Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 19th March 2009, 16:05   #196
BHPian

I am a very good cook, I cook everything in my tummy and I supply all the raw materials to the cooking area(tummy) through my mouth, nonstop, haha
Old 23rd March 2009, 16:59   #197
Senior - BHPian

Intersting topic - my wife would hate seeing this topic, because I find some reason or the other to occupy the kitchen on most weekends. Though I mostly cook South Indian stuff and by default Veg., even though have cooked earlier the likes of Egg Dosas which could put a typical shack to shame.

But the highlight of my cooking has to be my attempts in making stuff like "Pine Apple Biriyani", "Jackfruit Kuzhambu" (for North Indians Kuzhambu is something like a sambar but made without using Dal) and ofcourse how can I forget "Ripe Mango Kuzhambu", in both the cases you would feel the sweetness of the fruit in your tongue, just as you enjoy it would the effect of the fairly generous dose of chilly powder come in kicking to say "Better late than never".

Have made quite a few concotions like this both in solid and liquid state in my various experimental moods a few turned out well and some were quite bad.
Old 23rd March 2009, 17:09   #198
BHPian

I have been actively cooking from past 4 years. Bigtime into cooking nonveg-chicken on weekends to give company to OMR.
Old 23rd March 2009, 17:15   #199
Distinguished - BHPian

I'd like some tips and tricks from the Kerala boys on Stew. Ishtew. I'm not looking for a basic recipe, my stew's pretty good. I'm looking for special tips.

Thanks.
Old 23rd March 2009, 17:31   #200
Team-BHP Support

Though I am not a kerala boy, I do make chicken stew.
The below recipe is for 700gm chicken(also called the broiler)
1. Cut 7-8 medium sized onions, very fine
2. Use little oil. As little as possible, use a nonstick if available, and cook the onions till they start turning brown
3. Add everest meat masala, and slight amount of red chilli powder, and let onions turn brown
4. Add powdered cloves, mixed herbs like marjoram etc., and Elaichi. Add garlic powder if you like taste
4. Add chicken, and cook till tender with lid covered
5. Pur 250ml of Coconut milk(Canned milk available), and cook till it starts boiling with lid covered
6. Turn of the gas, and let it lie for 30 minutes
7. Reheat and eat
Old 23rd March 2009, 17:38   #201
Senior - BHPian

Did you get that from the Everest Masala packet ?
Old 23rd March 2009, 18:00   #202
Team-BHP Support

No, I did not. I was actually trying to make thai green curry chicken and ended up with something which tasted like chicken stew(since both are coconut gravy based).
You may find it hard to believe, but most of my recipies are experiments in mixing various sauces etc., in the traditional way of cooking.

sometimes I have ended up with disaster, but some have turned out to be good. Experimentation is always a good way to get to a nice recipe.

Sometimes I download recipies of the net, but it never tastes very good, because I believe unless you immerse yourself in the recipe, you can't make it good. And you can immerse yourself only if you experiment. Thats the Zen of cooking
tsk1979 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th June 2009, 12:00   #203
Team-BHP Support

My mom has decided to blog her cooking.
Albeit in Tamil.

So if you like Non Veg cooking, and can either read Tamil or get someone to read it for you.
Check out
Afshan's Kitchen

Almost all recipes have pics.
Old 30th June 2009, 12:04   #204
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
Albeit in Tamil.

bblost: drool stuff yaar, me missing the Chennai food real sourly.

Could you check if Mom would want an official taster and reviewer for her blog?
Old 30th June 2009, 12:12   #205
BHPian

Quote:
Albeit in Tamil.

Too..Bad its in Tamil. Would have reached a much larger audience if it was in English.

Can only drool at the pictures.
Old 30th June 2009, 13:07   #206
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Albeit in Tamil.

So if you like Non Veg cooking, and can either read Tamil or get someone to read it for you.
Check out
Afshan's Kitchen

Looks good, I can always experiment by substituting the meat portion with some vegetable. Will attempt this weekend and keep you posted.
Old 30th June 2009, 13:16   #207
BHPian

Tomato Base Grilled Chicken

Ok. Here's my recipe.

1 Chicken Skinned & Cut in Medium Size pieces
Curds half a cup
Ginger & Garlic Ground to a paste
Kashmiri Red Chillies (Soaked)
Tomato Ketchup (Heinz preferably)
1 Tomato finely chopped
Dhania Powder, Red chilli powder, Salt to taste
Oil (1-2 tbsp)

This what i do:
Marinate the Chicken by mixing the chicken, curd, ginger garlic paste, water of the kashmiri red chillies (2tbsp max but depending on your taste), 2 tbsp Tomato ketchup, tomato, spices & salt. Mix them up well. Keep this mixture (cling wrap this) in the refrigerator in the morning and you can cook this in the evening.

Take this mixture out, Heat a Non Stick Pan, Add Oil (you can even make this without oil, totally non fat) and put the marinade. Cook on slow flame for 30-35 min depending how well you want it cooked. Remember not to add more water, let the chicken cook in its own juice. Heat your grill, i usually use the inframatic. When its fully hot, put in the chicken and pour the gravy on the pieces. Let them sizzle till they're brown and keep on adding the leftover gravy. Remove it, serve it piping hot with pita bread, Garlic bread or Whole wheat/Multi grain Bread if you want to avoid calories. Also you can cook it earlier & grill it just before serving/eating.

If you want to save time, you can even cook the marinade in a pressure cooker & keep on slow flame for 5-7 min after the first whistle. Personally i don't like the pressure cooker version as the pieces don't stand firm.

Enjoy!

Last edited by anilkalvani : 30th June 2009 at 13:22. Reason: typos
Old 30th June 2009, 14:25   #208
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi View Post
I'd like some tips and tricks from the Kerala boys on Stew. Ishtew. ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
... 2. Use little oil. As little as possible, use a nonstick if available, and cook the onions till they start turning brown
3. Add everest meat masala, and slight amount of red chilli powder, and let onions turn brown
4. Add powdered cloves, mixed herbs like marjoram etc., and Elaichi. Add garlic powder if you like taste
4. Add chicken, and cook till tender with lid covered
One trick (traditional cooking) has been to dry roast the whole spices - cardamom, cloves, cinnamon, pepper, coriander, cummin - for a couple of minutes till one gets the spice aroma wafting out, crush them a bit and add it just after frying the chicken.

What worked best for me was to fry the chicken first (to seal the juices in the meat; if you want authentic Kerala-ishtyle - use a bit of good coconut oil), then the partly crushed spices and a bit of chopped garlic, then coarsely diced onions, then the diced vegetables (potatoes, carrots, beans, green chillies etc.; I've even found drumsticks and white pumpkin being used sometimes) and frying them till a nice aroma comes out of the veggies. Add a bit of turmeric, salt and jaggery, pour some water to just cover the solids, and simmer till the potatoes are done. Add the half the coconut milk and simmer till the gravy thickens; add the other half just before taking it off the heat and serving.

Other than the initial frying at high heat, stew calls for slow cooking with the lid on (that's what 'stewing' means). And no browned onions or red chilly powder - stew is supposed to be light-colored gravy. Yummmmm, best comfort food!
Old 30th June 2009, 18:18   #209
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
No, I did not. I was actually trying to make thai green curry chicken and ended up with something which tasted like chicken stew(since both are coconut gravy based).
You were trying to make Thai greeny curry chicken with Everest meat masala? I believe there is a completely different curry paste for thai curry along with a different recipe.
Old 30th June 2009, 20:11   #210
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Albeit in Tamil.

Check out
Afshan's Kitchen

cool!

my mom had the same idea and started a year ago. she puts them on youtube.

check it out guys: YouTube - lalisfoodstudio's Channel

photo/video-graphy by yours truly

Most Viewed