Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th October 2016, 14:18   #1696
Senior - BHPian

Re: Recipes / Discussions on cooking from Team-BHP Master Chefs

Quote:
Originally Posted by m8002? View Post
Check for edible coconut oil brands like KLF. You should find them along with the other edible oils in the supermarkets.
I got KLF Nirmal cold pressed coconut oil yesterday, yet to try it with chicken. Will share my observations, thanks!
Old 19th October 2016, 14:54   #1697
Senior - BHPian

100% pure parachute is definitely edible.

1. Doesn't have not for edible use
2. Has nutritional information printed on the bottle
3. We use it all the time at my house

There are some herbal added or light coconut oils from parachute that are not edible.
Old 19th October 2016, 15:23   #1698
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by m8002? View Post
I am not sure Parachute can be used for cooking. I think its mentioned in the pack its not for edible use ( though they claim they are 100% pure coconut oil ).

Check for edible coconut oil brands like KLF. You should find them along with the other edible oils in the supermarkets.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post

1. Doesn't have not for edible use
2. Has nutritional information printed on the bottle
3. We use it all the time at my house

There are some herbal added or light coconut oils from parachute that are not edible.
That "confusion" is because of taxes

Read more here:

https://www.quora.com/What-are-some-...t-tax-in-India
Old 20th October 2016, 16:32   #1699
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
This helps! For now I got the cold pressed KLF oil but will try parachute next.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
This was interesting

Now getting back on topic. I made some honey chilli chicken without eggs last week and it turned out fine.

Yesterday I tried to include eggs in the recipe and while the taste was ok, the looks part was a disaster.

Here's what I did, I beat 2 eggs and then added honey, soy sauce, red chilli sauce, ginger-garlic paste, salt, lemon juice and mixed everything.

Mixed small pieces of chicken in the above marinade and started cooking using little oil. While I thought the egg would coat the chicken, it turns out the egg cooked and then disintegrated like yogurt does usually.

Should I continue to include eggs and cook it differently or just take eggs out of the picture?

Usually I cook chicken first, take out the meat when its cooked and then add capsicum and onion and cook it in the liquid left in the pan. At the end I add a little cornstarch to thicken the gravy and finally add chicken pieces and sesame seeds just before serving.
Old 20th October 2016, 16:59   #1700
Senior - BHPian

When you use eggs in a batter - always use some sort of flour as well. Ideally cornflour but besan or rawa - like you use for fish fry - works well.

Here, by the way, is a recipe on how to make KFC "original recipe" based on the composition that was apparently leaked out by a descendant of Col. Sanders.

I have tried it, and while it is not 100% like KFC - that requires precisely controlled temperatures, an industrial fryer etc - it is still pretty tasty fried chicken.

http://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/foo...810814f57ac172
Old 20th October 2016, 17:17   #1701
Team-BHP Support

For vegetarians looking for nutritious non-grain options, here's a staple in my diet. Veggie soup, I've at times used as many as 10 vegetables together (the version in pics below has 8).

Preparation

You'll need veggies, of course. For calorie conscious or those wanting to avoid specific nutrient groups in their diet plans, swap out with veggies of your choice.

I've used yellow pumpkin, eggplant, spinach, green beans, beetroot, carrots, potatoes and onions.

Recipes / Discussions on cooking from Team-BHP Master Chefs-1.jpg

Recipes / Discussions on cooking from Team-BHP Master Chefs-2.jpg

Dry roasted and ground simple everyday spices: cloves (laung), coriander seeds (dhania), cardamom (elaichi), black pepper corns (kali mirch), cumin seeds (jeera) and some fenugreek seeds (methi daana).

Sometimes, I also use a bit of caraway/carom (ajwain), a couple of star anise pods and some fennel seeds (saunf). Adds a ton of flavor.

Recipes / Discussions on cooking from Team-BHP Master Chefs-3.jpg

Add regular wet spices (chopped): green chillies, garlic, ginger
A couple of bay leaves and a small stick of cinnamon for flavor.

Recipes / Discussions on cooking from Team-BHP Master Chefs-4.jpg

One of these to cook in.
Note: I buy my cooking utensils from the shops in Russell Market area, commercial kitchen grade. I just can't work with the retail-grade stuff, ridiculously expensive for crappy quality. In comparison, these will probably outlive my next few generations.

Recipes / Discussions on cooking from Team-BHP Master Chefs-5.jpg

Lightly stir fry/toss all veggies with the spices together in a little oil/grease. I prefer a mixture of extra-virgin olive oil and a small dollop of butter. Swap with your personal choice/taste.

Cook until the veggies are about half done (poke with a fork/knife to check), then add some turmeric powder (haldi) and salt to taste.

Recipes / Discussions on cooking from Team-BHP Master Chefs-6.jpg

Top up the pan with water upto about 2/3rd level, leaving enough space to boil/stew.

Cover with a lid and let it stew for about 30 mins. Finish with a small tbsp. of garam masala (optional) and some chopped fresh coriander.

End product: a delicious, hearty soup/stew that's easy to make, can be eaten as-is for a meal, or with rice/dalia as preferred. I usually cook enough to last a couple days. It actually tastes better on the second day after resting overnight.

My better half's a Bengali and they love their 'jhol'. I made this the first time she was missing her mom's jhol and I nearly had my fingers bitten off when she tasted this. This has since been a staple on our menu.
Recipes / Discussions on cooking from Team-BHP Master Chefs-7.jpg

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 20th October 2016 at 17:26.
Old 20th October 2016, 18:30   #1702
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
When you use eggs in a batter - always use some sort of flour as well. Ideally cornflour but besan or rawa - like you use for fish fry - works well.
I feel like an idiot now! Will try it with besan soon, thanks!!
Old 20th October 2016, 18:48   #1703
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fine69 View Post

Should I continue to include eggs and cook it differently or just take eggs out of the picture?
Eggs act as a binder, so if you use eggs then coat them with flour or bread crumbs and fry them. Then this can be tossed in the pan with vegetables and sauce.
Old 20th October 2016, 20:39   #1704
Senior - BHPian

Chetan - lovely vegetable soup there.

Just a couple of things.

As your wife is a Bengali she doubtless introduced you to panch phoron?

Spice with that, and also using a pressure cooker dramatically reduces the time you need to simmer your veggies into a stew.
Old 20th October 2016, 20:58   #1705
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Chetan - lovely vegetable soup there.

Just a couple of things.

As your wife is a Bengali she doubtless introduced you to panch phoron?

Spice with that, and also using a pressure cooker dramatically reduces the time you need to simmer your veggies into a stew.
Yes, we usually vary our spice mixes (or even proportions) based on what taste we want on a particular day. My mix is only missing the nigella seeds (kalonji) from panch phoron right? There's some Bengali stuff I'm still slow to adapt to, mustard oil and paste for example.

I prefer the pot to the cooker solely because I can control the degree of cooking of the veggies better (I like them a bit 'crunchy'), and also adjust taste along the way. The cooker takes away a bit of both.

As for time, I'm an early riser who doesn't start working until later in the day so I'm in no real hurry to get stuff done. Slow cooking is therapeutic

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 20th October 2016 at 21:01.
Old 30th October 2016, 19:10   #1706
Senior - BHPian

any bakers here?
Was able to cool up a decent pizza sauce from scratch, and okayish thin crust pizza, but still no luck with deep pan style pizzas and bread - its not soft and a bit tough.

I am using maida, but most videshi recipes recommend using "strong bread flour". I recall buying different grades of flour abroad, but here, all I can find are maida and atta.

Some googling tells me that i need to buy some wheat gluten , and switch to instant yeast rather than the local variety.

Or is there an easier way to do it ?
Old 30th October 2016, 19:39   #1707
Senior - BHPian

Pamela Timms - who writes a regular cookery column in Mint - addresses this

https://eatanddust.com/tag/making-bread-in-india/
Old 1st November 2016, 11:03   #1708
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
any bakers here?
Was able to cool up a decent pizza sauce from scratch, and okayish thin crust pizza, but still no luck with deep pan style pizzas and bread - its not soft and a bit tough.

I am using maida, but most videshi recipes recommend using "strong bread flour". I recall buying different grades of flour abroad, but here, all I can find are maida and atta.

Some googling tells me that i need to buy some wheat gluten , and switch to instant yeast rather than the local variety.

Or is there an easier way to do it ?
I have no idea of sauce, but I bake bread regularly, and at times use the same dough (freeze it for a few days and then use it) for Pizzas.

Oven is the only sure way to get soft crusty bread. I bake in a large Gas oven and do all my roasting and bread making in it.

Use Maida and dried yeast (available in small packets of large 1/2 kg packs). 1/2 TBS of dried yeast to 1/2 kg packet of maida does it. Knead thoroughly for 10 minutes, let it rest an hour and then knead a second time and put it in bread mould. Depending on room temperature the bread will double in 1 to 2 hours. Then bake it in as hot an oven as possible.

Recipes / Discussions on cooking from Team-BHP Master Chefs-jsc_7434.jpg
Buns

Recipes / Discussions on cooking from Team-BHP Master Chefs-jsc_7442.jpg
Bread

Recipes / Discussions on cooking from Team-BHP Master Chefs-gsc_9680.jpg
Pizza
Old 2nd November 2016, 07:39   #1709
Senior - BHPian

Possibly the best hotel sambar in the entire state of Tamil Nadu and the recipe is now in my hands!!

http://www.kannammacooks.com/annapoorna-hotel-sambar/
Old 2nd November 2016, 11:54   #1710
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
I have no idea of sauce, but I bake bread regularly, and at times use the same dough (freeze it for a few days and then use it) for Pizzas.

Oven is the only sure way to get soft crusty bread. I bake in a large Gas oven and do all my roasting and bread making in it.
I have an electric OTG - have been able to make decent cakes with it so far.

What brand maida and yeast do you use ?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks