Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th May 2011, 17:00   #541
BHPian

re: Recipes / Discussions on cooking from Team-BHP Master Chefs

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjbiju View Post
I have never made egg cutlets. It would be good if you can share the recipe - one chef learning from another.

Another great alternative to breadcrumbs is cornflakes, especially when making cutlets of already cooked ingredients (like in my fish cutlet recipe). Take the regular cornflakes and slightly crush them to make smaller pieces. Coat the cutlets with the cornflakes instead of bread crumbs and deep fry them. The cornflakes will make the cutlets very crunchy when you bite into them.
Try adding some soya chunks (Nutrela) - finely chopped. Also, your recipe will taste good with mutton
Old 9th May 2011, 17:09   #542
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I have never made egg cutlets. It would be good if you can share the recipe - one chef learning from another.

Another great alternative to breadcrumbs is cornflakes, especially when making cutlets of already cooked ingredients (like in my fish cutlet recipe). Take the regular cornflakes and slightly crush them to make smaller pieces. Coat the cutlets with the cornflakes instead of bread crumbs and deep fry them. The cornflakes will make the cutlets very crunchy when you bite into them.
I have to admit that it is nothing much - Sauted the onions, green chilli, ginger and added 5 eggs to that when onion turned translucent, and made egg burji. I mixed this with the mash potatoes instead of fish, and followed rest of your recipe. And yeah, before i forget, insted of bread crumbs, i used rusk. I crushed the rusk and used them instead of bread crumbs, but I think both are almost same.
Old 9th May 2011, 17:47   #543
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theexperthand View Post
I have to admit that it is nothing much - Sauted the onions, green chilli, ginger and added 5 eggs to that when onion turned translucent, and made egg burji. I mixed this with the mash potatoes instead of fish, and followed rest of your recipe. And yeah, before i forget, insted of bread crumbs, i used rusk. I crushed the rusk and used them instead of bread crumbs, but I think both are almost same.
Thanks for the details. I had made a guess.

Yes, we can use toast (milk toast/rusk) to make the breadcrumbs. Put the rusk pieces in a dry grinder to make the rusk powder. We can also rub two rusk pieces against each other to break them down into a powder form.

If we make breadcrumbs with white bread slices, then they can be fried to a perfectly golden color. If we use brown bread or rusk, then they will be of darker color by the time the cutlets are cooked (like in my chicken cutlet recipe where I mixed white and brown bread slices to make the breadcrumbs).
Old 11th May 2011, 18:21   #544
Senior - BHPian

Spicy & Sour Onion Salad

Quote:
...Serve hot with onion salad (will post the recipe of the onion salad later).
Here is the recipe of the onion salad that should accompany the chicken cutlets (any cutlet for that matter) of post No. 538.

Recipes / Discussions on cooking from Team-BHP Master Chefs-onion_salad.jpg

This is a very simple salad famous in some parts of Kerala, India. Locally this is known as sarlas Name:  sarlas.png
Views: 1424
Size:  472 Bytes. It is also known as sallas (സള്ളാസ്) in other places. This goes very well with items like cutlets, fish fry etc. There are also variations to this. There is one variation which uses coconut milk. I will post that sometime later when we make them at home.

I prepared this last weekend to go along with the chicken tikka that I had made.

Ingredients
  • 2 large onions thinly sliced lengthwise
  • 2 green chillies finely chopped
  • 1 large tomato chopped into very small pieces
  • 2 tbsp of vinegar
  • 2 tbsp of salt
  • A pinch of black pepper powder (optional)
Method
  • In a bowl take the sliced onions and add the salt.
  • Using your hands mix the onions and salt well and start squeezing the onion. Continue this for a few minutes, till the onions become crushed and the onion juices have come out
  • Now squeeze dry the onion and transfer it to another bowl. Discard the water.
  • Add the green chillies, tomato and the vinegar and mix everything well
  • Add a pinch of black pepper powder (optional)
  • Usually no more salt needs to be added. Taste and add salt if needed.
Serve this with cutlets, fish fry etc.

Recipes / Discussions on cooking from Team-BHP Master Chefs-onion_salad1.jpg

Last edited by pjbiju : 11th May 2011 at 18:29.
pjbiju is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st August 2011, 15:39   #545
Senior - BHPian

Guys, i had prepared Apollo Fish for lunch yesterday and it had turned out awesome....

Will share the recipe soon.
Old 13th August 2011, 20:05   #546
Team-BHP Support

Home Alone, I decided to cook something for my Iftar.

Picked up a lovely Pomfret from Spar Supermarket. Had it cleaned but not sliced.

Brought her home and prepared my own marinade.
Was seriously tempted to check online and find a recipe. But decided to let my heart rule over.

Lemon Juice, Vinegar, Virgin Olive Oil, Finely chopped garlic and green chillies, some ground pepper.

Let the fish sit in this for some time in the fridge.

Sometime became a good 4 hours.

Cooked it in the grill for close to an hour at 180 degrees.

Loved the mild flavour of garlic and the sudden sting of the chilly between bites of the fish.

Recipes / Discussions on cooking from Team-BHP Master Chefs-img014.jpg

Recipes / Discussions on cooking from Team-BHP Master Chefs-img016.jpg
Old 14th August 2011, 11:52   #547
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
Home Alone, I decided to cook something for my Iftar.

Picked up a lovely Pomfret from Spar Supermarket. Had it cleaned but not sliced.

Brought her home and prepared my own marinade.
Was seriously tempted to check online and find a recipe. But decided to let my heart rule over.

Lemon Juice, Vinegar, Virgin Olive Oil, Finely chopped garlic and green chillies, some ground pepper.

Let the fish sit in this for some time in the fridge.

Sometime became a good 4 hours.

Cooked it in the grill for close to an hour at 180 degrees.

Loved the mild flavour of garlic and the sudden sting of the chilly between bites of the fish.

Attachment 592360

Attachment 592361
Excellent results.

You can also do it in microwave if you like the "melt in the mouth" consistency.
- Make finer cuts a lesser intervals.
- Make a paste of your marinate
- leave it in the fridge for as long as you can (max 2 days, min 1 hour)
- Put the fish in a covered microwave proof dish (I use the Coning bowl with lid)
- Microwave at 1/2 the power (If max is 800, use 400), for 20-30min.

If you like taste of mustard oil, then the marinade can be just mustard oil and salt with a few herbs to your taste. The fish will expel a lot of water which (along with the marinade) makes an excellent accompaniment with rice.
Aroy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th August 2011, 16:54   #548
Senior - BHPian

Egg Roast and Palappam (Kerala Special)

Posting here something after a long while. Thanks to Latheesh for reminding me about this thread.

Recipes / Discussions on cooking from Team-BHP Master Chefs-p1030999.jpg

Egg Roast is a famous Kerala egg dish. It is usually a bit on the spicier side and enjoyed with palappam or porottas (Malabar Paratha) or chappatis.

Ingredients
  • 4 hard boiled eggs
  • 4 large onions sliced very thinly
  • 1 tbsp of ginger-garlic paste, coarsely ground
  • 1 large tomato finely chopped after removing the skin by blanching the tomato in boiling water for a few seconds. Use ripe tomatoes so that they are not sour.
  • 1½ tsp of coriander powder
  • 1½ tsp of Kashmiri chilly powder
  • 1 tsp of garam masala (Grind 1” piece of cinnamon, ½ tsp of aniseed, 3 cloves, 2 pods of green cardamom to make the garam masala)
  • 1 tsp of black pepper powder (reduce this amount if you want a less intense flavour of the black pepper)
  • 4 table spoons of vegetable oil + 1 tbsp of vegetable oil
  • 1 sprig of curry leaves
  • Salt as required
  • ½ cup of water
Method
  • Take a kadai and heat the oil
  • Once the oil is hot, add the ginger garlic paste and sauté it for a couple of minutes on low flame
  • Add the sliced onions and sauté the onions till they turn golden brown (slightly on the darker side)
  • Move the onions to one side of the pan and add a little more oil if needed, so that there is sufficient oil in the center of the kadai. There should be at least 1 tbsp of oil at the center of the kadai
  • Mix the masala powders into a thick paste by adding a little water
  • Add the masala powder mix to the oil and sauté the masala for a minute
  • Now mix together the onions and sauté everything for a couple of minutes more
  • Add the curry leaves and then the tomato
  • Sauté on medium heat till the oil seperates. This could take a few minutes.
  • Add the water a little at a time, so that you have a thick gravy.
  • Add salt as per need
  • Add the boiled eggs after putting gashes on the eggs
  • Cover and cook for 2 minutes
Serve with palappam, Kerala porotta (Malabar Paratha) or chappati.

Recipes / Discussions on cooking from Team-BHP Master Chefs-p1040002.jpg
Egg roast with palappam.

Thanks to my wife for making the palappams. She made palappams and chicken masala for us (my son and me) and I made the egg roast for her.

-Biju

Last edited by pjbiju : 16th August 2011 at 16:58.
pjbiju is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st August 2011, 17:19   #549
Team-BHP Support

At a supermarket, I found whole Vanilla pods.

Bought it.
Now wondering what to do with them.

I guess I can take the seeds and use it in custards etc.

Can I directly add it to cold milk and make it into a milkshake?
Old 21st August 2011, 23:16   #550
Senior - BHPian

It is pod pulp that has the flavor, not the seeds. You need the slit the pod length wise and scrape the pulp out.

Making custard or ice cream would use all the pulp that comes out. For a milk shake you need tiny bit - roughly a fingernail's worth. If making custard or ice-cream, use both the pulp as well as the pod while boiling the milk. Remove the pod after the milk cools.
Old 21st August 2011, 23:19   #551
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
For a milk shake you need tiny bit - roughly a fingernail's worth.
So I can add about a fingernail worth to cold milk. Add some sugar. Mix it up using a hand blender.

Would that work.
Old 21st August 2011, 23:32   #552
Senior - BHPian

No, you need to boil the milk with the pulp, otherwise the flavor will not be distributed evenly. Or boil it in a cupful of milk, making sure the pulp has been assimilated, and then add this to the rest of the milk.
Old 30th August 2011, 20:39   #553
Senior - BHPian

Clear Seafood Soup

Recipes / Discussions on cooking from Team-BHP Master Chefs-seafood_soup2.jpg

Ingredients
  • 2 cups of fish stock (see my note below on how to prepare this)
  • 1 tsp of finely chopped garlic cloves
  • ½ tsp finely chopped ginger
  • ¼ tsp of white pepper powder (use black pepper powder if you do not have white pepper powder)
  • 1 tsp of cornstarch mixed with 4 tbsp of fish stock (add more cornstarch if you need a thicker soup)
  • Salt as per need
  • ½ tsp mixed italian herbs (optional)
  • ½ cup of seafood and vegetables (boneless fish pieces, prawns cut into small pieces, shredded onion etc.)
  • 1 tsp of salted butter (Amul Butter)
Method
  • Take a sauce pan and melt the butter on low heat
  • Add the chopped garlic and ginger. Sauté this for a minute (do not let it brown)
  • Add the fish stock, pepper powder and the mixed Italian herbs
  • Add the cornstarch. Bring the mixture to a boil and let it boil for a minute and then lower the flame and let it cook for 4-5 minutes
  • Add salt and the solid seafood and vegetables.
  • Serve hot
Recipes / Discussions on cooking from Team-BHP Master Chefs-seafood_soup1.jpg

Important Note
When you make any kind of soup, the stock is the most important ingredient. If you make a good stock, you can make a great soup.

Making of the fish stock.
When you buy fish, plan beforehand if you are planning to make fish stock or not. The fish with firm flesh and large bones like black pomfret, king fish, Indian Salmon, Silver/White pomfret etc. are very good for making the fish stock. Use the portions around the center bone (which is generally discarded if you make boneless fish fillets) and small pieces of fish like the tail end etc. to make the stock.

Prawns Stock
When you buy fresh prawns, use the cleaned shells of the prawns (after discarding the head portion) instead of fish to make the stock. Clean the shells thoroughly and then follow the same method. The shells will substitute the fish pieces in this case. You will definitely have some scum formation in this case which needs to be removed periodically. Use this stock again for making soups or for adding to prawns recipes instead of water. You can also add a little of this stock when making prawns biriyani or prawns fried rice to get a richer flavour.

Ingredients
  • 2 litres of water.
  • Fish pieces (mostly bones with some small pieces of fleshy portions of fish) - should be at least 250 gms or more
  • Take two onions and quarter them
  • Take a large carrot, clean and cut them into big pieces
  • ½ tsp of white pepper powder
  • Salt as per need
Method
  • Boil the water, add the fish pieces and reduce the flame to low. Let it simmer for a while. Scoop out any scum that may come to the top. If you clean the fish bones/pieces thoroughly you may not see any scum.
  • After about 15 minutes, add the onions, carrots, pepper powder and salt.
  • Let it simmer for about 45 minutes more
  • Take the pan off the stove and strain the liquid into another vessel
  • Gather all the onions (will be very soft by now) and the carrot pieces and also the fish pieces.
  • Remove as much of flesh as possible from the fish pieces/bones
  • Cut the carrots into smaller pieces. Store these in the freezer to be used when making soups.
  • Once the strained liquid has cooled, freeze it. You could convert them into ice cubes and store them in a container so that it becomes easy to use it later.
  • The stock and fish pieces thus stored can be used whenever you need it and it can be kept in the freezer for a couple of months at least.
-Enjoy
-Biju

Last edited by pjbiju : 30th August 2011 at 20:52.
Old 30th August 2011, 21:25   #554
Senior - BHPian

Grilled Prawns with lemon butter sauce

Who does not love grilled prawns? They are simple to make and taste heavenly. I made two varieties today - one a slightly spicy one and the other a more delicately flavoured one.

The delicately flavoured one soaking in the marinade
Recipes / Discussions on cooking from Team-BHP Master Chefs-prawns_marinade1.jpg

Ingredients
  • 6-8 large prawns cleaned thoroughly but without removing the shells. Cut open the shells along the back of the prawn to remove the vein and also to help the marinade to get into the flesh
  • 1 tbsp of finely chopped garlic (garlic is the strong flovour in this one)
  • 2 tbsp of olive oil
  • 1 tbsp of french mustard paste. If you cannot get this, make a paste of the mustard at home with a little water and use this
  • 2 tbsp of chopped coriander leaves or parsley leaves
  • ½ tsp of white pepper powder (use black if you do not have white pepper powder)
  • Salt as per need
  • 1 tbsp of lime juice
Mix together the ingredients and add the lemon juice at the end. Apply this mix on the prawns and gently push the marinade under the shells too. Let this marinate for an hour in the refrigerator.

The spicier one
Recipes / Discussions on cooking from Team-BHP Master Chefs-prawns_marinade2.jpg

Ingredients
  • 6-8 large prawns cleaned thoroughly but without removing the shells. Cut open the shells along the back of the prawn to remove the vein and also to help the marinade to get into the flesh
  • 1 tbsp of ginger garlic paste
  • 1 tbsp of Kashmiri chilly powder
  • 2 tbsps of vinegar made from toddy
  • ½ tsp of white pepper powder (use black if you do not have white pepper powder)
  • Salt as per need
Mix together the ingredients. Apply this mix on the prawns and gently push the marinade under the shells too. Let this marinate for an hour in the refrigerator.

Grilling
  • Grill the prawns on either side for 2-3 minutes each. Apply the extra marinade as you grill them. You can use a coal grill or use a normal tawa/griddle after applying a little bit of oil on it.
  • If you are doing it on a tawa or griddle, once the prawns are grilled, arrange them on a wire mesh/rack and hold them over the flame for a few seconds. This will give it a sligtly smoky flavour. This is not required if you are using a coal grill.
Do not overgrill the prawns since that would make it very dry and rubbery.

The finished product - the garlic flavoured one
Recipes / Discussions on cooking from Team-BHP Master Chefs-grilled_prawns1a.jpg

The spicy one
Recipes / Discussions on cooking from Team-BHP Master Chefs-grilled_prawns2a.jpg

Garlic Flavoured one
Recipes / Discussions on cooking from Team-BHP Master Chefs-grilled_prawns1.jpg

Spicy one
Recipes / Discussions on cooking from Team-BHP Master Chefs-grilled_prawns2.jpg

Sever with lemon butter sauce

To make the lemon butter sauce

Ingredients
  • 1 tbsp of butter (Amul butter)
  • 4 tbsp of fresh thick cream
  • 1 tsp of lemon juice or more as per your taste
  • A little bit of cornstarch
  • A little bit of white pepper powder
  • A little bit of italian seasoning (optional)
Method
  • Melt the butter on low heat
  • Add the fresh cream to the butter and keep stirring till everything is blended well
  • Add a little bit of cornstarch and cook for a couple of minutes
  • Add the lemon juice, white pepper powder and Italian seasoning. Keep stirring all the while.
  • Serve warm with the grilled prawns as a dipping sauce.
This was our lunch starters for today.

-Biju

Last edited by pjbiju : 30th August 2011 at 21:43.
pjbiju is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st August 2011, 00:39   #555
BHPian

@ Biju

Man, that's not fair. I am salivating here and you are having prawns? Yes, who on earth does not love grilled prawns?

I cannot for the life of me cook anything else other than noodles! And now it's 00:36 in my watch; no maggi packets and entry banned to the kitchen (I am in a PG and salivating like a dog). Tell me what do I do now? Your prawns man...Not fair really!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks