Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 2nd June 2014, 20:40   #1276
BHPian

re: Recipes / Discussions on cooking from Team-BHP Master Chefs

Quote:
Originally Posted by motomaverick View Post
Nothing extraordinary but tried making a pizza from scratch, it was fun and satisfying. Much better than the ready made pizza base that you get in the market. Just had problem with the base sticking to the tray, when cooking, any pointers how to make it non-stick.

Pizza Base:

1. All purpose flour 500g
2. 350ML warm water
3. 2 teaspoon dry active Yeast
4. Pinch of sugar and salt

Mix the dry & wet ingredients separately and then fold them together, knead the dough lightly and let it rest till it doubles in size. Then knead it some more and make the bases.
Dust the tray with a little flour. Alternately use non stick trays. Even better, if you use your regular dough for chapatis/phulkas, you will get a thin crust pizza and an healthy one too.
Old 2nd June 2014, 21:02   #1277
Senior - BHPian

When I make pizza base, I don't use water. I knead maida with egg, oil, baking powder and salt. Since I hate shrink wrap, I wrap the dough in Maggi or bread cover and leave it in fridge for an hour.

Almost forgot. Once I forgot to add baking powder. I used that dough to make pasta. I rolled it flat like chapati, then cut it like spaghetti. Boiled it for three minutes and then mixed it with sauce.

I no longer need to buy expensive dry pasta from supermarkets.

Last edited by rohanjf : 2nd June 2014 at 21:06.
Old 2nd June 2014, 23:51   #1278
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fine69 View Post
I've almost given up on juicy chicken breasts but would like to know whether there's a way that I can get softer chicken breasts by boiling them in pressure cooker? My objective is to have chicken breasts as part of my diet and I'm ok even if they are simply boiled in water.
Seems you are ok without the curry, then why not steam cook it, you don't even need oil or any other marination, start with simple steaming and sprinkle/rub lemon juice, black pepper and salt, add herbs if you want

The desk method to steam is, fill some water in the cooker, put another bowl inside in between the cooker in which u place the chicken, close the lid, add or don't add the whistle weight as per your choice (I don't), it should get done in 20 mts

In 2/3 attempts you will be able to fine tune to your taste, if at all you want then you can BBQ or any other separately prepared sauce

You will find this to be the simplest and non messy process
Old 3rd June 2014, 11:04   #1279
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Nothing extraordinary but tried making a pizza from scratch, it was fun and satisfying.
Do you bake the pizza base separately or together with the sauce and topping ?

Do you also make the pizza sauce from scratch ? Can you share the recipe ?

Also, what toppings do you put on the pizza ?

Rohan
Old 3rd June 2014, 11:14   #1280
Team-BHP Support

Bought some dosa batter from the neighbourhood store and made dosas for the first time. So glad they turned out well in the first attempt, I couldn't help but click some snaps.

Recipes / Discussions on cooking from Team-BHP Master Chefs-wp_20140602_21_28_26_pro.jpg

Recipes / Discussions on cooking from Team-BHP Master Chefs-wp_20140602_21_30_17_pro.jpg

Recipes / Discussions on cooking from Team-BHP Master Chefs-wp_20140602_21_33_33_pro.jpg

The first one was a bit thick at the centre but the rest were a bit crispier. Had to add some salt to the batter. Btw, my roomie is a pro at making sambar. On a Sunday afternoon, the entire house fills with the lovely aroma when he prepares it!
Old 3rd June 2014, 11:29   #1281
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohan_iitr View Post
Do you bake the pizza base separately or together with the sauce and topping ?

Do you also make the pizza sauce from scratch ? Can you share the recipe ?

Also, what toppings do you put on the pizza ?

Rohan
1. I bake together along with the toppings. To prevent the base from getting soggy due to the sauce, I smeared some oil and then put the sauce. The online recipes ask you use Olive oil but I used normal oil to save cost.

2. Yeah the Pizza sauce is made from scratch. Its quite easy, we just have to blanch the tomatoes and then fry them in oil along with garlic and other herb you might want to add such as rosemary, basil etc. Cook till the sauce has reduced.

3. The toppings depend on the mood, the usual suspects such as onions, capsicum are always there, this time we also used sweet corn and mushrooms.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannu_1 View Post
Bought some dosa batter from the neighbourhood store and made dosas for the first time. So glad they turned out well in the first attempt, I couldn't help but click some snaps.

The first one was a bit thick at the centre but the rest were a bit crispier. Had to add some salt to the batter. Btw, my roomie is a pro at making sambar. On a Sunday afternoon, the entire house fills with the lovely aroma when he prepares it!
I see butter dosa in the first picture. Mouth watering. You can add a little "hing" and some chilly flakes to spice things up. Having the dosa with "Chutney Powder" and oil is really nice.

Last edited by motomaverick : 3rd June 2014 at 11:30.
Old 3rd June 2014, 11:58   #1282
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Bought some dosa batter from the neighbourhood store and made dosas for the first time.
After sometime the dosa's will start sticking to the teflon surface of the tawa.

Then take a soft dry paper tissue and wipe the tawa when its hot. This will remove most of the deposits.

If it does not help, then slice a onion in half and rub it on the hot tawa.

All the best. Its a good dosa.
Old 3rd June 2014, 17:22   #1283
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
... Pizza Base: ...
Missing 2 tsp of oil.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohanjf View Post
When I make pizza base, I don't use water. I knead maida with egg, oil, baking powder and salt. ...
Without water, you are making Pasta dough!

* Pizza dough has to have gluten to provide the elasticity to stretch, and gluten doesn't develop without water

* Pasta dough is exactly the opposite - mustn't allow gluten development and dough expansion, and that is why egg is used to hold the dough structure together while boiling

Baking powder? Good Lord! Nooooo ... Also, pizza dough shouldn't have egg - again, will interfere with elasticity, and hence mouth-feel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohan_iitr View Post
... Do you also make the pizza sauce from scratch ? ...
I make the tomato concassé myself. Boil together tomatoes, celery, leeks, some garlic and dried oregano - takes about 45 minutes for everything to reach pulpy consistency. Sprinkle a couple of tsp of sugar. Mash while it cools down. Strain the skins and seeds out, making sure all the pulp is retained (use a sieve, and silicone spatula to press). Season to taste and simmer (not boil) to get the right consistency.

Quote:
... To prevent the base from getting soggy due to the sauce, I smeared some oil and then put the sauce. ...
You should not. Your oven should be at the highest possible temperature (with the trivet shelf in the middle position). This will cook the bass faster than the sauce can compromise the base. No oil is required to be poured on the pizza - interferes with the cheese melt. Take out the pizza as soon as you see the cheese bubble and char.

Quote:
... blanch the tomatoes and then fry them in oil along with garlic and other herb you might want to add such as rosemary, basil etc. ...
No oil please - no need to fry anything. Dried Oregano is the herb used in the sauce. Rosemary doesn't go well with Pizza. No point in putting Basil either, as the delicate flavor would have evaporated while cooking. Tear up and put fresh Basil leaves as part of topping.

Quote:
... dosa batter from the neighbourhood store and made dosas for the first time. ...
Very nice!

To make it brown and yet not burn it, soak a handful of beaten rice and channa dal (kadalai parippu), grind to a paste and add it to the shop-bought batter. Don't know the chemistry, but that is how hotel guys get crisp brown dosai.
Old 3rd June 2014, 20:10   #1284
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
Very nice!

To make it brown and yet not burn it, soak a handful of beaten rice and channa dal (kadalai parippu), grind to a paste and add it to the shop-bought batter. Don't know the chemistry, but that is how hotel guys get crisp brown dosai.
Alternately, add a pinch or two of powdered sugar and rice flour for a golden brown dosai. Beaten rice is ok but I have not heard of the channa dhal combination and I am in the hotel field.
Old 3rd June 2014, 21:08   #1285
BHPian

Any suggestions on a reasonably priced mayonnaise from a branded company? I checked couple of them at a store, Kraft was costly and a indian brand smelled like fevicol. Yuck !
Old 4th June 2014, 10:01   #1286
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

You should not. Your oven should be at the highest possible temperature (with the trivet shelf in the middle position). This will cook the bass faster than the sauce can compromise the base. No oil is required to be poured on the pizza - interferes with the cheese melt. Take out the pizza as soon as you see the cheese bubble and char.

I saw in the Internet that they put some olive oil directly to the base to make is non soggy, will try with your method some other time, requires a lot of time to prepare the things
Old 4th June 2014, 10:55   #1287
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue_V View Post
Any suggestions on a reasonably priced mayonnaise from a branded company? I checked couple of them at a store, Kraft was costly and a indian brand smelled like fevicol. Yuck !
You could try the Fun Foods brand from Dr. Oetker (supposedly an European brand). My kids love it and not very expensive. Should be available in most food bazzars/malls.
Old 4th June 2014, 11:27   #1288
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
You can add a little "hing" and some chilly flakes to spice things up. Having the dosa with "Chutney Powder" and oil is really nice.
Shall try something next time. I prefer sambar to chutney or anything else with dosa. Btw, w.r.t. chutney powder, are you referring to idli podi?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
After sometime the dosa's will start sticking to the teflon surface of the tawa.
Mum said it is best if we don’t smear the surface of the non-stick tawa with oil/butter before pouring the batter and it worked! Pour the batter in the center of the tawa and spread it evenly in a spiral fashion. Then apply butter/ghee on top and the sides at medium flame. Topple the dosa over to the other side to roast it.

If it begins sticking, I’ll have to try one of these tricks. Thanks for the tip!

Quote:
Thanks! The dosas did come out crispy but nowhere close to the kadak ones we get in the restaurants. If we increase the flame to roast them more, they would end up being burnt! Shall add this mix next time. We have the ingredients at home.
Old 4th June 2014, 14:31   #1289
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksmrsm View Post
... but I have not heard of the channa dhal combination and I am in the hotel field.
Try it! Batter recipe varies from region to region. So does the final product. Sugar will caramelize to give the brown color, but the dosa will have a sweet tinge - which many don't like.
Old 4th June 2014, 19:33   #1290
BHPian

Quote:
Try it! Batter recipe varies from region to region. So does the final product. Sugar will caramelize to give the brown color, but the dosa will have a sweet tinge - which many don't like.
Thanks . A chef should always keep experimenting, though I am not a chef. Will try this. The amount of sugar added is miniscule compared to the amount of batter, so the sweetness of the sugar will not affect it. Will the addition of the dhal not change the color of the dosai.

Most Viewed