Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 22nd November 2010, 13:20   #436
BHPian

Chef's need a tip to keep Rotis / Chappati's soft.

My cook prepares them @ around 12.30 noon, and stores them in a hot pack. I usually have them @ 9.00PM for dinner, by then it becomes hard and brittle. I have to microwave them and have them quickly before it becomes hard again.

Is she using the wrong atta or something ? Thanks
Old 22nd November 2010, 14:16   #437

substituting semi-firm tofu for half the atta results in amazingly soft rotis.
Old 22nd November 2010, 16:11   #438
BHPian

My go at Stuffed Red Bell Pepper (capsicum).

*The filling is meat (i used beef you could use minced mutton too). layered with long grain rice mixed with a lil ghee.

*The meat was cooked like a regular low gravy beef fry/roast (you can choose one of the million recipes out there) I jus did a lil this and that from here and there!! LOL

*The pepper was opened on the end and with my fingers i removed the seeds etc, don't use a knife you could cut tru.

*After i did the filling, the whole thing was put in the oven for 10mins. i tried that to cook the Pepper. it worked.. a lil burning on the bottom but it added to the flavor..
The filling should be dry or you wont be able to slice it well..

This whole thing was an experiment that tasted nice!
Attached Thumbnails
Recipes / Discussions on cooking from Team-BHP Master Chefs-img00413201011041314.jpg  

Recipes / Discussions on cooking from Team-BHP Master Chefs-img00414201011041314.jpg  

Recipes / Discussions on cooking from Team-BHP Master Chefs-img00417201011041341.jpg  

Old 22nd November 2010, 18:33   #439
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2theMax View Post
Chef's need a tip to keep Rotis / Chappati's soft.

My cook prepares them @ around 12.30 noon, and stores them in a hot pack. I usually have them @ 9.00PM for dinner, by then it becomes hard and brittle. I have to microwave them and have them quickly before it becomes hard again.

Is she using the wrong atta or something ? Thanks
Wrap the chapatis in a soft cloth, and keep them in a vessel with tight fitting lid. The moisture in chapatis would keep them soft. Hot case/pack would not only dry them but can also ferment them.

When you need them, microwave with the cloth covering, and the moisture would not only heat it, but keep it soft. Another trick taught to us by a nan vendor. Store the nan in the refrigerator in a paper bag. When you need to eat, cut each nan into four and then toast them in an electric toaster. You get hot and fresh nan!
Old 29th November 2010, 15:06   #440
BHPian

Happened to recently pick up the Babycue from the Clix range of products from Metro Hyderabad. It cost me around 1,300/- Rs.

Versatile and eliminates the hassle of searching for coal/coke, lighting it etc.

Tried it out with some self thought out recipes of chicken and they were pretty good.

More details of this Barbeque cum Grill available on the manufacturer's website here:
CLIX - PKL Hyderabad - Home Appliances, Kitchen Appliances - BABYCUE

The following pic from their website

Recipes / Discussions on cooking from Team-BHP Master Chefs-babycue.jpg

The principle of its working is the bottom portion of the pan is open. Inside the pan there is a steel mesh grill on which Lava Rocks are placed.

These Lava Rocks help in distributing the heat along the whole diameter of the pan, hence ensuring uniform cooking at most places. On top of the Lava Rocks there is a steel grill on which you can place your steaks etc and of course they have stand on the side of your pan to keep skewers in different levels. On removing the Lava rocks and substituting them with coal I guess you can avoid the need of the Gas stove and makes it a highly portable option too. I may be wrong at that, but just matbe.

Last edited by suren181 : 29th November 2010 at 15:15. Reason: Adding details
Old 1st December 2010, 01:31   #441
BHPian

wanted to know if some of the Masters could give a link to a good spice comparison chart. I mean the different spices and its indian or english names. and vise-versa. Like Bay leaf is Karuvapata (correct right?)
there are a dime a dozen on google but they seemed to clash! thought it would be good to find a nice place.

@pbiju - where are you? no more cooking?
Old 1st December 2010, 07:47   #442

^^ Check this out:

Glossary of Spices in Indian Languages and English

Actually, give this a go instead:

Ingredients Glossary - Indian Ingredients

Last edited by Rehaan : 7th December 2010 at 15:05. Reason: Merging consecutive posts.
Old 1st December 2010, 10:08   #443
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2theMax View Post
... tip to keep Rotis / Chappati's soft. ... @ 9.00PM for dinner, by then it becomes hard and brittle. ...
Problem with the dough, not atta. Ask the person to put a couple of tea spoons of cooking oil while preparing the dough, knead it well, and set it aside for 15min. at least before rolling the chappaties. The griddle (tawa) should hot while making the chappaties - longer cooking at lower heat will drive out moisture faster.

Keeping them rolled in a kitchen towel (in a container) will keep the moisture from going out. If you want to MW, do it at medium power for 1 minute or less. High power drives out even more moisture. MW is not preferable - re-heating on a griddle is better. Heat the whole bunch at once, not individually, by turning part of the bunch till all of them warm through.
Old 1st December 2010, 14:36   #444

Here is a list maintained by Vigyan Prasar. I think this one is more complete and up-to-date than the others.

Glossary of Common Indian Spices in different Indian languages
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnda View Post
wanted to know if some of the Masters could give a link to a good spice comparison chart. I mean the different spices and its indian or english names. and vise-versa. Like Bay leaf is Karuvapata (correct right?)
there are a dime a dozen on google but they seemed to clash! thought it would be good to find a nice place.
Old 26th December 2010, 01:09   #445
BHPian

re: Recipes / Discussions on cooking from Team-BHP Master Chefs

guys,
what is your favourite dish in each of the following?
Salads
sandwiches.

Am thinking up some plans in the food areas and would like to know the most popular dishes.

Note to mod: hope its ok to ask here, pl remove if not appropriate
Old 26th December 2010, 08:40   #446
Team-BHP Support

Salad: Chicken.
Sandwich: Tuna.

Both without cheese/ Mayonnaise/ Cream and such.
Favorite dressing is Vinegar.
Old 26th December 2010, 11:58   #447
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ikoneer View Post
guys,
what is your favourite dish in each of the following?
Salads
sandwiches.

Am thinking up some plans in the food areas and would like to know the most popular dishes.

Note to mod: hope its ok to ask here, pl remove if not appropriate
Salad - Potato, shrimp and Mayo with mustard & sugar to taste.
Sandwich - Ham, Cheese, Mayo and lettuce. Grilled if possible.
Old 28th December 2010, 23:31   #448
BHPian

Thanks Imran and Roy. Good choice of dish.

I was expecting a lots of inputs from the tbhpians but then its awfully quite here.
Old 10th January 2011, 01:17   #449
Senior - BHPian

My sister and I made some Spaghetti with creamy pesto sauce and sun-dried tomatoes, topped off with grilled vegetables and served with some shop bought, slightly roasted, garlic bread!

Turned out delicious!
Attached Thumbnails
Recipes / Discussions on cooking from Team-BHP Master Chefs-spg.jpg  

Last edited by anekho : 10th January 2011 at 01:20.
Old 21st January 2011, 11:14   #450
Senior - BHPian

@Mobike: Curious to know the recipe for chicken which you had in your recent trip to sugarland UP. The pic made me super hungry

Most Viewed