Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd October 2010, 20:41   #391
Senior - BHPian

Looking for a good pasta/pizza sauce brand available at one of the big stores.
tried fun foods , tasted like crap. american garden is good, but looking for other options

2. Whats a good and easily available substitute for the chipotle southwest sauce they use at subway? Want to make my subs at home. Tried mayo + chilli sauce, tried thousand island dressing, tried cheese and chilli, still not there yet.

For both the above, I'm not looking at being authentically italian or mexican. I'm just trying to make cheap and tasty junk food at home
Old 25th October 2010, 10:00   #392
Senior - BHPian

This thread is absolutely awesome!

Thanks a lot @pjbiju for those awesome recipes. I don't really like the smell/taste of coconut in my food?

Does anyone have a quick short marinade recipe? I feel without using it, the spices don't really permeate into the chicken pieces. I have tried putting holes into them to allow the curry to flow through, but it still does not work as well as I would want.

Some easy to cook chicken recipes (spicy ones) would be really great! Thanks a lot guys.

@Wolfheart

How do you avoid that slight sweetish tinge with all the cashews etc. being used?
Old 25th October 2010, 10:30   #393
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajatsingh78 View Post
Guys - your help...suggest anything that I am not foreseeing here, or a better plan/advise
Rajat,

I see a couple of problem associated with your design, since the shape of the top part of your barbecue is going to be spherical:
  • It would be difficult to spread the coal in an even layer
  • The temperature would not be uniform at the top surface because of the shape. So you will have to take extra care while cooking.
You can make a better design and get it farbricated for probably the sme amount or less. I have also seen portable round barbecues that are quite good at the Junaa/Chor bazaar in Pune. If you have a similar market in your place, you might find something similar there.

Best of luck with your design and barbecue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EssYouWe View Post
This thread is absolutely awesome!

Thanks a lot @pjbiju for those awesome recipes. I don't really like the smell/taste of coconut in my food?

Does anyone have a quick short marinade recipe? I feel without using it, the spices don't really permeate into the chicken pieces. I have tried putting holes into them to allow the curry to flow through, but it still does not work as well as I would want.

Some easy to cook chicken recipes (spicy ones) would be really great! Thanks a lot guys.

@Wolfheart

How do you avoid that slight sweetish tinge with all the cashews etc. being used?
Thank you.

When you roast whole chicken, they will not be very spicy inside once you carve the pieces. So you need to create a good sauce to use with the carved pieces. But a couple of things can help: 1) Use birds with less weight. 2) Make some cuts to let the masala penetrate better.

Butter chicken will always have some sweetness because of the cream and cashew paste used. You can avoid the cashew paste and add more cream. You can add some whole cloves, black pepper or split green chillies etc. to add some zest to the dish, but the taste would be slightly different.

-Biju

Last edited by pjbiju : 25th October 2010 at 10:38.
Old 25th October 2010, 11:12   #394
Senior - BHPian

Barbecue Design

@Rajat
Please take a look at the CAD model I have created. You can use a square or round design and keep a wire mesh on top. Also add handles. This should give you the basic idea of the barbecue design and should be within your budget.

Name:  barbecue.png
Views: 741
Size:  240.7 KB

@Moderators
Sorry for the back to back post. I had to take a break before I could create the CAD model of the barbecue. Hence the delay.

Last edited by pjbiju : 25th October 2010 at 11:17.
Old 25th October 2010, 11:37   #395
BHPian

Biju is right and the design is apt. we did the same with an old 'oil' drum. cut the drum in half, cut a square opening on the side for air and to move the coal. made a few 1" holes closer to the grill level, had a nice grill for the top, that was 8-10" above the heat, infact we had it adjusted where the grill could go a lil up or down, depending on the heat. i used to put a few wet wood pieces for extra smoke. the whole contraption worked up to 700/- including a metal make- shift stand to keep the bottom off the ground (so we could use it on a terrace) it lasted for a while untill it rusted out completely, the next one will be done a lil more professionally
Old 25th October 2010, 13:54   #396
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by EssYouWe View Post
@Wolfheart

My recipe will end up giving you a sweetish (sugar) and tangy(tomato puree) taste. Butter chicken always has an underlying sweet taste, though it may not be noticeable.

Cashew and cream will not sweeten the dish but give it a rich flavor and consistency. However you can skip the sugar, add some more red chilli powder to do away with the sweetness. You can also reduce the ratio of the tomato puree if you don't want it tangy.

Hope that's helpful.
Old 25th October 2010, 16:49   #397
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExtremeTorque View Post
Short cut to a dish native to Karnataka - Bisi Bale Bhath
Till a few years ago. Shanbagh at Panjagutta used to serve the best Bisebele Bhath in Hyderabad. Not sure how it tastes now

However, my mom cooks the best BBB right at home
Old 25th October 2010, 17:51   #398
BHPian

@ Biju

The fish curry recipe and pictures make my mouth water everytime I see your posts. Will try them at home.

I still have to explore cuisine from Kerala. I understand that being a coastal state there are many seafood recipes. However I've also heard that you get spicy rabbit, mutton and beef curry and stew in many parts. Would love to get those recipes.
Old 25th October 2010, 21:17   #399
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfheart View Post
@ Biju

The fish curry recipe and pictures make my mouth water everytime I see your posts. Will try them at home.

I still have to explore cuisine from Kerala. I understand that being a coastal state there are many seafood recipes. However I've also heard that you get spicy rabbit, mutton and beef curry and stew in many parts. Would love to get those recipes.
Thanks Wolfheart.

You are right about the seafood. Many a Keralite cannot think of a meal without an accompaniment of a fish dish. In most of the hotels, the regular Thali is the fish thali. I grew up eating fish and also fishing fresh water fish during our summer vacation.

And then you can get a variety of other stuff like duck (duck roast, duck mappas), quail (fry, roast) and of course beef (roast, fry, masala, curry, chilly etc.) and pork. Rabbits are not so common in the restaurants, but are available in markets. Mutton is also not so common. Stews and appam is a heavenly combination. Next time I make that at home, I will try to post the recipes.

-Biju
Old 26th October 2010, 11:23   #400
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajatsingh78 View Post
Guys - your help...suggest anything that I am not foreseeing here, or a better plan/advise
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnda View Post
.... it lasted for a while untill it rusted out completely, the next one will be done a lil more professionally
It's worth taking the terracotta route! Use flower pots or planters. They all have a hole at the bottom (will let in air).
All you need is sturdy grates at the correct heights and you're good to go!
Source of heat can be an electric burner/heater, gas fired burner or coke.
Gas burners with lava rock and wood chips for smoke/flavour are the best!

Check this out: http://bbq.about.com/od/grillinghelp/ss/aa050907a.htm

Last edited by anupmathur : 26th October 2010 at 11:42.
Old 27th October 2010, 13:57   #401
BHPian

Guys,

Though the autocad design suggestion was awesome but I wanted to improve mine first and so here is the improved design,

There will be couple of iron rods that will be placed just above the base of the taslaa to provide a horizontal base for the coal, like this the coal will be evenly spread and will eliminate the need of an ash collector,

there will be holes all around the circumference of the taslaa below the iron rods where the coal will be kept for air circulation.

Benefits I see here -

1. Coal will be spread evenly
2. No separate ash collector
3. Just remove the iron grill and dispose off the ash, put the grill back and place more coal

I am now thinking on how to make a kind of rack that can be used to move the actuall grill (on which chicken etc. would be cooked) up and down

Any further comments/suggestions will be highly appreciated.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pjbiju View Post
Rajat,

I see a couple of problem associated with your design, since the shape of the top part of your barbecue is going to be spherical:
  • It would be difficult to spread the coal in an even layer
  • The temperature would not be uniform at the top surface because of the shape. So you will have to take extra care while cooking.
You can make a better design and get it farbricated for probably the sme amount or less. I have also seen portable round barbecues that are quite good at the Junaa/Chor bazaar in Pune. If you have a similar market in your place, you might find something similar there.

Best of luck with your design and barbecue.

Thank you.

Sir, I want to make it out of metal because of strength and durability, even with 600-700 bucks I want this to last atleast for 6 months
Quote:
Originally Posted by anupmathur View Post
It's worth taking the terracotta route! Use flower pots or planters. They all have a hole at the bottom (will let in air).
All you need is sturdy grates at the correct heights and you're good to go!
Source of heat can be an electric burner/heater, gas fired burner or coke.
Gas burners with lava rock and wood chips for smoke/flavour are the best!

Check this out: http://bbq.about.com/od/grillinghelp/ss/aa050907a.htm
Attached Images

Last edited by rajatsingh78 : 27th October 2010 at 14:00.
Old 28th October 2010, 02:40   #402
Senior - BHPian

I had the opportunity to watch the great GORDON RAMSEY in India for the show Gordons Great Escape. He is amazing and has chosen to go places where none of us venture usually!!

He is on a venture to find the way indian curry is made and so he decides on taking a route away from the traditional touristy route. Its just 3 episodes but worth a watch.

Some places visitied:
Jodhpur(Food cooked in the desert)
Kolkata(Street food and replicating north east cuisine)
Nagaland(Deer meat)
Kerala(Kari meen and Toddy and chilly beef and Kambala)
Tamil Nadu(Sadgurus Ashram)
Ends with Dharavi(Sambar manis food)

Give it a watch. For Auto lovers there is a Morris Minor and Bullet
Old 29th October 2010, 12:18   #403
BHPian

Guys, final design and implementation started,

Part No.1 - Will be a circular sheet of metal 1 inch wide and with the circumference slightly less then the base (Part No.3)
Part No.2 - Will be same as Part No.1 but 2 inch wide

These parts will be to adjust the height of the grill (Part No. 5)
Part No.3 - Is the dear old taslaa (bought for 75 bucks), its diameter is 16 inch
Part No.4 - will be the most important part, it will be cylindrical in shape with holes all across the circumference and will be heavier then rest of the parts to provide stability, but not too heavy else it will topple over the stand
Part No.5 - will be a food grade grill, trying to source a spare microwave grill from a shop (will cost around 200-250) or get it made from a stainless steel fabricator

Part No.6 - is the stand, which will be done after quite sometime because for now this will placed on a raised platform.

I am thinking to start a different thread on this providing step by step details, but don't know whether the mods will allow this,
Attached Images

Old 29th October 2010, 14:00   #404
BHPian

maddy, thanks for posting that youtube link. i had no idea gordon had visited india. i really enjoyed those 10 minutes. i'll be sure to look up the other parts.

on a side note, where exactly is the "moti mahal" in delhi?
Old 29th October 2010, 14:48   #405
BHPian

Moti Mahal is a renowned authentic peshawari cum north indian food restaurant chain, check this link for more details.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fantasy View Post
maddy, thanks for posting that Youtube link. i had no idea gordon had visited india. i really enjoyed those 10 minutes. i'll be sure to look up the other parts.

on a side note, where exactly is the "moti mahal" in delhi?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks