Search this Thread
Old 7th October 2013, 09:34   #1066
BHPian

re: Recipes / Discussions on cooking from Team-BHP Master Chefs

Quote:
Originally Posted by skdking View Post
Hello,
Nice recipe.

BTW, when does one add the capsicum and tomato to it?
Ah thanks. I missed that part in the OP. You can add them anytime but I added them 2 min before putting potatoes in.

Last edited by Divya Sharan : 7th October 2013 at 09:35.
Old 7th October 2013, 15:43   #1067
Senior - BHPian

I was looking for some tasteful oats recipes minus the oil (we all know there aren't many) I somehow landed on a page which had some very positive feedback about an oats breakfast recipe.

1/2 cup rolled oats
1/2 cup skimmed milk
1 ripe banana mashed
1 tbsp of ground flaxseed
2 eggs, beaten

The recipe was very simple cook, just mix everything in a non-stick pan and cook till the time eggs are not runny.

I did the same and it was one of the most disgusting things that I'd ever eaten! Mashed banana in hot milk with eggs with oats with flaxseed, why did I ever fall for this!!
Old 7th October 2013, 19:36   #1068
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fine69 View Post
I was looking for some tasteful oats recipes minus the oil (we all know there aren't many) I somehow landed on a page which had some very positive feedback about an oats breakfast recipe. 1/2 cup rolled oats 1/2 cup skimmed milk 1 ripe banana mashed 1 tbsp of ground flaxseed 2 eggs, beaten The recipe was very simple cook, just mix everything in a non-stick pan and cook till the time eggs are not runny. I did the same and it was one of the most disgusting things that I'd ever eaten! Mashed banana in hot milk with eggs with oats with flaxseed, why did I ever fall for this!!
Try this one. I usually don't like oats myself but this is pretty good.

Ingredients
2 cups fat-free milk
1 cup quick-cooking oats
1 large ripe banana, sliced
2 teaspoons brown sugar
1 teaspoon honey or maple syrup
1/2 teaspoon ground Ground Cinnamon
Additional fat-free milk or ground cinnamon, optional

Directions
In a small saucepan, bring milk to a boil; stir in oats. Cook over medium heat for 1-2 minutes or until thickened, stirring occasionally.
Stir in the banana, brown sugar, honey and cinnamon. Divide among three serving bowls. Serve with additional milk and cinnamon if desired. Yield: 3 servings.
Old 7th October 2013, 22:13   #1069
Team-BHP Support

Has anyone used this: http://www.philips.co.in/c/airfryer-...il/182774/cat/

Last edited by bblost : 7th October 2013 at 22:16.
Old 8th October 2013, 11:30   #1070
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
Has anyone used this: ...
I have seen a demo at Metro and was not impressed.
Old 8th October 2013, 13:22   #1071
Senior - BHPian

During childhood, oats used to be cooked like porridge or Halwa. Just boil the oats in milk, add sugar/sweetener and that was it. To enhance taste you can add a pinch of salt. If you want to make it exotic add dry fruits, honey or any nuts you can get hold of.
Old 10th October 2013, 14:58   #1072
Senior - BHPian

I finally managed to have my oats within an omelette. So one beats eggs and adds onions, salt, red chilli powder along with half a cup of quick cooking oats.

Rest of the preparation is same as of a regular omelette. Of course the omelette is dry and little hard but definitely edible.

I think the next oats recipe that I'd want to try would be oats upma.

Question:
1. How do I get those green beans that are part of chinese fried rice / chowmein?

I've tried my luck with the local vegetable vendors but all they have is french-beans (aka france-beans).
Old 10th October 2013, 15:32   #1073
Senior - BHPian

I haven't bought onions in 3 weeks now. When I bought last, the price was too much. I haven't found the guts to check the price recently.

So yesterday I tried replacing onions in my masala with radish. My reasoning was that radish is also pungent when raw, and does not change the colour of the ground masala.

The mix veg koorma I prepared with this masala turned out okay-okay. Since I knew it had no onion, I didn't find it tasty. But my wife (who still has no clue about the masala) said it was good.

I don't think I'll repeat this experiment

Quote:
Originally Posted by fine69 View Post
Question:
1. How do I get those green beans that are part of chinese fried rice / chowmein?

I've tried my luck with the local vegetable vendors but all they have is french-beans (aka france-beans).
You may find them in refrigerated vegetables' section in supermarkets. They are usually pre-packed. You can identify them by their colour (deeper green) and length (shorter), compared to french beans.
Old 14th October 2013, 22:44   #1074
Team-BHP Support

Recipes / Discussions on cooking from Team-BHP Master Chefs-20131014-12.39.47-large.jpg

The Seer Fish was marinated with Soya Sauce, Garlic, Pepper, Vinegar, Salt and lemon juice.
While grilling also dropped in a couple of mushrooms.

The vegetarian side dish was inspired by a recipe from the Jamie Oliver's 30 min show.
Blanched and then ran the spinach thru a blender.

Cut potato into large pieces and coated them with some salt. Then boiled water. Poured the boiling water over the potatoes and continued cooking it on a medium flame in a closed vessel. Once the potatoes was almost done dropped in a few peas.
Once they were also soft drained the water and let the vegies steam dry.

Then heated some oil, dropped in a couple of garlic cloves. Added the spinach, then the mushrooms and finally the potato-peas.
mashed them all a little.
Old 15th October 2013, 09:19   #1075
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
The Seer Fish ...
Isn't that mackerel / bangda? Looks yum!
Old 15th October 2013, 09:25   #1076
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
Isn't that mackerel / bangda? Looks yum!
It was a small Surmai. Weighed in at just around 500 gms before cleaning.

Just Rs 233 for the fish from a supermarket (Spencers) near my home.

It was quite yummy and you can see my daughters fingers waiting to get to it while waiting rather impatiently.
Old 15th October 2013, 22:55   #1077
Senior - BHPian

HFC or Home Fried Chicken

Well with the recent threads on KFC quality and a earning to eat those crispy chicken, the only way out was to introduce Home Fried Chicken

Step1: Marinate the chicken lollipop (you can use any chicken cut pieces with the skin on) in salt, ginger-garlic, chilli powder

Recipes / Discussions on cooking from Team-BHP Master Chefs-lollipop1.jpg

Step2: Prepare the batter with plain flour (maida), chilli flakes, chilli powder, salt. Basically you can add whatever spices you want. I added Garam Masala as well

Recipes / Discussions on cooking from Team-BHP Master Chefs-lollipop2.jpg

Step3: Prepare the eggs by mixing 2 eggs with little portion of milk (4 tablespoons)

Recipes / Discussions on cooking from Team-BHP Master Chefs-lollipop3.jpg

Step4: This is the most important step which actually gives the crispy nature. The chicken needs to be dipped in the egg mixture and then dusted with the flour mixture. Once again we need to repeat the process with the same piece of chicken. Doing it twice ensures crispy outer shell.

Recipes / Discussions on cooking from Team-BHP Master Chefs-lollipop4.jpg

Step5: On medium heat fry these pieces

Recipes / Discussions on cooking from Team-BHP Master Chefs-lollipop5.jpg

And there you have it our very own home made fried crispy chicken
Recipes / Discussions on cooking from Team-BHP Master Chefs-lollipop6.jpg
Old 20th October 2013, 14:52   #1078

Re: HFC or Home Fried Chicken

[quote=motomaverick;3266684]Well with the recent threads on KFC quality and a earning to eat those crispy chicken, the only way out was to introduce Home Fried Chicken

Step1: Marinate the chicken lollipop (you can use any chicken cut pieces with the skin on) in salt, ginger-garlic, chilli powder

Marination would make the chicken moist and the surface would be slippery and "no hold" for the flour dust and eggs. Marination can be skipped altogether with added flavors to the flour dust.

Step2: Prepare the batter with plain flour (maida), chilli flakes, chilli powder, salt. Basically you can add whatever spices you want. I added Garam Masala as well

It is fine as long as you keep it dry.
Yeah you can use any spice mix.
But adding some corn flour to the flour (maida) makes them more crisper.
[around a table spoon of corn flour in a cup of flour]
Coarsely ground Corn flakes added to flour also do wonders. Try.

Step3: Prepare the eggs by mixing 2 eggs with little portion of milk (4 tablespoons)

Good going. You can add few dried herbs here into the eggs.
I sometimes use buttermilk instead of milk for extra-crispiness.

Step4: This is the most important step which actually gives the crispy nature. The chicken needs to be dipped in the egg mixture and then dusted with the flour mixture. Once again we need to repeat the process with the same piece of chicken. Doing it twice ensures crispy outer shell.

Sure this is the most important part.

The idea is to keep the chicken parts as dry as possible other wise the batter does not properly stick to chicken parts and resembles an oversized shirt hanging loosely on a skinny man. We want the fried coat of egg and spiced flour to stick to the chicken parts.

So the go around is not to marinate the chicken. Pat chicken parts dry on a clean kitchen towel. Dust or roll the chicken parts with the spiced flour mix and then dip into the beaten eggs. You sure can roll the egg dipped chicken parts once again in the spiced flour mix and then can roll them in the beaten egg once again for a final roll in the spice flour mix.

Remember the spiced flour is the first and the last coat. You can have a single or double egg wash.

Step5: On medium heat fry these pieces

One of the reasons that we don't get the KFC's crispiness is that they use Industrial pressure fryers. [ Yes the oil is heated in pressure cooker style fryers and then the chicken pieces are fried under pressure.]

And there you have it our very own home made fried crispy chicken

Good Job. Keep cooking !
Old 20th October 2013, 17:52   #1079
Senior - BHPian

I have noticed how they make the batter stick to meat pieces for frying
1. Marinate the meat for as long as you like
2. Drip dry the pieces
3. Coat the pieces with flour (maida) and then shake the excess
4. Dip the coated pieces in egg solution
5. Now roll the piece in bread crumbs

These steps ensure that the marinate is there and the batter is crisp and not soggy.

A similar treatment is there for Japanese fries except that they use flour for both the steps.
Old 20th October 2013, 20:32   #1080

Quote:
Originally Posted by Divya Sharan View Post
Ok, my query to all Master Chefs here on something I prepared in the morning.

I prepared Soya Chilli.

Ingredients:
150 gm Soya nuggets
3 small sized potatoes
2 onions (medium)
1 tomato
1 small sized capsicum
4 medium green chillies
Tomato sauce, soya sauce and chilli sauce
Salt
Turmeric and Lal Mirch powder. (red chilli)

Procedure:
1. Boil soya nuggets in a karahi.
2. Drain all water after boiling the nuggets and set them aside.
3. In the meanwhile, cut slices of potatoes, capsicum, tomato and onions.
4. After draining the nuggets, place them in a separate vessel and put 3-4 tbsp refined oil and put it on medium flame.
5. Cut small pieces of green chillies and fry them followed by onions till they turn brown(ish).
6. Add chopped potatoes and add some salt for aiding the cooking process. Cover the
karahi wid a lid.
7. Cook for 5-7 min on medium flame and then the potatoes start getting soft. Add turmeric and red chilli powder and stir the mixture well.
8. Cook for 2-3 min.
9. Add all the 3 sauces to the karahi now. For reference, I used the sauce bottles cap for measurement. Tomato sauce - 4-5 caps, soya - 2 caps and chill - 2 caps.
10. Add boiled soya nuggets and mix the entire thing well. Add a little salt as per requirements and cook for 5 min.
11. One may add pudina/dhaniya leaves later while serving.
Max time needed - 45 to 50 min

I ate it in a hurry but I could feel that I pulled it out well.

I request experts to suggest if I can do something to improve upon the taste or something!
Indian Tadka to a chinese dish ?
Remove potato, Tomato, Tomato Sauce, Turmeric, Pudina, dhaniya and you would be nearing a chinese dish.
Add medium sized chunks of onion and green capsicum according to your soya chunks and you would have a dish that goes well with vegetable fried rice.
You can add sliced spring onions; both the white and the green, zucchini and boiled french beans cut into about an inch sized rods. Mushrooms would make a nice addition.
Don't forget to add corn flour. A dash of vinegar and a dash of fresh lemon juice would raise the dish another notch. Using MSG is your choice.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks