Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 8th December 2012, 21:25   #781
Senior - BHPian

re: Recipes / Discussions on cooking from Team-BHP Master Chefs

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohanjf View Post
... but the ones sold in Total Mall are brown. So they need to be soaked in hot water and peeled (like almonds) I guess. ...
No, shell cracked and the kernel extracted - the kernel is white. What you have seen is chilgoza, the Indian variety. You can try peeled almonds or charmaghaz instead (peeled pumpkin or gourd seeds). Cashew imparts a sweet flavor, which doesn't go well in pesto.

Also, use green chillies instead of peppercorns.

Quote:
Originally Posted by archat68 View Post
... can I use fresh Indian Tulsi leaves or shall I use the dried basil?
No, neither. Tulsi has a different flavor, and dried basil doesn't go well in pesto (you wouldn't get the color). Parsley works, but has a different flavor. I am sure you can get fresh Basil if you ask around - it is called ban tulsi in Hindi.
Old 10th December 2012, 12:24   #782
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohanjf View Post
... Next time I'm going to sun-dry some tomatoes (by cutting them in half and rubbing salt on them and drying) and try pesto with that.
Pesto with sun-dried tomatoes tastes great.

But, don't apply salt on the tomatoes if you want to dry them - the flavor will go away. Instead, alternate between putting in the sun and freezer if you want the tomatoes to dry faster.
Old 11th December 2012, 07:04   #783
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
.... Instead, alternate between putting in the sun and freezer if you want the tomatoes to dry faster.
A much quicker and cleaner way to achieve the same result is to slow bake/roast them at about 60°C. This will take 12 hours or more; depends on the size of the tomatoes and the amount of 'water content' in them.
Old 11th December 2012, 12:01   #784
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anupmathur View Post
A much quicker and cleaner way to achieve the same ...
Thank you Mathur-sab - must try it some time.

But then, sunlight is free - so wouldn't it be cheaper to buy a packet of sun-dried tomatoes than to run the oven for 12+ hours at 60degC?
Old 12th December 2012, 06:46   #785
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
.... - so wouldn't it be cheaper to buy a packet of sun-dried tomatoes than to run the oven for 12+ hours at 60degC?
There is far too much atmospheric pollution in our metros to feel safe about sun drying things! Day in and day out.... for how many days?
And you really need to tend to the process, moving it in every night (to protect from dew and possible rain) and remembering to put it out in the sun the following day!

Nah, I'd rather use the oven. It stays cut-off most of the time anyway! Sixty is not terribly hot.
Ask me, I'm sixty one!
Old 12th December 2012, 17:09   #786
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anupmathur View Post
There is far too much atmospheric pollution in our metros to feel safe about sun drying things! ...
That is why I said it is better to buy sun-dried tomatoes.
Old 12th December 2012, 21:49   #787
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
That is why I said it is better to buy sun-dried tomatoes.
I wonder where they dry them.
In ovens, maybe?
Old 14th December 2012, 14:41   #788
Senior - BHPian

Coriander flavored Chilly Pesto. Or, why don't we get consistently pungent chillies?

Had a bunch of fresh coriander lying around, so made Coriander Chutney. Fresh green Coriander leaves, chillies, salt, lemon juice - simple. Pesto, because I added a bit of EV Olive Oil while grinding! I love this (sometimes with garlic and mint leaves added) as a spread on bread (Mumbai 'chutney sandwich'). But, it all went Pete Tong because ...

I had tested a new batch of green chillies last Sunday, and the ones I used were rather mild. So, I used a higher than normal quantity in the chutney. Unfortunately, some of the green chillies that I picked today from that lot were hotter than usual. "Remember tomorrow" kind of hot!

Why is it that, with all the research that has gone into agriculture in the last few decades, we are unable to get consistent and predictable pungency in green chillies of any variety?
Old 18th December 2012, 15:42   #789
Senior - BHPian

Re: Coriander flavored Chilly Pesto. Or, why don't we get consistently pungent chilli

Quote:
Why is it that, with all the research that has gone into agriculture in the last few decades, we are unable to get consistent and predictable pungency in green chillies of any variety?
No scientific thing to this, but my observation has been that chillies are generally hotter in winter months. The smaller and darker, the hotter they are. You can also try to smell them by breaking them open before chopping/ grinding them. After trying this a few times one gets the hang of how to know which ones are hotter!
Old 18th December 2012, 15:59   #790
Senior - BHPian

Re: Coriander flavored Chilly Pesto. Or, why don't we get consistently pungent chilli

Quote:
Originally Posted by selfdrive View Post
No scientific thing to this, ...
True. I usually bite the tip to get an idea about the sharpness. The variation is too for that method to be reliable - invariably causing problem in the end product. Wish there was a portable meter that one could poke into a chilly and get a reading!
Old 21st December 2012, 16:26   #791
BHPian

hi folks, wondering if anyone here has used/ or aware of the website seatofood.com . These people fly down fresh sea food directly from the fishing landing sites of Kerala to your homes (in select Indian cities).

They have begun operations to Bangalore this month. Friends have recommended it and I placed my first order today. Will give feedback on the freshness/quality/ packaging when I get it tomorrow.

Here is an article on the company, which had appeared a few months ago -- http://forbesindia.com/article/break...avings/33410/1
Old 21st December 2012, 18:15   #792
BHPian

correction to my earlier post - the website is seatohome.com (and NOT seatofood.com)
Old 31st December 2012, 11:02   #793
Team-BHP Support

Mutton Fry.

2 inch squares of meat.
Marinate for half an hour in Ginger Garlic Past, Turmeric, Salt and some vinegar.

Add some water and pressure cook till meat is tender.

In a large frying dish, fry some Onions, Curry Leaves and Large Red Chilles till they are sweet and browning.
Add the meat. Cook till meat is browning up or you lose patience.

Enjoy!.
Old 31st December 2012, 11:17   #794
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
Mutton Fry.

2 inch squares of meat.
Marinate for half an hour in Ginger Garlic Past, Turmeric, Salt and some vinegar.

Add some water and pressure cook till meat is tender.

In a large frying dish, fry some Onions, Curry Leaves and Large Red Chilles till they are sweet and browning.
Add the meat. Cook till meat is browning up or you lose patience.

Enjoy!.
No Salt or curry powder or ginger garlic paste to the onions, curry leaves and red chillies being fried separately?
Old 31st December 2012, 11:21   #795
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by aravind.anand View Post
No Salt or curry powder or ginger garlic paste to the onions, curry leaves and red chillies being fried separately?
No.

This is however a sort of a template recipe.
I like it very simple. You can always add extra masala and/or powders.

I don't add it because it interferes with the taste and flavor of meat.

Most Viewed