Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th March 2009, 14:04   #166
BHPian

brings back old memories , actually has cleared the JET and secured an admisssion at National Culinary Institute - Taramani / chennai and fate would be my parents were against me becoming chef and was forced to take up engg course . BTW food is my other passion apart from cars / bikes ,i think am an average cook ,, maybe my folks at home should vouch for that . I love seafood esp. prawn/crabs.

bblost : congrats man ...
Old 9th March 2009, 14:06   #167
Senior - BHPian

^^ (Ripe) Banana fritters?
Old 9th March 2009, 14:41   #168
Senior - BHPian

^^ Looks like it. What we call "Pazham Pori" in Middle and Northern Kerala, and "Eythakka Appam" in Southern Kerala. Best done with minimum oil and medium ripe bananas. Yum!

Just stumbled upon this thread. I hope my wife doesn't. She cooks really well and is trying to "initiate" me into cooking (unsuccessfully). The best I can do is Maggi or Coffee
Old 9th March 2009, 14:45   #169
Senior - BHPian

Phew! This is some thread I have been missing so long!! I do cook...Yes!
Learnt it when I was a bachelor in Mysore(from any time I had left after spending tons of it at Maharani's!!)
Old 9th March 2009, 17:20   #170
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
Which type of (veg) biryani did you want to make? Bangalore (spicy) or Hyderabad (light)?

The simplest I have known is the recipe that is on the pack of Everest Pulao Biryani Masala. I don't normally trust the recipe printed on the masala packets, but this one is simple and practical and turns out great every time (both the aroma and the taste). Used to carry this packet to make biryani in Germany - with ready cut veggies meant for soups! Was a hit with the Germans and Turks there.
spicy!

aim is to impress. cant take chances with back of the packet recipes

regards,
Old 9th March 2009, 17:23   #171
Distinguished - BHPian

The only thing I can cook up is a nice story.
Old 9th March 2009, 22:53   #172
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RajeshK View Post
Many times, the situation made me to cook... (even after marriage..!!). Here is one sample item. Friends from Kerala can identify this easily..!!
Adi poli! Pazham pozhi!

Quote:
Originally Posted by theMAG View Post
The only thing I can cook up is a nice story.
Always a good thing,Sir!Its easier to read a story, than come up with one!
Old 13th March 2009, 10:50   #173
BHPian

Never thought I would try this again

After reading such 'inspiring' posts from other members, I tried my hand again at cooking something for my wife and son on Sunday. I decided on a south Indian dish called Upma. I was told by friends (more foes, actually!) that it is very simple to cook.

So, I took some sooji and first roasted it. When it turned brown, I set it aside. Then I poured oil into a kadhai and put jeera and rai in it. Then went some onions. I waited till they became brown. Till this moment, I asked my wife to stay away from the kitchen and not give her comments / suggestions.

Then I added the roasted sooji back into the pan and mixed it well. Things seemed fine. I told my wife to stay away from the kitchen and not give her comments / suggestions.

Then, I poured water.and started stirring vigorously. The water seemed to dry up pretty fast. So I added more water. And then some more. Now the water refused to evaporate and the Upma started looking like Sooji soup.

My wife called out and asked if things were fine. I shouted back "All in control" but could hear her giggling (or was it my imagination).

Desperation struck as I saw my upma, or was it sooji soup? I added some more sooji into the pan and stirred vigorously. The whole thing started to thicken and started to resemble upma from a certain angle.

As I added some more sooji, the upma began taking shape. I confidently told my wife to stay in the hall and that the upma would be on the table in a couple of minutes (it was 15 minutes already).

Finally, I touched the dish to see if it was soft as upma is supposed to be. It was a little hard. So I added very little water very carefully stirring all the time. Ah, now it was of the perfect texture.

Oops! Green chillies. I cut one chilly into small pieces and out them into the pan. I switched off the stove and mixed for one last time and allowed it to cool.

I took extra care in the serving part to ensure they looked tasty and tempting. The magnum opus was presented to my wife and son.

My wife tasted it - "It isn't cooked completely. And there is no salt."

Ok. That is what I forgot!

My son looked at me, then looked at my wife, gave us a wry smile and happily started munching on his sandwich. My wife made some Maggi for herself (it actually took her 3 minutes.

I excused myself and went out for a bread pakora. I didn't say a word till lunch. My wife made Karela (bitter gourd...I hate it) but I didn't object.

Now, please excuse me in case I decide never to visit this thread again.
Old 13th March 2009, 14:59   #174
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelwriter View Post
Now the water refused to evaporate and the Upma started looking like Sooji soup.
Quote:
The whole thing started to thicken and started to resemble upma from a certain angle.
Quote:
Finally, I touched the dish to see if it was soft as upma is supposed to be. It was a little hard. So I added very little water very carefully stirring all the time.
Quote:
The magnum opus was presented to my wife and son.
Quote:
My son looked at me, then looked at my wife, gave us a wry smile and happily started munching on his sandwich. My wife made some Maggi for herself (it actually took her 3 minutes.
A fine sunday morning, eh? Don't sweat, travelwriter. Atleast you managed to make it *look* like Upma. The first time I cooked, it sure as hell didn't look like anything meant for human consumption (am pretty good today though!)

Practice! Before you know it, it will come as naturally to you as driving a car. With time, the food gets tastier and the turnaround time shorter.
Old 13th March 2009, 15:45   #175
BHPian

A few pics from the New Year's Eve barbecue at my place

The Menu:

Chicken Tandoori
Pomfret Green Masala
Pomfret Malwani Masala
Pineapple Paprika Cream Chicken Tikkas (a spur of the moment recipe)
Prawns Paprika
Barbecued sweet n sour Prawns
Attached Thumbnails
Recipes / Discussions on cooking from Team-BHP Master Chefs-barbecue-1-compressed.jpg  

Recipes / Discussions on cooking from Team-BHP Master Chefs-barbecue-2-compressed.jpg  

Recipes / Discussions on cooking from Team-BHP Master Chefs-barbecue-3-compressed.jpg  

Recipes / Discussions on cooking from Team-BHP Master Chefs-barbecue-4-compressed.jpg  

Last edited by vikram18 : 13th March 2009 at 15:46.
Old 13th March 2009, 15:56   #176
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelwriter View Post
... Then, I poured water.and started stirring vigorously.
... As I added some more sooji, the upma began taking shape.
... My wife tasted it - "It isn't cooked completely. And there is no salt."
Now, please excuse me in case I decide never to visit this thread again.
Don't give up - happens to everyone the first time, tw.

You have to remember one thing though - the commutative law of arithmetic (a+b = b+a) does not apply to cooking. One has to add the sooji to water to get upma (and not stir the concoction till the water has been completely absorbed), not water to sooji (and stir as vigorously as possible) as in Halwa!

This is a common mistake made by anyone who has learnt cooking in North India. The common mistake that used to be made by South Indians (who are not used to coarse atta) on the other hand, was the way they made dough (not kneaded and rested enough) - resulting in leathery chappaties and poories.
Old 13th March 2009, 15:59   #177
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikram18 View Post
A few pics from the New Year's Eve barbecue at my place
ohhoho vikram,

why do you post such pics?
pota madhye kalwa kalaw hote.

Last edited by ASHISHPALLOD : 13th March 2009 at 16:01.
Old 13th March 2009, 16:04   #178
abk
BHPian

Do you cook??? Hell I do and I love it immensely, albeit after wetting my throats a bit

My personal favourites: Biryani & mutton though i do not get goat meat in this part of the world
Old 13th March 2009, 16:07   #179
BHPian

Thanks, friends. It just took me 3 hours to learn driving and take the car out on my own. But cooking..hmm. I guess I will need 3 weeks of continuous practice. One positive rub off is that my wife is glad I don't step into the kitchen anymore. That spares me some precious Sunday moments for myself.

I am fond of eating so I may still try my hand at cooking again, and, who knows, things might actually turn out edible!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
A fine sunday morning, eh? Don't sweat, travelwriter. ...it will come as naturally to you as driving a car...r.
Quote:
Don't give up...resulting in leathery chappaties and poories.
Old 13th March 2009, 16:16   #180
BHPian

Quote:
You have to remember one thing though - the commutative law of arithmetic (a+b = b+a) does not apply to cooking. One has to add the sooji to water to get upma (and not stir the concoction till the water has been completely absorbed), not water to sooji (and stir as vigorously as possible) as in Halwa!
Correctly stated! the water has to reach a boil before adding the sooji. This also gives a chance for the onions to cook and soften. Adding a bit of curds also helps in improving flavor and texture. Adding cashews takes the humble upma to a different level altogether,
But the BIGGEST flaw in the recipe? A south Indian dish without CURRY LEAVES NO WAY!

Ashish - Come to Pune more often if you want to partake; you're always welcome.

Last edited by vikram18 : 13th March 2009 at 16:20.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks