Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th November 2007, 21:16   #121
Senior - BHPian

Hey netchef,

merged your thread with this one. Go through it - you will surely enjoy reading.

have fun.
Old 26th November 2007, 23:23   #122
BHPian

even i am a good non-veg cook. i like spicy food. very less dishes i make in veg.
Old 27th November 2007, 17:48   #123
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by normally_crazy View Post
Hey netchef,

merged your thread with this one. Go through it - you will surely enjoy reading.

have fun.
Thanks, NC. Quite amazing the sizzlers out there. And one bloke studying hotel management too.
Cooking as been a therapeutic outlet for me for over 20 years. While I've tried my hand at most genres/styles of cuisine, there are a couple of stds I keep coming back to: Greek Moussaka, Parsi Dhansak, a Portuguese Stew among others.

I also love the S E Asian flavours and textures, but daily stuff revolves round chiefly desi khaana...and it's all experimental (with emphasis on 'mental' :-)).

Bon appetit Guys. Hope you fire well BTDC.
Old 22nd January 2008, 12:54   #124
Senior - BHPian

Does anyone know a good chicken sali recipe?

I tried this recipe and was really dissapointed. Also any other good Parsi recipes would really be appreciated. I somehow really crave Paradise and Cafe Brittania here. lol

Quote:
Yeah I am posting the Recipe of the Chicken Sali After a Long time. Sorry people, I was quite stuck up at work and such like, with shifting and all that. And yes what you are seeing is crisp fried potatoes. In the authentic Sali, the pototoes are even smaller. Match Stick thin. I was too lazy to slice potatoes that thin. I cooked the chicken, in the usual way we cook Chicken Curry, and then spread the potatoes afterwards. It was very tasty indeed. One Kilo Chicken, marinade in 1 tsp Jeera powder, 1 tsp Dhania Powder, 1 Tsp Red Chilli and salt to taste. Marinade for 2 hours. Two large Potatoes, cut into match stick thin slivers. Fry till golden in a non-stick pan and keep aside. Heat oil in a Pan or Wok and Fry One large Onion, and fry till golden brown. Add 3 green chillis sliced in halves. Add One and half table spoon of freshly ground ginger-garlic paste, and saute for 1 minute. Add 2-3 Tomatoes, chopped well. Add the chicken, mix well keep stirring for a few minutes. Then cover the lid of the pan, and keep that way for 15 minutes in low heat. Open the lid, you will see that lots of liquid have come out. Increase heat and cook till gravy thickens. Now add 1.5 cup of hot water and let shimmer. Add 1 tsp chicken Masala and 1 tsp black pepper. Take down after 2-3 minutes. Spread the potatoes on top... ( Can I call it as garnishing?) Enjoy!!

Bachelor Cooking : Fun Cooking and Easy Recipes!: Curry Chicken Sali Recipe
As for the cooking part, 5 months after I started cooking Im really into it. Trust me guys theres hardly anything more thereputic than cooking. Things which seem like chores like chopping and peeling also seem like fun. Its really relaxing and a great way to get your mind of all the stress in your life. The only thing that can beat it is probably a nice long drive but the roads and traffic in Mumbai and my lack of a car here leave me with cooking as my biggest stress buster.
Old 22nd January 2008, 22:25   #125
BHPian

All i know about cooking are egg preprations like omelette,single/double fry,bhurgi etc.

I don't eat chicken these days but when i used to,my fav were vinegar and lemon chicken,very easy to make just under 10min.Needs lot of masala though.I also made barb-e-cue chicken in winters for about 2-3 yrs with custom made barb-e-cue.Everytime it would taste different.lol.Same case with chilly chicken.

These days i'm on fish eating spree.In Punjab we get here sole (or soul?) and singhara (fresh-water).I prefer sole and after marinating it with ginger & garlic water,green chillies,salt and fish masala for about 1-2yrs i give it to near-by dhaba and he roasts it for me free of cost.
BTW can anyone guide me how make it in microwave,i tried but couldn't make it.
Old 22nd January 2008, 22:30   #126
Senior - BHPian

How do you make a cheese omlette?
Old 22nd January 2008, 22:54   #127
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by govigov View Post
How do you make a cheese omlette?
Take an egg or two,beat them in a bowl,..then get some cheddar cheese(mozzarella will not do)and grate it into the bowl.Mix,add salt/pepper to taste and put it on a pan.
Old 23rd January 2008, 01:08   #128
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iraghava View Post
Doctor saaheb, aaj kitni drinks ke baad recipe likh rahen hain aap??? 2 saal me to machli ka the end ho jaayega!!
iraghava,cooking start karne se pehele hi fish ka 'the end' hua hoga..
But marinating 1-2years?? Seems more like 1-2 hours. At the most 1 day.
Using the microwave to cook fish isn't easy. If your microwave has a specific setting to roast meat,then I'd recommend cooking each side of the fish for 3-4 mins,turning the fish over,and then repeating the process for a total cook time of 15-17 mins. It also depends on the type of fish you use.
Old 23rd January 2008, 01:27   #129
Senior - BHPian

I can do a fair amount of Non Veg cooking. Learned from my Grand mother who was a good cook and had many receipes which were handed to her over generations.

My favourites: Kerala spicy fish curry preferably with Sear fish, Kerala Chilly Beef, Chicken 65, Pork curry etc. Tried duck and rabbit, but got screwed, so stopped trying.

Can do a few Veg curries as well. My wife was pleased when I made her a few dishes. She wasnt so pleased when I started complaining about her dishes.
Old 23rd January 2008, 01:46   #130
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binz View Post
Take an egg or two,beat them in a bowl,..then get some cheddar cheese(mozzarella will not do)and grate it into the bowl.Mix,add salt/pepper to taste and put it on a pan.
Also ingridients like finely cut green chillies, sausage, ham and basil really add a lot of flavour to the omlette.

When you put it on the pan make sure you first heat the pan up and then put some butter or oil on the pan and spread it evenly across the pan otherwise your omlette will turn out more like a bhurji.

Also dont ever put in more than 2 eggs in the omlette otherwise it gets too thick and doesnt cook properly.
Old 23rd January 2008, 01:57   #131
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khanak View Post
Also ingridients like finely cut green chillies, sausage, ham and basil really add a lot of flavour to the omlette.

When you put it on the pan make sure you first heat the pan up and then put some butter or oil on the pan and spread it evenly across the pan otherwise your omlette will turn out more like a bhurji.

Also dont ever put in more than 2 eggs in the omlette otherwise it gets too thick and doesnt cook properly.
Cilantro takes an omlette to a whole new level. Try this- Sautee 1/2 an onion in some butter/oil and mix it with the eggs (+ chilli powder,turmeric,cumin powder & coriander powder). To make the omlette fluffy, add 1/4 glass of milk to the eggs. And if you close the pan while the eggs cook,you can get the omlette to rise a bit,making it pretty soft & chunky.
Old 23rd January 2008, 02:31   #132
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitin View Post
add 1/4 glass of milk to the eggs. And if you close the pan while the eggs cook,you can get the omlette to rise a bit,making it pretty soft & chunky.
Yup, I do this when I make Omlettes & like Nitin said adding a little milk & covering the pan after you've pured in the mixture (remember to keep the flame low so as to let it simmer) will give you a nice fluffy omlette!
Old 23rd January 2008, 04:15   #133
Senior - BHPian

Another way to bring a slight change in the taste (of omlettes) is to dice tomatoes & curry leaves with the eggs.
I had no idea how this would be,until I tried it out sometime ago. Depends,not everyone likes curry leaves.

If you have bacon bits at hand,sprinkle some over the omlette,before getting it off the stove.
Old 23rd January 2008, 04:20   #134
Senior - BHPian

Aah some great tips there Nitin. Keep em comming.

The great thing with omlettes is that there is so much flexibility involved. There really isnt any limit to how many different types you can make.

Sometimes i feel like having the ones I used to have at home with chopped onions, tomatoes and some coriander. mmmmm I really miss home food.
Old 23rd January 2008, 21:38   #135
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitin View Post
iraghava,cooking start karne se pehele hi fish ka 'the end' hua hoga..
But marinating 1-2years?? Seems more like 1-2 hours. At the most 1 day.
Using the microwave to cook fish isn't easy. If your microwave has a specific setting to roast meat,then I'd recommend cooking each side of the fish for 3-4 mins,turning the fish over,and then repeating the process for a total cook time of 15-17 mins. It also depends on the type of fish you use.

lol from as well.
That was a typo which must be due to hangover of what i did exactly 24 yr (oops...24hr)back.

@Nitin..I tried it as u have said using grill but in the end i thought i am eating rubber.

Regarding omlette you can also add green peas to it.

Last edited by rsjaurr : 23rd January 2008 at 21:40.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks