Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 14th November 2018, 18:25   #1786
BHPian

Re: Recipes / Discussions on cooking from Team-BHP Master Chefs

Friends & fish lovers -

I am a fish loving Bong. Many years back I first tasted the Atlantic Salmon while I was in the United States and have become a huge fan of the same since.

This is one fish that used to suit my bachelor lifestyle perfectly back then (and taste awesome too), as one could cook it very quickly either on the pan or just wrap it in a foil with some lemon wedges and throw it in the oven for 15 mins.

Problem is, in India, I have to spend a fortune to buy it from a very select few stores that keep it. By fortune, I mean between 2300 - 3000 rupees/kg.

Does anyone on here know where I can get my Salmon at a more reasonable rate, in Delhi? Any variety - Atlantic, Pacific and from any region, Alaska, Norway will do. But, the Indian Salmon (Rawas) will not do unfortunately.
Old 14th November 2018, 19:36   #1787

Re: The Veganism & Vegetarian Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by gkveda View Post
Thanks But, I am looking for the Pores as shown in the below image. This is exactly like Hotel Set Dosa, which I am not able to replicate at Home
Soak a tablespoon of fenugreek seeds with the rice for the batter and you will get these pores on the dosa if you spread it on the pan to be a bit thicker and not very thin/crispy. Hope this helps.
Old 15th November 2018, 10:36   #1788
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rovingeye View Post
Friends & fish lovers -

I am a fish loving Bong. Many years back I first tasted the Atlantic Salmon while I was in the United States and have become a huge fan of the same since.

This is one fish that used to suit my bachelor lifestyle perfectly back then (and taste awesome too), as one could cook it very quickly either on the pan or just wrap it in a foil with some lemon wedges and throw it in the oven for 15 mins.

Problem is, in India, I have to spend a fortune to buy it from a very select few stores that keep it. By fortune, I mean between 2300 - 3000 rupees/kg.
The thing about fish is that the fresher the better. What you will be getting in imported fish is at least a few months old frozen product. It is wiser to use fresh product from local market. There are a lot of fish available in India, both online and offline. In Delhi INA market is the goto for those who have no fish market nearby.

The following varieties are available easily and roast/fry well and are priced between Rs.1200/ and Rs.200/ per kilo - whole.

. White Pomfret
. Black Pomfret
. Roopchand
. Indian Halibut
. Red Snapper

I have used all and not only do they fry fast, but as you said wrapped in foil with a little oil and lemon come out divine in an oven.

You can also try Surmai or Sole which are excellent for "Cold Cooking" - just coat fillets with lemon juice and radish pieces and after half an hour they are ready. Mu Filipino colleagues had it this way.

Last edited by Aroy : 15th November 2018 at 10:53.
Old 15th November 2018, 13:03   #1789
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
The thing about fish is that the fresher the better. What you will be getting in imported fish is at least a few months old frozen product. It is wiser to use fresh product from local market. There are a lot of fish available in India, both online and offline. In Delhi INA market is the goto for those who have no fish market nearby.
Yep. Thanks!

I used to frequent INA and CR Park markets earlier but have lost steam for the last couple of years, ever since I discovered these guys - Freshtohome.

I get all of the fish you listed on this wonderful website and they deliver to the doorstep nice and fresh. But, I miss the Salmon!!

PS : The Surmai (or Seer fish) stinks up the kitchen unless you add lots of garlic etc while cooking. The other thing I do w/ the Surmai is to coat it with rawa (sooji) and fry it on a pan to give it a nice crisp outer coating.

Good to run into you Mr. Roy.
Old 15th November 2018, 13:23   #1790
Team-BHP Support

Burnt Garlic Fish : Seer. Rubbed with butter and stuffed with Garlic.
Recipes / Discussions on cooking from Team-BHP Master Chefs-211020180325886101007947013984401-copy.jpeg

Fish en Croute : Simply sealed inside pastry boneless Pomfret fillets with creamed spinach and baked.
Recipes / Discussions on cooking from Team-BHP Master Chefs-img_20180315_1239280101-copy.jpeg

Fish Baked in Parchment (En-Papillote) : Pomfret slices, sealed along with some vegetables inside parchment paper.
Recipes / Discussions on cooking from Team-BHP Master Chefs-img_20180117_1043060101-copy.jpeg

Snapper: Butter, salt and pepper.
Recipes / Discussions on cooking from Team-BHP Master Chefs-img_20180107_14383401.jpeg

Seer : Some spices ground up in an oven and then grilled in an oven.
Recipes / Discussions on cooking from Team-BHP Master Chefs-img_20170715_1407144314.jpg

If you feel that fish is smelly when you are cooking it there are just two or three reasons.
1. Fish is stale.
2. Old oil and / or wrong temperature of the stove.
3. Seer, which belongs to the Makeral family has a very delicate flavor that can become wrong when overcooked. Get a good digital thermometer. Its the best kitchen aid.
4. Invest in a good grill pan. Heavier the better.
Old 15th November 2018, 13:30   #1791
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rovingeye View Post
Yep. Thanks!

I used to frequent INA and CR Park markets earlier but have lost steam for the last couple of years, ever since I discovered these guys - Freshtohome.

I get all of the fish you listed on this wonderful website and they deliver to the doorstep nice and fresh. But, I miss the Salmon!!

PS : The Surmai (or Seer fish) stinks up the kitchen unless you add lots of garlic etc while cooking. The other thing I do w/ the Surmai is to coat it with rawa (sooji) and fry it on a pan to give it a nice crisp outer coating.

Good to run into you Mr. Roy.
Even I have been using Freshtohome for nearly two years, even though I live in C R Park, right next to the fish market. The reason is that usually the fish in the market has chemical preservatives, missing in Freshtohome products.

In case you are still smitten by Salmon, here a few links you may be interested in
https://www.indiamart.com/proddetail...493615455.html

https://www.fishvish.com/atlantic-salmon-fillet.html

http://www.fiskefresh.in/
Old 15th November 2018, 13:47   #1792
BHPian

Re: The Veganism & Vegetarian Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
This will happen when the batter is well fermented and a bit thick. Normally that happens when the batter is in the fridge for a couple of days after the batter is made.

We make the batter in 1:4 ratio of rice to dal and add half a tea spoon of methi. Just make sure that the rice is not ground extremely fine, it should feel a bit grainy. Interestingly, parboiled rice needs less soaking and grinding compared to normal rice.
Set Dosa can be made typically in about 2/3 days after you have made the batter. For the batter use Boiled Rice to Urad Dal in ratio 3:1. You need to soak both for about 8 to 10 hours, typically overnight before grinding. For grinding do the Urad first and it should be ground smooth as butter. And rice to be ground for about 10 - 15 mts in the grinder and should be coarse. Coarse is better for spreading. If you like fenugreek, go ahead and add it to rice while grinding. Personally i don't.

Batter needs to be set aside for at least 8 to 10 hours for good fermentation. More the natural heat its better. Batter will rise up nicely and it will start smelling of fermentation

Restaurants typically add baking soda and therefore you get better pores. Don't go by the number and nature of pores. If fermentation is right, place it in the refrigerator and after a couple of days, you can have really good set dosa. Also, for set dosa, i would suggest you spread the batter, pour oil and cover it with a lid for cooking. This will improve the pores

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 27th November 2018 at 10:00. Reason: Minor typo.
Old 25th November 2018, 12:52   #1793
BHPian

Any one here makes Ginger tea?

It is not our regular tea in which we put in a little ginger. This ginger tea has a color appearance of lighter shade of ginger - seemingly just ginger + water + something mildly citric + (optional) sweetener in the form of sugar/honey/syrup etc - Not too sure if there's anything else.

In Philadelphia, I used to frequent a Vietnamese food truck close to my workplace for their ginger tea. They only spoke Vietnamese so never could indulge in conversations with them to ask for recipe (guess they might not be willing to share even if there was no language barrier).

Have since tried many many times to make one, but its always been a disappointment.

If anyone here savors some good ginger tea and have a recipe to share, that would be awesome.
Old 27th November 2018, 08:36   #1794

Kind of related so thought best not to start a new thread:

I am looking for basic cooking classes reference in Pune (Viman Nagar, KP area) over weekends. A complete novice at this stage.

Any references please PM me.
Old 27th November 2018, 09:50   #1795
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kontinuity View Post
Kind of related so thought best not to start a new thread:

I am looking for basic cooking classes reference in Pune (Viman Nagar, KP area) over weekends. A complete novice at this stage.

Any references please PM me.
For basics you can try YouTube. There are hundreds of good videos for basic food stuff geared towards novices.
Old 27th November 2018, 12:29   #1796
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao View Post
Little trick to avoid lumpy upma without having superhuman stirring skills: add water last.

Add the roasted rawa/suji to the sauteed veggies/tadka first, give it a good mix and add boiling water last, enough to get the mixture to a loose paste consistency, then cook on low flame until it cooks and the consistency gets to prepared upma level (some tasting and additional water may be needed until you get a hang of proportions). Add one spoon of ghee to ensure the granules don't stick together, and the end result is fluffy.
like a Risotto, good tip sir, will try this tonight and see if this works out. On a slightly different note, how would this work if we are adding tomatoes to the mixture before adding water, would this not make it extra Soggy.

Secondly, I now this depends on taste, but can somebody tell me what is the right consistency for Upma?.

Should it be soggy or should it be crispy and fried?
Old 27th November 2018, 12:38   #1797
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shivshanker View Post
like a Risotto, good tip sir, will try this tonight and see if this works out. On a slightly different note, how would this work if we are adding tomatoes to the mixture before adding water, would this not make it extra Soggy.

Secondly, I now this depends on taste, but can somebody tell me what is the right consistency for Upma?.

Adding tomatoes is not a problem.

Ideal consistency is the Upma must be like a paste. It should not be too dry and definitely not crispy.

Also the upma absorbs water. So an upma which is like a paste will become hard and clunky after an hour or so. So if you want to eat it after a few hours, it will taste very different to how it would taste when hot. What I do in such cases is that I break down the upma into smaller clunks, sprinkle water so that it is moist(not wet) and put it in a microwave oven for 2 mins. You will not get the same consistency as the first time when hot. However, it will taste good.

Actually, the darshani/restaurant guys add a lot of unhealthy dalda/vanaspathi to upma to make it stay soft for a long time.
Old 17th January 2019, 15:23   #1798
BHPian

Which are the best and safe utensils for cooking?

As we discuss and share all kind of topics and knowledge under the sun in this wonderful forum, I thought of putting this query here.

We want to get rid of all non-stick or coated cooking pans, pots, etc and replace them with something safer.

Is going the stainless steel way a right thing to do? Or should we look at more exotic stuff like, copper and all. I heard copper and brass utensils will have some limitations plus additional maintenance.

Hence thinking of stainless steel.

In almost all 4/5 star hotels I see stainless steel pans and pots and also celebrity chefs can be seen using the same.

Which brand to go for if going for SS? There are multiple options on internet and in stores but I have no clue as to why there is a huge price difference (from 1k to 6k for same size pan).

Mods: Starting a new thread as I think this could be a question for many and the Gurus can share knowledge for common good.

If the topic not found worthy of a new thread, then please merge it with the "cooking" thread. Thanks!
Old 17th January 2019, 15:40   #1799
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Which are the best and safe utensils for cooking?

Safest are the clay pots or matka as they are called. They take longer to cook the food but maintain the nutrition levels of the vegetables and pulses. Added bonus is the food turns out to be flavorful.
Old 17th January 2019, 19:17   #1800
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by shivshanker View Post
l...how would this work if we are adding tomatoes to the mixture before adding water, would this not make it extra Soggy.
1. If adding tomatoes, use firm ones and don't cook them too much.
2. Hold off on the salt until after mixing in the suji so the moisture in the veggies doesn't separate much.

Quote:

Consistency varies, both by taste and how fine or coarse the suji is. I prefer large-grain coarse suji (called bansi rawa down South), but my mother uses the finer variety used for halwa/sheera/sajjige.

Whichever suji you use, adding in a spoon of ghee in the last stir ensures the end result is fluffy and light.

Eating-wise, I prefer upma I don't have to chew much, but my sister loves the crusty bits at the bottom of the pan

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 17th January 2019 at 19:19.

Most Viewed