strawberry
boiled beetroot
olives
orange ...
You forgot the watermelon!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
... Heart Attack: Mom will manage this.
Arrey bhai, if you haven't had one so far (I am sure you won't - ever) even others won't! BUT ... if anyone knows what she makes, her counter will be a bigger hit than the health food one!!!
Old 19th November 2013, 17:40   #1127
Senior - BHPian

re: Recipes / Discussions on cooking from Team-BHP Master Chefs

How bad is it to keep marinated chicken in fridge for about 4-5 days?

I know it'd be better if I wrap it in cleanwrap and freeze it instead but just curious about how bad 1kg of marinated chicken eaten over a period of 4-5 days would be?
Old 19th November 2013, 17:54   #1128
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fine69 View Post
How bad is it to keep marinated chicken in fridge for about 4-5 days? I know it'd be better if I wrap it in cleanwrap and freeze it instead but just curious about how bad 1kg of marinated chicken eaten over a period of 4-5 days would be?
The max you should keep it is 1-2 days. The marinade will mask any bad smell it may have. Poultry should be handled with more care since it has the fastest bacteria growth.
Old 19th November 2013, 17:54   #1129
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
How bad is it to keep marinated chicken in fridge for about 4-5 days?
As per FDA, you should not store it beyond 2 days (uncooked) in refrigerator. In Freezer, it can be stored for up to a year.

http://www.foodsafety.gov/keep/charts/storagetimes.html

(Look for Fresh Poultry)
Old 19th November 2013, 18:31   #1130
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raj1008 View Post
The max you should keep it is 1-2 days. The marinade will mask any bad smell it may have. Poultry should be handled with more care since it has the fastest bacteria growth.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NetfreakBombay View Post
As per FDA, you should not store it beyond 2 days (uncooked) in refrigerator. In Freezer, it can be stored for up to a year.

http://www.foodsafety.gov/keep/charts/storagetimes.html

(Look for Fresh Poultry)
Shoot!! I've cooked and eaten chicken that was marinated and kept in fridge for 3-4 days, that too a couple of times!!

I still have about 300-400 gms of marinated chicken, may be 4-5 days old. Do I throw it out or cook it all tonight?
Old 19th November 2013, 20:51   #1131
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

I still have about 300-400 gms of marinated chicken, may be 4-5 days old. Do I throw it out or cook it all tonight?
If it is marinated with Indian spices including turmeric, and is in the freezer, then I think it is OK. But I can't see how you can keep chicken in the fridge without finishing it off the first or second day itself
Old 19th November 2013, 21:03   #1132
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mallumowgli View Post
If it is marinated with Indian spices including turmeric, and is in the freezer, then I think it is OK. But I can't see how you can keep chicken in the fridge without finishing it off the first or second day itself
Its a new marinade that I made (spring onion, coriander leaves, black pepper etc.) and its the 3rd day to be precise, I marinated it on Saturday night. The reason for not being able to finish it up till now is because its 1 kg of chicken.

I think I'll cook this in keema style tonight (pressure cooker cooking) so that whatever bacteria there might be, well, gets cooked thoroughly.

But thanks for the info guys, no raw meat to be kept beyond 2 days now, aye aye!
Old 19th November 2013, 21:08   #1133
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I think I'll cook this in keema style tonight (pressure cooker cooking) so that whatever bacteria there might be, well, gets cooked thoroughly.
I think pressure cooking should do the trick.

Quote:
But thanks for the info guys, no raw meat to be kept beyond 2 days now, aye aye!
Yes, only way to keep it longer is to use Freezer but then thawing becomes pain.
Old 19th November 2013, 21:14   #1134
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetfreakBombay View Post
Yes, only way to keep it longer is to use Freezer but then thawing becomes pain.
Ok so somebody understands the pain, thanks! Incomplete thawing even when doing it overnight by transferring the meat from freezer to fridge section was why I kept it just like that.

I even tried defrosting chicken in the microwave that I have but it would most of the times end up cooking the meat from sides.

I guess I'll just resort to thawing only because working out and then cooking meals everyday is not possible. I'll try thawing marinated chicken again, don't really have any other option.
Old 20th November 2013, 07:36   #1135
BHPian

^ why not divide it into smaller portions and then keeping them in freezer. This way, you wont have to defrost the whole 1 kg when you just want to cook 250gms out of it.
Also, this way the process of thawing is better as you wont be melting the whole iceberg.

Regards,
Old 20th November 2013, 14:38   #1136
Senior - BHPian

What I do is to parcel the marinated meat into one day packets.
. First one cook
. Second one in refrigerator
. Third onwards in the freezer

Keep one full day for thawing, so take out the packet today that you will need day after.

By the way, I was told that with spices, especially turmeric and/or chillies the chicken will keep for five days. One of my freinds's son works in a big fast food company and they get their chicken from Punjab and as per their manual you can keep the marinated chicken for upto five days. They maintain a temperature of 1 degree in the refrigerator section and -20 in the freezer.
Old 20th November 2013, 21:12   #1137
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
.... They maintain a temperature of 1 degree in the refrigerator section and -20 in the freezer.
And how many fridges in India can achieve these numbers?
Single door fridges will seldom get better than 10°C in the fridge and never better than -10°C in the freezer!
The freezer temperature for double door fridges can be better, at about -18° or so.
Negative 20 or 28 are temperatures only deep freezers can attain.
Old 20th November 2013, 22:23   #1138
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amohit View Post
^ why not divide it into smaller portions and then keeping them in freezer. This way, you wont have to defrost the whole 1 kg when you just want to cook 250gms out of it.
Also, this way the process of thawing is better as you wont be melting the whole iceberg.

Regards,
And that's exactly what I do for fish. I usually buy 1-2kg of fish meat and divide into almost equal parts with each part to be consumed on a given day. Then I wrap it with cleanwrap without fish pieces touching each other.
Then I stack the wrapped fish in the freezer and take out one by one as needed.
This way thawing is much easier as meat pieces are not touching each other and I don't have to thaw whole fish but just the amount I need for that day.
Old 23rd November 2013, 19:06   #1139
BHPian

Query to the rice-eaters here:
Recently switched to the 'Ponni Boiled Rice' variety of rice since wifey finds this less chewey and smelly than the yellowish parboiled rice we used to buy earlier. Now, i find the Ponni boiled rice whiter than parboiled rice which tends to be yellowish in colour. Parboiling process, i understand, tends to give the rice that yellowish colour. So, is ponni boiled rice really a parboiled rice variant, or is it like Raw/white rice which is highly polished and hence nutient-deficient?
Old 24th November 2013, 22:05   #1140
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
Atta would give you a different result. No harm in experimenting a small batch. .. For that, it is better to leave it overnight. Or the prepare in the morning for dinner.
DerAlte, made the bhatura today and they came out delicious. The smell, and taste triggered memory of bhatura from childhood. Thank you

Most Viewed