Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th September 2009, 16:41   #226
BHPian

Well my experience with cooking started with curd rice and ended there abruptly . As a bachelor i was put up with my elder brother and Normally my elder brother was the one who did all the shopping and cooking and I only for eating and certifying his cullinary skills. So once for a change i wanted to prepare curd rice, not the normal one but with the seasoned one with mustard seed and fried chilly and stuff. There was one problem however that i didnt understand the concept of seasoning and with my intelligent guess, i put curd in the rice , added the mustard seeds and red chilly and cooked the whole stuff in oil, and by god the stink was abolutely revolting. Once i had kept rice in the cooker without pouring water and then waited for 30 mins for the whistle and when i didnt get one and a strange smell arising from the kitchen, then i had to call my mom at coimbatore to analyse the situation and she asked me to open the cooker and check, and there was the rice totally burnt like charcoal. That was my last foray into cooking and my wifey has been updated about my cooking adventures and she doesnt want me anywhere near the kitchen. I have improved a bit now after carefull monitoring by my wifey and can manage to cook noodles, some potato sabji and once i had tried some chicken with all the possible sauces(soya/chilli/vinegar/tomato) that were available in hand and it turned out pretty much ok. I can also make coffee and tea now. I can also make some yummy soup with knor/maggi if that counts..

Last edited by Rotorhead : 29th September 2009 at 16:42.
Old 29th September 2009, 17:29   #227
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotorhead View Post
I can also make some yummy soup with knor/maggi if that counts..
Beware of Knorr soups !

They contain MSG [mono sodium glutomate], which is harmful for health, especially brain.

Maggi soups dont have that stuff. I think thats why it is written "Healthy Soups" on maggi packets.
Old 29th September 2009, 18:53   #228
BHPian

Hmmm, interesting thread.

Do I cook? Well, not everything. Friends and wifey say I make some real good tea.

Was not in mood to go office today, so had to cook something at home. Tried my hands and egg bhurji and it was eatable .
Old 30th September 2009, 14:14   #229
BANNED

I wasn't used to cooking before (who is with an old world mom around ) but I had the interest and would watch my mother cook whenever I was at home so got to know a lot of the stuff. But knowledge is useless unless implemented and I got a chance to do just that when I spent about 2 years in US. And to my surprise I was a fairly good cook and my friends really liked the dishes I prepared.
I can cook most of the regular South Indian dishes including Chappathis Dosaas, Idlis and rice, rasam, sambhar are no big deal at all and now believe cooking is a valuable skill to possess for a man. It makes one self reliant and not too dependable.

Anyways after coming back I reverted to my old ways and watch my mother cook but help her out occasionaly.
Old 2nd October 2009, 03:03   #230
Senior - BHPian

Cooking has become the best way (and has been for a long time, infact) the best way to relax. Now that my wife's 8 months pregnant, she hardly has the stamina to stand cook.We used to cook together every day after gtting back from work, but these days its the dishes & the cooking that are on my list of to-do's (apart from the never ending list of other things like taking the dogs for a walk, some cleaning/laundry).
For the weekend, it'll be some chicken tikka & tandoori naan, and after a long long time I'll be trying out some 'satay'. before everything else, need to stock up on some booze!
Old 2nd October 2009, 09:36   #231
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDM007 View Post
Beware of Knorr soups !

They contain MSG [mono sodium glutomate], which is harmful for health, especially brain.
Now that is what I call spreading mis-information!
Would you be kind enough to post the link to a study that has given this conclusion?!
Old 2nd October 2009, 09:46   #232
Team-BHP Support

Here you go Anup.
Monosodium glutamate - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Its "possibly" not good for some individuals. To be on the safe side, docs tell pregnant women not to have it.
Old 2nd October 2009, 11:56   #233
BHPian

MSG is nothing but ajinomoto, which is very commonly used in Chinese cuisine. Yes it may have some long term side effects if used extensively, but I think it's safe if used in moderation. Or else we wouldn't be able to eat the usual Chinese fare from our restaurants. It's just not the same stuff without ajinomoto.
Old 2nd October 2009, 12:05   #234
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjay_in View Post
It's just not the same stuff without ajinomoto.
well i find maggi soups (no msg) as good as knorr soups. Also I take like 3-4 servings (500ml) of soup not sure if that is too much msg!
Old 2nd October 2009, 12:11   #235
Senior - BHPian

I was the official tea maker in our home when I was studying in bangalore.

uuummmm , yep I cook rice too with some simple side dishes
Old 2nd October 2009, 17:26   #236
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Here you go Anup.
Monosodium glutamate - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Its "possibly" not good for some individuals. To be on the safe side, docs tell pregnant women not to have it.
There are many articles and all say the same thing - it is safe in normal quantities as used in food.
It has always been marked as unsafe for infants (usually mentioned as 12 months).
BBC did a complete documentary and also concluded it is safe for use in foods.
As for not being good for 'some' people, there are people who have intolerance for milk, chocolates, eggs and so many other items.
Old 5th October 2009, 14:53   #237
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anupmathur View Post
BBC did a complete documentary and also concluded it is safe for use in foods.
Anup,

Its your life. You have full rights to spoil it. Some spoil eating [slow] poison, some spoil by [fast] driving, some by smoking/drinking/druging etc.

Old 5th October 2009, 23:36   #238
BHPian

Yes I do,and I totally agree with Nitin. It's a great way to relax. Any foodie worth his salt will be I guess. If you really liked something at some place and cant go there to eat it at a particular time, the only alternative is to cook it!
Old 6th October 2009, 13:07   #239
BHPian

Got ourselves a new Morphy-Richards OTG (oven)...Time for some grilling/baking then
Old 15th October 2009, 15:32   #240
Senior - BHPian

Can we open a new thread to share recepies or we start posting them here itself. I can cook most of the things but non veg fare being my forte. I am good with camping meals and like experimenting in kitchen most of the times. Recently when my wife was expecting I reinvented the fine art of subtle difference the ingredients can make the way they are used in a particular dish. I still need help from People who are good at making salads or sauted vegeies.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks