Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th February 2010, 08:44   #256
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitin View Post

Some people feel the spray has an artificial taste ( I guess its made of margarine in a liquified form) though I don't personally feel the same. The convenience is what weighs in, and unlike oil this doesn't drip when being used. Since margarine is low in cholestrol & saturated fatty acids, this should be on par with anything thats relatively healthy.

from the link posted earlier - it seemed it was using lecithin in some form - there was no mention of margarine. Lecithin being a soya derivative (there are other variants too), I am not sure what the oil really was in tht spray.
Old 26th February 2010, 11:46   #257
BHPian

Goodlord, how come I didn't see this thread for all this time. Nice to know that I share another hobby with fellow Tbhpians. Well I love food but I love cooking more. It all started when I left for higher studies to UK 7 years ago. All I was capable of making nice flavoured tea and a good tasting omlette. I still remember my first curry was Rajmah (red kidney beans) and result was horrible. It was all watery (looked no way nearer to gravy) with all the rajmah sunk in the bottom and all the Tarhka stuff like onion, garlic, ginger and tomatoes etc layered up on top. but I do admit, it only looked horrible. taste wasn't bad as I shared with my other two flatmates and they didn't compaint about taste. With time, it kept getting better and better. And now its my hobby. I never let any weekend go by without cooking. I have tried (and fed my friends on) chicken dishes, lamb/mutton dishes, seafood (fish, prawn and some bbq'ed baby octopus) and a variety of daals & veges too. I can proudly say my wife and all my friends love my cooking as I never received -ve feedback. would also share my favorite recipes here with you guys.

P.S. Guys I have seen in a photo, a member used Olive Pomace oil for his cooking. Please do not mistake it with olive oil. Technically its olive oil but taken out of left-overs after taking virgin olive oil and refined olive oil (2 different processes) with use of chemicals (hexan). Its no way nearer to OLIVE OIL. its just some left over cheap oil in pressed olives. Virgin olive oil or Extra virgin oil is the real olive oil with all its goodness.Source wikipedia and personal experience.

Last edited by Punzabi : 26th February 2010 at 11:48.
Old 26th February 2010, 16:42   #258
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
I had seen this stuff on a tv show. Been on the look out ever since.
Never seen it in any supermarket, but came across this on the Gati website.

Posted the question here as I would like to know how it is before I order it.
This looks really interesting. And looking at the price and all those promises (tall?!!) I think it may just be "the thing" even if half of it is true. The point is it a suitable replacement for regular cooking? How many times do we bake or even eat only omlette. So if it can completely replace the cooking oil in all sorts of cooking it may be of some value. Gotta get a can and check if this is really useful! Maybe I will team-up with someone and order multiple cans and also save on that attrocious shipping charge.
Old 4th April 2010, 19:26   #259
Team-BHP Support

Baking

Recipes / Discussions on cooking from Team-BHP Master Chefs-img119.jpg

I followed this recipe and baked it.
Whole Wheat Bread Recipe

It was very good.
The best part was the less amount of time needed from start to finish.
Old 4th April 2010, 20:09   #260
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
I followed this recipe and baked it.
Whole Wheat Bread Recipe

It was very good.
The best part was the less amount of time needed from start to finish.
Very inspiring.

Quote:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F place in center of oven and cook for about 40 minutes after 20 minutes loosely cover the pan with aluminum foil , test if the wheat bread is done by thumping the bottom of the bread it should sound hollow.
I am confused about the bold highlighted instruction. After cooking for 40 minutes in the oven, should we take it out and keep covered for 20 minutes?
Old 4th April 2010, 20:19   #261
Team-BHP Support

I baked for 40 mins.
Then opened the oven and covered it with bread with aluminium foil.
Baked for another 10 mins.

But I guess the original recipe means, to bake for 20 mins, then bake for another 20 mins with the aluminium foil covering.
Old 5th April 2010, 13:10   #262
Senior - BHPian

Ya. I do cook.

Have a full fledged Hotel Management degree and now working with a top MNC company into the catering business.

I guess that comes as a package....

Moreover, wife expectations have to be matched!!!
Old 5th April 2010, 13:49   #263
Senior - BHPian

Tangy Tomato!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitin View Post
If you get diced/canned tomatoes, boil them for a good 15 mins with some pepper and salt, and maybe some herbs (ideally rosemary & thyme). Chop some onions & garlic and sautee them for about 3-4 mins. Mix a little cornflour and get a rue going, slowly adding some water to build up a stock. Add the tomatoes in and let the whole thing boil. Keep checking the consistency, and when you get a deep red/brownish color, add some grated cheese (if you want the soup creamy).
I am salivating here - can you believe that I can smell your soup which is wafting across from the post?

A more convenient alternative which we follow to help cooking the tomatoes (the skin of the tomato doesn't get cooked - even after a long time). Cut the tomatoes into four and clear out the seeds inside (I feel that the seeds add to the sourness). Then put them in a mixie and whip them for a couple of seconds - adding water if needed. Now we really have a nice paste of tomatoes ready to be cooked! Works well for soups and rasam..

Too much cornflour will make the soup thick - so add it small quantities.
Old 5th April 2010, 18:52   #264
BHPian

Yes I cook, thats my second passion. and cook anything and everything.
Old 5th April 2010, 20:25   #265
BHPian

"YES I CAN COOK".
Infact I was a big hit as a chef in my previous US trip where, I actually made Gora Log eat some indian dishes.
Old 30th April 2010, 23:15   #266
BHPian

I make occasional visits to the kitchen to make Maggi, when no one else is around. Can't cook anything else.
Old 30th April 2010, 23:23   #267
BHPian

Hi Guys ,

I am a newbie with a passion to cook its really surprising to see so many petrolheads with passion for cooking.
I love Team-BHP
Old 1st May 2010, 01:33   #268
BHPian

Well ,
I will be finishing my Hotel management in About 1 month from now.
which means I am a Great Chef
Have learnt lots of dishes over 3 years.
Old 1st May 2010, 10:44   #269
Senior - BHPian

Necessity is the mother of all cooking

A few years ago, I was posted abroad. Our daughter was just about a year old then, so my wife was quite busy looking after her. To help my wife out, I started cooking. Now it's become a hobby. My wife joins in, cutting vegetables etc and my daughter is around to give "instructions" of her own, and so cooking is a fun activity that we do as a family.

Most of the time, I cook non-veg dishes. I haven't tried any recipes of my own. I stick to the recipes that I can find in books, magazines or the internet.
Old 2nd May 2010, 14:14   #270
lsp
BHPian

5 years ago when I went for my first onsite I didn't know a thing about cooking. Could make a decent tea though. As they say necessity is the mother of invention (and learning). Was deputed in a city which didn't even have 1 Indian restaurant.

Started to learn by myself looking at recipes online and talking to my mom on phone. Used to mail pics of my cooking to her to reassure her that her laadla beta was doing fine.

Recipes / Discussions on cooking from Team-BHP Master Chefs-tandoori.jpg

Recipes / Discussions on cooking from Team-BHP Master Chefs-gulabjamun.jpg

Recipes / Discussions on cooking from Team-BHP Master Chefs-naan.jpg

Recipes / Discussions on cooking from Team-BHP Master Chefs-pakoda.jpg

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks