipe for making sambar and chutney !!
Quote:
Originally Posted by nareshov View Post
@Blue_V: I think it's safe to attribute the good taste of vegetarian food in Ooty to the ingredient - the fresh vegetables - than to the actual recipe itself, in my opinion.
@Blue_V & @nareshov the secret to a good sambhar lies in the Sambhar Powder. It also depends on the choice of veggies - a mix of Yellow pumpkin, capsicum, carrots and Shallots makes a good Sambhar. Other veggie combinations are - Drumstick and Onions, Radish & Onions / Shallots, White Pumpkin (Safed Gumda or Ash Gourd).
Old 11th May 2016, 10:52   #1640
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
Does anyone here bake bread (loaf, not roti )made of whole wheat flour (atta) regularly? What proportions and process do you use?

I have tried a few times over the last 10 days, but the stuff refuses to come out as a soft springy loaf - preferring to resemble a brick steadfastly!!! Well, the outside is hard, but the inside is not that bad - it is soft, but quite dense as compared to the ones available commercially.
@DerAlte, came across your post yesterday while searching for something else. I bake my bread at home and normally make it with Whole Wheat flour only (we buy wheat grain and get it milled). Here is the recipe I use:

Ingredients:
2.5 cups wheat flour
1/2 cup maida
1 tbsp rolled easy cook oats
1/2 tbsp Dhalia (broken wheat)
1.5 cups water
1 tbsp sugar - preferably unrefined but white sugar will also do.
1.5 tsp dry active yeast
2 tbsp cooking oil
2 tbsp curd
1 tsp salt
2 tsp milk for brushing

Method:
1. Take the water in a microwaveable bowl and microwave it for 20-25 secs at microwave high (I used the max setting on my 900W oven)
2. Stir in the sugar till it dissolves and add the yeast to it. Use a wire whisk or a fork to vigorously mix it.
3. Wrap the bowl with cling film and leave it aside in a warm corner for 10-15 mins for the yeast to get activated. You could leave it inside the oven but ensure that you do not switch the oven. When the yeast is activated, the solution will appear frothy.
4. While the yeast is getting ready, blend all the other ingredients except the milk in a glass or creamic bowl using a spatula or a wire whisk.
5. Once the yeast broth is ready, pour it on the flour and gently but thoroughly mix it. For best results mix using your hand. The dough at this point should be sticky.
6. Cover the bowl with cling film and leave the bowl undisturbed for an hour in a warm corner. You could use the idle microwave again for this.
7. At the end of an hour, the dough should have doubled in volume. You will now have to knead it again.
8. Dust 1/4 cup of wheat flour on a kneading board or the kitchen counter and transfer the dough on to it.
9. Punch and flatten the dough first and then use the heel of your palm to knead it well for about 8-10 mins. Use additional dry flour till the dough no longer sticks to your palm.
10. Grease a bread tin with oil or butter and fill it to half its height with the kneaded dough and brush it with a little oil. Cover with a damp cloth and set aside for another 45 mins.
11. The dough will raise again to double its size. Now brush the milk on top of it. This will give the bread the distinct brown crust.
12. Pre-heat the oven to 220 degrees C. Use a wire stand and place the bread tin on it. Bake at 220 deg c for 22-25 mins or till the bread sounds hollow when you tap on its surface. At this point the crust should have turned a dark tan color.
13. Remove from the oven and leave it under a fan to cool for about 15 mins.
14. Run a knife along the edges of the bread to release it from the tin. Turn the tin upside down and gently tap it to remove the bread.
15. Use a bread knife and slice when the bread is still warm.

A few points to note:

1. While Olive oil gives a good flavor, you can also use refined sunflower oil or softened unsalted butter instead.
2. Ensure that you buy yeast that is manufactured within one month. Store the remaining yeast in an airtight container in the refregirator for future use.
3. You could also shape the dough into balls and bake them to make dinner rolls / buns. when baking them use a parchment paper to place them inside the oven.
4. You can add flax seed / Pine nuts also to the dough to enhance the taste. Dust the top of the dough (after brushing with milk) with rolled Oats or Broken Wheat or White Sesame seeds to enhance the taste and appearance further.
Attached Thumbnails
Recipes / Discussions on cooking from Team-BHP Master Chefs-img_3619-2.jpg  

Recipes / Discussions on cooking from Team-BHP Master Chefs-img_3621.jpg  

Recipes / Discussions on cooking from Team-BHP Master Chefs-img_3623.jpg  

Old 11th May 2016, 12:28   #1641
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnaganathan View Post
@DerAlte, came across your post yesterday while searching for something else. I bake my bread at home and normally make it with Whole Wheat flour only (we buy wheat grain and get it milled). Here is the recipe I use:
Thanks for sharing!

So far my attempt with baking a whole wheat bread (1:1 flour:whole wheat) was disastrous. I came to a decision that without wheat gluten added to thr flour it is not possible to bake a whole wheat bread.

Now after reading your post I'll give your recipe a try.
Old 11th May 2016, 18:03   #1642
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by archat68 View Post
Thanks for sharing!

So far my attempt with baking a whole wheat bread (1:1 flour:whole wheat) was disastrous. I came to a decision that without wheat gluten added to thr flour it is not possible to bake a whole wheat bread.

Now after reading your post I'll give your recipe a try.
The more Atta you use the less gluten, hence less rise. To get sufficient gluten, you have to give the dough time. I have tried various mixes of Maida to Atta and beyond 20% the bread rises less unless given plenty of time. with 1:1 mixture two days are minimum.

Now to the quality of Atta. There are various mixes. What we get from local mill is much coarser than what is available in bags. The bag Atta is much finer, I would say in between that of local mill and Maida, hence it has more gluten.

Here is a relevant recipe using curd to increase gluten
http://www.vegrecipesofindia.com/100...ad-atta-bread/
Old 2nd June 2016, 13:19   #1643
Team-BHP Support

I tried something very different last night.

Oats and Boneless chicken.

Recipe:
Chopped Leeks, Blanched Spinach and Toasted Oats.
Rub oil and seasoning on small boneless chicken pieces.

Cook the chicken and remove.
Saute the leeks and spinach in the oil left over from the chicken.
Add the oats. Mix everything.

Add the chicken.

You don't really need the tomato ketchup, which I added to humor my daughter.

Leave covered with the stove for at least 10 mins. This helps soften the toasted oats.

Old 27th June 2016, 21:29   #1644
BHPian

Recipes / Discussions on cooking from Team-BHP Master Chefs

Help!

So us friends have decided that one of us has to cook a brunch every Sunday. Next week, it is my turn.

Something that I am making requires at least 4kgs of onions to be chopped finely. Can you recommend a chopper or a slicer that you've been using? Manual or automatic, both work. My cook has offered her help, but Sunday is the only day she gets a holiday so don't want to bother her.

So crank up and suggest something.

Last edited by creative420 : 27th June 2016 at 21:31.
Old 27th June 2016, 21:40   #1645
Team-BHP Support

For chopping onions:
http://www.amazon.in/Pigeon-Handy-Mi...=sr_1_1&sr=8-1

Tip: Do not put in full onions. Always quarter them.

For slicing:
http://www.amazon.in/Ganesh-Adjustab...=sr_1_3&sr=8-3

Tip: If you are not a regular user its best to buy a mandoline with the guard. This will protect your fingers.

Last edited by bblost : 27th June 2016 at 21:49.
Old 28th June 2016, 06:33   #1646
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by creative420 View Post
So crank up and suggest something.
This is the one I have been using for over a year now: http://www.amazon.in/Glen-GL4043-250...s=glen+chopper
Old 28th June 2016, 09:28   #1647
BHPian

Thanks @bblost and @anupmathur. Will go with the electric chopper and the slicer as well
Old 28th June 2016, 09:51   #1648
Senior - BHPian

Not a cooking question really but does the bitterness of palak (spinach) indicate the level of pesticides or not?

My neighbors don't buy the spinach at the end of the season apparently because its much more bitter due to higher use of pesticides. I find that nonsense.

Any thoughts here folks?

Quote:
Originally Posted by anupmathur View Post
This is the one I have been using for over a year now: http://www.amazon.in/Glen-GL4043-250...s=glen+chopper
How often have you used it sir? We have a similar INALSA one - but even the maids don't want to use it to make chutney - preferring the regular mixie instead. I remember wearing down the blades of an older machine once in just one setting by grinding stuff that was too hard. Are you really happy with Glen?

Last edited by phamilyman : 28th June 2016 at 09:53.
Old 28th June 2016, 11:10   #1649
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
Not a cooking question really but does the bitterness of palak (spinach) indicate the level of pesticides or not?

My neighbors don't buy the spinach at the end of the season apparently because its much more bitter due to higher use of pesticides. I find that nonsense.

Any thoughts here folks?

How often have you used it sir? We have a similar INALSA one - but even the maids don't want to use it to make chutney - preferring the regular mixie instead. I remember wearing down the blades of an older machine once in just one setting by grinding stuff that was too hard. Are you really happy with Glen?

For the spinach bit, until organic farming was introduced, there was a season to have it, monsoon was a strict no no. It was a common understanding to not have leafy vegetables during rains. Now Spinach is grown through out the year and the use of pesticide can't be ruled out.

About the Glen/Inalsa bit, this one is for chopping purpose not to make chutney.
Old 28th June 2016, 13:34   #1650
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
How often have you used it sir? ...
In the winter months, when I like to do a lot more cooking than in the summer months, about once a week. During summer, once a month is more like it.
Can't blame your maid; it is a bother, as with any appliance, to clean up afterwards. It only makes sense to use it for large batches. For only one or two onions I never use it; prefer to do it manually.
anupmathur is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks