Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th April 2013, 16:20   #886
Senior - BHPian

Re: Shami Kababs and Keema Matar

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
Isn't Gilawati Kebab made from Mutton? Why is chicken being used for those kebabs?

I didnt know you use Papaya for Gilawati Kebabs, I thought it predominently used in Tunde Kebabs ...
What do you think Tunda made? Tunda (broken or polio stricken hand) refers to the guy who became famous for making Kababs (including Gilawati). "Tunde ke kabab", not "Tunde ka kabab" ()

Arrey bhai, those kababs can be made with any meat - Mutton, beef / buffalo, chicken, ghadial, 'roo, or even Nutrela, Paneer, Tofu or Chana dal. The limitation is in the imagination, not ingredients.

Green Papaya, or specifically the Papain or Papaya Proteinase in it, is a meat tenderizer which breaks down the peptides in meat. Has been in use for >1000 years to tenderize tough meat. Neat way of shortening the cooking time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fine69 View Post
... Will try the Gilawati kababs next, had no idea that it contained green papayas
Don't use too much - just about 2 tablespoons of green papaya grated with the skin (or 1 teaspoon of papain powder) per Kg. Too much will give a bitter resinous taste. Marinate for an hour max.
Old 26th April 2013, 16:34   #887
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
What do you think Tunda made? Tunda (broken or polio stricken hand) refers to the guy who became famous for making Kababs (including Gilawati). "Tunde ke kabab", not "Tunde ka kabab" ()

Arrey bhai, those kababs can be made with any meat - Mutton, beef / buffalo, chicken, ghadial, 'roo, or even Nutrela, Paneer, Tofu or Chana dal. The limitation is in the imagination, not ingredients.
I never said Tunde Ka Kabab. I just said Tunde Kebab ( as they are popularly called in the north)

btw, It is "Kebab" and not "Kabab"

Well, IMHO, there are certain things that taste best with its original invention.

Like for e.g:

a) Biryani is always best when its mutton.
b) Tandoori Chicken is best in tandoori items unlike others like tandoori fish
c) Apollo Fish suits fish best and not chicken or meat

so and so forth....

Iam not saying you shouldn't be imaginative (that's what MasterChef is teaching budding chefs) but, iam old fashioned in some these original receipes
Old 26th April 2013, 17:09   #888
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I never said Tunde Ka Kabab. I just said Tunde Kebab ( as they are popularly called in the north) ...
Colloquial Hindi - when 2 nouns are written together without a possessive pronoun, 'ka' is assumed in-between. Like Aam Ras, Nimbu Pani, Mooli Achar, Gobhi Paratha, etc. Tunde Ka Kabab is grammatically incorrect, since the intention is not to mean Tunda made only 1 kabab. The possessive pronoun in that case is 'ke' - referring to kabab in plural.

[Goodness gracious! I just sounded like Rawat-sir, our Hindi & Sanskrit teacher from middle school days in Delhi]

Quote:
... btw, It is "Kebab" and not "Kabab" ...
It is also called Kebap (don't ask whose) / Kebob / Kebop / Kabob in various parts of the world. You remind me of Jagdeep and his Bhopali dialect - "Ama miyan, aap to inki esi tesi karriye ho".

No, in India, it is Kabab - कबाब (remember, it is sharabi / kababi, not sherabi / kebabi). The origin is Turkish Kebap (they write şiş kebap, and that is how they vocalize it), from Arabic Cabob, from Aramaic Kabbaba or Kababu - to burn or char. If you hear people speaking Arabic or Persian, you will understand where the Brits got the 'Kebab' from (they also made Mulligatawny out of Melagatanni)

Quote:
... Well, IMHO, there are certain things that taste best with its original invention. ...
+1000. And ingredients too.

BTW, what is 'Apollo Fish'?
Old 26th April 2013, 17:17   #889
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
[Goodness gracious! I just sounded like Rawat-sir, our Hindi & Sanskrit teacher from middle school days in Delhi]
DA Saab, your post indeed reminded me of my hindi teacher (Dubey Saab) and his admonishing tone

Bach Ke Rahna Padega Aapse ( Need to be careful with you.lol)

Quote:
BTW, what is 'Apollo Fish'?
"Apollo Fish" is an extremely popular dish in most multi-cuisine restuarants in Hyderabad which is boneless pieces of fish made in chinese style with lots of indian condiments added to it like Coriander and Curry leaves etc

It's one of the most delicious starters that you can order in Hyderabad.
Old 26th April 2013, 17:38   #890
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
.... is boneless pieces of fish made in chinese style with lots of indian condiments added to it like Coriander and Curry leaves etc
This sounds quite fascinating!
Does it mean fish marinated in soy sauce, and maybe some green onion paste, and then cooked with Indian condiments all the way?
Old 26th April 2013, 18:27   #891
Team-BHP Support

re: Recipes / Discussions on cooking from Team-BHP Master Chefs

Appolo fish is a slice of Seer Fish.
Fried after applying turmeric, red chili powder and salt.
Some versions also user ginger garlic paste.
When frying add some curry leaves to it.
Usually a large fish is used so the slice is nice and wide.

Color is added to make it more appealing.

Last edited by bblost : 26th April 2013 at 18:29.
Old 26th April 2013, 19:19   #892
Team-BHP Support

Oops I think I confused the hyderabad appolo fish with another dish I used to get on Chennai.

The hyderabad appolo fish has corn flour etc added to it

Last edited by bblost : 26th April 2013 at 19:20.
Old 26th April 2013, 21:50   #893
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
The hyderabad appolo fish has corn flour etc added to it
Aye, but I'm more interested in knowing the 'Chinese style' ingredients.
Old 27th April 2013, 10:22   #894
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
... "Apollo Fish" is an extremely popular dish in most multi-cuisine restuarants in Hyderabad which is boneless pieces of fish made in chinese style with lots of indian condiments added to it like Coriander and Curry leaves etc. ...
Quote:
... The hyderabad appolo fish has corn flour etc added to it
Hmmm... From the description, Apollo Fish sounds strangely Fish Manchurian, on the lines of Gobhi Manchurian or Chicken Manchurian. Make boneless fish pakoras (with Cornflour instead of besan) and add a glaze of soya sauce, tomato sauce, vinegar, green chillies / chilly sauce, chopped ginger and garlic, then sprinkle finely chopped coriander leaves (and optionally curry leaves)!
Old 27th April 2013, 12:04   #895
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy View Post
Just checked out Capsico - even that has liquid glucose!!!!
Capsico has to be worst tasting thing known to mankind. It's basically very strong chilli sauce with sugar.

Found this Chillico from FunFoods

Name:  funfoodschillicosauce55ml.png
Views: 801
Size:  49.4 KB

Costs 45Rs and doesn't contain sugar. It's Ok. At the very least, it's not like the Capsico I had to throw away.

Last edited by bblost : 29th April 2013 at 15:58. Reason: Uploaded the pic into the teambhp server. Please see our announcements on how to do this. Thanks.
Old 29th April 2013, 15:17   #896
Team-BHP Support

What is the easiest way to clean Paya/ Trotters?

Any tips or suggestions.

Its such a time consuming job getting rid of all that fine small hair.
Old 29th April 2013, 15:53   #897
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

I have a question about making Mutter Paneer. The Mutter doesn't seem to absorb any of the masala spice taste. So the gravy tastes good, the paneer coated with gravy tastes good - but when you bite into a mutter - it tastes bland - just like plain boiled mutter. What's the remedy for this? Everything is made in a pan/kadai.
Old 29th April 2013, 16:21   #898
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I have a question about making Mutter Paneer. The Mutter doesn't seem to absorb any of the masala spice taste. So the gravy tastes good, the paneer coated with gravy tastes good - but when you bite into a mutter - it tastes bland - just like plain boiled mutter. What's the remedy for this? Everything is made in a pan/kadai.
Pressure cook the mattar. this will break the peas slightly, and hence they will taste better. Often frozen peas have this problem.
If you want flavor, cook mattar and paneer together, and then give one whistle.
Old 29th April 2013, 22:39   #899

Quote:
Turnips.
Turnips go well in mutton too. Try putting turnip chunks in mutton curry when it is 15-20 minutes short of being cooked.

Last edited by bblost : 29th April 2013 at 22:41. Reason: Thanks. But please avoid quoting a full post. Thanks.
Old 30th April 2013, 11:02   #900
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
What is the easiest way to clean Paya/ Trotters? ...
The only option is to burn on open flame. Use the gas burner or a blowtorch (either the old pump-type kerosene one used by brazing guys, or the newer small gas-powered ones used for charring the sugar on creme brulee). Make sure the flame is blue, otherwise a faint fuel smell will permeate the paya.

Quote:
... paneer coated with gravy tastes good - but when you bite into a mutter - it tastes bland - just like plain boiled mutter. ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Pressure cook the mattar. this will break the peas slightly, and hence they will taste better. Often frozen peas have this problem. ...
Overcooked peas taste bland. The peas are not supposed to get the flavor of the gravy - they are supposed be tender to retain their own sweet flavor.

Frozen peas work best when added in frozen from - separated into individual bits, not as a lump - about 5 min. before end. This way the peas become tender, don't overcook and retain their brilliant green color.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drk_411 View Post
Turnips go well in mutton too. Try putting turnip chunks in mutton curry when it is 15-20 minutes short of being cooked.
That's typically J&K / HP / Terai! Winter stuff in north India. Delicious!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks